Understanding how 'you' are defining of a hunting run.

AckerZ

Old Alpha
Society
Dirty Dingos
Anonymous AckerZ Anonymous
Hoping to get some insight into other hunters logic when considering how long/how much to hunt for in their "cycle".

Where do you start tracking and where do you stop tracking then measure your performance based on those two metrics.

Hypothetical example I am now hunting specifically for a rare drop from a single mob that costs around 2ped to kill. It's likely I'll have to kill around 10,000 of these mobs to loot the item I'm looking for, so my cycle will take many days and around 20,000 ped to complete.

I would consider this a "one hunting run" and would run my profit and loss based on the entire 10,000 kill cycle (assuming no interruptions). This would be a single dataset isolated from other metrics I would be tracking, a "single business unit" . I would need to take breaks, sometimes days at a time to complete the cycle but yet all of the "active hunting time" would be catalogued by myself as one hunting cycle....

Is this how other hunters think about their runs? Do you count your runs based on the day, the week, the month, or do you count them based on #of kills, specific loot attained? Do you factor the end of a day as an end of a run due to dynamically shifting wave patterns? Obviously there is no right way to do this but I would really appreciate insight from other hunters on how they gauge their performance, hopefully share some best practices to all elevate our craft.

To me, a hunting run is whenever I run out of ammo or melee weapon breaks depending on how much ammo I set or how many sword I break.
Usually I would use 50ped ammo if i'm using guns. If melee, I use 3 TT swords.
But I think for most hunters, a hunting run is probably a 4+ hours hunt killing mobs non stop.
I just can't dedicate so much time for that. Got too much irl stuffs to do around.

With implementation of the codex you can simply call each codex advancment a 'run'

I don't follow a set pattern for my hunting. Sometimes it's obly half an hour and other times it could be half a day.
What matters to me is the return i get long term.

If i had to follow a set pattern i would say a hunting run should be no less then 100 mobs killed.

Solo hunt: 1k ammo
Team hunt: Whenever too many people start leaving, but usualy atleast 1,5 hour.

I track a “run” from when I start a mob, to either A) I need to empty my inventory or B) I need to go do something else. Ultimately it doesn’t matter because I track them all on the same sheet. I can see my overall returns for all hunts, or break it down by month/week etc. Just expect that your +/- TT return will usually be a wider range on the shorter hunts (lower number of total mobs killed/looted).

I don't track anything.
My goal is to piss off 200 ped a week and have fun doing it with my friends.
My only measurement is the TT to see if I was blessed by the kind consideration of Lootius. :)

As I track my results, most of the time a hunting run represent a day of hunt.
I usually stay on one mob for hours to get enought kill and less votality in my results (ie going throught multiple wave up and down)

Most of the time it represent a cost of 1k to 1.5k ped wich represent 8-10 decay's cycles of my blade and around 400 to 800 kills.

If I change the mob or i stop my session to join a team hunt with friend, i'll start a new "run", considering my "loot chain" is broken.

I track my score by mob hunted and not period, wich help to track the MU's rate extracted from each of them.
And then, i considere my results "stable enough" when I've done 25k to 30k ped cycled on each mob, around 10k kills.

Last edited:
I track my score by mob hunted and not period, wich help to track the MU's rate extracted from each of them.
And then, i considere my results "stable enough" when I've done 25k to 30k ped cycled on each mob, around 10k kills.

This logic makes the most sense to me, thank you

start hunt with XXX ped in ammo - shoot until all ammo used - add up shit loot received laugh / cry / rage or whatever. repeat until broke. Troll forum :)

I only track some of my runs atm specifically kerbs since im skilling MF and have decided to sit on them for a long time. hunting these with a corrosive attack chip 5 TEN and 400ped shrap or normal ammo per run. A run takes me around 1.5-2h wich feels pretty good to me but in the end its up to personal preference i gues

Stina

I strive to kill at least 500 mobs per run to smooth out the tt return volatility and a "run" is something that happens within a short period of time, 2-3 hours top. Say 300 mobs now and 200 after a long pause is not a continuous run as someone in my absence might suck dry all the accumulated multipliers / collect the rare drops / etc, as I see it :). If I have to pause for longer than 15-20 min, I leave to resupply and repair and start over.

That's assuming the mobs are 2-3+ ped to kill. If for some reason I hunt tiny stuff then a "run" is until my Imp a105 breaks (around 1.5h and 1.3k ped cycled).

Not good at maths or statistics, but tracked all my runs for a few years, no matter how long and to even out the quirks like hunting fo 30 mins and getting an HoF or uber within that timeframe. Helped me a lot to get a "feel" for the spending and where I really lose money.
Never tried hunting for a specific rare, because ...randomness ?
If you really want it, buy it..way cheaper
Genozide on mobs does not help with randomness..beacuse its random ? :D
But than again, the most rare item I got was a Lvl7 Pyrokenetic chip while taking a short trip to CP :D Almost TTed....thought it was a limited one :D

How would I define a hunting run? Simple, it's based on my gun's amp breaking, lol, at 50 ped ammo.

Last edited:
Back