What to look for in a mentor?

LittleJohn

What should we look for in a mentor?
I know some are great and some worthless how can you tell the difference?

I've had two offers from people that just send me an offer without even talking first. Completely missed one as I was away from the computer. The other I was trying to figure out what little I could about them and it ran out.

Anyway about myself:

Entropia wise I'm a returnee from 7 years ago but hadn't been at it but a little over a month or so till my computer died by the time I could afford another they upped the bandwidth needed and I just couldn't get decent internet. Tried to find Project Entropia and Entropia Pioneers forum and neither exist now. Finally found out they changed the name to Entropia Universe. Couldn't log into my old account so I assume its gone.

On my new account I have been there for about 3 days I think now sweating to build up skills and hopefully a few PED but it obviously doesn't pay like it used to. Will probably keep sweating and exploring a few weeks till I get a feel for the Universe again before I actually put money in.

Goals: Those Calypso land deeds look interesting in a few months I might start trying to buy one or two a month ( a few goals in the real wold first). Being based on an income they obviously have more ties to the real world than Stocks! lol

Personally I had played for about 2 weeks before even trying to find a mentor. I just went into the register and started reading what was wrote. Added them had a chat. Tried to figure out how talkative and interested they were. I think I removed like 10 before finding Narfi Hungry Willan. Personally I hit the jackpot but just find one willing to talk I say :D

On Mentors

I would be suspicious of any mentor spamming for new hires.

You can check their number of graduates (but some people have had "help" with this stat).
You can check their number of stars (but some people have had "help" with this too).

Your best bet in my opinion would be to check forums like this one - not just for suggestions on mentors, or to advertise that you are seeking one, but also to check whether your mentor has actually been around a bit, or is well-regarded by other players.

Also, know what it is you are looking for in a mentor: do you want
- frequent play-together time, or are you independent?
- loads of in-game help, such as TP runs, loot purchasing, armour and weapon loans... or will you take care of yourself?
- do you need someone in your time zone, and on your rough log-in time schedule, etc
- do you want someone to chat with, or is email okay, etc?

Hang in there, you'll find someone, and probably someone good :)

Tehe... depends on each one.. Chemistry is for me.

Before we had "mentor register", you'd look for mentors on forum and, more usually, they'd look for disciple at regular newbie places (like would be Camp Icarus now).

I particularly remember one disciple (hi Biizle ;P) which I met at old East Scylla tp (by old I mean before VU10 which brought the new continent shape/mass etc), wearing nothing than a pixie mask and orange pants, running his soul from a Berycled Provider I think. It was quite odd to see a newbie there since the road from starter place/sweating tp was quite dangerous and unlikely for a newbie to undertake by himself. So I asked him in public chat (only the two of us there) something like "what could you possibly do around here?". So he answered "that is something which you should tell me, I think". And that was it, I knew he's gonna be my disciple. But I do like spirit and smart arses, so :D

Nowadays you don't have to rush into being mentored. Before, we had a skill limit, once that was reached you couldn't become anymore a disciple (so I didn't had a mentor, for hunting on my own like 1 week). But that's changed, you can undertake your discipleship even at level 41 laser pistoleer hit, if so you find appropiate (as I did when the whole mentoring stuff was changed, wanted to be disciple too, was quite fun :D).

So I'd say take your time, socialize, the only important thing is don't rush into spending money, explore, learn stuff etc. And you're bound to meet someone which you'd feel you can learn from.

Have fun :)

As for my timezone I'm originally from the US but living in the Philippines now running an internet cafe (and have 4 small children) so I'm online a lot but often in and out cause I'm busy but late at night I should usually have time for intense activities for a few hours. Our time I'm usually working but online (in and out) 9am -10pm then often game for 2-3 hours. So my best time would be like 9am central US time till noon. Are their many in my timezone (GMT+8)

TP runs are nice but if I get bored I sometimes take off cross country and find my own.

I'm generally independent but its nice to have friends.

Chat or Email is fine by me. Probably a bit of both.

Help is always appreciated but I would feel guilty if they were overly generous.

Age I'll be 45 in a few weeks
Background: mostly farming but also factory work and sales till I became disabled.

I have been called a tightwad a few times (by my mother no less) before. Seldom make impulse purchases that will hurt me at least. So plan to take it slow. I have patience. The first time I was in PE I built up from nothing to 2-3 hundred PED value sweating to my limit then trading stuff, in like 4-6 weeks was just getting started when my computer quit. I had NO income at the time. This time I will probably deposit just not for a week or six.

The idea of actually investing in the place and making money appeals to me wish I had decent internet years ago. Should have hunted it up when I got our business line last year though. Though I don't have much to put in. As I mentioned the Calypso Land Deed thing sounds neat I'll study it a month or three before I make the plunge though unless I get offered some fantastic deal. If you could buy one of those a month for 4 years you could almost have it pay for a new one every month itself. Yes I realize the income can go up or down but I think up is the most likely.

Last edited:
If you right click on the game... and go down to system.. mentor register.. you will find a list of all registered mentors in the game. From there you can search for players that are online at the time, highest rated, highest # of graduated disciples, or by player name.

Gl finding a mentor for the game, and hope you have fun while in game.

SpikE

Do a quick test to see if the person would be willing to mentor you without rewards :cool:
Maybe ask if you could test him for a few days. Add as friend, ask a few questions (to which you know the answers).

If you are satisfied after the potential mentors trial period, then let him add you.
Also check his mentor stats.

At the start of "Project Entropia" newbs spawned in some bushes NE of Port Atlantis.
And very often some vet was there to greet you and help you out.
Without any promises of gifts and such.
Just out of interest to help someone survive as a newcomer.

Thats the spirit I would look for in a mentor :wise:

Back