What makes you, play, pay, and enjoy?

Mika

Elite
These questions, have been asked many times, in many forms.

Since the days of old till today, new players starting 2 years ago, or 15 years ago, everyone always follow the same "loot bad, want more loot, want more skills, need better dps but cant afford, want better loot" kind of droning.

But.i'm curious to hear peoples answers, be as elaborate as you wish to be, or not. Do read the questions, instead of perhaps freely letting fingers flow about what you "dont like", try limiting it to what the questions ask.

What makes you log on, and play the game?

Why do you pay the amount you do, to play?

What do you enjoy doing in Entropia?

When you have written your answers, re-read them to yourself, then ask yourself:

Why do i do it?

If the answer to why, does not correlate to the whats. Are you perhaps chasing the wrong goals?

Ill go first:

I started playing entropia as a 16 year old kid, back then, the way i had to even depo, was incredibly much not legal on any side . But hey, kids do the dumbest sh** and ever since i've logged in, logged out, taken long breaks and short.

But Entropia, was the first real MMO i played, beating Anarchy Online by a few days litterally, but still. Through the years EU helped me pay for my first ever "proper" gaming rig.

These days, I love to hop onto EU, and try to figure out the game again. But this time i'm doing it on my terms for the past few weeks, not the games terms. I have never enjoyed EU as much in the past year after returning ever. Doing things my way, instead of the way the game, and everyone "wants you to" is for me such a relief.

My way instead of the games way? well, we all do our thing, we hunt, we mine, or we craft. I simply stopped one day as I was really annoyed struggling with what i wanted to do, what weapons should i aim for, what upgrades did i need, what should i hunt... and repeat.... and repeat... i chipped out twice, so i was at a incredibly low lvl stage again. but leveling up now goes so quick weapon upgrades flew out the window faster than i could get new gear to progress, bigger guns, bigger this better that... One day, I was looking at wanting myself a UL gun, something i could use and not be so darn locked to one planet. I had looked at the L1000, the Zero Three, and the Frontier, those 3 where my biggest candidates. Untill i stopped by twitch and asked Akiranblade about it.

He told me to drop those guns, and instead look at the MK2 Adjusted, and i did. and I now have a weapon albeit a little low dps since it isnt the fastest shooter, lets me hunt "more or less everything I want to" since its tier 7, 2 dings from 8. Great damage great eco. and after a week of really enjoying it, i realized. "why the fuck do i, or did i bother needing or wanting bigger stuff, to always chase big big bigger biggest?"

I now log onto the game, I know what i can do and can't do, and its great. I play on my terms, I know i've reached the platou i want to be on, and I feel no push, or rush to keep chasing bigger anymore for the aske of just going bigger.

Why do you pay the amount you do to play?

I pay what i do, in order to keep playing the way I want to do. Knowing full well what my costs will be, more or less, means i can adjust. I dont have a nagging annoyance of "loot better pick up or ill go broke" kind of feeling. I don't feel i need to have superb returns every single minute of play as I know its not to be expected, and i know just how long the amount i pay, will get me.

Could it be less? Sure, would it maker me happier if i had great returns and big hoffs way more often or so on? obviously.

What do you enjoy doing?

As above, playing on my terms, is great. MK2 adjusted is i guess in most eyes a hyper low lvl weapon these days, unless you have a mayhem sword, with another mayhem sword attached at the hilt, and have it simultanously spit fire dealing periodic AOE from the 10 arso chips lined on its blades you are a trash low lvl scum player....

But no i enjoy playing and hunting what i like to do. around what in the old days used to be a bit higher lvl stuff, today most call it low or "mid" at best. but i play to have fun, and so i decided that was fun.

Chasing other goals that i can realistically reach is also a fun thing to do on the side. Chasing daily tokens for a coat or two, the horns from monria, and other long term things that, i know ill reach, and the journey there will take time.

I do enjoy killing bigger stuff too, go either at my paygrade or way above it. Along with events, like migrations and what not do require me to still either use limited guns, or keep a eye out for what i could spend a big lucky hoff on one day if it were to happen.

And lastly:

Why do i do it?

Had i written these answers just before i last chipped out and sold out. I would struggle to not just rant about bad loot, bad returns, shit systems awfull clutter, bugs, annoying crap from A to Z and how i couldnt upkeep my hunting for a flat week because of how extremely expensive it was...

Now today i do it purely because i stopped giving a shit about litterally every skill in the game. Skills, levels, and gains will come. They never stopped coming. What i stopped myself, was the ever long drain of "oh i got a better level, time to go hunt bigger stuff and get a better gun huhu!" fleeting from one level platou, to the next, needing better guns, better armor, better tools for every platou reached. Becasue that is what was expected of me as a player? Nah done with that.

The only times ill pull out a bigger gun now, is during events, or during wave events. it took me a month to kill my last daily token gun simply becasue i've never had need to up my dps that often to part take in things or to part take and not have my dps be to low to part take in maybe rolling the dice.

These questions is something i've pondered for a very long time, because everywhere i look, what everyone is saying its all just chasing the same goals,.. its always Get Skill -> Get better gear -> Get more skill -> Get Better gear

And everytiem they complete their platou and move on, they seem to drop everything they used to do, and go to a higher pay level and get more and more frustrated. I refuse to believe i'm the only one that decided to find my place, no matter if its a "low lvl scum place" in todays entropia. What happened to playing the game and enjoying it without being forced to a platou?

disclaimer back in the olden days this happened as well, only difference was that the game litterally grabbed and forced you into playing a "platou" or a level step, for waaaaaaaaay longer than today simply because of how quickly you get skills now.

Yes, even if you were messi, if you had 700hp, and lvl 300 in <Insert hunting proffessions here> what exactly stops you from hunting and doing what you enjoy? Not saying uber hunting isnt fun. But why do it if it clearly isnt bringing joy?

Disclaimer 2 I do put a lot of blame on mindark for not making the game so that people enjoy playing rather than being forced to level hurdle into expensiveness that they don't necessarily enjoy.

uhmmm...let me think, real hard :unsure:

Ah crap, something just came to my mind but left before I could type it down.
Never mind. Maybe I can think of something later....

To make money.
To buy better gear and make more money.
When you summarize the annual report and you realized that you've made more money than you anticipated.
what exactly stops you from hunting and doing what you enjoy?
You do what you like, you don't make as much money as you want.If you want more fun you play other game.You gain something, you lose something.

What makes you log on and play the game?

I play to make peds and become a non-depositing player. I also like to go against the status quo and do things people say are impossible. An example is consistently getting high returns in the 99-101% region in hunting with an efficiency of around 65% or 106% TT returns using standard mining equipment.

As a free-to-play or self-sufficient player that I've always aspired to become, I don't pay anything out of my pocket, so I enjoy playing EU no matter what happens. Even if I hit a bad period, I know what to do to recover those lost funds and become better whilst increasing my ingame assets or gear upgrades.

I enjoy the fact that I can now enjoy the game without thinking about how much I lost on the run. Once I lose ped, I can always get the ped back somehow, like mining for pyrite or hunting mobs that have an average 15-25% markup. Knowledge in the EU is the power to control your destiny.

Why do I do it?

Why not? It's fun to know that I get to see the fruits of my labour at the end of the month, a growing ped card. Then decide whether my next course of action will be more ped-making activities or something different to reduce the monotony while still focusing on activities within my ped balance.

Last edited:

little Gambling addiction and Virtual Entertainment.

I am a casual gamer so what i pay is reasonable (Average of 70$ /month so far...)

Shooting the mobs the daily mission terminal gives me every day (if i have the time to do them after my RL work of course...)

Why do i do it?

RL Money need to be spent and i have the virtual entertainment i was seeking.

It is set up for freedom - go to any place at anytime for whatever reason you want. I never feel like I'm "missing out" if I'm not logged in everyday, but I like to keep up with what is going on. It's always evolving and something to discover or try.
I do it for the community, I have never found one like this in gaming - not perfect, but free of spam, hate, and other RL crap. People that go out of the way to help and do things to enjoy each other.
Finally, I enjoy the thrill - trying to get that big loot, see how skilled I can get and what big mob I can take on.

I have always been attracted to grindy games which take a fair bit of dedication to beat. I also enjoy a bit of light gambling. My eyes and body let me down a lot these days so I am unable to keep up with other games that have a high dexterity requirement. Ping is also a big issue in Australia which locks me out of many other online games. EU fits the bill, or at least it did previously
Since then my interest in the game and my game time has drastically reduced. No fault of EU, but with my own battle with cancer. My progonsis is good, please don't lose sleep over me, but such events in ones life can change your outlook completely, I no longer feel as much joy for computer games and now am focussing my attention on more fulfilling activities.
In EU I have redirected my PED into passive income and only keep a bare essential gear loadout which I keep for events or the odd daily mission.

In my early days I deposited fairly heavily in order to take advantage of in game investments which I could get a better return from than other RL options. I have since reached the limit of what I feel is a comfortable amount for me to put towards a high risk digital investment, so I no longer deposit.
My game is funded by making smart decisions, as well as having a decent passive income stream.

Events mainly. Using markup from them to offest my TT losses.
I also like collecting daily tokens.
I used to like crafting but I got sick of dealing with bloated inventories and overly complex excel spreadsheets. This was one of the first things I gave up in favour of a simpler lifestyle.

Why do i do it?
Why not?

Well nothing really makes me log in. I have a number of games that I play and Entropia is just one of them. I've always liked the RCE portion of the game so its a great motivator. I've finally reached a level where I can play the events at the level I like so it tends to be one of the main reasons I login. Sometimes its just for the sake of exploring and checking out the game design as well. EU always ebbs and flows for me, sometimes I login a lot other times I just chill.

Since my return to active play most PED goes to upgrades and investments. It takes a decent bankroll to hunt and mine the way I like, so its a balance.

Hunting and mining with some crafting here and there. I do like to explore new places and check out new creator content. Looting great items or uber PED loot is always enjoyable. Looting something my avatar can use is highly enjoyable so its worth the grind at times.

Why do i do it?

I've play PE/EU longer than any other game. Sure money is a motivator and when I scaled back for school many years ago my fund withdraws paid for things I still use in real life today. The Science Fiction MMO theme was always a draw and I like to think back on where PE was and what EU is now plus what it will be down the road. Watching my avatar grow and tackle new goals with success that is within my budget is always fun.

The Create a Critter competition many years ago motivated me to go back to school and learn new digital tools. This has made a huge impact in my career and life in general outside of EU. PE/EU is intertwined in my real life in a lot of ways, I never thought a small MMO from Sweden would do that but it did. There are a lot of reasons as to the "why" and these are just a few.

Usually as a chance to relax/dead head. Normally because I want to go exploring.

It's what it costs.

Exploring mainly, taking screenshots, trying to survive without being killed, sneaking past mobs that would kill me with an evil stare, taking the road less travelled, climbing mountains, finding new places and cool looking armour, clothes or items.

Why do I do it?

Calypso is home

But Entropia, was the first real MMO i played, beating Anarchy Online by a few days litterally

same path here. and yes Anarchy Online was really good, all the class were interesting, the "twink/build system" so challenging, and the pvp insanely fun. good memories you bring here !

Back