Question: Thoughts on auction scamming

why not add a possibility to ignore a seller ,then it will never show again his items on market, problem done, no ?
Was just about to write this.. if i for some reason I ignore someone, i probably don't want anything to do with that person, especially not buying their stuff on Auction without noticing.
When ignoring a pop-up could appear where you can select if want to block said persons chats or everything like auction etc.
Sure, it doesn't help the first time but when you spot someone regularly setting crazy BOs, ignore and never be bothered again.

Ok, first post here was deleted for calling someone a scammer.. I'll rephrase! (you could have just deleted the name kind admin sir/madam)

MA doesn't care about auction mistakes. They happen all the time and have been for years, all trades are final in the end. It's atleast a couple of times/month people sell a stack of deeds for the price of one. Certain resellers continue making orders for them hoping someone makes a mistake.

Unreal will fix everything... :p
In some cases MA do care about it.. there was a well known deed listing by a certain rookie channel spammer that got reversed.

why not add a possibility to ignore a seller ,then it will never show again his items on market, problem done, no ?
I fear this would result in undesired chilling effects and scare some legitimate sellers away from listing uncommon items of contentious value.

I would prefer to see an Advanced Settings page on the auction where one could program rules such as "only show me the 10 cheapest search results" or "prevent me from paying more than 1000 PED for a single bid." These could, of course, be changed at any time by the individual.

This would be great. But don't some countries (like Sweden?) use a . Instead of , when listing numbers?
commas, periods, spaces, ice-cream cones, whatever, so long as a visual delimiter is used. We'll get used to it.

This would be great. But don't some countries (like Sweden?) use a . Instead of , when listing numbers?
thats just because some banking sistems understand the 50.000,20 usd a sum and some other understand 50000,20 another sum.

ofcourse this is a way to scam ppl...sad but some ppl try this.

imo..seller should be banned for life

I can't understand for the life of me, why doesn't MA just add delimiters in the numbers?

70,000,000 MUCH easier to read than

(Or, did you not notice, which is my point exactly.)
you are a genius, but not better than
10,000 instead of
it will be much easier to read!

It sucks that this happens but it's not a scam, nor is it against any rules to make listings at whatever price.

The responsibility is on the buyer to do their due diligence and that includes double checking the price they're paying.

What is worse is the collusion/corruption that occurs between friends and society members who BO listings if a seller "makes a mistake" then returns the item via private trade. This is far more prevalent and far more detrimental. It's literally the definition of market manipulation. It's also against the TOS and hardly ever gets punished AFAIK.

imo..seller should be banned for life
Hard pass on this one. If you forced me to choose, I would rather live in a world in which every last player attempts this psychology against me every day, and the burden falls squarely on me to develop protective habits, than a world in which it is acceptable for MindArk to yeet players from existence at will based on one red flag of an ethically-questionable tactic.

I can agree it's an attempt to gain by confusion or apathy.

But , we are all adults and do not need more oversight.

MA could add delimiters , but I see limits as to how we are able to list an item , is the nanny state with which I am sure the majority are against.

I am not a bot , and do not need to be treated as one.

Bumping this thread as there is a pretty obvious one going on right now. I wouldn't see it as an issue in any other game as the currency in this game is real money and can have big real life consequences for some over a mistake I believe most people could make from having an off day or exhaustion.

If I had to make a suggestion, it would be to pop up a larger prompt or a prompt in the middle of the screen with large text (something people are not used to seeing for those of us who often make 20 or more purchases daily) if the purchase is being made on an item that is more than double the yearly markup and more than 500 ped total so the annoying prompt would only pop up on numbers that would most likely have a really big impact on a person.

just to point out, there was an order on ah today for a shopkeepers pad at tt+ 10 ped. this is a clear scam attempt, and probably no one who is older than 1 month in this game would fall for it, but still this should not be allowed. a lot of people do stupid shit in EU ( example, i tted my UL vivo in my 1st week cause some mentor told me its useless)🤣. You could have someone drunk or high enough to actually sell a SP for 10 ped.

I wouldn't see it as an issue in any other game as the currency in this game is real money and can have big real life consequences for some over a mistake I believe most people could make from having an off day or exhaustion.
It seems to me, in that case, that you should not see it as an issue in Entropia either. Indeed it would be quite bizarre if roleplaying the capture of a queen in a game of chess was ordinarily morally neutral, but suddenly became "scamming" or "shameful" or otherwise morally prohibited when the game was played for a wager. This is true despite the fact that you could in principle assess the real life financial consequences of the action by computing the reduction in the captured player's probability of victory as a result of losing the queen, AND despite the fact that capturing a queen in real life is not morally permissible.

I do agree that heightened consequences of mistakes might motivate your ideas about warnings with bigger fonts, etc., but it is hard to see how they warrant the accusatory language in your original post or thread title since you say your conclusions are only based on the fact that Entropia is an RCE.

Easiest way to prevent this would be to add another warning message that pops up that describes what exactly is happening if you try to sell something way under market price. If you click out of the message, your fault plain and simple.

There are many other forms of abuse using the in-game auction, for example, one day, a new avatar no one has ever seen before shows up and starts listing high end crafted stuff that only someone who has been playing for years could craft. The new avatar's EL is conveniently hidden so no one can check if this person has even had a global in this game before... It's pretty obvious that this new avatar is just a multi account that was created only to get an additional 30 slots on the auction.

Tbh, I find this whole thread quite hypocritical lethal ..

As MA changed a lots of things in EULA to prevent money laundering and also as we have read on forum several cases of players being banned because of fraud transaction in game and or irl, agree that it can be a scam, but I also immediately thought of a transaction between players :eek:

ok everything is recorded for MA to verify, and even more If you trade directly.
But using auction this high, it may be a new option that people who do money laundering have found

no proof or nothing but it seems to me that it could be.

the more important would be to know at what prices this item has been sold. If it was really sold at BO then there is something suspicious for sure

auction reputation, like on second had sites

fun and games till someone dislikes someone else and just bombs rating for perosnal disputes.

Then people who are unkown to either party will have to see someone being on paper the uttmost peorsonal trash just because someone else really disliked them and got all their friends and family or by other means along to bomb their rating etc.

Good thought but prone to some severe drawbacks. and i feel EU has a lot of those grudgy people who would do that to one another.

It should just be a clear cut deal where if its a obvious scam / repeat offender just have MA interfere. People seem to think that doing this shit irl is legal, except not knowing price gauging is not really legal irl either. Just look at all the morons who bought all the hand sanitizers or masks etc during the plague, and then just got told to fuck off when trying to resell it again at hyper inflated prices. I read about someone who still had their garage full, hundreds of boxes of masks, soap, sanitizer, wipes etc.

A better solution could just be dead ass simple.

A Buyout can only be within a certain % of the Starting bid. That way you would not be able to list a item with a realistic SB, and a BO that is 1 imllion ped. and sure you could argue "but what about people putting 1ped SB and a realistic buyout" well then can choose, do they wanna try to realisitcally sell their items, or do they wanna run a bid war to see what they can get. A small price to pay to fuck over scammers.

Back