VU12 Release Notes - Storyline Version!

Status

Ludvig|MindArk

MindArk Official
Staff member
Admin
MindArk Official
Formerly "Foeburner Nighthawk Delta"
Wanted to practice my writing a bit, so I took half an hour to write parts of the latest release notes into a kind of storyline, hope people enjoys it ^^

(I don't feel I am very good at 'official'-ish texts since I have not gotten much practice writing them...)

No Interplanetary Teleportation

With the introduction of space and spacecrafts, teleportation between planets is disabled and traveling through space is the way to go instead. However, it is possible to teleport from FOMA Fortuna (previous CND) and Crystal Palace to Planet Calypso for a fee of 17,5 PED.

Colonisation Cost Causes Collapse in Communications?

The extreme costs of rebuilding Calypso after the War Titan crashing into it years ago, coupled with the costs of the colonisation of the new worlds RockTropia, Next Island and Arkadia, has resulted in a massive lack of resources in the Imperial Government. Transports and development of new technology has had to cope with major budget cutbacks and one of the costliest projects in this venture has been establishing an interplanetary teleportation grid, or IPTG.

With the cancelling of an order for a big number of war spaceships to the Calypso Provisional Government, due to lack of funds, the budget has reached a new low. While Carramone (former officer of the CDF) is being tried for breach of contract, these spaceships will be auctioned off to private buyers to cover the deficit.

While the ships will be limited in firepower (restrictions applied to any civilian vessel, in accordance to galactic law) they will be looked upon to provide protection to their home planets and offer transportation for other colonists as the Imperial Government is shutting down the IPTG program.

The ships will be sold off as they arrive at the colonies and the IPTG will be shut down when the first ship is put up for sale. Admiral Newton had this to say:

"While I am aware that the shutting down of the IPTG will cause problems for many, we believe that the resources spent on keeping it up and the resources poured into compensation for the hangar and ship owners that has been forced to retire due to the program will be better used for other projects."

The admiral also promised to make sure that the process of going back to ships for interplanetary travel will be as smooth as possible.

Looting Ships and Avatars

The whole space, except in the parking zones outside the space stations, is a lootable PvP area where you can battle your opponents. To loot one or several avatars, after you have destroyed the ship, you have to kill them during the time the avatars are floating around in space - before they choke and return to a revive terminal. You can see the avatars from the markers visible above them.

Note that you can now loot the destroyed vehicle's Inventory.

Space Ship Reputation System

A space ship can have a reputation, either as a good or evil ship. The total reputation point is based on both the ship's karma and the captain's and crew's skill; passengers' skills do not count.

• A neutral ship destroying any other ship becomes evil.
  • A neutral ship destroying an evil ship becomes good.

CDF announcement to spacefaring colonists:

Please be adviced that due to underfunding from the Calypso Provisional Government and the Imperial Government, along with the cancellation of the Mothership Project, designed to give more firepower to the CDF fleet, the Calypso Defense Force will only be able to guarantee the safety of colonists within a certain radius of the planet Calypso and the orbiting space stations.

All other areas should be considered extremely dangerous to enter.

PLEASE NOTE: All colonists attacking other colonist owner ships will be logged in the CDF files. Those destroying a fellow humans ship without apparent cause will be put in a publicly available database. If a colonist destroys a ship logged in this database, they will be put in another database recommending them for service.

Planet Bound Auctions

To further spur the interplanetary travel and economy, the auctions will be bound to each planet. This means that you can still view auctions on all planets, but for you to place a bid on an auction or collect an item, you have to be on the specific planet.

Economical Block, or Opportunities arise?

Due to being being part of the now shut down IPTG (Inter-Planet Teleportation Grid), the auction interplanet teleportation grid will also be shut down. This means that only auctions started on the same planet can be bidded on and retrieved on the same planet.

The reason given by Nirida Van, Auctioneer Union leader, for the shutting of the bid service along with the goods transportation service is that it would be too expensive to ensure the security of cross-planet bids without having the infrastructure of the Imperial Government to base it on.

Negotiations were being made between the IG and AU over the possiblity of the AU buying the already placed infrastructure to ensure the safe transfer of payments over larger distances, but the AU had to fold due to the expense of buying such an infrastructure would not be covered by the fees involved.

Vehicle Repair Tool

The vehicle repair tool that you have used to repair vehicle's SI value can also be used on the new space ships and the mothership interior. However, this tool now requires welding wire to function.

Welding Wire Ignites Outrage, spotlights Omegaton scandal?

Mega corporation Omegaton decided Tuesday to not include Welding Wire in the blueprint package for Vehicle Repair Tools in the future, instead forcing disgruntled colonists to get it elsewhere. The reason for this is rumored to be a way to compensate for the money lost due to the Imperial Government freezing post-War Titan support money to the company after millions of PED disappeared, along with Omegaton second-in-command Briar Zench.

Mr. Zench was later found strangled in the captains cabin of his two million PED yacht orbiting Calypso. The docking ring of the yacht had been torn in a way suggesting someone had left the ship without disengaging it first. None of the money that Mr. Zench is suspected of stealing has been found in the yacht, and no further comment has been made by the CDF officers investigating the case.

Some of the moship names are not what I would want on something I owned. Two (yamato and bismarck) were Axis ships destroyed by the US and UK, respectively. Not a good omen. At least Saratoga survived its war action.

Hell, something as expensive as a freakin mothership should be able to be named by the owner.

Imperial Government Sales And Requisition Department (IG-SARD) Notice:

Names of Motherships released to the public

Due to the Motherships initially being ordered by the CDF (Calypso Defense Force), all Motherships were formally registered and named for this. Because of the level of paperwork needed to change the name of such a ship (transfer of name, registration, database entries, etc) this is not an option at the moment.

Last edited:
very nice :) I wish more was written up like this of ingame events and VU-s :)

very nice :) I wish more was written up like this of ingame events and VU-s :)

I'll try to do that in the future if people seems to like this one... I need practice :)

maybe you could submit the ideas to mindark so as to continue the background storyline

Once upon a time, narrative like this did happen on occasion. It would be nice to see its return.

A game is more than a collection of systems to determine some statistical probabilities. It's also an interactive story... or at least it's supposed to be.

This is a very good sum up of those system update in an entertaining narrative form that I'm sure everyone here would enjoy.

Gotta spread the rep. :silly2:

Once upon a time, narrative like this did happen on occasion. It would be nice to see its return.

This is a very good sum up of those system update in an entertaining narrative form that I'm sure everyone here would enjoy.

Thanks, as some people seem to be interested in this I'll make sure to write those for further VUs and such as well :)

Thx for all the +reps!

Wauw, the players on Arkadia were surprising me with their enthousiasm and team spirit,
but aparantly it's contageous :p

It's great to see such cool initiatives! You're making the "game" way cooler! If we imagine we're part of something, and are doing something good, we get a much bigger "reward feeling" :)

gogo community!

Status
Back