VWN: CE2 not before Q2 2009

Well having seen some real crap software/games released over the years when the "deadline" was more important than the actual software....I say take your time MA. I'd rather have it well done, than completely half assed. ;)

I don't mind the delay at all. It means that much more time for me to play before my laptop bursts into flames from trying to run CE2.

I'm also of the opinion that it doesn't matter when it's implemented, but that it's done with as few resulting headaches as possible.

Why mention a deployment date? Is attendence bad enough that fake carrots are needed to entice the masses?

Just say it's done when it's done.

:thumbup:

fucking hell

"news flash in Q2 2009 , MA now expects to roll out Cry2 by summer 2009"
"news summer 2009 , MA now expects to roll out Cry2 by winter 2009"
"news winter 2009 , MA now expects to roll out Cry2 by Q1 2010"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Id rather get it late than broke, but come on set some fucking realistic expectations, if MA said last year "by 2010 we will have cry2" no problem I'm getting a little sick of this shifting dates

More time to buy the new DX10 graphics card or new computer. :)

Does MA's fiscal year commence Jan 1st and end Dec 31st?
If not, then what some are thinking as Q2 being apr-jun may not actually be MA's 2nd Quarter. Normally, when speaking of anything financial, a company refers to it's FY and not a calendar year....

Any thoughts?

So, we'll have more time for preparations. Not bad IMHO. :D
Fine polished Crytopia is way better than rushed and full of bugs MMO-game. I'm ready to wait, patience is a useful virtue on Calypso. :sniper:

Its nice to see a sudden change of tune in this thread, its nice to see people backing MA instead of telling them to hurry the hell up.
Im no techno wizzard, but i imagine this must be such a big project to have to convert a game the size of EU from one graphics engine to another. Probably even bigger than starting a whole new one from scratch. One half of the department making sure the current game is running smoothly, and the other half working on giving the game a facelift of epic proportions.
I say let them get on with it and stop with the complaining. Good for them for doing it at all.

1. I hate empty promises as Kygon, it is irritating my skin off! :mad:
2. Q1 will show the tendency of people selling out more.
3. Q2 - engine still far...
4. half of the people left, markup getting rapidly closer to tt.
5. login window says "sorry, but servers take electrons to run and those take money to work which we ran out of..."

did you see the numbers of people scoring in the last 2 weeks? yes, maximum 10k active people we have here. half of them do not deposit much or at all = 5k people pay for the project to run.

speaking of motivation... ok, I'll let MA to take over my thoughts here and speak. :laugh:

J.

Just like the ATM cards 90 days has turned into 3 years

When they say 90 days and 3 years later we are still without news on the ATM cards.

Put 2 and 2 together... this company has lost all their credibility with me and why I haven't deposited since the atm card scam.

u realise that by the time cry2 is implemented it will no longer be cutting edge cry3 will prob be out lol

I am not surprised, but I am very disappointed. :mad:

I have an old PC, which various parts are dying month after month.
So I have to buy new parts for this obsolete platform, which is a very bad investment as some of them are more expensive than modern ones.

I have the cash ready, and I want to buy a new PC as soon as possible.

But I need to wait for CryTopia to be released, and to adjust the PC parts to the graphic needs.
I wish we had at least some tech spec so that we can plan new machine...

:cdevil:

first ma say Q1 and now they say Q2 ? :( :( :mad: :mad:

Oh but I was being optimistic also, it's a huge mouthfull MA has taken and they only just started chewing on it, gonna take a long time to swallow.

Look at all the things needing changed, just the items, entropedia counting 4700 items, will take a long time...

15 mins to convert the model to a CE2 asset
15 mins to set the stats
30 mins error checking, cross referencing, seeing all is at it should be.

That's atleast one work hour per item, enough to secure the job of a dev for 1.5 years.

And that's just the items, which are essential or ppl would freak out.

Then comes all the other stuff like static models, houses, benches, trees, and worse, the textures, there are still 256x256 textures ingame, lol, maybe even 128x128, which are useless by todays standards, so you will see MA jump the fence many times, by simply adding new models, discarding the old ones.

Rewritting/expanding many parts of the CE2 code to fit the entropia system I will not even guess on, huge work.

And many many other things taking tremendous amounts of work hours.

Just the part of satisfying the old players by making parts of the new Entropia look like the old ads atleast another 6 months of work, time worth spend imo as they need to keep the old players happy.

All guesswork, but hat's off to MA for even starting the project, I will be thrilled just seeing it working, I dont care when it comes.

Is seems logical to me that all existing items/models will be converted using a script or conversion tool. Then in future VU's there will be actual updates to textures and models.

But I need to wait for CryTopia to be released, and to adjust the PC parts to the graphic needs.
I wish we had at least some tech spec so that we can plan new machine...

Look up the specs on the game Crysis, that uses the cryengine2, so i imagine the specs will be about the same, in terms of graphics needs, RAM and processor speed.

Last edited:
Is seems logical to me that all existing items/models will be converted using a script or conversion tool. Then in future VU's there will be actual updates to textures and models.

Absolutely, problem is that EU is build up from many different modelpacks, single models, alf svensson changing modelling techniques over the years so the first he made is not modelled the same way as the later, writting such a conversion tool that could handle it all would prolly take just as long as doing it manually.

But sure, for some parts conversion tools are surely the way to go.

Btw, have you tried walking into (inside) a Stinktree and look around ? lmao what a mess (what a mesh!!!), I'd like to see anyone writting a conversion tool for that :laugh:

The wizards of communication strikes again.

Why the * do we have to browse obscure websites for the latest news on our favorite game?

I'm doing big projects myself, that take years to complete. My two biggest took 1 and 3 years longer than I did hope. So, knowing those things first hand I see the main mistake not in the long development time but in the PR. Telling the public dreams and wished and forecasts won't pay off most of the time. So I changed my personal PR strategy some time ago and when asked after release dates I'm using very pesimistc estimates. Now everybody is positivly surprised when things get done faster.
But I have this freedom, business wise I'm only responsible to myself. MA it seems has more bindings. It's bad going to public with a release info everybody apreciates and aticipates - and not beeing able to honour those promisses. But it would be much worse to be silent and let the month and years pass unused. Unused for getting media and cooporation partners interested. Not new players, they will come when the release is there finally. So, to me the strategy is understandable. But the comunication to the player base is not very good, I agree.
If I would be in charge and if I would see the need to keep the player base on track I would set up a big screen in Twin or PA And would preview a web cam like live preview whenever a MA developer is logged in with his (at this point it should be running) CE client. So people could see while beeing ingame the real new thing live. And see progress. This would be a good emotional treatment against the impression that too little is finished right now, due to the few and always repeating images and videos beeing available.

Back