Thread Against falling damage

Are you with or against the falling damage feature?

• I'm with,i like the ability to take damage in every kind of fall.

Votes: 59 22.7%
  • I'm against this feature, takes all the pleasure of a run trought the mountains and its annoying.

Votes: 89 34.2%
  • I guess something could be worked and make damage only in great falls (100+meters fall for example).

Votes: 96 36.9%
  • I have no opinion regarding this matter.

Votes: 16 6.2%

• Total voters
Falling dmg = tax on us the players. Was anyone complaining before the update that they wanted falling dmg?

...But i'm not tottaly against the damage thing, i just think that this needs some rearrangement. They could make it so you could only take damage when falling straight more than a XXX meters, not when your running down a "normal" smooth hill and get damage almost every step.. there are situations where a small hit of these could kill you in a hunt.. at least for my level...

I agree with this. As all new things, always is needed improvements. I hope Mindark listen this, and will makes the rearrangements that would be necesary. People dont die running down an smooth hill. Nor is affected for that. I think MA will correct this excess. ;)

Was anyone complaining before the update that they wanted falling dmg?

i think nobody. However this is a natural consequence from VTOL implementation (airplanes). But really i hope mindark will correct the excess. :D

poll results are very clear 70% is against of fall dmg in excess... (only 20% is supporting the fall dmg feature)

I think tuning it to make it more reasonable is the way to go.

If I run down a hill I should be fine. If I jump off a small bump I should be fine.

If I jump off a steep hill I can see taking a small amount of damage somewhere between 0.1 and 9.9 points.

If I jump off a cliff I should take damage that depends how far I fall varying from 10 points to 500 points depending on height.

Also, just to be fair, if we take damage from something then any mob doing the same thing should take an equivalent amount of damage.

Oh, and as far as TP chips..... I have the skill to get to the right location, I should be able to land with my feet on solid ground too.

Last edited:
I m not against the fallin damage, it s just sad MA remove some that was very funny. Infact jumping from an high mountain was, since evr, a Calypsian very funny activity. No more fun :-(

"Hoverboots that slow you down just enough to not get hurt (L)"

Damage etc fine with me.

Its just another way of skilling and cost is very minor.

It may be somewhere however, I have not seen it but how much of the new damage is skill related.

I am mid skill around 170 and I have tested the damage jumping of cliffs etc (both in and out of vehicles) and the damage is very minor. There is no way I could kill myself.

Jung

Hi everyone.
I'm somehow pissed of because a simple jump makes some damage too on the avatars.
I would understand taking some damage in a huge fall, but c'mon, taking damage even while going down a small hill, no jumps at all, it's insane...
It's typical from Mindark to take out every little bit of fun we have with avatars.
First was the ability to run while sitted down (fun like hell really :D) then small bugs that didnt affected at all any business, and now we take damage if we make a downhill run...
I'm hoping we can make a petition to Mindark remove this so called "feature".
Who's sharing my opinion and who's with this feature?

Very true, missions with lot of tp'ing and atm no mobs like evisc made us die after a "bad tp trip", so restarting the mission again... well our peds have to go somewhere .. :(

from the series "be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it " :
- part I : i wanted FPC/MA to have it's own forum and we got one , though not the way many expected :laugh:
- part II : when VU 10 appeared many asked where is the physics ?
and now i see : Cryengine physics - damage avatars on falling .
i have to admit that i don't wish for anything else , because i am affraid of the outcome :lolup:

Last edited:
Damage etc fine with me.

Its just another way of skilling and cost is very minor.

It may be somewhere however, I have not seen it but how much of the new damage is skill related.

I am mid skill around 170 and I have tested the damage jumping of cliffs etc (both in and out of vehicles) and the damage is very minor. There is no way I could kill myself.

Jung

He, dunno what you call cliff etc... But jump from platform at rig ( not the highest one ) will kill you like nothing..

Falling damage is fine but I think there shouldn't be any damage on an small incline or jumping. Falling off a large hill or mountain and taking damage makes sense to me. For all those swinging their fist in the air get out and play other mmos. I have yet to play one that you DON'T take damage from falling off a mountain.

Kosmos

Personally I hate it. I realize it's not going away, but I hate it none the less.

Well I am ambivalent, I kinda like the damage when falling, but not while running downhill. Needs to be tweaked IMO.

Obie

I can understand it's more relistic to get dmg when we fall of a high cliff or a high platform. But what we have now needs to be fixed.
I was mining CND yesterday, few domes have cliffs and mountains and when you just run straight you get dmg. It's like for example dome 10 - both tps are on cliffs with one narrow way to climb up that noone takes on entering the dome.

That's a good idea in general for high objects, but it's lame for low ones... same as someone posted here dmg on leaving a trade centre? With aircrafts it's logical we get dmg on fall, but to hurt yourself because you miss a step or jump a bit down?

It needs a big fix.

I think tuning it to make it more reasonable is the way to go.

If I run down a hill I should be fine. If I jump off a small bump I should be fine.

If I jump off a steep hill I can see taking a small amount of damage somewhere between 0.1 and 9.9 points.

If I jump off a cliff I should take damage that depends how far I fall varying from 10 points to 500 points depending on height.

Also, just to be fair, if we take damage from something then any mob doing the same thing should take an equivalent amount of damage.

I agree with Calin,, And especially the bolded part; Fall damage does not make things more realistic if for example a daikiba-young still can survive a fall of 100+meters :wise:

Well its a new feature, most new features MA implement are a little bugged or excessive and generally need fine tuning.

I wouldn't get too upset about it, it will be refined to be in balance with what it is intended to achieve.

I hope lol

Anyway, does Hanne/FPC team have any comments on this new feature as of yet ?

Took me 10 seconds to learn watch where I run to. Are you guys blind or?

I'm not against it. It adds realism to the game, we can do occasional small increases of that. The formula and amounts need fine tuning, sure, but it is not really a bad thing. In a year newbs will be necroing this thread and going "WTF? I never take falling damage except when I do something braindead".

Took me 10 seconds to learn watch where I run to. Are you guys blind or?

No, I'm not blind. Had my eyes fixed irl few years ago, thank you very much. I don't even need glasses anymore :rolleyes:

Try running without dmg in dome 11 or 9 on CND if you're so smart. Problem is there are places where you just cannot run without dmg and it's a bit annoying. Sure I don't need to heal after 10.0 dmg or I can heal and gain medical skills but I don't like it to get hurt while mining...
And I agree that if we fall from somewhere and get dmg same should happen with the creatures.

I love the fall damage, gives a more realistic feeling in EU, even if it could be modified to make it work more "realistic"

Sometimes we take damage too easy I would say, but I still enjoy it for some reason...

and as someone mentioned on the first page, can't remember who...

Why should we take damage when we fall and not the mobs?

Why can mobs get invulnerable when trapped and we can still be vulnerable?

Mobs are special, we should not be able to profit from a feature like fall damage and I am 100% sure if they took damage by falling, we would get the same message as we get when turrets kill them... :) ... ¨

Just like we can't trap them and kill them :)

I am for it, with a but...

I posted a while ago about introducing Parkour to EU. I updated the old thread with this suggestion:

One very important thing to learn when you practice Parkour is to roll when you fall from a height.

There are two ways I can see for FPC to change (decrease the impact of) falling damage using this roll technique:

1. Auto-roll. This would be a roll that happens automatically when you fall from a height. The exact height could be predetermined by the system to save us being damaged from a fall of say 2 metres.

2. Manual roll. This roll could have a key binding and we would have to press our Roll key at the crucial moment when landing from a high (2 - 3m) fall. This would be harder to master but would add some quick-thinking and exciting gameplay for those who wished for it.

I think it could work best if both were implemented and Auto-roll could be selected in Options, but if you chose the Manual roll, you could make it from a bigger height, since it would actually take some effort to get used to and figure out. The bigger height could act as a bonus/reward for getting it right manually.

When I first pitched up in Project Entropia five years ago it felt wrong that I could throw my avatar off the wreckage of the elevated highway at Zychion and survive, never mind not sustain damage. So I for one am happy that EU is a slightly more realistic environment.

Sorry havent read all threads BUT :

Agility would make falls less damaging to an ava , thats moore like it in rl ´

If im a trained athlete as my ava is. I sure wouldnt be hurt by a smal jump,

PS , I voted : this is crap with damage, when we jump or fall.
We are superhumans remember ?

So far, haven't seen any1 from MA saying anything about this, but sure this needs to be fixed..
I agree with mobs taking damage too when falling, but there's something pointing out.. If your hunting a mob, and the mobs gets some fall damage, and dies and you get the "this creature is not lootable" msg after spending some ammo on it, it's a pain in the ass...
But as far as i can see, fix this please MA, let it take damage only in long falls, makes no sense taking any kind of damage just because theres a hole in the road... :rolleyes:
And the "its more realistic" excuse, please give me a break.. it's realistic to put my car in the pocket? To have a shitload of weapons, clothes, armor and tools and be able to run like if i had nothing on me?

I agree. Because if not, is possible that a miner unarmed and persecuted by animals in the mountains, must be killed by mobs as the only option for him.

Besides, if it wants more reality; the mobs must be afected by gravity (damage) in equivalent way that humans... is the fair option.

Besides, if it wants more reality; the mobs must be afected by gravity (damage) in equivalent way that humans... is the fair option.
Yes, mobs need to take fall damage too. This way n00bs can have a new job other then sweating -- they can be herders, and herd lots of mobs for higher level hunters so that they lead the mobs off of the cliff and commit suicide so that the hunters won't have to do as much damage to kill the mobs. This seems like the most logical addition that should be added to the next vu. ;)

Anyone who thinks mobs should take fall damage needs to think more carefully about how EU works.

MA aren't going to give everyone free loot.

Anyone who thinks mobs should take fall damage needs to think more carefully about how EU works.

MA aren't going to give everyone free loot.

Imagine a type of hydra event, everyone blasting away peds of ammo on it, and when its near to die, for somehow the mob takes some falling damage and "this creature is not lootable"... pretty messed up huh..
Here we have 2 options.. or we forget about mobs damage, or be prepared for some time a big bad surprise like this... :rolleyes:

What about a compromise.. Parachute/paraglider/Parawings/Jetpacks?

Okay i'm going to go for the idea of falling, but then I'm going to add something no one has thought about..

and that is the idea of being able to craft and use some sort of parachute or paraglider or even a parawing.

Now here's the things..

First off they would be (L) of course, (of course you couldn't tier up one of these items.)

Crafters could craft these items using known fabric/tailoring materials inculding fabric remanents, and a Parachute/Paraglider (L) BP (the BP would be (UL with a basic QR of 1). This also could add new skills/professions to the mix as well, and in fact these items could be crafted and then sold on auction. The parachute/paraglider would decay for each use and would eventually break at 3% of TT Value. Crafters going this route would gain tailoring / Material enginerr skills and even a few new skill unlocks and new professions are possible.

As for the Parawings/jetpack idea, again this too could be crafted this time using certain ingots and crafted materials such as semiconductors, wires, even a combustor and the Blue Print would be a Paraglider (L) BP (UL use of course with A QR rating of 1).

And yes these would give crafters the skills like Metal electroics and even maybe a new skill such as aeronautical design. with additional unlocks of skills to design later versions of aircraft and eventually spacecraft..

And players would would buy and use these items would gain combat skills, as well as a couple of attributes (most notably Intelligence and Dexterity). Thre could be a Skill unlock or an aerial commando skill, which could later move to a aircraft piloting skill/profession, and eventually a space piloting skill/profession

also yes the parachutes and paragliders would decay, and eventually fail (and yes then the falling damage would be returned if you are using a parachute or paraglider) . Also if a player were to run out of fuel/oil on during flight of a parawing/jerpack , it would fall (or rather glide) out of the sky, but if the player wasn't skilled enough to land such an parawing, it could result in a nasty crash (and a little impact (with the ground) which is again falling damge.

So yeah I'm really wanting to keep the falling damage, because ths could have potential for crafting at least 3 new items, unlocking new skills that would eventually lead someone to space, and then of course give something to the player which are flight/piloting skills (which MA at one time had in their skills list but never used.)

So I'm for the feature. After all a number of people wanted the realism, now they're complaining against it.. So then, you're contridicting yourself the want or need of realism. and as for MA? Tis does have potential both ways..

But as for me, I'll stick to the falling damage, it's kind of fun!

Benjamin "Ben" Coyote a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper"

unlimited,

Back