What constitutes a hunting run?

Often times we talk about doing a run. We talk about cycling PED which is pretty straightforward (how much input you put into it) but we never really talk about what is a run. Is there a time period associated with a run? Is a run when you have to repair? Is a run a certain amount of ammo?
I ask these questions because many folks believe you have to sit at your keyboard for hours on end in order to hit that next wave. Do the big hitters actually spend all day killing mobs to hit the HOF? Often times I wonder does MA reward those who have no life and can sit at their keyboard for hours?
So I pose the questions, in everyone's opinion, what constitutes a hunting, mining or crafting run?

You have a codex now. IMHO a 'run' is simply going up one level on the codex for any given mob.

For me it's either consuming the resources I have available - or running out of time for the day.

Crafting run is a single BP. I may move around machines or locations during the run but if I change to crafting another item, that's a different crafting run.

Mining run either out of probes or out of time.

Hunting run either out of ammo or out of time. If I'm doing something that I need (L) for that might be it instead of ammo.

That's as far as I ever look for +/- and "how I did". I suspect though that players who are tracking towards long term averages would just call that a "session" or something similar.

I realize that all may seem short sighted to some but for me, that's part of keeping it a "game". There is one reason I look at possibly several days or several activities combined and that's cycling a UA depo. When turning UA into PED I try and keep a feel for how well I did over all.

Last edited:
Do the big hitters actually spend all day killing mobs to hit the HOF?

Honestly I think these days the long hours are to keep the average. Chasing a HoF you're going to see more intermittent play. The RNG is ... only so random 🤔

Mining, when amp is done and you pulled all resources.
Hunting, when you're done for the day or switching things up entirely, like from hunting 6h maffoids to then go 6h in mayhem, that's 2 runs a 6h for me.
Crafting, when however many attempts you tried is done, be it 100x or 10000x.

When I have completed a daily task. Sometimes I set a goal for how much ammo/ped I want to use.

Fully repaired gear + 500 ped of ammo = A run in my book.

(Not saying this shoddy tome isn't failing me )

That is something I was looking at and experimenting with in my Hunting blog. My hunting runs got longer and longer, especially later in the blog, in an effort to normalize the returns for each run. But even for runs that were 8 hours or more, the returns were all over the place, and it just seemed impossible to hunt long enough to reach that point where I reach the mean average for returns.

For me it's have gun will run and get as many mobs as I can for as long as I can without interruptions, aka getting killed and ending up at a revive.

*Pertaining to hunting*
I dont think a "run: is anything specific. Since it starts on Avatar being born (haha). So I would say a full run is a weapon "breaking". UL means needs to be repaired, *unless smuggler mako and its like 999999999999999 ped TT> Or for L, running threw a full tt L gun. That would constitute a "run". Even though they all "run" into each other. I love the question.

Mining, when amp is done and you pulled all resources.
Hunting, when you're done for the day or switching things up entirely, like from hunting 6h maffoids to then go 6h in mayhem, that's 2 runs a 6h for me.
Crafting, when however many attempts you tried is done, be it 100x or 10000x.
For me mining run is not done before at least 30 amps are burned, L5 for reference

That is something I was looking at and experimenting with in my Hunting blog. My hunting runs got longer and longer, especially later in the blog, in an effort to normalize the returns for each run. But even for runs that were 8 hours or more, the returns were all over the place, and it just seemed impossible to hunt long enough to reach that point where I reach the mean average for returns.
Returns normalize in sessions, runs can be whatever. Entropia tally is the bomb for this

For me mining run is not done before at least 30 amps are burned, L5 for reference
Yeah I obviously do several amps as well but since I do smaller amps I need to excavate before and that kinda resets it all for me, but yeah I agree. The longer the runs the better!

Most soc members I played with considered a run to be how much ammo it took to trigger enough globals (or one big global) to breakeven.

2006 = 200 ped run
2010 = 400 ped run
2015 = 800 ped run
2020 = 1200 ped run

Or another measure around say 2015 was one full amp burn, when say A105 or A106 was the norm.

What's 2022 like?

Rick.

in practice it's just a question of what i can fit into a session before i either go to bed for the night or take a break.

either i get tired or i cycle through my guns/ammo and need to hit a vendor

in practice it's just a question of what i can fit into a session before i either go to bed for the night or take a break.
that's how a run works. A session, well I am stuck on one, have been for many months - I can actually see the end of it in front of me now

I guess that is what I was getting at. I always worry that I left the hunt too early or stayed way too long. I guess then the real questions is at what point do you reach your average return based off the looter pro and the weapon eff.? I have always wondered this but this year merry mayhem has got me questioning a couple things. First if I leave annihilation and go to FFA will my average (tracking) start over or will I still hit the 95% regardless? Same with changing up maturities? What if I hunt the same mob but on another server?

At the end of the day one has to think about when do you quit the hunt? Hunting the mob? The planet?

that's how a run works. A session, well I am stuck on one, have been for many months - I can actually see the end of it in front of me now
I like .. Multiple runs make up a session and the goal of the session is to hit my % return, break even or profit. I want to get to the point where I do not have to worry about "if only I stayed on that run longer" kind of thing. I am on a 70K session at the moment and would love to move on but something tells me to keep at it and my % will get better. Understanding what a too short of a run is goes a long way in planning the session.

I guess that is what I was getting at. I always worry that I left the hunt too early or stayed way too long. I guess then the real questions is at what point do you reach your average return based off the looter pro and the weapon eff.? I have always wondered this but this year merry mayhem has got me questioning a couple things. First if I leave annihilation and go to FFA will my average (tracking) start over or will I still hit the 95% regardless? Same with changing up maturities? What if I hunt the same mob but on another server?

At the end of the day one has to think about when do you quit the hunt? Hunting the mob? The planet?

Looking at FiveDolla's graphs, it seems pretty clear that a hunter can be on a losing streak for over a month before getting that "compensation" hof to average out the returns.

My own personal opinion on the matter is that it does not matter if you change mobs, change planets, or even change profession. The loot system just follows you no matter where you go or what you do. And sometimes I even think it doesn't matter if you go from 10 ped/loot event down to 2 ped/loot event, the loot system even "knows" and "compensates" for that as well and so that's why we sometimes see a quick succession of 2 or more item drops or hofs (which seems to be happening less now though). But what convinced me of this is a few years ago I participated in Mayhem (which I never do) and by my own estimate lost at least 6k. Then when it was over I switched back to crafting, and after a few days got 2 nice hofs back to back which totalled roughly 4100 ped which pretty much made up for the losses in the Mayhem.

Looking at FiveDolla's graphs, it seems pretty clear that a hunter can be on a losing streak for over a month before getting that "compensation" hof to average out the returns.

My own personal opinion on the matter is that it does not matter if you change mobs, change planets, or even change profession. The loot system just follows you no matter where you go or what you do. And sometimes I even think it doesn't matter if you go from 10 ped/loot event down to 2 ped/loot event, the loot system even "knows" and "compensates" for that as well and so that's why we sometimes see a quick succession of 2 or more item drops or hofs (which seems to be happening less now though). But what convinced me of this is a few years ago I participated in Mayhem (which I never do) and by my own estimate lost at least 6k. Then when it was over I switched back to crafting, and after a few days got 2 nice hofs back to back which totalled roughly 4100 ped which pretty much made up for the losses in the Mayhem.
Again, thanks for the response.
Seems logical to say that the return % cycle (input verses output) is on the avatar. Then each avatar has its own cycle then? and finding that cycle is key? Hmm sounds challenging lol. maybe I start tracking both mobs' sessions and overall, me sessions. :)

Again, thanks for the response.
Seems logical to say that the return % cycle (input verses output) is on the avatar. Then each avatar has its own cycle then? and finding that cycle is key? Hmm sounds challenging lol. maybe I start tracking both mobs' sessions and overall, me sessions. :)
This is anecdotal evidence which goes against official statements that there is no personal loot pool. So no I wouldn’t consider it logical to come to that conclusion. But you can all speculate how you like.

This is anecdotal evidence which goes against official statements that there is no personal loot pool. So no I wouldn’t consider it logical to come to that conclusion. But you can all speculate how you like.

It's anecdotal but seeing things like this again and again begs the question:

index.php

What the hell dude??? How does the loot system know EXACTLY how much to give you to return you to the 97% mean???

This graph is from LongTime's hunting log and just shows 1 month's worth of returns, logged and graphed for easy and quick analysis.

I did my own hunting blog for a while and experienced the same thing; the loot system always finds a way to make it up to you somehow.

I know MA has said more than once that there is NO personal loot pool. I think it's a bit of a play on words. I think there IS something that keeps track and "informs" the loot system whether you can "receive" this or that multiplier. MA would be able to say "there is no personal loot pool" and it would be true, but that wouldn't mean that something isn't keeping track of your returns...

It's anecdotal but seeing things like this again and again begs the question:

index.php

What the hell dude??? How does the loot system know EXACTLY how much to give you to return you to the 97% mean???

This graph is from LongTime's hunting log and just shows 1 month's worth of returns, logged and graphed for easy and quick analysis.

I did my own hunting blog for a while and experienced the same thing; the loot system always finds a way to make it up to you somehow.

I know MA has said more than once that there is NO personal loot pool. I think it's a bit of a play on words. I think there IS something that keeps track and "informs" the loot system whether you can "receive" this or that multiplier. MA would be able to say "there is no personal loot pool" and it would be true, but that wouldn't mean that something isn't keeping track of your returns...
Happens for some people but doesn’t happen for everybody. Some get hofs without the losses, and some go longer with losses without the hof. But when it does play out in a way that looks deliberate, those are the cases that we remember and share our stories of. It’s a bit of confirmation bias I think.
I can believe that there could be some kind of timer on brand new accounts so they don’t ATH immediately without any skin in the game.

Happens for some people but doesn’t happen for everybody. Some get hofs without the losses, and some go longer with losses without the hof. But when it does play out in a way that looks deliberate, those are the cases that we remember and share our stories of. It’s a bit of confirmation bias I think.
I can believe that there could be some kind of timer on brand new accounts so they don’t ATH immediately without any skin in the game.

I used to think that, then I did my own hunting log and started tracking everything. Now I know there's a bias somewhere in the loot system or running in parallel with it.

Hmm, I've had to give this much contemplation.

For me, a hunting/mining run means hitting 100% TT return or close to it.

But most runs for hunting equate to a 4 amp run.

Back