Question: Why isn't Calypso being developed?

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
Why isn't Calypso being developed?

I'm talking about the features that are part of Calypso and whose lack of development cannot be blamed on MA. So FPC can't pass the buck on with these. These include:
- Missing creatures (e.g. kerberos)
- Non-development of towns/cities
- Special landscape features/areas e.g. Thorifoid temple
- Lack of Calypso storyline development

Historically Calypso took a back seat and MA concentrated on behind the scenes platform development (as planet partners was in their initial ideas all along just we didn't know about calypso being a "test-bed"). So now when FPC and MA split many of us thought ok we may actually see something developing now that we'll have some staff fully devoted to the development of Calypso. If I remember correctly Marco even said some words to that effect at one time.

Seems to me Calypso has taken a back seat again as the staff are busy developing upcoming planets for SEE e.g. planet michael. Don't get me wrong this is good for planet michael but what about Calypso? When will we ever see Calypso moving forward? Is Calypso forever doomed to take a back seat to other developments?

turning the fire up on the pot a bit i see mr skywalker..

your asking the right questions. you won't get the real answer here but maybe someone will chime in with the "coming soon" or "marco said this and that etc"

kosmos

We will not see any statement on your questions. Or we will get a bla bla statement that we can't trust. We got some nice features during 2010, but the major promises were all not met, and as always, no-one gives a s**t about it.

They spent all their resources making Medusa. Now for the real tedium.

Lack of Calypso Storyline development:
We're adding quests in nearly every update we have, we have well over 100 quests right now that we have implemented since we released the first batch of missions in ...February? March? 2010. I believe about a third of these are storyline-driven.
We recently had the Harbinger event quite recently where we met Shelly Nakajima and dug up the Typhon. We are constantly developing the storyline, and will continue doing so.

Missing creatures (e.g. kerberos)
The Kerberos needs a redesign before we'll consider letting it back out. Right now its sharing its look with the Osseocculum, which is no good. The other missing mobs will also be reviewed and potentially re-implemented.

Special landscape features/areas e.g. Thorifoid temple
Fort Troy and the Cyclops, the Calypso Gateway, Port Atlantis and Swamp Camp remake, the Hadesheim Crater and Medusa's Head were all landscape features we've done last year. These are no small projects.
We're planning on remaking everything server by server but this takes time. We're not likely going to create a single landscape feature and just put it out in the world without any use, unless we are remaking the whole server or it is in addition for a quest. Im pretty sure the "- Non-development of towns/cities" suits under this answer as well unless you're looking to us releasing more apartments and player owned areas?
The simple answer is; we're working our way through it, but it takes time. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is Calypso.

Bear in mind we're a 14 man team in total at FPC, and that number includes those of us who don't design either.

Last edited:
Fort Troy and the Cyclops, the Calypso Gateway, Port Atlantis and Swamp Camp remake, the Hadesheim Crater and Medusa's Head were all landscape features we've done last year. These are no small projects.
We're planning on remaking everything server by server but this takes time. We're not likely going to create a single landscape feature and just put it out in the world without any use, unless we are remaking the whole server or it is in addition for a quest. Im pretty sure the "- Non-development of towns/cities" suits under this answer as well unless you're looking to us releasing more apartments and player owned areas?
The simple answer is; we're working our way through it, but it takes time. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is Calypso.

Bear in mind we're a 14 man team in total at FPC, and that number includes those of us who don't design either.

Could we get a list of plans / roadmap? Surely there are parts you can reveal?

You must be loaded:eyecrazy:.
Would think that with all the cash income FPC could afford to hire more staff but guess Marco needs his vacation in earth orbit or something.

Damn, must be easy for everyone to get to know the others then :eyecrazy:

Yeah, it would be nice with at least "Right now we are working on..." :) so we know what might come next

OMG

please dont get me started, it is always about calypso, there is other planets now too and MA dont own any of them anymore, so MA now need to develope Rocktropia and Next Island as well it is unfair that Rocktropia is getting forgotten, so this thread actually angered me because it is NOT about calypso anymore

RJ Rob

OMG

please dont get me started, it is always about calypso, there is other planets now too and MA dont own any of them anymore, so MA now need to develope Rocktropia and Next Island as well it is unfair that Rocktropia is getting forgotten, so this thread actually angered me because it is NOT about calypso anymore

RJ Rob

Did you even read the OP? He clearly stated that he asked about the things FPC develop, and they sure aint developing RT and NI :laugh:

You must be loaded:eyecrazy:.
Would think that with all the cash income FPC could afford to hire more staff but guess Marco needs his vacation in earth orbit or something.

And how do you know FPC gets so much money? :scratch2: bear in mind, MA was at a negative for the last financial update...

OMG

RJ Rob
I thought there was thing thing called Neverdie Studios???.... It's role is the same as FPCs. Perhaps you should be complaining to someone else who up until recently was probably spending more time "participating" as an avatar then as a developer, and is now probably spending more time worrying about how much to sell off that avatar's stuff and how they are going to sell off that avatar's inventory instead of worrying about the things they should be worrying about more as a planet partner...

Right now we're doing some small fixes that needs to be done. For example one of our guys are currently looking at what animations needs a retouching. As for server areas right at this moment we don't have a large project going, but we'll get back to you with more information about our plans a little later on such is clarified.

Oh, and Achivements -we're working on Achivements too. :)

Damn, must be easy for everyone to get to know the others then :eyecrazy:

Hehe! Me, I am stuffed away in a corner with my "jentelus" (girl germs..?) while most of the guys are pretty ...cosy... in their room. ;) I should snap a picture of it some day and put it on my blog, but I haven't gotten around to it. :)

most of the guys are pretty ...cosy... in their room. ;)

That just sounds soooo wrong :laugh:

Actually, Hanne, I think you guys should talk about this. I think that one of THE most important things is to bring back landmarks and unique features, even if they are totally useless (desert tower, skeleton with sign, signs with graffiti, being able to enter the small room at Twin Peaks mine...) since that brings with it such an atmosphere and feeling without even being so much work for you!

Also, the old battlefields could start resurfacing again, with crashed ships and robot 'corpses' and stuff

EDIT: BTW the term you are looking for when talking about girl germs is 'cooties' :)

Suggestion: Mass Animation

Take a look at what they did with DC Universe, and other projects... They developed a mmorpg with the help of many, many, many talented individuals utilizing the power of social networking using facebook, etc. You folks already have a presence on Facebook, now go the extra steps and use that to recruit some help. Some might even be willing to help for free, at least initially!!!

If you don't use them, perhaps you could do something similar. Your create a creature contest was neat... but that was only the very tip of the iceberg of what is possible.

Another suggestion: Interns

Another Suggestion: Ramp up the team with temporary help. I read CGW and several other industry mags, and just about every computer game development company out there increases there size by a massive amount at "crunch time" til things get stable. Right now, with taming being gone this long, etc. something like that appears to be necessary.

Last edited:
If you don't use them, perhaps you could do something similar. Your create a creature contest was neat... but that was only the very tip of the iceberg of what is possible.

They totally should at least hold more design contests, maybe for towns and buildings :D Marco did say we were gonna get more of that :(

Hehe! Me, I am stuffed away in a corner with my "jentelus" (girl germs..?) while most of the guys are pretty ...cosy... in their room. ;) I should snap a picture of it some day and put it on my blog, but I haven't gotten around to it. :)

hanne.jpg

Dont you get bored? ;)

Firstly thanks for your reply Hanne. Very much appreciated <insert cookie smiley here>

Lack of Calypso Storyline development:
We're adding quests in nearly every update we have, we have well over 100 quests right now that we have implemented since we released the first batch of missions in ...February? March? 2010. I believe about a third of these are storyline-driven.
We recently had the Harbinger event quite recently where we met Shelly Nakajima and dug up the Typhon. We are constantly developing the storyline, and will continue doing so.

I knew you'd mention those. I was thinking more in terms of the big grand picture like attacking Akbal-Cimi :)
So I guess credit to you for those missions you have developed. The preacher/hermit or whatever he's called is my fav one. Hope that's continued soon...

Missing creatures (e.g. kerberos)
The Kerberos needs a redesign before we'll consider letting it back out. Right now its sharing its look with the Osseocculum, which is no good. The other missing mobs will also be reviewed and potentially re-implemented.
Like others have mentioned a roadmap or something about what's being worked on at moment surely can't do any harm.

Nah not looking for new aprtments or landarea releases.

I was more thinking about the character of different towns we used to have e.g. Minopolis. These were lost with vu10 and not much has happened since with regard to their reinvention. Port Atlantis did have a makeover so credit to you for that. Just wondering where we are with the other towns/cities? Are they on the radar for a makeover?

I suppose we won't see the thorifoid temple back until we have "dungeons" implemented but there is a distinct lack of character in the landscape. Prior to vu10 we had remnants of old wars and bits and bats lying around the landscape which we knew nothing about. They were mysterious but at least something there to look at. People need these bits and bats and I think FPC could do more in bringing us something in that regard otherwise the other planets which will soon start sprouting up will look very tempting...

They totally should at least hold more design contests, maybe for towns and buildings :D Marco did say we were gonna get more of that :(

I brought that up in another thread and as Hanne stated that will mostly only help with the concept part of development.

Dont you get bored? ;)

Neh, I have you guys :)

Firstly thanks for your reply Hanne. Very much appreciated <insert cookie smiley here>

<Noms> :) (we really do need a cookie smiley...)

Well like mentioned there's still a long way to go, but we're taking one step at the time. Minopolis is certainly one of the cities I personally hold in high regard and want to see retrieved back to former glory. And I agree with what Nighthawk said about the traces of the Robot war. But that the "bits and bats" that you miss aren't there yet doesn't mean Calypso isn't being developed; there's a rather distinct difference.

ok sorry i miss read the thread, but i still stand by what i said, and stuff, i think everyone understood my point though

Right now we're doing some small fixes that needs to be done. For example one of our guys are currently looking at what animations needs a retouching. As for server areas right at this moment we don't have a large project going, but we'll get back to you with more information about our plans a little later on such is clarified.

Oh, and Achivements -we're working on Achivements too. :)

Start a competition for Kerberos. State what format you need for the files.
Give s shoping booth as prize or a bigger estate or something else with low TT but high markup.
Let the community vote for best design.
Only claim ownership of the winning Kerberos.

@Hanne:
I think, we all understand that a redesign of a whole server cannot be done in 2 days. On the other hand, still nothing happens in this game at all for weeks or months. You have a great platform now, why don't you use it to make a constant stream of stuff for players?

I hope, I don't sound too negative, but "new mission" is nothing special. The missions are all nothing more than "kill xxx" or "visit these locations". A real mission in a real role play game would mean, you can do different things to accomplish the goal. I hope, FPC doesn't think, the missions we have are "cool" or "great".

To place a dummy avatar somewhere that does not move and can "say" only one or three sentences... this is nothing to be proud of.

It's not ok to call around "we have a story" but nothing happens in the day to day life of a calypsian avatar. A story in a game is something I "feel" around me all the time, and it's best if it's evovling, even when I am on vacation.

In EU I can leave for months, come back and nothing about the history/story has changed at all.

As I stated so often: EU has a huge potential to be a great game, especially with all the new things from 2010, but FPC still fails so hard to communicate with the players plus fails so hard to establish something like a red story line through our day to day playing time.

I really would like to know if FPC even discusses this at all, but I doubt, you can tell us why nothing happens.

Start a competition for Kerberos. State what format you need for the files.
Give s shoping booth as prize or a bigger estate or something else with low TT but high markup.
Let the community vote for best design.
Only claim ownership of the winning Kerberos.

Hanne answered a similar question to that in another thread. <Goes away to dig up quote> tada and here it is:

We've thought about it. Its not impossible that we do create some design contest in the same manner that we did with the Proteron mob in the future (but Im not promising anything!)
But even if we do, it's still a lot of work to be done; Deciding on what concept to use, Designing it (or redesigning it for optimization), balancing it, getting the programmers to create the handling for the vehicle, testing and so on. While it saves a little on concepting, it isn't that much of a shortcut. So if we do make such a contest it would be because we'd want to create a cool contest and give the winner-vehicle the time it deserves, not as a way to save time. :)

@Hanne:
I think, we all understand that a redesign of a whole server cannot be done in 2 days. On the other hand, still nothing happens in this game at all for weeks or months. You have a great platform now, why don't you use it to make a constant stream of stuff for players?

I hope, I don't sound too negative, but "new mission" is nothing special. The missions are all nothing more than "kill xxx" or "visit these locations". A real mission in a real role play game would mean, you can do different things to accomplish the goal. I hope, FPC doesn't think, the missions we have are "cool" or "great".

To place a dummy avatar somewhere that does not move and can "say" only one or three sentences... this is nothing to be proud of.

It's not ok to call around "we have a story" but nothing happens in the day to day life of a calypsian avatar. A story in a game is something I "feel" around me all the time, and it's best if it's evovling, even when I am on vacation.

In EU I can leave for months, come back and nothing about the history/story has changed at all.

As I stated so often: EU has a huge potential to be a great game, especially with all the new things from 2010, but FPC still fails so hard to communicate with the players plus fails so hard to establish something like a red story line through our day to day playing time.

I really would like to know if FPC even discusses this at all, but I doubt, you can tell us why nothing happens.

Some great points there.

I think the problem is FPC and we are on different wavelengths. To us nothing happens. To FPC they think are doing great :) It's all a matter of perspective but I guess this is where communication helps. Perhaps now both sides can see the mismatch...

Reminds me of this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnW8dmJ0Fl4

Smoerble: I think you are seriously underestimating the resources and time it takes to create content to a game.

I am not meaning to sound defensive on this, please don't perceive it as such as the reason I involve myself here is because its an interesting discussion; let me for a moment speak as a gamer with an opinion and not your Community Manager. :)

Having been an avid gamer myself for years, in many different MMO's included, I can mention very few games that actually have such an every-changing story that you describe where leaving for 1 month will have drastically changed the storyline, and that during your presence in the game you'll always feel like something about to happen.

Typically, the storyline-events in large MMO's are "seasonal events", and usually if you don't take part you don't notice any difference when you get back. Now, wait a year and its usually some change, or maybe you even have to wait 2-3 years. In the traditional MMO styles you'd have to wait for a full expansion to be released to see any storyline-development.

Of course the ever-changing feeling is the holy grail for MMO's, it is what we want! Both players and developers want this, it would be exciting to play and it would be exciting to develop! But its also very resource-demanding to create such content.

'Cooties' is the word you are looking for :D if you mean the things that keep little boys / girls from being close to each other or even talking. Don't look too much as to where the word comes from.

Back