what laptpo to buy

Mants

Stalker
Manta Mants Extreme
hello fellow entropians i am thinking of buying a laptop for my gaming pleasure but am struggling a bit with the choices. I roughly have about £600 to spend on one and have been looking at dell.

if anyone has any suggestions or advice for me please feel free to give it..

This is the one i am looking at, at the moment.

Processor
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5450 Processor (1.66GHz,667MHz,2MB L2 cache)

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English

Video Cards
nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8400M GS with 128MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory

Memory
1024MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]

Wireless Communication
Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-Card - Europe

thanks alot people :D

i just bought a low end dell laptop and EU runs fine on that

dell inspirion 1501 for just 500 euro

thats just 350 pounds for the island ppl

also dell ships now or very soon with linux

(if you have a win xp around you save the licensing costs also)

I'm almost certain they do Linux now :). You could get Linux on your laptop and save some bucks and spend them on upgrading something else ;).

Laptops are not great for gaming. Even one's built for it. Modern models works decent though.

Think future. Most laptops have no way to upgrade the vid card. Some seem to have an option now to do that and that might be a good choice. With VU 9.0 coming soon and then the new graphics engine coming in a year you might keep that in mind. I don't think the one you have there will be very future proof. Might want to wait for at least VU 9.0 to come out and see how much more graphics and CPU power is needed.

Any particular reason you'd want a laptop for gaming? A desktop would of course be a better decision, unless you plan to use the laptop for other things besides gaming?

the main reason for wanting a laptop is to be able to access entropia form palce to place. i have a desktop but travel away at weekends and so wanting it for on the go gaming. sad i know but im addicted lol..

forgive my ignorance but what is linux ??

Why buy?

Just walk into your local coffeeshop and keep an eye on the posers with their notebooks out. One of these prize-pillocks will leave theirs unattended at some point to go to the toilet...if only to snort another row.

Save these pathetic people from a lifetime of work-related stress and early heart attacks. If they deserved money, they would've been born into it:laugh:

Linux is an OS...like Microsoft Windows and whatever Mac's run on this year.

Unlike Windows, it is open-source.

the main reason for wanting a laptop is to be able to access entropia form palce to place. i have a desktop but travel away at weekends and so wanting it for on the go gaming. sad i know but im addicted lol..

"Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world. Developed under the GNU General Public License, the source code for Linux is freely available to everyone.

http://www.linux.org/

Well since you don't know what Linux is maybe it's not a good idea to get it. But if you were to get Linux I'd recommend Ubuntu for you.

Why buy?

Just walk into your local coffeeshop and keep an eye on the posers with their notebooks out. One of these prize-pillocks will leave theirs unattended at some point to go to the toilet...if only to snort another row.
Sounds like someone been working the apartment balconies to much in EU. :silly2:

I use Ubuntu Linux for other things. Would not recommend it if you do not like trying to get things to work. Linux has come a long way for the average PC user but still not click and go like Windows.

Alienware?

ever heard of ALIENWARE????
have fun and don't drool on the keyboard.

check: www.alienware.com you can also buy reconditioned mobile desktops wich are modern super laptops they have on on ebay they sell trhough their reconditione site from the main site on ebay, you can get an area 51 m7700 with amd processors for about 1400-1600 usd.

Pink.

I just got a Dell vostro with T7700 core 2 duo, 2 gb ram, 17" screen , Geforce 8600M GT graphics and Vista Business. EU runs fine on it, although I have to run it windowed, the mouse cursor flickers in full-screen, but thats a Vista issue.
Was about $2200 US.

ever heard of ALIENWARE????
have fun and don't drool on the keyboard.

check: www.alienware.com you can also buy reconditioned mobile desktops wich are modern super laptops they have on on ebay they sell trhough their reconditione site from the main site on ebay, you can get an area 51 m7700 with amd processors for about 1400-1600 usd.

Pink.

Yea, they have some INSANE laptops, but you WILL be paying for it. Even their mid-end gaming laptops (hell, even their desktops) are ridiculously expensive compared to most other companies. I guess if you have the money to spend and want the best of the best though... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Hrmm, *needs to read better*. Reconditioned might be a good idea, have never checked that out though. I guess if they offer some nice ones.

All I gotta say:)
You wanna play it on windows XP proffesional still the best software to go with and vista has still too many bugs. takes atleats 1 year before they fixed it i think.

All I gotta say:)
You wanna play it on windows XP proffesional still the best software to go with and vista has still too many bugs. takes atleats 1 year before they fixed it i think.

90% of windows users were sticking with '2000' into 2005 after XP came out...I'd hold my breath.

Oh, and the Starbucks-laptop thing was supposed to be a joke...they come with wi-fi now; only a total Muppet would nick one.

Back