Question: The "Random" Noob

Which loot system is most fair on a guided, protected, free TP run, if a newbie is in team with the

• Stack Share

Votes: 184 81.4%
  • Random

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • EFD share

Votes: 31 13.7%

• Total voters

Dalas

Prowler
Society
Death Unlimited
Luke Dalas Cambridge
(Just noticed the poll title is too long, last word is "guards")

Recently, I adopted a newbie into my society. He seemed cool.

I invited him on an Entropia Tour Agency TP run which was leaving from Swamp Camp in half an hour. All fine. Then somehow it came up about the loot system on the TP run. I said there would be a guard team protecting him so it wasn't about him getting money, since he had said he wanted to hunt on the way. I told him it would be a nice relaxing free run where he could meet some people.

First thing, he said he didn't want to go because he wanted to get loot himself. Ok, a bit weird but whatever, I thought. So loot was being discussed, and somehow we got onto loot distribution in the teams. This is when it got pretty weird and, I'll be honest, frustrating.

This newbie thought that while on a guided, protected and free TP run, he deserved to be put in a team with the guards on Random loot share. He called me an idiot for suggesting that Stack Share is the most fair loot system. He called me a liar for saying it wasn't all about money and then saying that he wouldn't be put in a team on Random loot share.

Here are some lines from our PM chat which lasted over an hour:

Me - "There is no such thing as a free lunch, especially here in EU. Here you get what you pay for
A newbie wishing for the same chance as an uber is asking too much
"

Newbie - "hmm well i dont think so actuly, uber or noob a 50 50 %rate for geting a loot is not unfair to the uber."

Me - "There is a team of Guards protecting the newbies from mobs
The Guards kill a mob which loots an item worth $10, 000 in REAL CASH, and the newbie, who spent nothing, gets it
What the hell is fair in that?
"

Newbie - "Playing is about having funn... letting others have funn..not beeing an idiot becouse some one got a good loot, og so,

Me - "When real money is involved, it is more than ONLY fun"

Newbie - "is it real monny ,,, the person dident have that money to start whit so the oerson dident loos anything... well"

Me - "They spent money on their avatar so they could kill mobs that loot expensive items"

Newbie - "thats their choise ... this is a GAME!!! and its for FUNN!!!"

Me - "They didn't spend it so that some noob could hijack their loot"

Newbie - "and you dont understand funn and that this is a game ... and your bade at talking for yourself,,becouse in the start you
said this is a game have funn its nott about monney , but now you show your tru collors it seems
"

So my question to you is:

On a guided, protected, free TP run, which is the most fair loot system, if a newbie happened for some reason to be in the same team as the guards?

Last edited:
No money no honey....

If you offer to take someone somewhere on your dime their reward is getting somewhere they wanted to go in a less stressful and costly way.

Damage stack share IF that new person was alllowed to be in team would be more then fair.

If they were not added to team and they still wanted to hunt they were more then welcome to shoot anything they desired along the way.. whatever the consiquences were. That way there is no argument over the fairness of the return.

Damage stack share is the fairest split, and share significant items to shooters (esi etc).

The longer you give people like this your attention the higher the probability of you being sucked in to their trap, and considering he has seeded enough doubt in your mind for you to make this thread I would consider yourself lucky that he didnt complete his objective.

Boot the dumbass from the team and say "there's your fun", then tp away
Yeah, pretty sure it's a second account, lol.

Real nubs don't argue that.

In fact a real nub wouldn't know the difference.

Damage stack share is generally the fairest.

The only thing is that when you are the noob (with a TT knife) and the Guards all have MM's it looks unfair when a spider gives a 10K hoff and you the noob get 10pec and the guards get 5k each....

It's a matter of perspective.
You, the guards, know it's fair as you have experiance.
From the noob's perspective it does not look fair he does not have the experiance. He (or she) does not yet know how much ammo it actually takes to kill a spider. The guards make it look easy. Blaat-Blaat-Blaat, and it's dead. Then they wonder why the did not get much of the loot.
They do not realise that they did 10 damage while the guards did 500,000 each.

Tried to think of an instance where I might use random loot.

Can't.

Guy was having a laugh, looking for a free lunch off other's efforts.

BAD Noob.

Hurrikane

Never use random! Percentage damage done = your loot. If there is a HOF and a particularly valuable item comes up, then that can be discussed. Noob needs an education I think.

give him a copy of your rig guide and send him off into the future :)

dmg stack share , ftw :)

cheers

ermik

Damage stack share is the fairest. No question about it. If the noob wants to shoot a few things and contribute, then that noob will get their share of what they contributed. If they don't contribute to the cost of generating the opportunity of that loot, they shouldn't get anything. That's how it works...

Well, I would say that is not only a newbie, if not a scammer. Would be good to have him like a freelancer for a while, before you get in any society. You should make public his name for do not receive him in other societies.

:(

Funny thing is, if he really plays just for fun, why does he want any loot? :)

Only maybe if the newbie is your wife, and all loot is in your own family :D

Tried to think of an instance where I might use random loot.

Can't.

Guy was having a laugh, looking for a free lunch off other's efforts.

BAD Noob.

Hurrikane

Easy and Simple.....
u know... EULA.....

"THIS IS NOT A GAME" !!

help thoose noobs who doesnt say u what to doo, u are the chief;) if someone wont listen... bye bye :cool:

Got to be..

You have to "shoot to loot."

If you dont shoot, you get no loot.

if some one out damages you. they need the bigger reward. they spent more,

Random loot, is there is there if you want to give people handouts.

This game is funn but this game is real mooney... and u need to spend real mooney to have funn...... Getting loot or real mooney is funn.... Spendinging real mooney is not funn. spendingng someone elses mooney is funn....

Jesus.... Noobs need to get over themselves. and learn before they start saying something dumb. Then again i dont think this is about noobs... i think it is human nature in general. All to be debated. night im going to bed. drunk again,.

Voted for shack share, but really wanted to vote for get away from the noob and let him rot with his "fun".

Ever had help from a medic? Made a team and what where the rules? Right, the medic is helping you a lot more then a noob on a free teleport run.

Second avatar or just plain ignorant.

:deal::newbie::deal:

He's a knob. Stack share is fair regardless of the reason the team is formed.

A reverse example of this is:

If you are giving someone a lift and you get a speeding fine you don't ask them to split it with you (If you do, then you're a knob too).

It's clear that the usual practice for stack share + splitting bigger items (MU included) is the fairest loot distribution.

But it's not the noob's fault for wanting a different loot splitting.
Chances are that the noob had his calculations right and he wanted "random loot" because he'll get advantage for taking bigger loot while spending far less ammo than the skilled veterans who "play for FUNN". To say so - a smartass :D

Ofc, perhaps he meant no harm. "Veterans play for fun, I play for the money, all is ok and fair". In his point of view, everything is cool.

Maybe he had wrong impression about the importance of the fun AND the money for the old players. If he was enthusiasticly explained that the FUN is the most important thing in the game i can easily see how he decided to take his shot for a "better" loot distribution. Better for him, of course.

:twocents:

I have taken noobs on TP runs in a team with random loot, as I believe others have as well. This was my choice and for me it is like giving a disciple some pixie I have in storage. Of course I wont do this on a proper hunt even on low end mobs, its just for the few mobs we bump into during the run.

A player demanding random loot implies he knows exactly why it is unfair and is just another form of begging.

GAAAH! I just wanna slap noobs that acts like this!!! *strangles teddybear*
Stack share ftw! :silly2:

Yes, I have done it too that i put loot on random when killing some small mobs, but its just unbelievable for the newbie to actually DEMAND the random lootsetting..

As some others said already - boot him from the team and say "its only a game, have fun yourself".

In regards to the poll, the whole point of guided TP runs is that the newbies are protected from the mobs. If they go around with weapons, they will run around like chickens to every red dot they see, and will end up dead all the time, ruining the whole point of the TP run.

With regards to this person, I'd say your newbie-detector is broken, make sure to not loan stuff to people, check twice when standing near a TT or repair-terminal, and get it fixed first thing in the morning.

LMAO! He's got a bloody cheek!

I've always led TP runs as DD/SS, on the rare occasions when the run globalled I've given everyone on the run a little bonus, usually about 50% split between the rest of the team. Anyone with an Opalo who shot and gains loot keeps what they looted.
I cover my costs and the effort of keeping the entire team alive while killing the mob, everyone who helps gets a fair share for their efforts and we all get a little bonus - seems fair to me :)
As loot is set to stack share I could legitimately keep everything I loot but I figure that I wouldn't be there, shooting that particular mob if I wasn't on the TP run so it's partly thanks to them that I/we globalled. It's an accurate enough split to keep everybody happy so I'll keep using it :)

Whenever I did tp runs for new players I never hunted, its a tp run not a hunt and I wanted it done asap.

It used to drive me nuts when someone else was leading and run us right through the middle of an atrox alpha region with a couple noobs using opalos and pixie. We'd spend more time running back to revive to get them or having to defend them than it took to go around in the safe zones so a run that could have taken me 20 minutes would take 2 hours.

I avoided all red dots on radar especially if going through regions where mobs I knew the noob couldn't handle because if they could they didn't need me ;)

Last edited:
This was a particularry hilarious situation indeed, Stack share is the only viable option for any kind of hunting activity.

ahhhh, the loot distribution

Vote Stack share ofc..... if they're "random" unknown noobs.

Last time I hunted with a noob it was with a disciple in vu9, and it was on random ;)
But it was my disciple, not a random noob.

If I do a TP run, I prefer to not make a team. I just wait for them, and tell them to be in 'follow' mode. Last time I was asked to make a passage through hords of merps in the LA N-E from Nea's, the person was just following me strictly, no team, no loot for him, ty & gl and :)

Better this way imho ;)

Lez. :wtg:

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I went to bed as soon as I posted it (it was late!) and I just read them all now.

A couple of things though.

The longer you give people like this your attention the higher the probability of you being sucked in to their trap, and considering he has seeded enough doubt in your mind for you to make this thread I would consider yourself lucky that he didnt complete his objective.

This is not about me being "in doubt". I know damn well that Stack Share + item split is the only fair way to do it. I made this thread partly so I could link the noob to it later and show him "Look, this is what everyone you may end up in a team with in the future thinks of you and your warped logic, now shut up". As far as attention goes, I always try to make people understand anything they don't immediately. To be honest I was just shocked to be debating this topic anyway because I thought everyone had the common sense enough to figure this one out.

give him a copy of your rig guide and send him off into the future :)

dmg stack share , ftw :)

cheers

ermik

Haha, nice one ermik. The thing is, do I really want to give a guy like this all that information? I mean it's already proven to have got someone their first ever oil. Do we really want a guy like this running around actually getting free money? I think not. A freeloader of the worst variety I reckon, not one that dislikes other freeloaders necessarily, but one who doesn't even know or care the value of what he's potentially freeloading, and gets upset when he doesn't get it!

Funny thing is, if he really plays just for fun, why does he want any loot? :)

Good question! Apparently I'm the liar because I said it wasn't about money but informed him that he wouldn't be in the same team as the guards. As a matter of fact, I wasn't going to be either hunting or in the guards team at all! So his thoughts of me being a "greedy" hypocrite are out the window right there.

...Maybe he had wrong impression about the importance of the fun AND the money for the old players. If he was enthusiasticly explained that the FUN is the most important thing in the game i can easily see how he decided to take his shot for a "better" loot distribution. Better for him, of course.

:twocents:

Come on man, I explained that there are items worth tens of thousands of real life dollars potentially involved. This warrants a bit of caution because of the sheer value and implications. I'm not all about money at all. Probably the furthest from it you can get in EU. I always emphasise the "FUNN" element of EU, but the money side does exist and we have to act accordingly (by being fair and respectful).

As some others said already - boot him from the team and say "its only a game, have fun yourself".

...With regards to this person, I'd say your newbie-detector is broken, make sure to not loan stuff to people, check twice when standing near a TT or repair-terminal, and get it fixed first thing in the morning.

Vote Stack share ofc..... if they're "random" unknown noobs...

Guys, this was not just a random newbie I picked up off the street. The reason the thread title has "Random" in it was because of the loot distribution he argued for, for an hour. He was a member of my society at the time (he left immediately after our hour-long arguement), so I was taking a lot more care over him than I might with an actual random noob. My newbie-detector is fine :) He wasn't new to MMOs so I guess he knew something about loot distributions from them.... Well....I guess he was a newbie to RCE then :laugh:

Please note the guy is 19 years old, but hell, I was more savvy than that when I started at 13, so that's no excuse!

Keep 'em coming :)

Damage decides

An option not listed in the poll, so I did not vote..but I take damge decides with a nob anyday of the week.

Just my 2 pecs

Seoul

(Just noticed the poll title is too long, last word is "guards")

Recently, I adopted a newbie into my society. He seemed cool.

I invited him on an Entropia Tour Agency TP run which was leaving from Swamp Camp in half an hour. All fine. Then somehow it came up about the loot system on the TP run. I said there would be a guard team protecting him so it wasn't about him getting money, since he had said he wanted to hunt on the way. I told him it would be a nice relaxing free run where he could meet some people.

First thing, he said he didn't want to go because he wanted to get loot himself. Ok, a bit weird but whatever, I thought. So loot was being discussed, and somehow we got onto loot distribution in the teams. This is when it got pretty weird and, I'll be honest, frustrating.

This newbie thought that while on a guided, protected and free TP run, he deserved to be put in a team with the guards on Random loot share. He called me an idiot for suggesting that Stack Share is the most fair loot system. He called me a liar for saying it wasn't all about money and then saying that he wouldn't be put in a team on Random loot share.

Here are some lines from our PM chat which lasted over an hour:

Me - "There is no such thing as a free lunch, especially here in EU. Here you get what you pay for
A newbie wishing for the same chance as an uber is asking too much
"

Newbie - "hmm well i dont think so actuly, uber or noob a 50 50 %rate for geting a loot is not unfair to the uber."

Me - "There is a team of Guards protecting the newbies from mobs
The Guards kill a mob which loots an item worth $10, 000 in REAL CASH, and the newbie, who spent nothing, gets it
What the hell is fair in that?
"

Newbie - "Playing is about having funn... letting others have funn..not beeing an idiot becouse some one got a good loot, og so,

Me - "When real money is involved, it is more than ONLY fun"

Newbie - "is it real monny ,,, the person dident have that money to start whit so the oerson dident loos anything... well"

Me - "They spent money on their avatar so they could kill mobs that loot expensive items"

Newbie - "thats their choise ... this is a GAME!!! and its for FUNN!!!"

Me - "They didn't spend it so that some noob could hijack their loot"

Newbie - "and you dont understand funn and that this is a game ... and your bade at talking for yourself,,becouse in the start you
said this is a game have funn its nott about monney , but now you show your tru collors it seems
"

So my question to you is:

On a guided, protected, free TP run, which is the most fair loot system, if a newbie happened for some reason to be in the same team as the guards?

An option not listed in the poll, so I did not vote..but I take damge decides with a nob anyday of the week.

Just my 2 pecs

Seoul

Umm, what about the "Other (please specify)" option?

Back