What can you do with a hanger

Shops are usually 20-40k, maybe a bit more for some like in TP just due to demand. Sometimes lower too I’m somewhere like Deer Mall. I’ve never seen a shop sell for 70k though.

Hangars though I’ve seen for closer to 18-20k. If you honestly were going to get an estate for shopkeepers, then and apartment, etc. would be much cheaper.
Maybe I'm not looking at the auction often enough - the 70k I mentioned was some months ago. Yep an apartment would be cheaper and I could set the access to allow visitors, but doesn't have the same appeal somehow as a hanger which would have more potential if MA changed a few things in the future...

Not only craft machines, also auction, trade terminal, repair and storage are in place at the bar. Let's say they are like a fancy apartment connect to the grid. I like their style and I think they fit well in our sci-fi game.

PS: the thread title says hanger instead of hangar :wise::p
Yep you're absolutely right lol ;) Can't believe I made that typo considering I'm not far from Hangar Lane, London. Must be the all-night traffic din. I like the style of those hangars as well.

Before the space as we know it, which was added in 2010, hangars were the means of travel to CP and CND. There was no actual flying in space, no space at all - you would enter someone's hangar, sit inside the static model of a ship inside it, and watch an animation, and then you were at the destination. Basically an elaborate private teleporter. Here's how it looked from the outside, but it also was just an animation, no ship was actually going anywhere. The people inside hangar would just disappear and appear inside the "CND" instance.

When the actual space was created, every hangar owner got them a privateer, a fully functional spaceship. But the old hangars also doubled as estates, houses. To compensate for that function, they also got the current "hangars" which are just houses, nothing else. Some argue that privateers don't provide the ability to board it from a planet, but for that every hangar owner also got unlimited Space Thruster, so they go to space and back without any additional cost, and then teleport to their ship from space station. Yes, it means additional steps but the whole space thing got immensely bigger than before. When you grow up, you tend to do more steps, you see.

The mistake that MA made was to make the compensative estates look like space hangars, retaining the perceived connection between them and spaceships, which raised the expectations and demands for an actual functional connection (like privateers landing into them). That never was the idea, and it's awkward to still hear it being pushed for15 years later. Most hangars aren't even owned by the ships owners anymore, but are hoarded by "investors" who are most vocal in lobbying the functionality ideas, for instant 10x profit on their investment.
Right, I see, so at least the old hangar owners were compensated then with spacecraft which is something.

I think they make great apartments :)

I am bias as i have owned one before and i plan to rebury one again as i'm working my way down a list of items. The list of items seems to be continuously changing although the hangar has always stayed on the list :)

Having said that there is plenty of evidence to suggest I'm right e.g. this statement by MA:
Of course you left out the first half of the answer that says about the already implemented functionality :). And in the quoted "history of the hangars" the emphasis is on history, not on hangars. If we imagine for a second that that statement is not just a come-off and has any substance at all, that could mean they might extend the existing prviateers' functionality to resemble something of old. For example they could add public landing pads at Athena Spaceport for them. Which of course can't possibly happen because it, for no reason, would give enormous advantage and price boost to privateers over motherships (allowing motherships to land too would be just silly and against the whole concept of a mothership).

Now look at it from MA's practical viewpoint. What possibly can make the lazy and sluggish MA to revise a deal that was finalized 15 years ago and make any changes, if there is no new substantial money in it? The persistent irritation from hangar owners? Frankly, I only see like 3 people who constantly talk about this; everyone else certainly would love to suddenly get something out of nothing but they don't think or believe enough that they are owed something.

But let's say that the itch is strong enough for MA to want to scratch it. By doing so they would pour salt over it. Most hangars aren't in the hands of actual space people anymore, and many of them were sold at the normal price of a semi-unique estate. If they, after all this time, suddenly get any space-related functionality, the outcry of the original hangars' owners (lost profit) and the current privateers' owners (lost functionality) would outperform anything MA has to deal with today.

Anyway, I don't know why I even write this. I understand that you have too much skin in the game to see these things my way, and even if/when you start to accept it internally, it would be stupid to accept it publically and seal the fate of your investments.

Dont forget the amount of regret you will have after you buy one ;)

Perfect for crafting since the system doesn't see resources that aree located in estates. :)

When you add those extra storage units to an apartment do they have there own storage?
Or is it still the same as the cally storage?

Asking becouse ive seen an apartment with multible storage units.

When you add those extra storage units to an apartment do they have there own storage?
Or is it still the same as the cally storage?

Asking becouse ive seen an apartment with multible storage units.
It goes towards the planet storage so more than one is just stupid

I think they make great apartments :)

I am bias as i have owned one before and i plan to rebury one again as i'm working my way down a list of items. The list of items seems to be continuously changing although the hangar has always stayed on the list :)
Yes, especially if they have their own user terminals, although I'm sure you have to pay to use them just like anywhere else...

I think they make a great society hub.. At least one soc uses one for this purpose I am betting.. Pretty sure they went for <10k though..
At least before rona..
The +20K price tag.. That seems excessive..

Heh..? EU, excessive :hammer:..

ask to get it moved to your landarea, then you have terminals on your landarea.. (check the club sweat landarea)

I think they make a great society hub.. At least one soc uses one for this purpose I am betting.. Pretty sure they went for <10k though..
At least before rona..
The +20K price tag.. That seems excessive..

Heh..? EU, excessive :hammer:..
Yep a bit excessive, that's like 2000US$, but still a lot less than the one I've seen being offered at 30k. I may reconsider now...

Of course you left out the first half of the answer that says about the already implemented functionality :). And in the quoted "history of the hangars" the emphasis is on history, not on hangars. If we imagine for a second that that statement is not just a come-off and has any substance at all, that could mean they might extend the existing prviateers' functionality to resemble something of old. For example they could add public landing pads at Athena Spaceport for them. Which of course can't possibly happen because it, for no reason, would give enormous advantage and price boost to privateers over motherships (allowing motherships to land too would be just silly and against the whole concept of a mothership).

Now look at it from MA's practical viewpoint. What possibly can make the lazy and sluggish MA to revise a deal that was finalized 15 years ago and make any changes, if there is no new substantial money in it? The persistent irritation from hangar owners? Frankly, I only see like 3 people who constantly talk about this; everyone else certainly would love to suddenly get something out of nothing but they don't think or believe enough that they are owed something.

But let's say that the itch is strong enough for MA to want to scratch it. By doing so they would pour salt over it. Most hangars aren't in the hands of actual space people anymore, and many of them were sold at the normal price of a semi-unique estate. If they, after all this time, suddenly get any space-related functionality, the outcry of the original hangars' owners (lost profit) and the current privateers' owners (lost functionality) would outperform anything MA has to deal with today.

Anyway, I don't know why I even write this. I understand that you have too much skin in the game to see these things my way, and even if/when you start to accept it internally, it would be stupid to accept it publically and seal the fate of your investments.

There are so many erroneous thoughts here that I find it difficult to see where to start from. I doubt we are going to agree on anything here and that's not addressed just to you but others who hold similar views to you.

I'm tempted to systematically address each and every point but it would take too long and I have better things to do. Instead I'll try for a different condensed approach. Perhaps we can agree on the fact that what we have presently in space is not what MA wanted because we can see what MA wanted from their original ways of doing things. They wanted spaceships taking off from hangars and going into space, which is what we used to have. From their statement above we can see that they continue to hold that view and that their is a mismatch between what we have in game and what MA actually wanted. Now because of this mismatch it stands to reason at some stage MA will address it and hopefully get in game what they originally wanted i.e. spaceships launching from hangars.

You talked about privateers landing. There are different ways of doing things and one for example could be having another spaceship or the original hangar type spaceship launch from hangars and not a privateer.
In the old Entropia Universe front page there used to be a small spaceship that flies from the right of the screen towards the logo at the top center off the page. I see they have changed their front page and its no longer there but if you go back to wayback machine you can see how it used to be. Here is a pic of it:
index.php

and here is just the spaceship from that pic:
index.php

oh the webaddress for it is:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200514034803/https://www.entropiauniverse.com/index.xml

Now I mention all this because that small spaceship could fit into a hangar and could be used to transport people into space from hangars. I'm trying to open your mind to different possibilities.

Also you mention of the outcry of original hangar owners and current owners should MA do anything. Which I find completely unreasonable and a little silly. I doubt current owners would be upset if they got a new spaceship to launch people from planet into space. On the contrary they would be more than happy. Planet partners would also stand to benefit from something like this as it could mean an additional income stream for them should they implement hangars.

Anyway the most important point in all this is what MA originally wanted and want. Like I said there is a mismatch between what we have and what MA want in game. Which is why at some stage things will change as and when this is addressed and it will be for the better for the game as a whole.

Neither the current 'space travel in EU' system or the old one; going by the vid that Svarog posted up, makes any sense. For the current system, there's no point in having hangers or landing pads/towers like the one's at Athena Space Base, when you can just spawn a quad-wing or sleipnir almost anywhere and get into space by simply going vertical for a few minutes. As for the previous system, this simply couldn't happen like that without the hangar being blown to pieces.

However, getting back to what this thread is about - what can you do with a hangar, I had a good look at one of them just recently and there were 20+ shopkeeper pads in it offering all manner of items, as well as various display boards, etc, on the walls, so somebody is making good use of one and doing fairly well with it, otherwise there wouldn't be so many shopkeepers which aren't that cheap.

Your not usually wrong but in this case you couldn't be further from the truth. I don't think it was a mistake for having hangars look like space hangars. I suspect they were planning on using hangars for a space ship to go from a hangar into space. However something went wrong perhaps they ran out of time and had to rush something out and cut corners perhaps they outsourced space development to a third party who messed up. We don't know the details and probably will never know.

Having said that there is plenty of evidence to suggest I'm right e.g. this statement by MA:

Taken from 2020 AMA in this thread:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...l-hangars-have-a-useful-purpose-again.277652/

They have said similar things in other places. Anyway from their statement above space and its connection to planets is very much in their thoughts for future development as is the role hangars play in those future development plans. So they are not just "regular estates".

Not sure if it is relevant, but MA once released a preview video (I think relating to an event introducing Shinkiba?) that had sound effects and showed a hangar roof opening. So guessing at least a functional roof was always part of a plan of some kind that went west.

Out of interest, would a hangar actually fit a privateer? I mean, their bay's are pretty big but then again so are the privateers. Hangars are actually way bigger than most people realise. I visited one while using VR once and was bowled over at the sheer scale of them!

I think you mean this video:
I think this was released before we had hangar estates back in game after the switch over to cryengine. Before we had space.

I suspect a privateer would be too big to fit inside a hangar.

Not sure if it is relevant, but MA once released a preview video (I think relating to an event introducing Shinkiba?) that had sound effects and showed a hangar roof opening. So guessing at least a functional roof was always part of a plan of some kind that went west.

Out of interest, would a hangar actually fit a privateer? I mean, their bay's are pretty big but then again so are the privateers. Hangars are actually way bigger than most people realise. I visited one while using VR once and was bowled over at the sheer scale of them!
Yes they're fairly big. Here's a pcf link showing spacecraft sizes, but don't know if the privateer would be able to fit in a hanger though.

Yes they're fairly big. Here's a pcf link showing spacecraft sizes, but don't know if the privateer would be able to fit in a hanger though.
Wow.. Are ALL those Ships ingame?

I kinda feel something went wrong, a wrong turn or something because those ships look awesome and like some sci-fi programme.. Possibly Eve online but the designs are awesome...
When you look at mankini's and romans and King Kong. and strippers and rabbits and sandals and some other stuff, it feels more like a soap-opera than a sci-fi..

Wow.. Are ALL those Ships ingame?
No.
Only four of those are in game. The others are concept art or models from over a decade ago.

I wouldn't go by that graphic as its made by another player and purely arbitrary.

Re the scale question, the best I can do 🤭 insert pic you can just about make out the 2 avatars, ive plopped them on the space pic for scale.
index.php

index.php

Im not on caly otherwise id have added a people scale vs hangar too :D

No.
Only four of those are in game. The others are concept art or models from over a decade ago.
Really..? They all look absolutely awesome.. Shame really.. Those designs are incredibly on point for a Sci-fi MMORPG..
Maybe the fucntionality is lacking, but man they are pretty.

Back