Too many SOCs

Archangel

Old Alpha
Simon "Archangel" Steelling
Hi there,

yes, I am not for a long time in the game. I am "just" hunting, mining "mindforcing" and trading in the moment.

And I am not part of a SOC! That seams to be a problem! I have the great sign FREELANCER (get me :banghead: ) over my head. So daily I get a minimum of two invitations to a SOC. Yes, I have good success in the game for my low skill level, but I have ever to answer the same question: "Do you want to join?"

Fine, sometimes I want to join a soc, but in the moment I dont have any criteria to select the right one. And I dont want to be a SOC-hopper.

Anyone of you experienced ppl, could you list for me useful and meaningful criteria for selecting a soc, please?

Thx a lot!
Arch :coffee:

Biggest requirement it that you find some people you enjoy playing with. Unless you can get yourself into one of the "bigger" Soc.'s, there's no hidden agenda or anything.

For me, freindship and having people I like to voice chat with while in team is what a Soc. is all about.

society provides a great place for a persistent chat room. if youre out mining, and your friends are across the continent hunting, you can still stay in contact.

soc chat is the main reason i like being in a soc, it sure as hell beats PMs...

Dont know what your skills are... :)
But the best socs imo is small ones (around 20 people, active)
If you are to choose a society, choose one who you see people online in, check them out, speak with them. Check if their criterias suit you. And if you have some friends in a society its nice to join theirs :)

Society is great, I couldnt imagine beeing without mine.. :)

It's all about what you want:
Do you want a big soc with many ppl constantly on chat or would you prefer a small soc with few chatters?
Do you want a soc where every1 does the same profession as yourself so you could swap stories and help one another or would you prefer a soc where ppl do different trades but can also help you (ie miners supplying crafters, etc).
Do you want a very heirarchical soc where there is a definite leader or would you prefer more consistency between all of the members?
The list goes on and on, but those are a few things to consider.

But, imo (after having been in 5 or 6 socs :D ), there are some things that you should look for no matter what. The most important of those is a decent repuation. Your reputation WILL be affected by that of your soc's.

i really agree with your to many SOC title, there should be a fee to create one, (like 50-100PED or something). then n00bs wont just go and make them and start inviting anyone and everyone. and youd be able to have huge SOC warfare in PVP3, like when CC and cK organized that kool one. but yeh, a fee to create a SOC :)

Svetlana said:
It's all about what you want:
Do you want a big soc with many ppl constantly on chat or would you prefer a small soc with few chatters?
Do you want a soc where every1 does the same profession as yourself so you could swap stories and help one another or would you prefer a soc where ppl do different trades but can also help you (ie miners supplying crafters, etc).
Do you want a very heirarchical soc where there is a definite leader or would you prefer more consistency between all of the members?
The list goes on and on, but those are a few things to consider.

But, imo (after having been in 5 or 6 socs :D ), there are some things that you should look for no matter what. The most important of those is a decent repuation. Your reputation WILL be affected by that of your soc's.

I agree! Especially about the reputation part. If you care, that is VERY important.

It might seem that there are too many socs - but a lot of the socs, that asks you if you wanna join, are probably new, small socs looking for members coz they might be too few - and a lot of them will never survive, but some of them will of course.

A reason for myself to be in a soc is the friendship and the common goal you might have in a society. In my own society we have a very active homepage, were we sort of "hang out", asks each other questions, get to know each other from another site, sharing good ideas, happy/sad moments, tips and tricks in game etc.

But there can be other advantages, than the social aspect, by beeing in a large soc. Some societies have allied socs with special trading deals others have internal systems were you can borrow different items/weapons/tools. Others again have collection-systems to get more money, systemts to help newbies in soc etc.

Some large socs dont care much if you are active in the soc or not - as long as you are an active player. Some dont even care if you are an active player.

The only thing I can say to advice you is to choose vicely, when or if joining. Get to know the soc or some of its members well, before joining. I think its good you did not just jump into a society, because you feel forced into it!

There is nothing wrong in beeing a freelancer, but you will naturally become an easy prey to all the member-thirsty societies out there.

Good luck ;)

One of the best things is having people online to talk to all the time in the soc chat. I guess time zone is an important consideration if there are only a few of you

Lykke said:
I agree! Especially about the reputation part. If you care, that is VERY important.

Thank you all very much!

It is impressive to read your mostly emotional criterias and thoughts. So I began to understand, that beeing a member of a SOC has much to do with the "real" social life within the Entropia universe.

But nevertheless it is not an easy situation to identify the "suitable" SOC:
- External reputation -> fits it to the own image, or wanted image?​
- Members -> are they similar minded?​
- Mentorship -> support of your SOC or their members (no, I mean not any financial support)?​
- Trust -> can you trust your colleagues -> e.g. lenting an expensive weapon?​
- FUN -> overorganized or can you have mostly fun?​

Sure, the list could be longer, but these criterias are spontaneously associated.

Interesting is this subject for me at the latest then yesterday, if a friend requests support at the Genesis TP (the old game: blocking the depature with big skills and big weapons).

In this typical situation you need good friends with simlilar aims and similar sense for fun. :handgun: It must be much more fun, to quickly inform your SOC friends and blast the blockers away... :boxer:

Sure i don't know all the entropia typical hints and funny situations, but I slowly get a feeling for.
Possible if anybody of you has a sensible advice for me depending suitable SOC, I am pleased. But please, not only the name of the SOC.

----EDITED----

Last edited:
Back