Will videogames become better than life?

Most definately!! xD

In many ways games are already alot better than real life. Else we wouldn't be playing them. :)

What's real life?? :scratch2:

Video Games vs. life?

I think this video is very thought provoking, as David says. Obviously it is art and not reality television, but that's good! It has the passion and sophomoric qualities of a young creator, but that's what made the Doors so good, too! And, it makes a very real point about our responsibility as game designers. Although a bit melodramatic, I think there is a big kernel of truth and it makes me think.
The thing I would hold up along side of it is a graph of our brainwaves when watching TV (TV encourages low alpha waves - mindfog and suggestability) as opposed to a graph of our brain waves when we're playing video games (engaged - of course, there are downsides here, too, another time...). The difference is that between zombie and doing sudoku. Video games are much better, in general, that way.

And, it is early days. We don't have everything right, not at all, but this is such a relatively new field and I am very optimistic about the long term.

At Dragon*Con around 1992, I saw a panel discussion on the future of virtual reality. Panel members included among others Cliff Stoll, Timothy Leary, and Steven Barnes. Many of the panelists were of the opinion that the VR experience would become more immersive (Leary was pondering what VR would be like for dogs...)

Barnes maintained that while many would be complacent to take virtual adventures in lieu of RL, humans thrive on the tactile, the doing, the being. So for some, VR would never be a substitute.

I agree with Barnes. While I enjoy pretending to be a colonist on far-away Calypso, it will never equal the adventure (read that as "adreneline rush!) of seeing a 30-ish foot whale shark swimming past me in 60 feet of water off Belize. :)

AG

I agree with Barnes. While I enjoy pretending to be a colonist on far-away Calypso, it will never equal the adventure (read that as "adreneline rush!) of seeing a 30-ish foot whale shark swimming past me in 60 feet of water off Belize. :)

AG

That is true, and it will take a long time before games can top those real life experiences. However, it takes alot of time, effort and money to get to Belize and get that experience. While it's a completely different matter to get your kick from your favorite computer game. You'll get that kick in a matter of seconds, and you can get it any time you like and as often as you like.

Sure, both are different experiences, so it is something of an "apples and oranges" comparison. So I guess I'll go on record as saying " MMORPGs/VR/Video Games will never 'better' than real life, but will certainly have some unique thrills in their own right."

And there they are, all laughing about that idiot who bought an island...laughing about him having all hunting and mining rights....

It will be like the "Halo-Deck" on Star Trek.

Or maybe like the honeycomb in Matrix.

Back