thoughts from a now ex-player.. the good bad and ugly

pipeboy

Old
Peterbuilt Ford Kenworth
Just wanted to post my thoughts about my 6 month tour of duty in the entropia universe. I just cashed out,but i just got this pc and entropia was the only game i had installed so i'm posting while i download some new stuff. First the basic stuff.. This is at least my 20th mmorpg some i played for years some just a few hours. I'm in construction and have loads of time on my hands in winter due to weather where i live..now about the game... i had depoed 5k over time just took out 3.3k so approx 300 ped per month to play.. so twice a normal mmorpg subsrciption and i can't say i didn't enjoy myself for the money because for the most part i did. let me add that i played anwhere from 6-16 hours a day 7 days a week so you milage will vary. The good things first..its one helluva good concept, its a beautiful game, i love that people all over the world are all in same game at same time and i personally have a fondness for sci-fi settings. I also like that we are allowed a lot of latitude in these boards to speak pro and con.
Now my complaints and problems that I see, these are my OPINIONS take em or leave em
I spent more time reading about the game before and during my playing period than on any other game by at least 20x .
because money is at stake obviously. Problem number one is the nature of these forums themselves. People on these forums are your competitors and while alot give good honest advice about the game, alot do not. People that have been around for awhile have a vested interest in keeping new people coming in but ALSO not sharing any ways to make money they have found. All about finding a niche but not their niche :) Heres what i have read and found to be fairly true about loot in reality and how I was STARTING to have sucess before the issues i have made me quit. Nothing is factual just observations. People have posted loot comes in waves... i believe this to be true, low loot cycles and high loot cycles..i believe this is tied to the avatar not the mob. The mob you are killing or place you are mining decides what you are going to loot,your avatars place on the loot wave decides the quantity or value of the loot..My advice isn't to just push through the cycle on same mob and just keep big bankroll to get by... my advice it to swallow your pride go as basic as u can with as little decay as possible as soon u get into bad cycle and once u see loot is coming back around... hunt or mine over your head as far as you possibly can till good cycle is over. I was having really good luck with this. You will see the cycles after awhile... the length of them or when they occur varies just be ready to adapt. i think the 4-5 digit hofs are totally random and only way to play them is to just be hunting crafting or mining when they pop and hope your number is up. How much u deposit has little if anything to do with it ..i gave my wife all her peds through me and she had cycles good and bad just like me.In fact she globaled on bercyle mature with many many less peds cycled than i did before my first global.

The loot didn't make me quit .. it was a number of things that made me cashout .listed in no particular order
1) no ingame gms or fast support.. had a number of issues as i'm sure everyone has..you can mail fedex to sweden faster than they can post response.no exscuse for this whatsover, baring natural disaster.. its part of running a game..deal with it.
2) No regular upate information like a monthly or quarterly letter from the devs WTF ?
3)someone posted MA's quarterly statement (it was pretty ugly) I think MA wants to do more for the game as far as improvements but i do not think they have the money to do much if anything right now.
4)charging to go to next island and its not done??? i got screwed hard here.. it shouldn't have anything to do with pilots as pilots didn't have the planet when they bought landing pad I walked for like 62 minutes without seeing a mob or another player.and paid 8 bucks for this privilage
5) seeing next island and thinking if this is future for entropia its gonna suck...shear cliffs and fall damage everywhere..your funneled through high damage,high aggro, low hp hard to see mobs if u want to get anywhere on foot anyways and loot thats not really loot ..not sure what its all about.. hard to have an opinion on it when no one explains it..going back to issue 1 and 2
6)piss poor resolution for bugged MM was last straw for me but it was all of above combined really

i want to say a big thanks to alot of posters on here for some good advice and i even learned from the not so good advice

Cya around next month! :)

Reactions: Cee
Next island is in Beta mode atm I think

your funneled through high damage,high aggro, low hp hard to see mobs if u want to get anywhere on foot anyways and loot thats not really loot ..not sure what its all about.. hard to have an opinion on it when no one explains it..going back to issue 1 and 2
Well actually mobs on NI do low damage have medium aggro and ultra high hp. However I completely agree with you when it comes to the loot! Loot on NI is completely pointless.
That´s why i left the planet and will not return unless it gets fixed before the planet team goes belly up.

I think you are very smart and have learned alot. The hardest part about Entropia is knowing when to walk away if things are bad. By the time most realise this time has passed they are either tooo deep financially or have a monkey on their shoulder steering them down the road past the exit.

It is quite sad seeing so much potential going to waste over extremely poor buisness decissions.

Gl in all you do and pop back in should you find a viable replacement for EU to share with the rest of us.

Nd's piece of the place was open and had enough mobs, i thought racetrack was good idea,the mainland was mostly (80-90%?) empty except for punys and the high aggro monkeys in my earlier post. i've seen posts it was open and i have seen posts its not open till first of year, but no OFFICIAL posts on anything which is sad...either way i got suckered out of 80 ped :)

Nd's piece of the place was open and had enough mobs, i thought racetrack was good idea,the mainland was mostly (80-90%?) empty except for punys and the high aggro monkeys in my earlier post. i've seen posts it was open and i have seen posts its not open till first of year, but no OFFICIAL posts on anything which is sad...either way i got suckered out of 80 ped :)

You should try the Next Island forum then. ND stated that something screwed up with the live servers and this was also Davids Post comment on it all. Theur launch date was pushed by to 10th Jan. Those where the official statements of the partner and the dev studio. So maybe next time go to the right forum to get official statements of the partners.

Other then that the charging is because of the hangers etc. Also to keep the planet playerbase where it is. Everybody knew it was a beta and that not everything was fixed. We all know how rocktropia went in the beginninf
Also MA is in the red because it invests a lot. This was also the case back in 2002 when it had a rough year. You have to invest first and make depts before becoming a succes

Also I never saw a game update so much in a year. We almost had a update every 1-2 weeks ? thats quite alot for a small team in Sweden. Anyways hope to see you back ingame soon and hope this work out better then. Every player here left at one point to do something else and returned back

3)someone posted MA's quarterly statement (it was pretty ugly) I think MA wants to do more for the game as far as improvements but i do not think they have the money to do much if anything right now.

:laugh: They`ve just sold FPC(few months ago) for over 6mil$. I believe they have enough cash secured to do lots of things.

Just want to confirm what Pipeboy and Trina have said here. I've found it to be the case. No comment on Next Island though because I never went there. No comment on the other reasons for quitting, some because I'm a game developer and therefore have extra patience with development teams; the rest of those reasons have not motivated me to quit the game, only to deposit less less often. Overall I love Calypso, I just whine when some little thing gets really bad.

:laugh: They`ve just sold FPC(few months ago) for over 6mil$. I believe they have enough cash secured to do lots of things.

Yeah this year they will paint the castle they own white and set up a new restaraunt to give the devs something to fall back on should the "Platform" fail

I think this is the very good example of a costumer on which FPC/MA would have to pay a lot of attention.
A lot of ppl are comming around (as wished) and leave shortly after (as not wished) because of reasons you well discrabed.
We "old farts" are so addicted (admit it or not m8s) that we are not seeing the picture from the sober angle.
This kind of thread should be above the desk of every dude at MA/FPC as a reminder that a happy customer is a good customer which takes even more customers around.:wise:
Just my 2pcs.
Seb

I think the opening post sums up what i think. only thing i don't agree with is fall damage but all else is what i think about daily, but i haven't thrown in the towel yet.

I think the opening post sums up what i think. only thing i don't agree with is fall damage but all else is what i think about daily, but i haven't thrown in the towel yet.

I threw in the towel a while back, but no regrets, I found another game which is a hell of a lot of fun to play for the time being :)

Not sure I will come back if I keep finding fun games to play that only cost $15 bucks a month, and you save 1500 a month.

Good post pipeboy, at least you know when to quit and don't need to keep lube handy.

I'm about to make a (hopefully) triumphant return to this wonderful place. Glad to see people still sitting all over the damn fence and in both yards regarding the running of PE. Should be like I never left...

I'm about to make a (hopefully) triumphant return to this wonderful place. Glad to see people still sitting all over the damn fence and in both yards regarding the running of PE. Should be like I never left...

HEHE welcome back Joser :)

Yes it is the same old same old ;)

Back