Why all this whining

falkao

Stalker
Society
Freelancer
Marc falkao Falk
From time to time there are avalanches of whining threads or mostly emotional or negative comments on different issues. This phenomenon is not only observed within EU-community but seems to be generally valid as outlined in two recent studies:

1. Quantitative Analysis of Bloggers Collective Behavior Powered by Emotions
2. Negative emotions boost users activity at BBC Forum

Basically they say, that whining threads do get the most attention as well as emotional posts. Informative ones don’t get this sort of attention.

Citation from Quantitative Analysis of Bloggers: “Applied over different time periods, this framework reveals strong correlations between the excess of negative emotions and the evolution of communities. We observe avalanches of emotional comments exhibiting significant self-organized critical behavior and temporal correlations.“

Should I conclude from this, that whining threads are only created for the simple purpose of getting attention, the person otherwise wouldn’t get?

They have nothing else to contribute to the world. It let's them know they are still alive.

(in other words... yes -=^_^=- meow)

indeed, and seems to be infectious as well.

and I bet someone is going to take offence from you/me posting this even tho no names have been mentioned :laugh:

and I bet someone is going to take offence from you/me posting this even tho no names have been mentioned :laugh:

I don't think so. This thread will not get that much attention as already explained in this thread ;)

oh yes it will eventually because it got the word whining in its title you know.... :wise:

so i herd sum1 was whineing about all tha whineng in hear

...isn't there a Bludlemon cartoon somewhere that sums this topic up? The one with the party of adventurers questing in the Barrens, who are surprised by (and later slay) a rare subspecies of Forum Troll? I lost the link to it tho.

Last edited:
In late 2005 or early 2006 I posted the definitive anti-whining comment.

However, it has proved useless.

I feel like the DEA.

Hurrikane

If it is true that every forum will suffer from whining, then there should be the possibility to flag those threads. Atm, FPC’s search is not functioning very well. If you search for something, say “Medusa”, what one gets first are whining threads and maybe some informational thread as well.

Btw, what's DEA Hurrikane?

... flagged use Google thread.

Science Fiction

Ahem! Then let us take a positive view at Science-fiction and break the whining with laughter:laugh:

:lolup:

So... MA is trying to win wimbledon?

There's been a few controversies to set things off recently (and an apparent general feeling of bad loot, especially during the Harbinger event), but the whining does tend to take a life of its own once it gets going.

Some level of criticism is needed, although arguably a lot of the whining isn't particularly constructive.

Ultimately though, the fact there are whine threads hundreds of posts long is in some ways a good sign. When there's no-one left whining the sky truely has fallen :D

Last edited:
whining about whining?

good one.

whining about whining?

good one.

heeey.... did you just try whining about him whining about whining? :scratch2:

and did I just whine about you whining about him whining about whining? :eyecrazy:

heeey.... did you just try whining about him whining about whining? :scratch2:

and did I just whine about you whining about him whining about whining? :eyecrazy:

that would make this the ultimate whine thread...

anyone have some cheese?

that would make this the ultimate whine thread...

anyone have some cheese?

it would be quite easy to turn it into one. Nevertheless, it seems to be inherently, that when being part of a community one has to face whining and as Jimmy mentioned, this could be a healthy sign.

*LeSigh* whining threads inevitably get so cheesy. I'm switching to Port To Linux threads.

What he said!! :yay: Wait... Where am I?? :scratch2:

Back