Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fanan

Stalker
Fanan Head Shot
I'm close to buy a new desktop computer, preferably by the end of the year. So I wanted to know what GPU is mostly used nowadays. My last 2 gfx cards were ATI (Asus brand) and I can't say that I was unsatisfied with them.

Gigabyte Nvidia 770 GTX, it runs Battlefield 4 on Ultra settings so should be ok for low on EU :)

I just want to say Fuck Asus.

I have an Asus G75VW, and I fucking hate it.

When it came to me brand new, the gfx card NVidia was already burned up, right out the box. Customer support sucked.

Finally got that shit sorted

Later the fucking power adapter took a shit. Still waiting to get it back from Asus.

FUCK ASUS, FUCK THEM HARD, IN THE ASS.

NVidia CHIPS I like though.

When it came to me brand new, the gfx card NVidia was already burned up, right out the box. Customer support sucked.

Later the fucking power adapter took a shit. Still waiting to get it back from Asus.

I suppose it's a laptop right? Laptop as game computer no thank you. For some reason my desktop is around 10 years old and still working, would never achieve that on a laptop. To not talk when you want to upgrade anything inside.

About Asus brand, all I had so far was motherboards and gfx cards and I can not complain at all.

Yes, its a laptop. not by choice my HP desktop is packed away and shipped far off from me for now its bout 4 years old but beats the pants off this GAMING LAPTOP.

I love ASUS stuff. I have an asus republic of gamers motherboard and it kicks ass. My brother has an Asus ROG laptop and that thing is fantastic too. Overall, I am very pleased with them :) To each their own I guess

I have an ASUS Laptop with Intel GFX 4000 on it or something like that. It works pretty good. It can run EU on high surprisingly.

nvidia geforce gtx 660 ti and runs eu pretty well on low settings..

I'm running a GTX 560 Ti, it's getting a bit old now i suppose but i can't complain, it still works very well :).

Best regards
Zweshi

Nvidia GTX 680 4 GB kix azz:)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M w/ 1GB GDDR5 on an Alienware 14

Ati 7850 2gb.

Can play full hd with anti aliasing etc.

VGA ATI Sapphire HD7950 BOOST, 3GB DDR5

can run on max settings no problem :)

In terms of pure performance was wondering which one is the best on the market. Is it:

* Nvidia GTX 780 Ti
* Radeon R9 290X
* Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan
* Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan Black Edition This doesn't actually exist as far as we know just a speculation...

ASUS R9 280X - DC2 - 3GD5 here, works great so far (had it 3 weeks or so now)

Every setting maxed in this video incl 8x AA (FX-8350 CPU, 16gb RAM other then the GPU)
watch in 720p

Last edited:
670 GTX works fine :)

Right choice in getting a desktop computer for gaming, every now and then I see people asking for ideas and tips when they are about to go buy a "Gaming laptop" :confused::confused::confused::confused:

There is no such thing as a gaming laptop!! Ofcouse if you go to the laptop manufacturer and asks for a gaming laptop they will give you one they call a gaming laptop.... I would never call it a gaming laptop... It might be a extremely powerful laptop with good GPU, CPU, RAM etc but it will never, ever last as long, or perform as good, as a desktop computer for the exact same price... There are laptops that you can game on, but eventually they WILL burn due to how compact all the parts are and the cooling paste drying up as heat gets extreme in them (I loved watching my friends "gaming laptop" melt his keyboard =) ) ... especially for a well coded game like Entropia :)

I'm using a AMD GPU, in my current and my previous computer. Somehow my nVidia cards tend to burn out after a year or two, however AMD have never, EVER crashed or burned out for me. I'm using a chassi with very good airflow, both on my old nVidia which burned out anyway and on my current AMD

In terms of pure performance was wondering which one is the best on the market. Is it:

* Nvidia GTX 780 Ti
* Radeon R9 290X
* Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan
* Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan Black Edition This doesn't actually exist as far as we know just a speculation...

i think im correct in saying the 780 Ti, but considering the fact that most games are now cross platform and often developed with consoles in mind i would say that for most people these cards are overkill, they are generally noisy and in some cases run very hot. you might need one if you are running at very high resolutions and/or multiple monitors but i cant think of many other cases where this makes sense for the "average" gamer, and especially if you only play entropia, which uses quite a old engine. i know people used to buy the high end cards with the idea that it is more future proof, but i think you can do better in the €250-300 price range and just upgrade your card more frequently to take advantage of the fact that new graphics cards with new capabilities hit the market at quite a insane rate. in the €250-300 price range you can find cards that allow you to game at decent FPS in modern games at the pretty standard 1080P resolution.

Geforce GTX 760 Directcut II OC running on max settings ;):yay:

I'm running a GTX 560 Ti, it's getting a bit old now i suppose but i can't complain, it still works very well :).

Best regards
Zweshi

Same here. It's a few years old but so far it has run everything I threw at it just fine on full HD resolution. Albeit with reduced quality settings.

Running Entropia at approximately medium settings.

GeForce 8800 GT 1 GB Ram with passive Cooling, runs Entropia nice at Medium settings and most important: no noise

Thank you all for the feedback so far!

Don't know why but I'm a bit more inclined to the ATI GPU's, however I was reading some articles where ppl say that the new Radeon R9 series (probably the weakest ones from the serie) tend to become very hot and then making a lot of noise too.

My budget for the gfx card is between 250-300 EUR (must be Asus)

From my point of view:

ATI GPU:

+ New Rx series is prepared for Mantle API wich apparently Valve will use in a future.
+ Possibility of acquiring a cheaper card with 384-bit memory interface and 3GB DDR5.
- Goes very hot and noisy

NVIDIA GPU:

+ A lot more ppl use Nvidia cards actually.
- All the 384-bit memory interface and 3GB DDR5 cards from NVIDIA exceeds my budget of 300 EUR. (almost 500EUR for the Asus GTX780)

Options that I have in mind:

ATI:
Asus HD7950 3GB DirectCU II TOP (260 EUR)
Asus R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II (310 EUR)
Asus R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II TOP (313 EUR)

NVIDIA:
Asus GTX760 2GB DirectCU II OC (246 EUR)
Asus GTX760 2GB DirectCU II Top (280 EUR)
Asus GTX770 2GB DirectCU II OC (330 EUR)

ATI GPU:

+ New Rx series is prepared for Mantle API wich apparently Valve will use in a future.
+ Possibility of acquiring a cheaper card with 384-bit memory interface and 3GB DDR5.
- Goes very hot and noisy

Options that I have in mind:

ATI:

Asus R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II (310 EUR)
Asus R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II TOP (313 EUR)
The bolded card is what I have just because the TOP card was impossible to get a hold of or get any delivery date on.

But that it runs hot and noisy, can't really agree on that unless 62-68C is "hot", I tested it for over two weeks playing EU on full settings 1080p never over 68C, played BF4 all on ultra never over 68C either and mostly around ~62C during BF4 or EU, noise I don't even notice but maybe because my old pc was a TRUE jetplane and that I have a Fractal Design R4 case now. (sitting right next to me on the desk, backside at ear level 1m to the side)

The hot and noisy I think refers to the R9 290X not the 280X cards that's basically re-branded 7970 or what they were/are called.
At the video I posted earlier the temps never exceeded 66C during 2+ hours at that event.

Edit: 2½ hours online now and sitting at 63C right now with 33%(1082rpm) fan speed

The bolded card is what I have just because the TOP card was impossible to get a hold of or get any delivery date on.

But that it runs hot and noisy, can't really agree on that unless 62-68C is "hot", I tested it for over two weeks playing EU on full settings 1080p never over 68C, played BF4 all on ultra never over 68C either and mostly around ~62C during BF4 or EU, noise I don't even notice but maybe because my old pc was a TRUE jetplane and that I have a Fractal Design R4 case now. (sitting right next to me on the desk, backside at ear level 1m to the side)

The hot and noisy I think refers to the R9 290X not the 280X cards that's basically re-branded 7970 or what they were/are called.
At the video I posted earlier the temps never exceeded 66C during 2+ hours at that event.

Edit: 2½ hours online now and sitting at 63C right now with 33%(1082rpm) fan speed

Interesting, thank you Jenny!

The article was about the R9 270X specifically from the Alienware facebook page. It's infact not even on the list of options that I posted since it's a weak model.

I see that you live on Sweden. At this moment here is Portugal is near 5ºC outside but in summer when temp. raises to 30ºC + and houses are extremelly hot I bet that those gfx card temp. will also increase.

I see that you live on Sweden. At this moment here is Portugal is near 5ºC outside but in summer when temp. raises to 30ºC + and houses are extremelly hot I bet that those gfx card temp. will also increase.
I bet my apartment is similar to your climate...
cold as hell now during winter, and like a sauna in the summer which was why I searched for the best cooler (without the need to replace it on my own) and the DC2 cooler was the one everyone on several forums recommended.

But as you will be very interesting how it performs when the summertime is here... (often ~30C in this place during sunny summer days)

[h=3]This poll will close on 12-11-2013 at 14:33[/h]
Have you voted already?

Back