UE5: Top Unimportant Things I Want to See

mandu

Stalker
Society
Victory
Mandu Mojo Marconi
With the changeover to Unreal Engine, there will no doubt be a number of impactful and important changes to the game.

There are, however, a number of very unimportant things that I would like to see very much:
  1. Lasers that don't go through mobs.
  2. Hair that doesn't look like it belongs on a Lego mini figure.
  3. Matte textures. Why is everything so shiny!?
  4. Better BG music.
  5. Smaller icons for some loots ( I'm looking at you Monria Ores and Enmats ).
  6. Bigger icons for some items ( ahem, HDNA ).
If you have things you'd like to see, please add to the list.

But please, keep it asinine and unimportant. Nothing that will meaningfully impact game play or the economy. Even better if nobody but you cares about it.

With the changeover to Unreal Engine, there will no doubt be a number of impactful and important changes to the game.

There are, however, a number of very unimportant things that I would like to see very much:
  1. Lasers that don't go through mobs.
  2. Hair that doesn't look like it belongs on a Lego mini figure.
  3. Matte textures. Why is everything so shiny!?
  4. Better BG music.
  5. Smaller icons for some loots ( I'm looking at you Monria Ores and Enmats ).
  6. Bigger icons for some items ( ahem, HDNA ).
If you have things you'd like to see, please add to the list.

But please, keep it asinine and unimportant. Nothing that will meaningfully impact game play or the economy. Even better if nobody but you cares about it.

I'd settle for all bar 2** and 4*** in the current engine.... (or indeed the 2* before that ;) ) let alone a new one :D

But OK I'm game for this one since I'm ALL about the stuff that no one else cares about (really!)
  1. Hair that doesn't leap around for no apparent reason when I stand in a dead mob
  2. Hair that doesn't sometimes stick through my neck and out of my throat
  3. Techno pants returned to their VU8 pattern
  4. Rascal armour to look more like VU8 Rascal armour pattern
  5. Female Predator harness to fit as well as male predator harness (aka VU8) - this might actually be a pose issue
  6. MA to realise that boobs do not magically suck cloth down between them
  7. bring back dark tinted visor on predator (etc) armour
  8. stop arm guards glowing at the wrists when no gloves on
  9. Make clothes that were strapless in VU8, strapless again
  10. Make pants (not the american kind) the same size as they were in VU8
  11. some restrictions of ragdoll physics model so that joints don't bend into impossible positions on death
  12. some checks on lighting and skin exposure so no one ever looks like they are glowing
  13. fix the flaming torch so stuff isn't over exposed
  14. fix the vehicle headlights so stuff isn't over exposed
  15. Kobold armour to look more like kobold armour pattern from VU8
  16. make avatar names in chat higher contrast than "dark blue on a darker blue background"
  17. fix the vehicle sounds on Cyrene vehicles (FFS are you not embarrassed about this by now?)
  18. animate the felling of trees properly
  19. remove time-out on readied items
  20. stop avatar heads moving to "straight ahead" position when using the "pose mode camera"
  21. @My|MindArk to read number 16 and check the support ticket I made about it (to confirm MA don't hate visually impaired people)
  22. an option to turn off "the dot" but have it visible when hunting still (aka bring back keyboard map-able crosshair toggle/chooser)
  23. ability to remove ALL icons from the screen (not just hide them - get rid of them) - put reset/reconfigure option on unchangeable "escape key" function, to allow this i.e. set it how it used to be
  24. option to stop the radar going semi-transparent (as it does when not mouse-overed) - or allow transparency level to be reconfigurable
  25. stop your shoulders appearing in view in First person view when wearing predator (and same model) armour
Hopefully that's a decent starter for ten? (I bet I could do a 100 inconsequential things if I tried) I've avoided anything that impacts game play (significantly/fundamentally) or the economy and indeed, as far as I know at least, I'm the only person who cares about any of these.

Wistrel

* except the shiney... that seemed to be a CE2 issue (or rather a "MA's implementation of CE2" issue
** already got movey around'y hair and am cool with it as is.
*** I think they do well on the music already

Last edited:
New music please, on every planet. Cant really say a single one has nailed it so far. Music is definitely part of the immersive experience for me. Im more of an audio person than visual, I actually listen to more podcasts than I do watch tv shows. So music would be a great place to start for inclusion with any major update.

Googly Eyes to have an icon

Blonde Android pet to not have [missing name]

Fire people who do nothing for 365 days a year but still draw a salary (you know who you are)

Remember how to moderate a forum by removing what you dont agree with but leave the rest of it, like you used to do before 2020.
Like you used to do for the past 15 years.

Xyz command for place command in estates. Do away with items under other items not beiing sellable

Please fix the coat/leg armor overlay issue.

For me it is the single most "amateur" looking element of the game when really with a slight improvement it could be a truly epic player made customisation feature. I know I would 100% get into tailoring and texturing if the coats laid over the leg armor correctly without random chunks of leg armor poking through all over the place.

The only other thing that I think could be a cool but not important feature is to have the output item picture show alongside the BP used to create it in the BP window instead of the generic BP photo.

Outside of the coat issue and the ultra minor BP suggestion I'm genuinely pumped for UE5 and hope the MA Devs can really showcase their talents now they aren't restricted by what I'm told is a very limited development engine they are currently working with.

I've got two more:

• In item information windows, let us rotate items on the X axis as well a the Y axis. Sometimes, I want to know what the top of an item looks like!
  • Let us preview wearable items so we can see what the look like on our avatar with our other gear. There are so many ways that it might look weird, or clip through, or otherwise not work. And you can't know until you buy it.

Xyz command for place command in estates. Do away with items under other items not beiing sellable
This is one thing I I'm curious if the new engine can address either, and that's interaction distance and item placement related to estates. I'd love to stack two L-quent boards on top of each other for a shop layout, customers can't easily if at all reach those upper shelves (or permanent shelves already in the shops). There are ways to stack furniture to maybe let people reach them like you've mentioned, but it gets tricky.

As for items under other items not being sellable, I'm not sure how that's supposed to work physics-wise (if you buy a shelf, do the other items drop to the ground?). Either way, a long as there's an option to lock a placed item from being sold, especially if I accidentally price a shelf instead of an item without realizing, I'd be pretty happy.

could polished chrome texture look like actual polished chrome (like it used to a long time ago) instead of dull grey as it is now.

In item information windows, let us rotate items on the X axis as well a the Y axis. Sometimes, I want to know what the top of an item looks like!
Try middle mouse button to rotate ;)

could polished chrome texture look like actual polished chrome (like it used to a long time ago) instead of dull grey as it is now.
This is one thing I hope gets addressed. Apparently during previous updates, a lot of these textures, including others like Bismuth, defaulted to almost a blank look.

According to Dylan over on Ark Discord, they need to redo the textures from scratch in this migration, so hopefully that means they'll be going through each of these glitched textures and restoring them?

I've got two more:

• In item information windows, let us rotate items on the X axis as well a the Y axis. Sometimes, I want to know what the top of an item looks like!
  • Let us preview wearable items so we can see what the look like on our avatar with our other gear. There are so many ways that it might look weird, or clip through, or otherwise not work. And you can't know until you buy it.

Many years ago I suggested a good way MA could make shops more useful, would be to allow people to try stuff on in them and have it stay active till they leave the shop. Would make them very like a real shop in that respect.

(but you know.... Battle Simulator)

- allow for non mirrored textures again (kinda lame how everything has to be symmetrical)

As for items under other items not being sellable, I'm not sure how that's supposed to work physics-wise (if you buy a shelf, do the other items drop to the ground?).
No. It'd float in air. You can glitch float in air now with place command and certain furniture. Used to work with a lot of other furniture but some programmer thought it'd make sense to not let bottom item sell first.. (s)he was wrong.

If you want to try it use place on a bottom item after putting another item on top of it, visit televator, go to another floor and come back. Pick it all up and Ghost shadow copy (back buffer copy) of bottom 'shelf' item stays in estate while real token to furniture is back in inventory.

Relog and ghost copy goes away but what was placed on top after it's back in inventory and in ghost status stays put. On relog the item on top is 'floating'.

Pets have similar issue ... You can spawn a million ghost copy pets outside auction rooms they cannot enter. I.e. place was never tested and left broken since day it was introduced. Wasn't sure it'd work with camera revamp but it does.

Place trick makes for some interesting interior designing... allows top half of apartments, etc. to be designed with interesting things that you don't normally see... that's why xyz placement would be nice in new engine... as it is now top half of most estates are not ever used much except to hold the occassional lamp.
MvKiB1yi8fynuJ7FjL1KvCmHUHIzW3oXzQKyAXIGBcO-NVOLNcrO_K_hVzwgArc-LFo2JWxkV4wnK3bqYXwj8Joyn55Uw-CciUNT504XkKXHIjVF5WgKGDCI-2KmUH0LCtcR2B04f6w=w2400

w4iDUoBuF7lyOZuQyDqm_3bzusnMh-a4edze8r3mOHPm4IpNlngNDQGI2fFZjn3yqBysZgbxJs0qktzww0fS6K3pOMAneA_GcgcVSrZfszhqLBLFk4r3YT-HZKTsv55zlBn7ckWdleE=w2400

I4AfT24HNI8UAPLGkUoc_EeCKlqLtqVLTSYB83EBBLl0Kdq0dlAmMqH7RpGTA5zRZ6QNqYb-HeUjjd3QKTXuPBRS7iWKNC4LyzQGvbJDUwUokg2s_0TlhAWW8C-kNshh_yFBAcDkIu4=w2400

cU2FTE5IGlHEssVqgCCgcdncXu7ql9jwq8nPzw52ZyH_LCG0CR0Auu1X2lbki9fueTAOTdaG-aTU8sgnOihjfinmR9bDvfMGKMSKkS814y4l2JSf9oXX-Jp7YOonEOtZieeXgElPGa4=w2400

hB_xlqo328LF9K-IwMcXCN8Wfjh_6HlU9-S9Gx5z-oFtPc4SPhMe5gn9C7gEwaylYMhvdudEi18pvJLhee1EaZmb_N0Ed3sU4Olnq5U6qtyTVfrQZZ-O_Zt0o3lTAr1S9zBO5D5b7do=w2400

WfuYAWUgu0oI74JD3HCBEN00kFnCwZDioQx5u4wRM86bCF2WGdBbMNndXRCx5myl6dgkcoFaG9cqWmBs3xiaoxp_PvAuLZockQIVzaPEtFgmQyVSwEOB77s5DBiFmEV_mUSxfU59HLE=w2400

74fy4JEvTTrCH9PnHP_io5nUh16V2xri0uZrwc0bOIGnXIebd2tEgH2HRbVLnjmhqWX8Qdtrn1k7p8zr_AE-TlKd03F2dlOi-ewvdKFyksZXDXafhE_WAJ-d1_S2rLAkW0lKWNiwTDM=w2400

--Epp2PWEpSE97F0ral77aTaGwxs1D7ozaBc3Slnp9w3DN1YLv03blnYZrwHYlAlCsm1OGob4dMEBIy3cSUQKIbFAn78jQydTU0lRg82N9Xvb2S1pZQ4VBQML-nYGg7KPdS50UdhO80=w2400

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
  • After so many years: stop the chat-window from shrinking at every log in. Finally. Please. Pretty please. Seriously.
  • Make the radar less transparent and maybe change the colours a bit. Sometimes a missed loot is pretty hard to see.
What am I saying, there are so many threads about wishes already...

minimum textures sizes of 2048x2048... no more 256 and 512 textures...

if you're too poor to buy a graphics card made after 2010 then it's time to find a new game.

Before Camera and Control Update:

After Camera and Control Update:

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html <- Click

In other news Windows 11 is coming out. Yay.
Yup still not got used to the DF'ery they inflicted on everyone with that update. I press a key on the keyboard only to run in entirely the wrong direction! I can only strafe in combat mode, the most popular OTS mode was removed and FPS mode my armour gets in the way and the update rate on the gun I'm holding is laughable.

I'm stunned that someone actually sat down one day and thought that would be a really good idea. Even more stunned by the players who went to MA HQ to test it and gave it the thumbs up. They let us all down so badly.

minimum textures sizes of 2048x2048... no more 256 and 512 textures...

if you're too poor to buy a graphics card made after 2010 then it's time to find a new game.
I rather suspect it isn't though... because... MA

As many as you can beer six packs and some trully devoted dancers!

As many as you can beer six packs and some trully devoted dancers!
Speaking of Beer, perhaps that poor bloke in Fort Ithica can finally get his shipment with UE5? It's been almost 20 years! We are sending Dresses back to earth with the supply initiative, but he can't get a beer keg?

How about a little rain? ;)

How about a little rain? ;)
Oh, that would be nice. So long as it doesn't melt my 1050TI. Upgrading doesn't seem likely in the near future!

Oh, that would be nice. So long as it doesn't melt my 1050TI. Upgrading doesn't seem likely in the near future!

No reason it should I don't think?

The only unimportant thing I want is the return of my tangerine jumpsuit.

I'd like to request they leave in Toggle Interface Visibility, screen print, etc (there's another one for hud that I cannot remember name of), It's nice to do one or two keyboard strokes to do nice sscreen print without lots of little icons everywhere.

Also, pretty sure they'll leave in Toggle Run/Walk, Rotate Left, Rotate Right. but if not, please keep them too.

Oh, and cannot forget to keep in all the dance moves, etc.

Also keep the armor and equipped one key equip/unequip set thing... maybe improve it with plate set option.

Also keep lock target since it's nice to view around different mobs without actually shooting at all of them so you can pick your actual target before hitting the F key.

Reviving 'select next' would be nice addition too if we can bring it back. Made estates a lot easier to manage when stuff 'sunk in to the walls or floors'. Now when you get that you have to send support tickets.

Also, while at it... lets make all armor parts uniform in size in inventory. Annoying that some helmets take up more spaces, etc. Similarly, make all items big enough to select in shopkeepers or inventory. Annoying that little stuff like tomtebloss is impossible to select in auctions or shopkeepers to get to item info screens, etc.

Heck, while at it bring back item points to apartment hallways, allow less than a pec stuff to be dropped anywhere, etc. Lets make this revamp a good one.

Finally, for God's sake don't make it be first person shooter only. We love third person view in game.

and of course, lets rebuild Hadeshiem http://www.moselbert.de/EU/Entropiakarten.htm#Hadesheim

Last edited:
I'd like to actually see my avatar bleed if my health bar goes down.
So make avatars "degrade" like vehicles when damaged.

...would save me a lot of deaths since I always forget to monitor my health bar.

I'd like to actually see my avatar bleed if my health bar goes down.
So make avatars "degrade" like vehicles when damaged.

...would save me a lot of deaths since I always forget to monitor my health bar.
What a great idea and I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one who forgets that.

Back