WoF 2020... Hunt for your country! TRIBUTE TOURNAMENT

Hurrikane

Slayer
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Oscar Hurrikane SkyQuake
Hello all. Back in the mists of time there was an event called the WoF.... which a lot of people still refer to as the best time they had in EU. After a bit of a break I'm back on Calypso and eager to get the old vibe back.

So we're having WoF 2020.

This will be a simpler version of the classic WoF tournament, but no less enjoyable. I guess I just love writing down globals.

RULES:

1. Form a team and name it after the country you support.
(Team max size 12, INCLUDING a non-hunting member who will remain at the start point to act as a Judge)
(If more than 1 team is created for any country, they just need to have a different name; USA 1, USA 2 etc)
(Support teams are now just Teams... turn up and be counted:) People are still free to assist teams any way they can.)

2. Turn up to the start, check in with an official (likely to be me) and wait for the GO GO GO.

3. Hunt like crazy for three hours and get as many globals as you can.

4. Bask in the glory of your efforts.

Major changes include the removal of the MOBLIST... this WoF is all about VARIETY.
You can hunt ANY mob this time around.

SCORING:

Mob not globalled on by that team before
: 5 points (everyone's first global will score 5)

Same Mob and Maturity as one scored on by that team before: 1 point

Same Mob, different Maturity to one scored on by that team before: 2 points

HoF: Double points for that mob

SUSAN (113 PED global): Double points for that mob

AT END OF MATCH: Bonus for each mob-type globalled on by that team alone (i.e. your opponent did not global on the same): 3 points per mob (maturity does not count with this)

The first weekend will be any registered team taking part whenever they can arrange it (Judges will be present most times)... teams will be put in one-on-one matches with opponents selected randomly. If not many teams take part that will be it, we'll declare a winner. If enough teams take part there will be a semi-final and a final consisting of one-on-one matches in weekends to follow.

As you can see, it will be a test of hunting knowledge as well as killing power... whoever picks the "right" mobs will probably take the victory.

PRIZES: Just good feelings at the moment; if sponsors happen to take an interest this may change. Hard thing to ask sponsorship for as the mobs are free-choice, but land-owners may want to tempt people onto their hunting grounds.

Will move this to a proper WoF 2020 thread as soon I figure out how to. Dates and times to come, looking like March.

Until then, feel free to add your name and team underneath.

Good to be back.

Hurrikane

Last edited:
i love the idea of hunt knowledge.
i'll want be part of it this time again.

Jolly good!

Can it be on any planet? ( or at least Monria where the globals are listed on caly too)

Following, interested :)

Can it be on any planet? ( or at least Monria where the globals are listed on caly too)

Been thinking about this, and I reckon if you get to the start and the finish on Calypso, and your globals show up in the chat for scoring on Calypso, it doesn't matter where you get them. Of course, if your opponents stay on Calypso and you don't, both of you will have the 3 point bonus on every mob, which will kinda negate the advantage:)

Been thinking about this, and I reckon if you get to the start and the finish on Calypso, and your globals show up in the chat for scoring on Calypso, it doesn't matter where you get them. Of course, if your opponents stay on Calypso and you don't, both of you will have the 3 point bonus on every mob, which will kinda negate the advantage:)
Awesome thanks :cool: I'm definitely up for this!

Count me in.

:lolup:

NICE WoF is returning :) Was my favorite event in EU and looked forward to it every year.

It wasn't about winning anything it was just about winning period who gave a crap if you got anything. It was fun just to participate....

Still waiting to order my WoFfee Mug :D

I am in.

K-Max

Anyone wants to set up a team USA feel free to let me know and add me to the bunch !! Really looking forward to this since I'm a lot bigger shooter now compared to last time I was involved.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOF!!!
:cheer::cheer::cheer::dance::dance::dance::handgun::handgun::handgun::banana::banana::banana:

An ENORMOUS TY Hurricane! :ahh:

DRM

Wellcome back Hurricane :yay:
Happy to hear and looking forward to it :)

All looks cool and fun but where are the prizes?
An event is supposed to have prizes, this is a Real Cash Economy game as we all know very well. I still remember the last WoF that I joined. At one point in that year I even entered the main team cause it was Saturday morning and Portugal was short on main members but why should I participate again? What did I won for showing up??? It's like doing merry annihilation with crap DPS just for the fun. Contact MindArk, contact LA owners, Bank owners, big groups that have more than one land etc.
After my past experience I would say that I would need to be very dumb or rich to go shot 3 consecutive hours just for the sake of my country flag without any other kind of reward.
Plus those allies thing is just wrong and all the fictional countries also. Make MA checking the nationality of every one participating and add prizes otherwise is just time spent with the house always winning and we players depositing to buy more ammo cause I cant global on that mob.

ZOMG this will be amazing!!! THis was some of the most fun i ever had in this game.. :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Plus those allies thing is just wrong and all the fictional countries also. Make MA checking the nationality of every one participating and add prizes otherwise is just time spent with the house always winning and we players depositing to buy more ammo cause I cant global on that mob.

I totally second that. A country team is a country team. Period.

I'm in! Was always a lot of fun. Looking forward to this! :yay:

Sounds dope.

Who is starting team NL?:)

Good to see this back....Last time I participated was 2014

All looks cool and fun but where are the prizes?
An event is supposed to have prizes, this is a Real Cash Economy game as we all know very well. I still remember the last WoF that I joined. At one point in that year I even entered the main team cause it was Saturday morning and Portugal was short on main members but why should I participate again? What did I won for showing up??? It's like doing merry annihilation with crap DPS just for the fun. Contact MindArk, contact LA owners, Bank owners, big groups that have more than one land etc.
After my past experience I would say that I would need to be very dumb or rich to go shot 3 consecutive hours just for the sake of my country flag without any other kind of reward.

With all due respect, it's a player-run competition and participation is voluntary. Mindark used to provide prizes and even employed me to do the last one, the result of which left a rather sour taste in my mouth, and led to me spending 3 years away from the game entirely. This event is for the many people, some of whom you can see in this thread, who miss the event for what it started out as; a welcome distraction from the grind and a chance to take part in something social and fun. Feel free to take part in some other event if you want, but we're Woffing. I'm sure some sort of prize will materialise, it has every other time... but that's not what this is about.

Hurrikane

ON TEAM NAMES:

That's all they are; names.

The WoF is an international event but any team name that represents a nation OR NATIONS will do. I just want teams. If you don't like the thought of alliance between say, Germany and Switzerland forming, then create a Team Germany or Team Switzerland team and beat them (i.e. take it out on them not me:)). As I said before there is no way to discern or prove someone's place of birth in an online game, and I really shouldn't have to. Team Antarctica can take part for all I care, or a whole soc hunting under their own name plus a country of their choice... it's a free competition which I have no ability to police so to have exclusionary rules would be pointless. If I declared that everyone taking part had to prove they were from the country they said they were, we couldn't have the event. If I say no alliances are allowed, smaller teams simply don't enter, and the event suffers. The main aim here is participation, the more the merrier, not telling people they can't take part. Please see my point of view on this one, I'm a bit tired of a decade of grumbles about it. What matters is that several people wanted to help each other out by teaming, and they got a higher score than their opponents. But the truly patriotic teams who keep it self-regulated will always have my utmost respect. They're generally the ones to watch out for.

OTHER NOTES

The team sizes are now a maximum of 12 (twice what the WoF has had before, and then only in the Final) and selection is random, so what's to come is a weekend of thrilling one-on-one matches, with whitewashes, giant-killings and close win-lose battles. Selection will be a fun day for some, a bracing day for others. The highest score in any one match wins the day, unless enough teams take part to have Semi's and a Final.

Thanks for all the support and kind words, looking forward to seeing you all TP off again:)

Hurrikane

Last edited:
When does it start?
Will u register the teams in this Thread?

When does it start?
Will u register the teams in this Thread?

Should be around March 2020, check in here, form team threads by all means.

Hurrikane

All looks cool and fun but where are the prizes?....
After my past experience I would say that I would need to be very dumb or rich to go shot 3 consecutive hours just for the sake of my country flag without any other kind of reward...

Imo one of the best part of this mmporg is community, in last years lot of players left because we lost the pleasure to play/show up to meet other passionate players over the world; FoF and WoF were a really great appointment, I had a stronger desire to know other connationals irl, after those matches; as a noob (that I'm still now :ahh:) was fantastic even only meet and chat with those farest uber with their shining long dreamed armor and gear and learn anything I could. My ped card always cries, but I was lucky enough to grow a bit in the game, I mean I'm not rich, but for sure I'm dumb enough to do my best to join, dunno if I'll shoot for three hours or three minutes, I don't mind any prizes, I never joined for those. It was for the laugh we had on skype with my team, chatting with judges, with opponents and the frenzy kicking mobs.
If you don't have the will or time to study a strategy no problem, just gather a team and hunt how much and what you desire, with the only rule to reach a starting/stopping waypoint, what's better?
(and who knows? Maybe some prizes will come eventually!)

Join us Fanan, just for fun :)

DRM

I like that there can be collaborations or the odd virtual team, some countries are tiny in comparison to others and after all we all left earth for calypso many moons ago right? ;)

#TeamSpace :cool:;)

Is WOF an acronym? I read all 3 pages of this thread hoping to find out and not once did anyone bother to say what the letters WOF stand for... What does it mean?

:scratch2:

If there is a team Canada forming, count me in. :wtg:

Is WOF an acronym? I read all 3 pages of this thread hoping to find out and not once did anyone bother to say what the letters WOF stand for... What does it mean?

:scratch2:

If I don't mistake it was born as Festival of Firepower, a bunch of friends joining a team hunting only with Marber rifles, later it became an event with other societies' teams with a restricted list of mobs to be hunted and, as it grew over and over attracting lot of people, became World of Firepower with the rule of fight under each one's Nation flag. And it's FUN!

DRM

Yeah - The Return of The WOF - count me in , anyone interested in being in Team GB

Nice to see you back Q

Moondog

Back