Help: Unexpected Error - Welcome to Camp Cambell - The Thing - Error Code 38

Bill TheGalactic Hero
Hello,

i was on Rocktropia, i have try the Quest "the Thing" but unfortunately I get the error message - unexpected Error - Code 38. I tried everything. The quest aborted several times and accepted again, but the error message keeps coming back. It doesn't matter whether I choose a scientist or a soldier. I get this error on both of them with the request to contact the support.

Of course, I wrote to support and received an answer very quickly.

We will forward all the information to the responsible planet partner, since they might not be able to answer you directly in this case or provide you with more satisfying information about this we would recommend you stay tuned to our news section and feed and keep an eye out for any information about it in future releases. Please rest assured that they will receive your report and any additional information we might receive in similar reports or issues

The whole thing is passed on, but I just wanted to ask if any of you had the same problem and maybe managed to start the quest series? Thank you

As far as I know the THING was closed long ago and is no longer accessible. There was some development/speculation about new areas added to RT. I dont remember the name, VRmerica or something? And the THING being transformet into that? Also some moon or something was moved from another planetpartner to RT? If you search the release notes, im sure you can find some info.
Not sure why support answered the way they did tho, seems unlikely they dont know more, maybe they cant share planet partners plans (or their own for that matter).

Also this is going off memory but something like that happened "recently" and im almost positive the THING closed quite a while ago actually.

Cheers

Thank you very much for the information, it is really a shame, I would have loved to have looked at or played through the quest series. I also asked some people in-game, it seems to work for some. With others there is a mistake in the weapon selection and then it goes no further. Well and with me there was this mistake. Probably the whole thing is triggered by something.

is it possible to hunt and mine in the area? Would you advise against it or is it ok?

The hunt the thing area got screwed up a couple of vu's ago. I believe VRmerica was download by mistake. this was meant to be implemented a couple of years back when ND was vR president and he was pushing his cryptocurrency, which all got rejected and fell through in the end. RT don't have a forum and ND barely replies to threads and when he does its crypto. I would not bother mining there, anything special.

As far as I know the THING was closed long ago and is no longer accessible.
I was on Rocktropia until a few days ago and was also surprised to find HTT accessible again. Hopped in brieffly to an arbitrary teleporter and had no error messages or any issues, although I didn't go around to test much. Whatever they tried to do there, by mistake or otherwise, must have been rolled back entirely.

The entrance mission I did years ago, so can't check if something is wrong with it. Not sure if I missed a message somewhere, haven't seen a clear word from the developer what their plans are for its future. Rumours abound, as usual.

Last edited:
Back