Time for an upgrade?

Smart

Provider
KingJ
I've been running around in my trusty Shogun armour for years now, but i'm starting to think it's time for an upgrade. Anything larger than Old Atrox tends to be problematic and I end up spending a significant amount of time healing rather than actually killing.

What would be a reasonable set of armour to upgrade to from Shogun? I'm a bit out of the loop at the moment with regards to what's good and what's not as i've been inactive for some time.

Thanks in advance :)

Buy some armor plates first. Shogun +5b should be more then enough on atrox old?

You can also try running with shogun +.2a if you haven't tried that yet.

from all my armors i guess gremlin is the one i use the most :)

Shogun +5b should be more then enough on atrox old?

That combination sucks on small trox @ every small hit at 25 you pay 25 damage for plates + 25 damage for amor

Better use a unplated jarhead than or unplated gremlin with a bit more skills

Last edited:
Nemesis unplated up to guardian :)

As mentioned, adding plates is the next step. You do want to be careful not to overprotect with plates. If you see regular hits for 1 dmg, you are overprotected.

I like to use this Entropedia tool Armor vs Mobs. Add your armor, and then try with plates and other potential armors.

Also be careful you are not simply taking on mobs that are too big. If a mob hits you more than 5 or 6 times before you kill it, you're probably hunting above your level and will have a very high armor/fap decay bill.

As mentioned, adding plates is the next step. You do want to be careful not to overprotect with plates. If you see regular hits for 1 dmg, you are overprotected.

for hits between 24*-31 shogun is already giving 1.0 hits, every plate will increase that number until it really sucks with 5.b :eyecrazy:

*atrox minimum

Like Klown said try some nem. Also, what gun are you using cause more dps would mean faster killing, less time getting chewed on, less decay and armor needed.

-Bemo-

Buy 2A and 5B plates, those'll get you far with Shogun.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nemisis looks like a nice set with more than adequate protection. However at ~ +950 PED TT it's a little out of my price range.

I do agree with Doer says about not hunting too high - Young - Mature Atrox tend not to hit me much and when they do the hits are 1-15 which is easily manageable. I'm just after something that will give me a little bit of flexibility when a Guardian or Provider sneaks up on me.

It looks like for now plating may be the way to go. 5B seems a little excessive for what I need right now, so 2A or 3A may be more appropriate?

I normally use a Svempa T5 with Beast amp (but occasionally FreanD Delta with Beast amp if I really need to do damage and don't care about eco too much). I've maxed the HA and CHA on the T5 but not the damage interval yet.

If nemesis is too expensive, I'd say go for gremlin. Many people use it for a reason. Good protection and eco. But I would try plates first.. 2A or 5B is my recommendation. I use my 5b all the time and I will never part with them (most likely). They are too useful.

Down the road, I recommend Bear. It's cheap in the L version, and affordable in the UL. I just sold my set to upgrade to a Boar and I love it so far :) Next step, Jaguar or Ghoul!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nemisis looks like a nice set with more than adequate protection. However at ~ +950 PED TT it's a little out of my price range.

I do agree with Doer says about not hunting too high - Young - Mature Atrox tend not to hit me much and when they do the hits are 1-15 which is easily manageable. I'm just after something that will give me a little bit of flexibility when a Guardian or Provider sneaks up on me.

It looks like for now plating may be the way to go. 5B seems a little excessive for what I need right now, so 2A or 3A may be more appropriate?

I normally use a Svempa T5 with Beast amp (but occasionally FreanD Delta with Beast amp if I really need to do damage and don't care about eco too much). I've maxed the HA and CHA on the T5 but not the damage interval yet.

Shogun+2A is great if you're hunting young-old troxies, and don't go for Nemesis if you don't have 5B's, those give better protection for the value, and you can take them off any time.

if looks do not matter to you, then go for a mixed set.

plates first, either 2a, 5a or if you can afford the decay 5b

you said you can't afford full nemesis, so check out the following:

there are some paladin parts which are cheap (almost tt)
some knight parts are cheap as well
some nemesis parts are also cheap
some bear parts are cheap
and then there's the hypersense spectacles
and my boar feet are on auction now for tt+91 atm (buyout 150ish I think)

for the parts you cannot get for near tt, buy jarhead. Great protection.. not so great decay.

if nemesis is too expensive, then gremlin is too.. because the parts have high tt, even at tt, they are expensive.

In the end, I went for 5A plates since they have a nice balance between protection and decay. With time, I may move up to 5Bs or a different set, this should serve me well for now though.

Thanks again for all the advice.

ghost/5b is all you need, for the feet don't bother with unL ghost, get boar either (L) or unL is cheap enough with better protection.

Generaly good idea is when u already have pixie/goblin then kobold/shogun , to get 4 sets of plates:

5b
6a
5d
6b

They are cheap now and offer one of best protections among unL plates in CSI (5b) BURN (6a) ACID COLD (5d) ELECTRIC (6b)

I did such thing years ago and such set of plates is always with me even i changed lot of armors they always alow to be flexible on mob I wanted hunt.

Good idea os get also "dummy armor" for such plates set, as they are always more eco than similar protecting armor. Great for that purpose is Goblin as it has protection only in Impact and Acid

Shogun and Goblin + those plates alow you hunt large variety of mobs, and when u advance to even beter armor like ghost /zombie/gremlin/nemesis they still will be greatly increasing it's protection.

In short go for top plates in each dmg type 1st (unL for reasonable money - so called old school top plates)

Gremlin, you should always wear Gremlin. Unless you can wear Ghoul, then wear Ghoul. ;)

a wise person once said :

1. one does not hunt trox with evader pro level under 20
2. one does not need anything but ghost for small trox
3. one does not have enough hp and evade if ghost + plates are too small protection for big trox (over alpha)

thus, it would be smart to check evade/hp related skills. if you still desperately want to upgrade, remember which piece takes statistically the most hits and start upgrade by parts from there.

:smoke:

J.

a wise person once said :

1. one does not hunt trox with evader pro level under 20
2. one does not need anything but ghost for small trox
3. one does not have enough hp and evade if ghost + plates are too small protection for big trox (over alpha)

thus, it would be smart to check evade/hp related skills. if you still desperately want to upgrade, remember which piece takes statistically the most hits and start upgrade by parts from there.

:smoke:

J.

Well he's been playing at least since 2005.. so I guess skills is not the problem.. ped is.

Playing since '05 and still running around in shogun? I'm confused by this.

Well depends on mobs you take, but ADJ PIXIE rulzzzzzzz, with few sets of dif plates its the ultimate armor imo :D
...even works on CP with proper skills and hunting tehnique :)

Jumped from Shogun to Nemesis, feels good :cool: But evade is matter of course.

An armour upgrade is only part of your issue here. Wanting to upgrade could mean you want to take on new challenges, are you prepared for a larger turnover of peds to justify buying better equipment?

or maybe you just want to tick along, but be somewhat more protected.

It can take a while for players to accept that taking a giant leap to really take your avatar forward requires more peds. So if prepared to back up your new armour purchase with some nice cash flow, you can finally really start getting the best from the game.

I agree with others here, Gremlin is by far the best set of armour you can get for the investment, add a set of 5B's and you can take on Rex, and Aurlis on CP. Not to mention Gremlin is the best armour for kreltins, which are a lot easier to kill after MA adjustments.

So gremlin opens up a massive door for you.

Hunting such mobs will boost your evade skill extremely fast, it might cost you repairs in the first 6 months, but get through that barrier and you will be well on your way to becoming a quality player.

Gremlin is so under-rated it's almost a joke in EU, it goes cheap becasue it's widely available except foots that costs slightly more. I'm not sure if gremlin still drops after the new Limited range of armours, so get a set before it becomes rare.

Good luck on your new venture, and use your armour to it's best potential, move your ava forward. don't stand still on the same mobs.

Rick

Ps: keep your shogun for drones. In fact add some 6A's and you should be able to take down drone 07 - 09 with the occasional fapping and say 2K dodge skill. Dont need Vigi that has big decay.

Last edited:
gremlin is a nice all use armor.

Im using settler for plate holder, adj pixie.

Owning a set of 4a,5a,5b,6b and putting it on settler.

decay on plate only is better than decay on armor only.

decay on plate and armor with 1 hit will kill your eco.

so for little trox only : pixie +5a is enough depending your evade / hp.

To have a grem in inventory is a nice idea.

Good idea os get also "dummy armor" for such plates set, as they are always more eco than similar protecting armor. Great for that purpose is Goblin as it has protection only in Impact and Acids)

But Valiant is better looking.

I'm playing since '03 and I use Goblin currently. :ahh: Sure I've sold skills and gear and now hunt only tiny creatures, but still.

decay on plate only is better than decay on armor only.

I see this thrown around a lot and still don't understand where it comes from. The decay on plates and armor works the same, so absorbing 10 hp on a 5A is the same as absorbing 10 hp on shogun (with a very slight difference for durability). In fact, it's easier to get high durability armor than high durability plates, so the opposite to that statement is probably true.

What is true, and probably gets people onto this misconception, is the useful fact that absorbing 10 hp between armor and plates is cheaper than 10 hp on one or the other. This is due to the exponential nature of armor decay with damage absorbed.

Balancing that saving is the possibility of absorbing up to the protection of the plate more damage than was actually done, because the protections are applied separately. Thus, even if only one is necessary to absorb the full blow, both will protect full.

So again the best advice is to match armor+plates to the mob you are hunting so that they seldom do 1 HP damage. That will guarantee you savings on armor decay. If doing that means you can't hunt that mob, you probably shouldn't be.

Well he's been playing at least since 2005.. so I guess skills is not the problem.. ped is.

I've been 'playing' since late 2004, but i've had several periods of long inactivity during that time. In addition, it's only recently that i've gained the ability to regularly deposit and can actually start doing things other than hunt with the most economical weapon possible. Alternating between every single profession probably doesn't help either!

Back