Widescreen monitors

Airedale

Veneratio Supremus Totus
Society
Freelancer
Studley Airedale
I'm considering buying a wide screen monitor for my computer. If I do, does Entropia Universe use the entire display area or does it still show at the same aspect ratio and not use part of the screen?

my laptop is a 16:9 and it has a nice aspect to it....plays great.

good luck on your purchase.

ps, in case your curious, i run a dell inspiron 9300, so you can see the type of flat screen i have

and yes it expands to show more on the screen.....not like a normal broadcast on a hd tv with the black edges....looks great.

Last edited:
I'm using widescreen also (1920x1200), works great, particularly after the update with settings for widescreen in the clientloader, before that it was very stretched but now looks good.

MindBuster said:
I'm using widescreen also (1920x1200), works great, particularly after the update with settings for widescreen in the clientloader, before that it was very stretched but now looks good.

Uhm, have i missed something very recently?

Afaik, no you can't run EU in 1920x1200. In fact the widescreen options in the clientloader (16:10 is the most common for widescreen monitors) are only fake widescreen. The game still runs at 1024x768, but the 3d graphics are ws, so if you stretch it on a ws monitor you'll get correct aspect ratio. However NOT in the gui which will appear stretched.

Thank you for the prompt replies. I just ordered a 22" wide screen. Soon I'll be able to see chirpies from 100m. :D

Airedale said:
Thank you for the prompt replies. I just ordered a 22" wide screen. Soon I'll be able to see chirpies from 100m. :D

which one did you order? :)

geten said:
Uhm, have i missed something very recently?

Afaik, no you can't run EU in 1920x1200. In fact the widescreen options in the clientloader (16:10 is the most common for widescreen monitors) are only fake widescreen. The game still runs at 1024x768, but the 3d graphics are ws, so if you stretch it on a ws monitor you'll get correct aspect ratio. However NOT in the gui which will appear stretched.

The res i mentioned is my monitors native res, i have the setting at 16:10 in clientloader, sure it's not true WS, but the new "widescreen" option in clientloader made it much better than before.

MindBuster said:
The res i mentioned is my monitors native res, i have the setting at 16:10 in clientloader, sure it's not true WS, but the new "widescreen" option in clientloader made it much better than before.
Ah, yeah :)

But i would LOVE to play EU with a scalable gui at 1920x1200, but it won't happen anytime soon (if at all) :tapfinger

Running 2304x1440 native myself ;)

MindBuster said:

what screen u got?

Airedale said:

You'll enjoy that... although the first day, if you're anything like me, it will take getting used to- you'll find yourself looking like a spectator at a tennis match- glance to the right, then quickly to the left, then right... then left! Right! Left! OMG So much screen!!! :D

But yes, a big monitor makes a nice difference in EU imo.

Legion said:
which one did you order? :)

Acer AL2216WBD / 22" / Ultra-fast 5ms / WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 / DVI · VGA / Black / Widescreen LCD Monitor

Airedale said:
Acer AL2216WBD / 22" / Ultra-fast 5ms / WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 / DVI · VGA / Black / Widescreen LCD Monitor

sounds like something i want.. need to check on it :D

Svetlana said:
You'll enjoy that... although the first day, if you're anything like me, it will take getting used to- you'll find yourself looking like a spectator at a tennis match- glance to the right, then quickly to the left, then right... then left! Right! Left! OMG So much screen!!! :D

But yes, a big monitor makes a nice difference in EU imo.

It makes it look like you are in real 3d enviroment.... I use my 32" TV in 1366x768
resolution and I AM HAPPY :laugh:

Just installed my new Viewsonic VX2025wm today, which is the top rated 20" widescreen LCD at Tomshardware.com, and EU looks s t r e t c h e d and crappy... On HL2, Far Cry, and Eve my new monitor looks phenomenal - here it looks bad...

I've changed the aspect ratio on the client loader to 16:10, 16:9 and a few others but have had no luck. Is this what I should expect or is there a setting I am missing? Card is a 7600GT, 2GB of fast RAM, dual core CPU, blah blah - it ain't my hardware... :confused:

I'm using the 15:9 ratio. That seems to be the best on my widescreen.

One warning for those new to LCDs. The bigger the monitor, the more card u need to run in its native resolution. It really depends on what you want to use the display for. I use mine for software development, games, and for my hobby, photography prepress work. That means I needed a clear display, with accurate color reproduction. that refreshes fast. LCDs still have refreshing issues, but I personally can overlook them after losing myself.

I run my Dell 20.1inch using an ati 1900xt modded to a 1900xtx. Not needed for this game, but it comes in hand for others. You won't run a widescreen monitor properly with a cheap system though. Hope this helps someone.

Back