Virtual Reality EU?

xWandererx

Stalker
Society
Natural Born Killers
Jason Wanderer Longbow
EU Posted a thread a while ago.......about Virtual Reality compatibility..........Anyone heard anything? Ive got My VR headset now........Any news?

EU Posted a thread a while ago.......about Virtual Reality compatibility..........Anyone heard anything? Ive got My VR headset now........Any news?

I'd love to walk around Twin with my Vive. That would be awesome. However I fear the development time required to make it good would be significant, time that will likely be spent elsewhere.

Coming soon to a webshop near you: VR Deeds to crowd-fund the development.

Thx for the replies guys -seeing as we all come from the same era in PE/EU we all know the score on big ideas that never go anywhere ah well ho hum.

it was possible to run EU with a 3rd party tool called vorpx not sure if this still works with Rift CV1 but worked with VorpX 0.9.1 + DK2 + 0.8 run time worked with default settings with some trial and error messing about with the vorpx conf.

I canceled my Rift CV1 order and got a Vive - I've tried many times to get the hook working with the Vive and Vorpx but nothing positive to report so far (SteamVR starts and get a black/grey screen going to spend some time today retrying things / creating a custom profile.

Would be nice if MA turned on the Cryengine VR support - give us a beta option and turn this on http://docs.cryengine.com/display/CEPROG/VR+-+HTC+Vive I am tempted to try and mod the EU config files lol

I hope they do sort it - I have an Oculus due to arrive in July (allegedly!)

I was thinking of this thread when I saw this article today.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/31/sansar-vr-creator-beta-second-life/

I remember messing around in SL back in '06, I met some guy that claimed to be making ~$500 a month making and selling footwear for avatars back then ( just one example) I don't know how long that lasted, but it reminded me of the old PE marketing that led us to believe that someday in PE we would be able to craft stuff, have factories, etc. I realize now believing any of that would happen in PE was pretty naive.

I like this VR idea, I would like to give it a try, as I see other games/sandbox/virtual worlds working on VR, I wonder if PE will ever get there.

Aside, can anyone recommend some VR Goggles and some places to use them? I would like to give it a try.

Aside, can anyone recommend some VR Goggles and some places to use them? I would like to give it a try.
Regretfully I'm not an expert... but it reminds me one Sargon's video

Reactions: Mac
Compet has a VR mini game if you run the mobile version.

I've not tested it myself as I use my PC. Well I forget my password, so I'm worried about switching devices and get a password request that locks me out....lol.

Rick

I have been following the VR development for a few years now - since the dev version of Oculus Rift. Apparently it was possible to run EU through the dev system and I recall a few threads here on PCF explaining how to configure it.

I planned to purchase a Rift once the commercial version was available. However things have changed and I heard rumours that EU did not support VR. I also heard that it would make players nauseas if they tried to use it. A couple of years back you would have needed a very hi spec pc (possibly with multiple GPX's) to make it work.

I do not know if Vive is compatible but I was speaking to an IT guy the other week who said that the MSI laptops were VR ready. I do not know whether they work with VR in EU. Has anyone tried, what are the results. I would love to know

The nausea is most associated with fast moving games usually car / racing games. Some are more susceptible than others.

I'll wait until they finally get the wireless head gear working at a reasonable resolution, nothing worse than tripping over a cable and ripping you head back or your pc across the room.

Watching that video, I 'm trying to imagine how it would work in PE. I can see how exciting it would be to be crafting at the crafting machine in VR! :laugh:

Guys this is all very nice but, I am satisfied with how the game is running now. Everything seems to be working mostly, couple of glitches but nothing that I can't put up with.

Do we really want MA trying to code for VR ? I mean really ?
First how many players would want or could afford this new technology ?
Second need I remind you what happens when MA makes things better ? Let me remind you of a few, like when the icons where taking up 4 slots in inventory, then they were so bright you could not tell one from the other and then they got small and lot of them showed up as red crosses. How about the time they were working on the cave mission(which BTW was working fine) and it stayed broke for almost a year? Or when they fixed the hit boxes and no one could hit hardly a thing without very precise aiming, the argos and berys still have not quite recovered from that fix IMO. And how long did it take to get used to the new cry engine back in 2010 ? This is just to name the ones I remember and they may be others.

I am just saying I don't think anything is really broken so don't fix it especially for the few (in comparison to the number of players) that may want to take advantage of new tech. Maybe in 10 years but not now as I still think it still needs a lot of testing on other games not ours.

I know call me old fashion and living in the past and color me careful with something that is going good.

Guys this is all very nice but, I am satisfied with how the game is running now. Everything seems to be working mostly, couple of glitches but nothing that I can't put up with.

Do we really want MA trying to code for VR ? I mean really ?
First how many players would want or could afford this new technology ?
Second need I remind you what happens when MA makes things better ? Let me remind you of a few, like when the icons where taking up 4 slots in inventory, then they were so bright you could not tell one from the other and then they got small and lot of them showed up as red crosses. How about the time they were working on the cave mission(which BTW was working fine) and it stayed broke for almost a year? Or when they fixed the hit boxes and no one could hit hardly a thing without very precise aiming, the argos and berys still have not quite recovered from that fix IMO. And how long did it take to get used to the new cry engine back in 2010 ? This is just to name the ones I remember and they may be others.

I am just saying I don't think anything is really broken so don't fix it especially for the few (in comparison to the number of players) that may want to take advantage of new tech. Maybe in 10 years but not now as I still think it still needs a lot of testing on other games not ours.

I know call me old fashion and living in the past and color me careful with something that is going good.

EU is, and always will be PE to me. PE stood for Project Entropia. It meant to me that it was an open ended ongoing project, not a destination. I think it is still a Project, take loot 2.0 for example. I don't want PE to be finished. I want them to continue to tinker and toy around and develop and explore ways to keep this interesting, always with an eye toward making and keeping a viable economy. I would love to see a VR experience.

Sansar has been open for a few weeks now. They have a Desktop and VR view, I don't see why PE couldn't do the same given the resources. I would love to have this kind of creative control of the environment that I see, as an this example. Maybe I should just go work for Linden Labs...

Reactions: San
I tried it with a shim called VorpX it works but not very well at all. Not worth buying VorpX for it really. I got VorpX for Alien Isolation and couldn't get it to work for that either. Best off just sticking to Oculus store and steam.

Jamhot

I tried it with a shim called VorpX it works but not very well at all. Not worth buying VorpX for it really. I got VorpX for Alien Isolation and couldn't get it to work for that either. Best off just sticking to Oculus store and steam.

Jamhot

You tried what?

And

"Best off just sticking to Oculus store and steam" for what?

EU is, and always will be PE to me. PE stood for Project Entropia. It meant to me that it was an open ended ongoing project, not a destination. I think it is still a Project, take loot 2.0 for example. I don't want PE to be finished. I want them to continue to tinker and toy around and develop and explore ways to keep this interesting, always with an eye toward making and keeping a viable economy. I would love to see a VR experience.

Sansar has been open for a few weeks now. They have a Desktop and VR view, I don't see why PE couldn't do the same given the resources. I would love to have this kind of creative control of the environment that I see, as an this example. Maybe I should just go work for Linden Labs...

I am not in complete disagreement with you about on going development but at this time I think VR is not safe enough for the people that I mentioned in my OP with the mistakes they made on the "easy" stuff.

In case someone missed it. Apparently they do it but not with EU.

Reading that page, the only meetings held on the platform are internal with their development studio. It's a nice idea, but I've always found it odd that MA champion themselves as the platform developers (EU as opposed to Calypso) but actually now all dev work is outsourced.

Anyway, I'm sure Cisco's solution will be better.

I am sorry but to me it is laughable that MA would be in any type of development considering they can not even fix what is already there. It took them months after some changes to the TPs to stop the avatar from spinning when using them. And they still have not stopped the avatar from dancing around a dead mob when using select next target since they decided that the mob should stay visible for a moment or two after being killed. That has been, what two years now ? And lastly what other software company posts a "Know issue list" after release ? Most of the time it was issues that were not there before the release.

tbh at this stage VR is almost dead so MA will probably be implementing it really soon.

There are two big open world games with VR support and there is this video of their implementation.

Last edited:
Some additional info which affects which hardware is supported by other games companies.

"What happened to VR?"

I think a big issue is that to run VR in HD+ you need a pretty capable gfx card...top shelf or above :)

I was thinking of this thread when I saw this article today.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/31/sansar-vr-creator-beta-second-life/

I remember messing around in SL back in '06, I met some guy that claimed to be making ~$500 a month making and selling footwear for avatars back then ( just one example) I don't know how long that lasted.....

Here another person who owned a succesfull bussines in "VR = Virtual Reality" :) (SL!) for 5 happy and unforgetable years in Second Life (2007-2012). Until the worse "human factor" took place from Linden Labs (Second Life development company) ---> G.R.E.E.D.!
All those efforts about virtual worlds are doomed when "company interest" and accountant results coming in place.
I can't trust anyone since.

As about those VR devices, I don't have any real interest.

Last edited:
MindArk: [...] Right now, we are focusing our VR efforts on non-gaming applications, but could later see this technology for our gaming products, including Entropia Universe.
Source. So there is indeed no active work on it for EU.

Back