Question: Where did my custom title go?

Wed

Elite
Society
GΌĐş Ό₣ ŴαЯ™
Wedlylaw Wed Beetherbell
I bought a custum title for CFD awhile back. Now I just noticed that it is gone :eyecrazy:
And no refund have been recived either :eek:

Custom User Title
Create a custom user title.
Item Cost: 5,000 CFD
You Last Purchased at: 08:50 10-25-2010
Total Purchases: 47

I had the same problem several months ago, 711 manually refunded the 5000 CFD, and I didnt try to create a new customised title since.

lol same problem here ...

and i though i am just to stupid to find it :smoke:

Been there, done that. The title resets every time you edit your profile.

Bump for my 5k CFD! :eyecrazy:

Been there, done that. The title resets every time you edit your profile.

When you have already spotted what is causing this, why don't you PM 711 and ask him to fix it?
(and include a link to this thread, or better yet, the quote above)

A bug that can be reproduced is way easier to fix.

When you have already spotted what is causing this, why don't you PM 711 and ask him to fix it?
He knows about it and refunds the EFDs for those who aren't too lazy to ask, but fixing the bug is probably out of priority (surprise). It's really not the first thread about it.

He knows about it and refunds the EFDs for those who aren't too lazy to ask, but fixing the bug is probably out of priority (surprise). It's really not the first thread about it.

You missed the point - reporting it is one thing, being able to provoke the bug is another.

If it is really the case that it vanishes when you edit the profile, it should be possible to fix that bug in 3 minutes
(as opposed to "spend hours on tracking down the bug and then spend 3 minutes on fixing it)

So, did anyone already report this bug including the bit i've quoted above?

You missed the point - reporting it is one thing, being able to provoke the bug is another.

If it is really the case that it vanishes when you edit the profile, it should be possible to fix that bug in 3 minutes
(as opposed to "spend hours on tracking down the bug and then spend 3 minutes on fixing it)

So, did anyone already report this bug including the bit i've quoted above?

I personally know of 3 people who have reported this bug. Also, there has been threads on it in the past. It is a well documented bug indeed.

Wiz, I perfectly understand you. Yes, it has been reported that editing your profile is what causes the bug. It's the only reason I bothered to reply to your question. Always got to be a complete ***? Just because I did not directly address that point does not mean I was not answering your question as quoted. Thanks.

Let's hope its fixed soon. If its important to the forum owners, it will be. :)

Everyone stay calm plz

odd bug (partly posting to see if my custom title is still there)

Nothing in your posts hints that you have understood what i was trying to point out, absolutely nothing.
Ofc now that i've explained it yet again you act like "duh, ofc i knew what you meant"... :rolleyes:

Always got to be a complete ***?

That's just sad, i knew it was a mistake to take you off ignore... corrected right away.

Nothing in your posts hints that you have understood what i was trying to point out, absolutely nothing.
Ofc now that i've explained it yet again you act like "duh, ofc i knew what you meant"... :rolleyes:

That's just sad, i knew it was a mistake to take you off ignore... corrected right away.

Oh boy, I am on the ignore list of the guy whose signature is "signed god". Your ego precedes you. Really, I have never seen a post by you that was not in some way you trying to prove how your intelligence is somehow greater than those around you.

Get over yourself.

Hell, even use search, smart guy. This is not even the first thread where people have said they have reported the fact that editing their profile destroyed their personal signature.

Then, after being only the second person to ever negative rep me (twice for you), take the opportunity to read my other posts that are rarely aimed at anyone, nor negative. Hmmm, must be something about you.

But hey, whatever, come in to yet another thread and throw it off track rather than adding to it. It's very useful. I am in awe of your abilities.

Indeed this issue has been reported a few times, and I have yet been able to pin down the actual cause unfortunately.

It may be necessary to disable the custom title feature until a permanent fix is made by the authors of the CFD shop addon, I'm afraid.

Anyone who has purchased a custom title and who was affected by this bug should contact me via PM for a CFD refund.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Oh boy, I am on the ignore list of the guy whose signature is "signed god".

Rofl, my signature is a quote from Simpsons - your interpretation couldn't be more off.

Hmmm, must be something about you.

Or about you - why are you so negative? I'm trying to help fixing the issue, but your "feelings" for me must've blindfolded you...

But hey, whatever, come in to yet another thread and throw it off track rather than adding to it. It's very useful. I am in awe of your abilities.

Throw it off track? Have you problems understanding my posts? Want me to rephrase them for you?
Actually, at the moment it's you trying to derail this thread - i am perfectly on topic.

Indeed this issue has been reported a few times, and I have yet been able to pin down the actual cause unfortunately.

It may be necessary to disable the custom title feature until a permanent fix is made by the authors of the CFD shop addon, I'm afraid.

Anyone who has purchased a custom title and who was affected by this bug should contact me via PM for a CFD refund.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Obviously, the query updating the user profile overwrites (resets) the custom user title.

All you have to do is to remove the user_title = 'xyz' part from the UPDATE user query in the script /forums/profile.php (look for a == 'editprofile').

Refunds have been issued to those who contacted me via priv. message.

The custom user title CFD Shop item has been temporarily removed until the cause of the bug can be identified and corrected.

Obviously, the query updating the user profile overwrites (resets) the custom user title.

All you have to do is to remove the user_title = 'xyz' part from the UPDATE user query in the script /forums/profile.php (look for a == 'editprofile').

I am aware that the issue could be sidestepped by editing the hard-coded database query contained in the base forum script. However, forum modifications should be able to do their job without requiring manual edits to the base scripts. When I said that I was searching for the cause of the bug, I was referring to the CFD Shop addon, which should include some type of override which prevents the titles from being overwritten (but apparently does not).

It's a very bad idea to begin manually editing the base forum scripts. vBulletin (and especially version 4.x) is very developer-friendly and offers a robust hook/plugin system for third-party developers to extend the standard forum functionality. A well-coded forum addon/hack should never require modifications to the base forum scripts, but should rather make use of the hook/plugin system to perform its functions.

The problem with manually editing the base forum scripts is that all such edits will get destroyed each time the base forum software (vBulletin) is updated, and will need to be redone. And since the latest versions of the forum scripts can sometimes change structure, variables and such, it can render the desired edits impossible or very difficult to re-implement. This is what happened with the Dev Posts feature: the vBulletin internal search was completely recoded for version 4.x, and the old manual edit that I used in the past to create the MindArk Posts functionality was made completely obsolete.

For a heavily customized forum like PCF (which uses upwards of two dozen third-party forum addons and modifications), manually editing the base forum scripts results in the upgrade process quickly becoming a total nightmare (or rather, even more of a nightmare than it already is ever since 4.x.x came along... :silly2:).

Back on topic: Of course in this case, it seems the 3rd-party addon that is used for the CFD Shop has a bug which is allowing the purchased custom titles to be overwritten inadvertently. As such, purchasing custom titles in the CFD Shop has been suspended while I investigate a proper solution to this issue.

Yes, ofc my suggestion was a "quick'n'dirty" fix, but as a forum customer, my focus is on preserving functionality...

My point was:
It's easy to fix, when it is obviously a bug, why not fix it?
Waiting for the developers of the plugin to fix this may take ages...

Keep a copy of the original code (maybe in a quote), if the next update overwrites your changes, it may already overwrite the code with a bug-free update.

The advice "do not tamper with the core code" only applies when you're not 100% sure what side-effects your changes may have...

Thanks for the refund 711 :wtg:

Back