Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Olaven

Guardian
Society
Gamer Legends
Olav Olaven Spire
Hi

I see all the posts displayed in AM or PM. I do prefer the military system - 24 Hours, i can not find any way to change this or i am just blind.

Can anyone please look into this or guide me in to the correct setting please :)

Last edited:
Agree. AM/PM is for old ladies to agree a time to have tea

Seriously though with everyone in different time zones it's much more practical to use 24 hours. This is another US-centric anomaly like having dates the wrong way round.

having dates the wrong way round
The only true date format is YYYY-MM-DD (and maybe DD.MM.YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY for the less-tech stuff).

And +1 for the 24-hour format.

Unfortunately, the time and date formats are a global setting for the whole forum.
I will investigate add-ons to see if there is a way for members to select their preferred time/date format.

As a civilian I prefer AM/PM. But I get that MindArk uses 24 hr time in-world.

Thank you 711 for looking into this :)

this is so funny!

97% of the world:
24HH:MM:SS DD.MM.YYYY

3% Ameristan:
12AM/PM:MM:SS MM-DD-YYYY

Which format should we probably go with?
(i'd suggest 13,5MS:HM:YD YM:YDSY)

this is so funny!

97% of the world:
24HH:MM:SS DD.MM.YYYY

3% Ameristan:
12AM/PM:MM:SS MM-DD-YYYY

Which format should we probably go with?
(i'd suggest 13,5MS:HM:YD YM:YDSY)

Except that over 50% of PCF members and visitors are from North America...

Also, the vast majority of PCF members and visitors understand AM/PM, whereas a significant portion of North Americans (again, over 50% of the userbase) are quite unfamiliar with 24-hour timestamps.

Thus, it makes sense to use the format that is least confusing for the majority of visitors as the default format.

For similar reasons, the date format used on PCF takes the form:
Sept 1, 2020​

rather than:
09/01/20​
or
01/09/20​

either of which would be ambiguous or confusing for approximately half the PCF userbase.

Last edited:
Also, pretty much all visitors understand AM/PM,

I can't for the life of me remember if 12PM is midnight or noon, I mean I can google that up but it's so illogical that it never sticks :D

I can't for the life of me remember if 12PM is midnight or noon, I mean I can google that up but it's so illogical that it never sticks :D

12PM is noon.
To remember, just realize that PM stands for "post meridiem" which is Latin for "after the middle of the day" (not "middle of the night"). ;)

Last edited:
12PM is noon.
To remember, just realize that PM stands for "post meridiem" which is Latin for "after the middle of the day" (not "middle of the night"). ;)
So why isn't it 0AM and 0PM? :p I mean if it starts morning and afternoon it might also start with 0.

Svarog is right, it also took me a while to get it in my head...

And as far as those North Americans are concerned, we'll probably have to dumb down everything after November 3rd even more anyway. I mean "let me do this real quick" is wrong (two errors in two words), "alternate" and "alternative" seem to be the same now, ... ;)

To not use UTC seems stupid since its what MA is using ingame...

When I was in school many decades ago there was an understanding that the US would be moving to the metric system within 10 years so we had to learn both systems of measurement as well as how to tell different methods of time and dates. Somewhere along the line it seems like it was abandoned for whatever reason. I grew up around military bases all my life so you just learned military time out of necessity if you wanted to go on base. It would be nice to just have standardization across the board but we can't even get rid of antiquated things like daylight saving time aside from a few states who voted it out.

Here is a decent conversion chart:

index.php

Except that over 50% of PCF members and visitors are from North America...

Also, the vast majority of PCF members and visitors understand AM/PM, whereas a significant portion of North Americans (again, over 50% of the userbase) are quite unfamiliar with 24-hour timestamps.

Thus, it makes sense to use the format that is least confusing for the majority of visitors as the default format.
This is naïve. In truth there's a political and emotional process at play. I'm sure Europeans used similar arguments when elbowing into America in previous centuries. "It's for the greater good"... or even "it's for your own good"... Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. What goes around comes around!

To not use UTC seems stupid since its what MA is using ingame...

I learnt the 24 hour clock in Primary School - it is what all public transport, the military as well as Mindark uses.

I believe it is worth reconsidering this decision especially as every post on this forum I made (before the changeover) was in 24 hour time format.

Would anyone care to create a poll?

Military Time / 24 Hour Time Conversion Chart
Regular TimeMilitary TimeMilitary Time Pronunciation
Midnight (12:00 a.m.)​
0000 or 0000 hours​
"Zero-zero-zero-zero"​
1:00 a.m.​
0100 or 0100 hours​
"Zero one hundred hours"​
2:00 a.m.​
0200 or 0200 hours​
"Zero two hundred hours"​
3:00 a.m.​
0300 or 0300 hours​
"Zero three hundred hours"​
4:00 a.m.​
0400 or 0400 hours​
"Zero four hundred hours"​
5:00 a.m.​
0500 or 0500 hours​
"Zero five hundred hours"​
6:00 a.m.​
0600 or 0600 hours​
"Zero six hundred hours"​
7:00 a.m.​
0700 or 0700 hours​
"Zero seven hundred hours"​
8:00 a.m.​
0800 or 0800 hours​
"Zero eight hundred hours"​
9:00 a.m.​
0900 or 0900 hours​
"Zero nine hundred hours"​
10:00 a.m.​
1000 or 1000 hours​
"Ten hundred hours"​
11:00 a.m.​
1100 or 1100 hours​
"Eleven hundred hours"​
Noon (12:00 p.m.)​
1200 or 1200 hours​
"Twelve hundred hours"​
1:00 p.m.​
1300 or 1300 hours​
"Thirteen hundred hours"​
2:00 p.m.​
1400 or 1400 hours​
"Fourteen hundred hours"​
3:00 p.m.​
1500 or 1500 hours​
"Fifteen hundred hours"​
4:00 p.m.​
1600 or 1600 hours​
"Sixteen hundred hours"​
5:00 p.m.​
1700 or 1700 hours​
"Seventeen hundred hours"​
6:00 p.m.​
1800 or 1800 hours​
"Eighteen hundred hours"​
7:00 p.m.​
1900 or 1900 hours​
"Nineteen hundred hours"​
8:00 p.m.​
2000 or 2000 hours​
"Twenty hundred hours"​
9:00 p.m.​
2100 or 2100 hours​
"Twenty-one hundred hours"​
10:00 p.m.​
2200 or 2200 hours​
"Twenty-two hundred hours"​
11:00 p.m.​
2300 or 2300 hours​
"Twenty-three hundred hours"​
Strict military pronunciation is displayed in the chart above. In more colloquial pronunciation, "zero" is sometimes replaced with "oh" (i.e.: 7:00 a.m. or 0700 is also spoken as "Oh seven hundred hours"). Also, midnight is sometimes pronounced as "Twenty-four hundred hours".

Last edited:

I learnt the 24 hour clock in Primary School - it is what all public transport, the military as well as Mindark uses.

I believe it is worth reconsidering this decision especially as every post on this forum I made (before the changeover) was in 24 hour time format.

Would anyone care to create a poll?

I created a poll since you asked for it.

I am not sure if it will help change much though, as long as we can have the option to choose am/pm or 24 hour, everyone should be happy.
Although Mindark time and forum time synchronised is not a bad idea though. If people do understand Mindark server time, they should handle it here too (if 24 hour was the only option).

so you say americans are too stupid to use a 24 hour time format? really? you cant be serious 711 lol... i mean ok they are too stupid for the metric system as well, despite being A LOT simpler in all regards...
why dont we just make it so that a month doesnt have 30 days but rather 15 days before the middle of the month and 15 days after the middle of the month? sounds like fun! (also we should only have 6 months before the half of the year and 6 months after the half of the year to be consistent)

20 years ago, forums much simpler than this one already offered options to the users how they want to read their time, their date, and some obscure units of measure, which are solely unique to the US.
Actually, computers have been invented to SOLVE such problems, not to CREATE them.

Last edited:
I created a poll since you asked for it.

The "Military"-thing is not necessary at all.
  • Americans need to understand that Earth consists of more than "USA, USA, USA". USA is very small compared to the non-USA part of the world (I'm sure a lot of US-citizens don't know that).
  • Large communities around the world use the 24-hour system with or without their military involved.
I mean I understand that they try hard to cling to even the smaller things to keep their culture (let's call it that) established in a way.

I can think of a decent number of measuring units that could be introduced there, e.g. toenails (length), potatoes (weight), balloons (cubic), FOX-news (time), leaves (area), ...

I really don't know why Trump hasn't announced yet that "USB" is the successor to "USA", the country will be renamed and he did all of that. Alone. Chuck Norris would be impressed.

Back