News: User Interface Update Postponed

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher

User Interface Update Postponed​

Due to changing priorities related to the development of the Unreal Engine 5 client, Mindark has determined that it is not practical to implement the previously-announced User Interface update in 2021.

The process of upgrading the current CryEngine 2 client User Interface has been taking a lot of resources and is somewhat risky with regard to the technical aspects, given the complexity of the old UI framework. The decision therefore has been made to focus on implementing significant UI improvements in Unreal Engine 5 instead.

The efforts made thus far on the UI upgrade project have provided many insights and highlighted areas for improvement, which will of course help guide our efforts in crafting the user interface for the Unreal Engine 5 client.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Originally Posted Here

Was to be expected

As soon as you guys mentioned about working on UE5 I figured this was bound to happen. So this means around 4 years more of waiting I guess, unless ya planning on releasing UE5 in an unfinshed state like you did cryengine.

Good job i rather see UE5 coming faster

Last edited:
Good idea, faster the UE is released the better, i'd leave all bugs and stuff for now, focus all resources on UE !

Sounds good, is there any estimated time scales in place for the UE5 rollout so far?

Good choice honestly, It would be fun to have the UI as we are waiting for the engine upgrade but having resources directed towards the old engine just seems unnecessary.

Would still be very interesting to maybe see what progress you had made so far in regards to the UI compared to the first itteration you posted.

(y)

A bit sad but I agree, better to focus on UE5.

Difficult decision to make, but ultimately the right one. Personally i am much more excited for Unreal than a UI change.

Actually telling us is progress :) back in the day we'd just be wondering when that egg will be hatching :))

I'm quite happy about this for a couple reasons:

1. I appreciate the communication regarding this and not just leaving us hanging with another promise unfulfilled without explanation.
2. You're right that considering you've got a whole new engine update coming, superficial changes in the existing engine that could cause extra bugs makes no sense.

i would add
1. the current UI just suffer of transparncy. put in UE interface a solid background. transparencies just create difficulties in reading
2. the proposed new one was worse than the actual
3. i hope that UE5 allows differentGCD for shot and heal and DOT so that we can heal and arso without stopping shooting
(i dream of auto resto and autoheal if proper ammo is in inventory as life fall under a set %).

Great! Third golden age, with new engine! Yay

Good to know there are smart ppl at MA.

Thanks for the update :thumbup:

Sad about this, and a bit confused since they literally almost released the update months ago before postponing it at the last second, but at least it's nice that they're letting us know.

Will the new engine have a new interface? Presumably with such shiny new graphics we wont be working with the old clunky UI?

Great decision - keep ‘em comin’

It is a good movement from you guys :D keep up the good work and keep communicating :D

Apparently Mindark went down the dumb road...

I don't know why they make the same mistake again. There were no lessons learned in the migration to CryEngine 2! WTF? The business analysts and software architects involved clearly didn't do their homework this time and should be fired right on. I'm sorry, no sympathies here. There were enough signs about the possible obstacles ahead. Mindark makes it sound as if such move is a cheap/easy thing to do...

This is so dumb... Just why???

Apparently Mindark went down the dumb road...

I don't know why they make the same mistake again. There were no lessons learned in the migration to CryEngine 2! WTF? The business analysts and software architects involved clearly didn't do their homework this time and should be fired right on. I'm sorry, no sympathies here. There were enough signs about the possible obstacles ahead. Mindark makes it sound as if such move is a cheap/easy thing to do...

This is so dumb... Just why???
you should be fired !

As expected but not as promised...
Q: Will the current version of Entropia Universe continue receiving updates during the Unreal Engine 5 development period?
A: Yes. New content will continue to be developed and released for Entropia Universe by MindArk and the planet partners during the Unreal Engine 5 development period.

As expected but not as promised...

Well we still receive updates though don't we? Just not the UI one

Ummm we need a new game engine. Game engines arnt just about graphics. It's about capability and cryengine is a dead engine. Anyone complaining about migration doesn't comprehend how important it is to do, think.

Last edited:
I think there's a missed opportunity here..

You already have the graphical update ready to go, at the last minute you decided to work on functionality improvements as well before releasing it but the graphical part of it was done as far as I know. So why not release the graphical update now while it's ready and use the opportunity to gather feedback from the community before you waste time creating these UIs in UE5. What if the community doesn't like your graphics? Then you create them twice; once in CE2, once in UE5, and have to start over again..

I think you should at least release the graphical UI update, if it's ready.

Back