The Thing: The Arctic Area - A Job well done By ND/ NDS.........one the the reasons why I"M still here in EU

Infinity01

Stalker
Banned
Society
Freelancer
Space Infinity01 Time
The Thing: The Arctic Area - A Job well done By ND/ NDS.........one of the reasons why I"M still here in EU

Currently I'm almost broke... thanks to MA for lootable space...

So, lately i was just doing sporadic hunting...recently enjoyed the atrox Queens event... lost some peds... but it was fun.

Then I heard of the release of "The Arctic"...I was not that very enthusiastic....as evidenced by this post:

However, after reading some of the post I wanted to give it a try... mostly coz of the natural environment... the arctic, and the antarctic have always fascinated me!

After going there the thing i enjoyed the most was the natural beauty of the Arctic.... It really looks very natural.... the sun, the fog, the snow, the icey road... the earth quake.... and with this environment you have this nice arctic outfit... I'm still exploring the arctic and gathering TP's (I was told 12 in total)

NDS has done a very nice job in the implementation of the graphics and physics engine... i've FPS of arround 70 to 80 at a very high quality with a screen resolution of 1600X1200...

The missions:

There are 2 tracks... scientist and soldier... i don't know if there are significant differences... other than the fact that a Soldier gets a shortgun, and a scientist gets a pistol!

I think there are 22 missions in the chain.... one needs to do 20 missins first ... before he/she can activate the "Hunt the thing" and after that "the escape".

None of the missions gives you any skills or attributes. But you do get free clothes, ammo, weapons, vehicles ( a hummer and a chopper). All are low TT's L items ..good enough for the missions:)

If you run out of ammo or break your weapon/healer.... you can buy them from the supplies (TT) from here 34407, 17306 at Camp Campbell. Alternatively if you are near a tp the fastest would be to get stuff from RT BAMF HQ TP!

The list of missions (alphabetically) is in the next post.

I think there is no good guidance on how to complete the missions ... one just has to try the npcs, and follow the track once activated. The most help one can get is by asking other fellow players...bearing in mind that one might get wrong guidance (ofcurse unintentional) ! Some tips on missions in this thread.

Of the intital 20 missions, there are some that have to be done sequentially... and for some other missions no such requirements ...so try every npcs including vehicles..

I think other than some bugs most missions are very easy...( I got the "Lights Out" bugged.... had to abandon it, and then restarted to finish it)

The hardest of all these missions is the final one ..."Hunt the thing" and then "escape"

One need to kill only one "the thing" after falling through the hole! .......and it's not that hard to kill one! I had BAMF zk6. so it was easy for me.... I tagged one from safe distance... and then the escape got activated....

and this escape part is the most difficult.... coz there are a lot of mobs... and one really need to know how to escape...and i've seen many people got stuck there.

IMHO this how one should do it:

1. First kill one "the thing" from a safe distance... if you need a help from a friend for fapping nice. If low HP and evade then use the tt armor + 5B plates.

2. Once the escape is activated, make sure you got it tracked... then confirm your exit path both in the radar and the map... and in the scene... look for potential obstucle to your vehicle. and how to nevigate through them.... the goal is not to avoid mobs on the track.. but to avoid obstucles to your vehicle on the path to the exit... once you are sure about your exit and the path get on the car and drive as fast as you can... a bit slower is better than stumbling upon an obstucle....

I've done it with my first attempt using my vehicle 4X4...and felt that it's really easy!

So, it's very important that people don't decay their vehicles... coz it's very vital to have enough of this low TT L vehicle to finish this final, and most difficult part of the mission!
The escape has to be completed (not get killed) to get the reward (the chopper.

In the past, for the most part, I've criticized ND/NDS.. There were lot of things I didn't like!
This time it's different!

With the introduction of Arctic ND/NDS have shown what is possible in EU... in terms of Graphics, natural scenes and adventures... trully enjoyed /enjoying it... at a very low cost....

It is not perfect... there are some bugs here and there... but nothing can be perfect!

But over all a job well done :)

Congratulations ND/NDS... ........... and thanks for giving us this fun:)

I'll try to add the Cords for the missions start and end point (if applicable) to make it a bit easier.

Also if you know the cords please add them in your post and share the fun!

Last edited:
Here is the list of the missions alphabetically.

The main intention of the list is to quicly identify which one you are missing. The sequence here is similar to the list you;ve in your mission log!

New Additon: Please note that there is a post (post # 41 in this thread) by Royal where she put down the list of missons in the sequence she encountered while doing it. If you are just staring the Arctic missions that post might be more helpful .... Thanks Royal :)

Registration Officer: 34345, 17248

1. no title (name)

2. Army weapon Crate (364 183) this locations gives you the flame thrower

3. Camp Campbell Location

4. DNA Verifications. activated after completion of "Reconfigure Satellites" @36485, 17456.... need to kill 10 wolves and upload data (automatically after 10 kill). The mission is completed after driving to the main gate @ 36495, 17613.

5. Driving towards the mountain
activated @ 36490 - 17805 just outside of the gate from reseache1. 2 check points

6. Find your destination

7. Gearing up for Adventure 3 component..
a. find the mechanic @ 34446, 17346
b. restore power to satellite @ 34633, 17148 (better done by tracking through missionlog)
c. Once the satellite power is restored and you come down to the ground, the Kill 3 Wolves get activated... once 3 wolves are killed you are instructed to come back to the mechanic to get your vehicle !

8. Hunt the thing (entrance for the Hole 38337, 19281) for details see the previous post/

9.Lights out: activated after completion of the "Adventure begins". It is activated @ 36493-17578.
It involves turning on the generator @36557, 17441. However, to get access to the generator one need a secirity card for a code. the security card can be found from a vehicle on the road side @ 36742, 17275.
At the generator after the first screen it gives 4 menu of choices, once you select one (2nd choice to start with) it will take you to next screen, procced....after clicking proceed it will bring back to the menu of choices and you need to select again...total 5 times... order of selections - 2,3,3,4,2

10 Meeting Dr. Marconi

11. Pick Up supplies to activate run west from this point 38296, 19354 and then follow the road to south. It was activated at 38242, 19257 for me. Mission completed after enetring the supply shed @38337, 19281

12. Reconfigure Satellites activated @ 36552, 17447 inside the building after turning on the generator (finishing lights out)

13 Searching Vehicles

14. Searching Vehicles (2nd)

not sure which vehicle search gives what.... but the one @ 36530, 17451 gave me ammo :) make sure you collect it... otherwise you might run out of ammo.

15. The adventures Begins

16 The story Unfolds

17. The wager (mission that gives clothes) it's the grunt @ 34411, 17272 (inside the building) choose the optioon take the bet

18. Up the Mountain activated @ 36442, 18362 after completion of of the story unfold and picking up frame througher from the weapon crate. 4 check points and the destination logan park in the neighborhood of the supply shed. I think after this one should attempt to activate the "pick up supplies"

19. weapon Cage inside building the cage infront of Col Whitely @ 34439, 17274. gives you ammo

20. Weapon Training after you get the weapon from the table behind col. Whitely go to the shooting range and shoot at the target X 3

21. Welcome to camp Campbell

22. Your weapon of choice I think it's from the Col. Whitely at 34449, 17276 inside the building. Grab the weapon (a pistol for a sceitntist, a rifle for a soldier) from the table behind Col. Whitely.

The mechanic on the roadside @ 34446, 17346 gives the car... Don't remember the name of the mission

List of TPs (the choppers are the tps!) Co-ordinates:

Tips: A lot of people think some TPs are bugged..and not working... not sure if it is a bug or not... but if you place your cursor close to the floor of the chopper you should see extractions.. once you see extractions only then rt click and operate... otherwise it won't work.

First TP after reaching the Arctic: 34335, 17245,

....from SoftHart
Camp Campbell 343-173
Extractions 383-191
Extractions 364-176
Extractions 391-203
LZ-1 386-219
LZ-2 378-236
LZ-3 354-230
LZ-4 352-204
LZ-5 365-223
LZ-6 391-235
LZ-7 365-238
LZ-8 375-222
LZ-9 355-219

Last edited:
Subscribing :)

Glad that you are liking something. good work m8!

It's worth visiting "the thing". good job NDS!
Free hummer, chopper, fancy clothes, weapons and free oil drop at base camp where "The thing" entrance hole.
&
Just a reminder to new player:
Its hard to kill "The Thing" with tt shotgun w/o help. So, get one of those RT BAMF shotgun.

Its hard to kill "The Thing" with tt shotgun w/o help. So, get one of those RT BAMF shotgun.

True, even a cheap BAMF zk1 did it for me while I just ran like mad past all the drooling THINGs :D.
Must applaude as well ... great job ND!

Glad that you are liking something. good work m8!

It's worth visiting "the thing". good job NDS!
Free hummer, chopper, fancy clothes, weapons and free oil drop at base camp where "The thing" entrance hole.
&
Just a reminder to new player:

Thanks Zen!
..and yes I'm really enjoying it :)

The Escape can be done easily by using your Truck :D, just drive through all of them, then get out of the truck at the end :silly2:

Great write-up I completed all the missions in the first few hours after launch and I am still in the oil area either helping people escape or randomly attacking players getting oil.

I have to say the Arctic rig is the most fun part for me, 99% of the people there use the same low end weapons and with the exploding barrels everyone has a chance to have fun :)

Yeah The Thing was a nice experience! :)
In tt armor+5b I didn't have a huge problem killing the Thing.
They got the atmosphere quite right that was a very nice surprise when I got there. It's a huge contrast to the rather dull and unimaginative regular ROCKtropia environment. The rewards are pretty cool too even though the vehicles are just retextured generic objects.

I really enjoying that..

Yeah The Thing was a nice experience! :)
In tt armor+5b I didn't have a huge problem killing the Thing.
They got the atmosphere quite right that was a very nice surprise when I got there. It's a huge contrast to the rather dull and unimaginative regular ROCKtropia environment. The rewards are pretty cool too even though the vehicles are just retextured generic objects.

I made it almost to the end..I have to go back after race today and see if I can continue and get the flamethrower..But I have to say they really did a great job on this place!!..Hats off to NDS!! :wtg:

Congratulations ND/NDS... ........... and thanks for giving us this fun:)

I'll try to add the Cords for the missions start and end point (if applicable) to make it a bit easier.

Also if you know the cords please add them in your post and share the fun!

I agree, great job! My only complaint is that I can't continue to hunt because I can't find a fap that can be used there and the one that was given is dead :(

Here are the Coords for the "Up the Mountain" mission which also is where the flame thrower is 36436-18346
That was the only one I wrote down cause it was bugged for me. I had to abandon and do it again.

And coords for some of the tps

378-236
366-223
365-238
375-222

Some of them you have to walk all over before you get the tp alert.

Also here is the code for the Lights Out Mission: 2,3,3,4,2

I agree, great job! My only complaint is that I can't continue to hunt because I can't find a fap that can be used there and the one that was given is dead :(

Here are the Coords for the "Up the Mountain" mission which also is where the flame thrower is 36436-18346
That was the only one I wrote down cause it was bugged for me. I had to abandon and do it again.

378-236
366-223
365-238
375-222

Some of them you have to walk all over before you get the tp alert.

now you can buy medkits from tt there
you have to buy a few because of low tt but you can keep hunting

nevermind :)

Last edited:

378-236
366-223
365-238
375-222

Thanks, SoftHart for the tp cords.. I was missing 2 tps, and got them from your list.... Now I think i've all the tp's (12 in total) :)

now you can buy medkits from tt there
you have to buy a few because of low tt but you can keep hunting

Since when? This last update?

Thanks, SoftHart for the tp cords.. I was missing 2 tps, and got them from your list.... Now I think i've all the tp's (12 in total) :)

yw :) I don't recall how many total there was.

Agreed. Great concept and execution. This could be a huge thing for EU. But I`m also stalled on the flamethrower mission. There were a few bugs but they got sorted fast.

Seems like the tp's are bugged now. Took forever to get the map to pop up. :mad:

Seems like the tp's are bugged now. Took forever to get the map to pop up. :mad:

SoftHart, Tp's are not bugged, at least last time i've checked... See what i've written in my 2nd post regarding TPs and Bugs:

List of TPs (the choppers are the tps!) Co-ordinates:

Tips: A lot of people think some TPs are bugged..and not working... not sure if it is a bug or not... but if you place your cursor close to the floor of the chopper you should see extractions.. once you see extractions only then rt click and operate... otherwise it won't work.

I'll check again.... and if really bugged I'll post back here!

EDIT: All TP's are working....

I also think there are more than 12 TPs based on the numbering ....I'm missing LZ Expert 4!

Last edited:
Ok, maybe not bugged.

They aren't working properly then :) If I double click they should work. If I right click and say operate, they should work. Just as any other tp :)

I think when I was on I counted 13. But that's not to say that I have all of them.

I'm missing LZ Expert 4, based on numbering there should be one...anyone came across it yet?

That would make 9 tps in the north that show up on map and a couple on the south.

Last edited:
I still don't have flamethrower..

Okay..I logged off at last mission before going down in hole to fight "Thing"..I had gone back through early missions and still can't seem to get flamethrower..Maybe I will go back around when I get chopper..:(

Okay..I logged off at last mission before going down in hole to fight "Thing"..I had gone back through early missions and still can't seem to get flamethrower..Maybe I will go back around when I get chopper..:(

You do not get it at the end, but in the middle of the mission, you went through an isolated outpost, you loot it in the storage.

Its in a box next to the NPC that gives you the mission. :)

Awwwww...Thank You

Its in a box next to the NPC that gives you the mission. :)

You do not get it at the end, but in the middle of the mission, you went through an isolated outpost, you loot it in the storage.

Thank You..ninforever and SoftHart..I know where that outpost is and you hit the crazy guy NPC (has only ? over his head) But all he says is "My friends are my enemys"..and answer box just says "OK"..Then thats it. and when I operate that crate its says"This is not accessable at this time" to pick up flamethrower.I went back through missions before that one to see if I had missed something,but alas I got same message again..Grrrr...Which did you guys click..Scientist or soldier at beginning?..Thanks so much..sweet... + rep. ;)

Anyone found he LZ4 TP yet, seems there should be one but so far have not seen it reported.

Hmmmm

Anyone found he LZ4 TP yet, seems there should be one but so far have not seen it reported.

I'm not sure where that is in the mission is...Maybe post your question on RT forum they can help you http://www.neverdie.com/forum.php But I think there is a TP map floating around somewhere for Arctic?..Sorry not much help..:(

I tried many ways..... no chance yet..... I think NDS kept it like this to keep us looking for it... lol.... anyway it's fun..... searching for it in the arctic .... i'm still enjoying it :) .....

Last edited:
Thank You..ninforever and SoftHart..I know where that outpost is and you hit the crazy guy NPC (has only ? over his head) But all he says is "My friends are my enemys"..and answer box just says "OK"..Then thats it. and when I operate that crate its says"This is not accessable at this time" to pick up flamethrower.I went back through missions before that one to see if I had missed something,but alas I got same message again..Grrrr...Which did you guys click..Scientist or soldier at beginning?..Thanks so much..sweet... + rep. ;)

I don't remember what activated it and what sequences are involved. But the key elements to get the flame thrower are these NPCs, the cords and the location in the Map.........all in a single screenshot!

BTW I took the scientist path :)

Last edited:
I don't remember what activated it and what sequences are involved. But the key elements to get the flame thrower are these NPCs, the cords and the location in the Map.........all in a single screenshots!

BTW I took the scientist path :)

I took soldier path..Yes I was there at that place..and got that message above I wrote. :(Funny thing was when Mac and Blondie did mission together(doing exact same things together) one of them got flamethrower and other did not for some reason..Hmmm? I won't stop trying dammit!!..Thanks Infinity for screenshot too..very nice of you also :D

Very fun adventure NDS made here and I love challenges!!

Back