Question: What affects hit rate?

jambon

Stalker
Society
Shaolin
James Jambon Zidane
I used to be a fairly decent miner back in the day. But then they changed things and I found that it was virtually impossible for me to break even, not because I wasn't going for high markup stuff but because I was getting a 10% hit rate (or worse) even planet side no matter what gear I would use or the location I would mine. And I tried a wide range from unamped TT finders to higher end finders with a variety of amps and everything in between. My run sizes ranged from 100 - 200 peds trying mining both resources, just ores and just enmatters.

I'd like to give mining another go but I'm at a loss for if there's some factors at play that I'm not considering that affect hit rate. I know there are waves and you're not going to get the best hit rate all the time but at least knowing what things can be done to ensure the best possible hit rate would be good. Is there anything that can be done or is it a complete crap shoot?

I appreciate any insight - thanks!

Last edited:
Some of it is just random over time, but some of it has to do with other miners dropping there in the last 15 minutes or so. The latter matters more for places like Ashi that are high traffic and small space, and honestly the only place I get near 10% HR sometimes.

If HR is poor, leave that area for awhile, and don’t try to force hits by continuing to mine there. Avoiding losing PEDs to the downswings is almost more key than finding really good HR. Sometimes an area can have a long-term low HR, and other times it’s temporary. Myself and a few others have done some testing to somewhat predict when an area has good HR (or moreso when to avoid the area), but that definitely gets into the realm of info that those miners keep to themselves.

You have to do your own testing to see what HR you think you should be targeting and how to reach that, but I would definitely say just worry about MU only until you’ve spent a lot of time mining to try to tackle TT returns. It’s a lot easier to just stop mining when you arbitrarily decide to than to mathematically model it. You have to really enjoy that kind of mathematical work to get to that level of detail.

So lets look at the old system. It was far too predictable and way too easy to make up to 300% TT MU. MA had to change the system and make it completely random....

In all honesty, I personally hate the wave system, not that I mine anymore.

I haven't notice any real difference in hit rate when it comes to mining although I do seem to find a lot more clusters than I did in the past. Also field compositions can change in some instances from what I have seen which is something to be aware of when the margins are tight unless you are just building skills. A lot of the places I would frequent 8 years or so ago are still active as far as the composition of the ores and enmatters but the fields are a bit more dynamic. If a certain place isn't hitting well or you are getting a lot of low markup ores/enmatters then it might be worth moving on. There is such a wide variety of gear these days so it might also be worth trying different finders to see if that changes some variable. As with anything in EU some days are good and other days not and once in a blue moon things are awesome.

Back