Upgrade to CryEngine3!!

Malin

Old
Society
Dor mi
Malin Folkung Mangusson
So how hard would it be to upgrade Entropia to the new Cryengine, i am not sure what kinda work was involved the last time, but it seems it was a total makeover.

but since we already have cry2, wouldn't it be smoother to change to the new CryEngine3? i do not like games like crysis but the graphics are very nice. what do you think?

Finally a game that makes good use of DirectToad!

breathtaking graphics

wonder how good of a machine needed to run that...

Looks very nice but I don't think its gonna happen anytime soon :))) Entropia can't even make full use of cry2 engine.. and most people I know play entropia on low-mid or mid details. If they want eyecandy graphics they play another game.
And tbh I'm pretty happy with the game graphics as it is now. Sometimes simpler is better.

breathtaking graphics

wonder how good of a machine needed to run that...

ppl who like new games will ofc buy a PC that can run these new games on ultra high.. the 90% of us that dont care.. cus we grew up with NES and amiga.. wont..

these new games dont have a soul,, its just about money and its a shame that kids today have to grow up with it.

No but...

Probably not such a big step as from VU 9.4 to VU 10 but do we really need this kind of extra detail at the moment? We already saw that improving the visual experience during aforementioned update did not lead to a larger player base, possibly also because many player's machines could not handle the new graphics. Also, we lost some systems (taming, certain avatar movements) and all development focus is (hopefully) on fixing these issues first. I'd hate to see that happening again in the new future.

If they upgrade to cryengine 3..... We will prolly lose more things ingame. Like mining and crafting would be lost in the change.

Or maybe with CE3 we might get some of the old systems back?

Personally, there is no gain for this game to upgrade.
We are still missing many thing.(at which ive never seen, but would love to see) aka taming ect.

HOWEVER, i am told its a semi easy upgrade from ce2 to ce3.

Entropia could be a lot more beautifuler in only making better earth texture.

well i was thinking it would less of a issue to upgrade to cry 3 from cry2.
than it was upgrading from the old to cry2.

I imagine we're good to go for at least another three or four years before the graphics need updating.
MMOs need to cater to the average player with 3-5 year old computers, not to the top of the line systems. Hardly anyone plays an MMO "because the graphics are cool," not for long anyway. The gameplay systems behind the graphics are what keeps us playing.
Once the graphics get to the "ewww, what's that" stage compared to the norm of the time, then it's time to upgrade - any sooner usually does more harm than good. :)

Bad idea imo, aside the monetary side, which is obvious... Licensing the engine isn't free. Then there is the point that majority of ppl i know playin play medium or lower and struggle NOW, especially with how badly coded it is atm. The new areas like fort vic, use double memory for example. And i've heard of systems with 8 gig of ram gettin "not enough mem" errors lol. So cryeng 3 would drop a few more out the race, PLUS, retraining their programmers, which i have to say, aren't all that good to begin with from what i've seen... It's like they struggle with features that cryengine2 has had for years, u really want em retrained for 3? :D

ps, beautiful vid, but doubt more than 5-10 machines out of us could run that nicely lol. To most of us it would turn into a blobby slideshow....

Last edited:
LOL why would you want EU in cryengine 3, we already have cryengine 2.
When people aren't even bothered to play EU cause they are scared on what EU has done with cryengine2..
Ediit :
Translation. said:
New MMOFPS: Planet Cyrene
Planet Cyrene is a MMOFPS that you can play for free for quite some months, but we must admit that seeing the face of the thin nor Netsabes nor I had wanted to submit a news about it...

The game uses horribly wrong the Cry Engine 2, the gameplay looks awfully soft, the GUI is scary and the whole gives us absolutely no desire to test Planet Cyrene, although it does not cost a penny.

If you are more idle or braver than we, the official website is waiting for you!

Oh yes! The title still offers a great originality by paying $ 0.025 to $ 1, you can access the PvP mode in which each fragment you earn or cost you between $ 0.02 and $ 0.80.

In the comments :you can notice said:
The CryEngine 2! Crytek must weep tears of blood, seeing what they did to their baby, plus it looks a rowing background.

Last edited:
Just because you change the graphic engine, don't automatically mean you get that type of ingame graphic, somebody must design the textures, items and mobs also. The problem is that MA and the planet partners have limited resources to spend on the design, changing to Cry3 would probably not change much. Every improvement is welcome, but they can improve much only by spending more resources on the design.

The good thing is that the Cryengine is updated, that means when EU needs a update, it should be easy to update to a new version of the Cryengine.

Entropia could be a lot more beautifuler in only making better earth texture.

The terrain textures didn't really improve in the current version of CE3 and I don't know any way to make them look better in CryEngine. ;( In fact sometimes when I look at Arkadias best ground textures I wonder HOW did they do this?!? :p

In general I don't think Entropia should be upgraded because MA probably made tons of modifications to the Engine to get it to run a MMO of this scale. ;) I doubt those would carry over to CE3 just like that.

Was not the biggest difference between CE2 and CE3 pretty much that CE3 is possible to use on consoles and has easier development tools? Also, afaik MA has a modded version of CE2 that is custom made to work with an MMO like Entropia, so they would need to do the same with CE3 to make that work which would take a lot of time...

Also, few MMOs can measure up to Entropia graphics wise as it is (if checking the best looking places) so I see no point in such an upgrade.

And as nighthawk said, we already have probably the best lookin mmo hands down. Good point.

I say no. It has taken MA 3 years to upgrade all the systems as it is, which damaged the player base anyway. Imagine the disaster of moving to CE3! Yes it looks great, but most PCs/Laptops would crash with it. My 1.5 Gb NVIDIA card struggles on Med-High settings as it is, and there isn't a 5Gb card yet!

I say continue to make CE2 great first, and only release CE3 on a Beta server so all the disasters are kept separate. Remember MA doesn't have the staff to do this anyway. 3 years for Taming and I bet it will be very similar to the old system.

yeah probably not a good move on the cost side to redo all again what they did now.

when they consider next tech update though they should get alot more ontop than a update from 2 to 3 would bring.

something like that:

imagine in a trade and talking over proximity voice :D

MA are a small company so they have to be quite selective on their priorities. We don't know all that is on their development list (e.g. CLD system - we knew nothing of it until the day we saw it), we know of some systems that are still missing and often are critical. However, if we knew all that they know would our choices be any different? If we are sensible probably not too different and we would also have delayed some systems e.g. taming due to other more higher priority development...

Having said that when the game changed over to cryengine 2 a lot of the game was lost e.g. landmarks, differences in town designs, points of intrest like old destroyed space ships littered across the landscape. Personally I think these should be ranked higher, they give the game a character and a soul. Devoid of any "specialities" like this we just have a cold sterile landscape which does nothing for our imagination. They probably left things like this out because they simply didn't have the time or manpower to do it all. At the time it was critical for them to ship cryengine 2 version out as quick as possible because it had allready been delayed long enough. They probably never had time to go back over things like that again due to other higher priority development work...

With Cryengine 2 version sure we got better graphics but in my opinion no where near as good as cryengine 2 can deliver. Why is that? I'm not too sure, since the game is installed client side i.e. on our computers surely they could have made better textures and models? Again probably didn't have the manpower to do a more thorough job. Probably more to it than that as well, since other PP are also of a similar nature.

Now for the funny part :) Kim recently posted on forum of the new graphics they are working on and what did us players do? jump on him and nearly "ate" him alive. The poor chap had to close the thread or something if I remember correctly it was about new graphics in the South West of Eudoria, where some instances would be based. He'd mentioned they were working on newer textures etc, even posted pics like this:
leveling_1st_pass_server_area_08_08_001.jpg

He's also mentioned about an avatar update. So all in all perhaps they are allready working on cryengine 3 conversion? Probably not, most likely they are updating the graphic textures, models etc. Perhaps they updated some part of cryengine 2 that allows them to do that? don't know but hopefully we'll see the fruits of their labour soon in aug - oct update.

We lost 2/3 of the userbase with CE2 because of the system requirements and severe transitional bugs. Some have returned later but most didn't (my soc of 12 members at the time literally died out; I was brave and stubborn enough to keep playing with 10 fps in safe mode for months before found a new compatible video for my mac; only 2 old socmates returned over a year later).

Don't think MA can afford another such shock so soon. Not to mention that they haven't yet unleashed the full potential of CE2, as they never did it with Gamebryo.

I'm playing on max graphics without any frameloss (new Asus gaming laptop) and EU looks great, but honestly its plenty. I would rather them work on the game mechanics instead of worrying about graphics. I am satisfied with playing on max on cry2.

I would like to see a 64-bit version

Theres more to a game than graphics, and graphics is definately the last thing ma need to be concerned about with eu. Theres a million and one other things that desperately need attention.

Last edited:
Only one thing comes to my mind: LOL

Cruelly I don't care, I have been playing in Safe Mode for months already. Safe mode FTW :lolup:

lets get MA and the PPs to at least utilize the full potential of the CE2 before moving on. So far, I don't think they have come anywhere close to doing that yet.

No thanks. Looks are not important at this point in time for me. I think everyone feels the same.

Back