Elite
Society
Freelancer
Vintage Yquem Port
The Thing

Interesting

From Release notes

Mindark is proud to announce:

NEVERDIE Studios in partnership with Universal present a new themed Destination - Hunt The Thing! It is inspired by the coming Universal Studios movie The THING. The landscape is cold, with ice and snow. There is a laboratory there and you can find both scientists and military on site.

Getting there:As a current participant, the only way to enter this destination is by teleporting there from ROCKtropia.

[video]http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2985204761/[/video]

Will this be the Boss mob?

Last edited by a moderator:
When the servers come back up can someone who goes and visits this new planet please report back as to what is there and post so pictures for us that have to work and/or don't want to visit another planet just to get there :)

Well, since I don't go to Rocktropia I guess I won't be seeing this planet. I don't understand how you can only visit a new planet by teleporting from a current planet :scratch2:

Whenever the servers come up, can someone post screenies?

CP copy, most likely.

If true, Buzz is screwed.

Well, since I don't go to Rocktropia I guess I won't be seeing this planet. I don't understand how you can only visit a new planet by teleporting from a current planet :scratch2:

Guess it's like calypso and cp. Not a whole planet but rather an addition to RT.

Can't wait, not sure what for exactly :rolleyes:

Since it's only accesible via RT we know
i) it will be mega shit as it's remotely related to ND
ii) never visited as no one important ever visits RT
iii) will introduce a loot only found in killing 10000 daspletors in a mob with 500hp and does no damage whatsoever

hooray!

I thought SEE Virtual Worlds had contracts with Universal Studios regarding the rights to create MMO around their intellectual property. Did Universal flush SEE/SDS in exchange for NDS?

The movie (The Thing) is scheduled to open in mid-October. I hope to hell that among the twenty minutes of commercials you have to sit through before the main feature there will be some mention of Entropia Universe.

EDIT: Official movie website has link to The Game (coming soon, but still). :lolup: Might end driving biggest new player influx in five years!

Last edited:
Since it's only accesible via RT we know
i) it will be mega shit as it's remotely related to ND
ii) never visited as no one important ever visits RT
iii) will introduce a loot only found in killing 10000 daspletors in a mob with 500hp and does no damage whatsoever

hooray!

I think that kinda sums it up. :p

Cry cry cry cry wah wah wah

Say/think what you will, I'm excited!

Last edited:
Release Notes September 15th 2010 - Hunt The THING
by
Tenacity
Published on 09-15-2011 03:22 PM
0 Comments Comments
Release Notes: September 15th 2010

Hyperplex
-Hyperplex Movie Theater added to New Harlem.
-Hunt The THING now playing at the Hyperplex. (Starter & Expert Zones).
-No admission fee
-Pre-existing Weapons/Items are not required to participate in starter mode.

ROCKtropia
-ROCKtropia new arrival point moved to New Harlem.
-Missions added to New Harlem.

New Platform Systems Utilized
-Spread Weapons: Automatic firing while holding down the fire key.
-Damage Over Time (DOT) Weapons: DOT weapons continue to do damage to the mob or player over a period of time beyond the initial trigger pull.
-Explosive Area Damage: Certain PVP zones have new dangers and methods for inflicting high damage to vehicles & other players.
-Audio Driven Missions: Full command and audio directives of objectives and mission notifications.
-Environmental Hazard FX.

Fixes
-Kill Box removed from prison perimeter. Penalty for trespassing on prison grounds remains.
-Mobile phone no longer required to leave City of Dreams area.
-Performance optimization of City of Dreams, London & New Harlem.
-Mission fixes applied. Detailed list to follow.

Known Issues
-Estates still inoperable.
-Wave Spawners inoperable.
-Extraction point interaction ranges too short for smooth interaction.
-Extraction point passage rights currently function in single travel direction.
-Title shows up as ??? in achievements window.
-Weapons training requires the firing of 3 rounds while in the barricade at the targets, then the exiting of the barricade, re-entry into the barricade and the firing of an additional 3 rounds fired to complete.
-Weapons Crate #2 produces error.

Special Note: This version update contains strong language or certain language inappropriate for those younger than 18. Parent(s)/User discretion is advised.

I think that means that The Thing will be a "movie" in a virtual theatre you can play through? That sounds interesting! Not sure if NDS is capable of really making it work but I hope I will be surprised for good.

I thought SEE Virtual Worlds had contracts with Universal Studios regarding the rights to create MMO around their intellectual property. Did Universal flush SEE/SDS in exchange for NDS?

My first thought was that SEE must have contracted NDS to build the planet (doesn't sound like an actual planet but whatever) based on the licence they acquired from Universal.

This is obviously a deal rocktropia made with the producers of the thing prequel, so obviously you gotta go there to see it.

name of the new server Kim keeps talking about on ef? (maybe a new continent?)

No. SEE didn't have a contract for tuning any / all Universal studios property into MMOs, they had it for some specific set of "Monsters" from movies, hence Monsters aka Monster Hunting Planet. "The Thing", as a at that point unreleased "thing" ;) would not have been included.

The movie (The Thing) is scheduled to open in mid-October. I hope to hell that among the twenty minutes of commercials you have to sit through before the main feature there will be some mention of Entropia Universe.

Yes, that would be very cool :) Even just getting a mention in interviews from people from Universal would still be a good start.

MindArk has contacted me in order to correct an error in the syndicated release notes. The text has been updated to the following:

Mindark is proud to announce:

NEVERDIE Studios in partnership with Universal present a new themed Destination - Hunt The Thing! It is inspired by the coming Universal Studios movie The THING. The landscape is cold, with ice and snow. There is a laboratory there and you can find both scientists and military on site.

Getting there:As a current participant, the only way to enter this destination is by teleporting there from ROCKtropia.

Thread title edited to avoid confusion.

If this is made in the right way it is very interesting interactivity to a rl movie. And if this can be done pretty fast i see some very nice opportunitues for our little virtual world in the future.

We have seen other games made after a movie and movie made after a game. But have we seen this in our kind of game before?

There is some RL companies that might want to invest some money into Entropia (planets).

My first thought when I read the release notes and saw yet more territory being added was "too many planets, not enough players"...
but I just saw something which is making me forget that and getting me REALLY REALLY EXCITED! :yay:
On the official The THING Movie website there is a link to The Game -- currently just coming soon but it can't be any other game! :eyecrazy:

Looking forward to all the new players this should bring to our little universe!

MindArk has contacted me in order to correct an error in the syndicated release notes. The text has been updated to the following:

Thread title edited to avoid confusion.

Well that makes a lot more sense :)

But still interested on what it all is and seeing pictures

Not too curious tbh ... The film is a copy of John Carpenter's The Thing (they didn't even bother to invent a new name), so my shy guess is the game will just be another copy of something we've already seen (in 1982, lol - now go figure).

Not too curious tbh ... The film is a copy of John Carpenter's The Thing (they didn't even bother to invent a new name), so my shy guess is the game will just be another copy of something we've already seen (in 1982, lol - now go figure).

I think The Thing 1982 is just a copy of a 1950s film :)

You can't go to ancient greece without being on NI. You won't be able to go the underground on Arkadia without being on Arkadia. Its a collaboration with ND and RT. Makes perfect sense.

You can't go to ancient greece without being on NI. You won't be able to go the underground on Arkadia without being on Arkadia. Its a collaboration with ND and RT. Makes perfect sense.

Now that's it's not labeled as a 'Planet', yes it does make more sense.

Yes, now that the post has been updated to present it as a destination rather than as a planet.

Hell is a destination of RockTropia, Ancient Greece is a destination of Next Island, Underground will be a destination of Arkadia. However, RockTropia, Calypso, Next Island and Arkadia are all planets, a.k.a accessible from space rather than via another planet.

Back