WoF Topic

Clam Jamphrie

Old Alpha
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Clam Jboy Jamphrie
Just a thread to discuss anything that has one foot in the WoF.

For a example; Who are the favourites for this years WoF? Centech compiled some info and figured the odds last year...although I thought his showing of Team Eudoria at 75-1 was shocking ;P

So I wonder if there any odds out there at the moment for 2009.

Also a place to post your 'WROB' pics.

With the introduction last year of support teams the number of WROBs (Wrong Mobs - WoF judges slang) rocketed. It was often a source of great amusement to many of the judges.
The accidental killing of ones own team members was also most jovial.

If you want to ask a question but can't find a thread to post it in then ask it here. For example, I would like to know if Team Estonia are really advocating Lesbian Rock? I'm just curious that's all.

So anyway if you have any thing that's slightly WoF Topic post it here :)

For a example; Who are the favourites for this years WoF? Centech compiled some info and figured the odds last year...although I thought his showing of Team Eudoria at 75-1 was shocking ;P

So I wonder if there any odds out there at the moment for 2009.

I guess its a bit hard to compile odds until the teams are properly announced and things get under way.

Looking at Team threads, USA, England and Australasia seem to be most active which perhaps indicates they're up for it so to speak. Australia were strong at times last year I seem to remember, so with a bigger following and a well-organised squad maybe they'll be this year's team to step up amongst the favourites?

Sweden and Tibet are likely to feature strongly again too I'd imagine. Romania are the first shock of the tournament, looking like they'll not even compete.

Newcomers China will be interesting to watch, do they have enough numbers and experience to build up a strong enough squad yet?

So my pre-tournament favourites are:

USA, Sweden, England, Tibet, Australasia, China.

If all six reach the semi-finals, I expect public glory :D

So... is this a good place to say:

COME ON ENGLAND!! :yay:

?

ah whadda you guys know :tongue3: who said some tiny little team of chipped out nubs and friends can't come along and wipe the floor with the lot of you :nutkick:

GL to you all and happy WoFfing

Last edited:
Yo ... thanks for this thread J Boy!

By chance most of you noticed that two teams of the former WoF 08 decided to not participate this year's WoF: Romania and Austria.

No clue about Germany. Switzerland?

Also there was an annoying debate about Tibet<--->China. Ask Sir Jimmy B, who managed that all in an admirable way by useing the sword of patience.

Aforesaid knight, Sir Jimmy, named the problem of the current rules:

Maybe tomorrow all of Warants decides to create a Team Andorra, and pay support members to join them. Then we might as well hand them the 2009 jackets tomorrow. WoF isn't a soc tournament.

And ...

And finally, (vi) does anyone remember the times back when WoF was fun?

And that's my point! Yes, I remember the joy of WoF 07! Everybody was so excited and committed!

What is my view of the current WoF today? Okay, no chance. Forget it! Wasted money. Stay out of the competition and be a judge - wich will bring some fun.

IMO the entire spirit of WoF is gone. It became a commercial enterprise. Welcome to the rich! Welcome to the high skilled! Welcome to the nations with a wide number of participants (greetings to biggestglobal: you have the potential!!)

No doubt, WoF 09 will be the biggest event at Calypso ever. Congratz! But this dimension will exclude alot of colonists - against the entire goal. "Nations" like Enland, USA and Tibet will dominate the competition.

Probably it's a good business ... don't know. And I will accept it as it is. But unfotunately I am not able to participate. That makes me feel so blue ...:rolleyes:

Best regards.

Jamira, former Captain of Team Germany 2007

And that's my point! Yes, I remember the joy of WoF 07! Everybody was so excited and committed!

IMO the entire spirit of WoF is gone. It became a commercial enterprise. Welcome to the rich! Welcome to the high skilled! Welcome to the nations with a wide number of participants (greetings to biggestglobal: you have the potential!!)

Best regards.

Jamira, former Captain of Team Germany 2007

Totally understand what you are saying, but I for one (and I hope the rest of the Wales team) will still take part for the fun, the camaraderie, the new friends made, the excitement and the hope that we can do better than last year. So yes it has changed...But it will be what you want it to be :)

I agree with the sentiments of Jamira and RC.

But it wont stop me having a go :sniper:

In a way, the spirit of the WoF was lost as soon as MA offered prizes.

A double edged sword.

Fantastic that MA recognised the competition and offered to make some jackets for it. However, this made it a much more serious competition and the stakes were raised.

Many have relished this. But there are other that dont have the skills/equipment and lets face it PEDS, to compete in a fashion that will take them to the semi finals stage.

So, WoF has become another competition where those with the big money win the girl. And nothing wrong with that, the big boys and girls deserve to fight for their country as well :)

There are other factors as well. The dominant showing of England last year showed other countries that they will need to be bloody organised and have a large and well equiped support team to stand a chance. Some countries will rise to this challenge, but other will not bother.

And this is sad, as it is damn fun to be a part of. I suppose the emphasis has to be on the fun nature of the "have a go hero" rather than the corporate grind of just another thing the ubers win.

And it is for this "fun" aspect that I for sure will be taking part again. I know I wont get anywhere near winning with the country of my choice, but I will have a hoolie trying.

The Festival of Firepower (forerunner to WoF and still run regularly) still holds my attention and gumption more though, as usually there are no prizes. Just the fun of taking part and the honour of either doing well, or crashing like a blazing bandicoot. But whichever, the FoF is a great thing to compete in.

WoF wise, I think people need to lighten up a touch, and make of it what they wish. Yes it is not the same "Have a go Hero" competition it started out as, and has got a lot more serious and commercial, but there is still fun to be had :)

Form, or join a team and have a hoolie :sniper:

Last edited:
IMO the entire spirit of WoF is gone. It became a commercial enterprise. Welcome to the rich! Welcome to the high skilled! Welcome to the nations with a wide number of participants

it was the same in 2007, biggest and most skilled teams in the final. i dont understand, when was anything in life wasnt decided by biggest and best? but the best can be down to cunning and planning as much as anything else. you'll never know what could have been if you dont have a go.

i wont get to represent my country at anything else, so this is an oppurtunity to be a little patriotic and represent. getting involved is the important thing, i dont get why some a taking their bats home before its even started.

Anything can happen on any given weekend...

2008: Tibet is 6-0 and scored 1293 points in Stage 3 and 1510 points in Stage 5 (the highest!!) They then lost in the Semi Finals...

2008: England (eventual Champions) won their first two matches by margins of 318 points and 320 points. Impressive... but next match they lost to Wales...

2008: USA, the defending Champions, were eliminated at the end of Stage 4 by 95 points... basically a few globals.

2008: the team that did it to the USA was Romania. They needed a superb performance in the last match of Stage 4, and they got it. They defeated powerhouse Sweden 497 - 449 in what many consider the most thrilling match ever. This victory/point total propelled Romania into the Semi Finals.

2007: Germany got off to a great start, winning their first match. They then lost 3 in a row (outscored 289 - 188). They got it together and advanced to the Semi Finals that year.

Just a few examples... it is not always the best equipped and most skilled that take the flag. Organization will more often than not win the day. Take it for what you will, but I certainly would like to see more team threads starting up... (hint, hint)

thanks Statto :silly2: that kinda what i wanted to get at, bad day at the office and any team can lose. some may have noticed theres a fair degree of chance in the game and that evens out the field. got to be in it to win it.

:beerchug:

Fantastic that MA recognised the competition and offered to make some jackets for it. However, this made it a much more serious competition and the stakes were raised.

I saw those jackets :) and i for one am not going to get any jacket (thank god there frikin horrible and would clash terrible with my other ensemble) as i will be support, there is nothign in it for support whatsoever as far as i know, no prizes, no main team glory, nothing.

Oh wait yes there is, AUSTRALIA taking out wof 2009!!and thats all it should mean to anyone!! jackets :) who needs stinkin jackets.

I dont really care about ENGLAND just means we have another competition to climb on top of them in :) and it will happen, it's inevitable. If you always think you cant win and dont try you will never
know.

If you need an example of what can happen in competition with countries who have it all then watch this you tube of aussie speed skater Steve Bradbury, you will never give up again. He said after the race he knew he didnt have the speed so would hang back and stay out of trouble in case 1 racer fell, tactics can outway skills and money.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=lfQMJtilOGg

then theres eric the eel who had never even seen a swimming pool

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjCc_VyxM4&feature=related

and who can forget Eddie the Eagle from England (Great Britian), no chance of winning but still gave it a go.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=A7MmJIy0bjo&feature=related

It's not all about winning (or whinning) it's about giving it a go.

Australia and England will always give it a go, they love to beat us (rare : as mod faps dropping :) ) and we relish sending the poms packing in any sport and hopefully that rivallry will live on for ever.

And personally i think it should be YOUR country your competing for not a jacket just for the pride!

GO YOU GOOD THINGS!!

p.s. poms is aussie slang for english people :)

Last edited:
WoF wise, I think people need to lighten up a touch, and make of it what they wish.

Yes indeed, its all about having a laugh at the end of the day (or it should be) and doing the best you can to represent your country, in a friendly competition.

Jackets, prizes, well its all very nice but most of the people who turned up for England last year weren't doing it for any jacket and most didn't end up with one.

it was the same in 2007, biggest and most skilled teams in the final. i dont understand, when was anything in life wasnt decided by biggest and best? but the best can be down to cunning and planning as much as anything else. you'll never know what could have been if you dont have a go.

Exactly. England weren't considered as being amongst the favourites last year at start whistle as far as I recall. And even once we were amongst the favourites we still lost to a team representing a tiny little island country with 12 houses and a post office somewhere off the coast of Bristol.

I intend to do my handicapping again, but I'll wait at least until the teams flesh out a bit more to do the first set of odds.

Maybe I can find someplace to actually take action. You can bet on American Idol at bodog and lots of other places.. not much less ridiculous. xD

Well, I've always been a fan of our own little countries surprises, 2007 we beat the favorites at the time (and now 2 times silver medalists) Sweden, and in 2008 defeated the champions USA.

This year it's beginning to look like we may not even be able to host a team at all! But dammit, even if I have to go out there solo I'm still doing it. I still recall Maxa playing solo for Serbia in 2007 and defeating one of WoF's more powerful teams France all by himself. The man is a god.

It's all in the dedication. :)

On that note - the whole team UK idea? Really bad one imo. I think if England got even more backup than they already have that would monopolize the WoF, and thats a bad thing. No offense to the English or the Americans but it makes it more tense if several countries are still evenly matched come crunch time. I would prefer it if someone else took the title this year.
My personal vote is for Sweden in 2009. :)

Last edited:
I guess its a bit hard to compile odds until the teams are properly announced and things get under way.

Looking at Team threads, USA, England and Australasia seem to be most active which perhaps indicates they're up for it so to speak. Australia were strong at times last year I seem to remember, so with a bigger following and a well-organised squad maybe they'll be this year's team to step up amongst the favourites?

Sweden and Tibet are likely to feature strongly again too I'd imagine. Romania are the first shock of the tournament, looking like they'll not even compete.

Newcomers China will be interesting to watch, do they have enough numbers and experience to build up a strong enough squad yet?

So my pre-tournament favourites are:

USA, Sweden, England, Tibet, Australasia, China.

If all six reach the semi-finals, I expect public glory :D

Good to see how the team is perceived from a non-Aussie point of view because I can tell you that is exactly how we feel about this year's WoF. Quite a few well skilled and quality stocked Aussie's that haven't signed in previous years are now registering for this year. Going on initial expectation, and with loot luck, anything less than a semi final appearance would be considered a failure (speaking for myself here, not any offical comment on behalf of the Aussie WoF team :silly2:).

Nice one Jimmy! :)

If you can keep your health bar up when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can't outrun an Atrox Prowler
But can outrun the guy next to you,
If you can wait at revive a moment and figure out the cords of where you died,
Or remember that it is the yellow ammo that is used is BLP guns,
Or being hunted by Argonaughts, without giving way to Berycleds,
And yet don't look too good, as a Chistmas hat looks silly with an ML35:
If you can dream of Hof's, and not make Hof's your master,
If you can think, and not mess up your aim;
If you can say "Woot" with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two Scipulors just the same;
If you can bear to read the other team just globaled,
Twisted by then crashing to desktop,
Or watch in awe as 43 people TP at once,
And head off into battle with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your oil residues
And risk it all on one hunt with your team mates,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and Pedcard
To serve your country long after thousandth yellow message,
And so hold on when there all your team mates lay dead on the ground
Except the Will which says to them: "We gonna get that sucker"

If you can talk with crowds without using the CAPS key too much,
Or walk with guys in Shadow, while the orange clad guy gets the bonus mob,
If neither foes nor blooming Falx can hurt you;
If all men count with you, and manage to agree with the judges,
If you can fill the unforgiving lootpool
With dogged determination, to be rewarded with the golden swirls,
Yours is Calypso and everything that's in it,

And--which is more--you're in the WoF, my son!

--Rudyard d3stroy3r Kipling

...I still recall Maxa playing solo for Serbia in 2007 and defeating one of WoF's more powerful teams France all by himself...

He defeated Amethera, but still an impressive feat :thumbup: and a great example of what can be done.

Okay, okay! Thank you all for your warm words, your patriotic words and your pleads in "Who knows!"

I feel much better today. So let's say I'm cured. However you won't see me there this year fighting for Germany. In the end it's a task of PED ... :rolleyes:

And great post, Safara :D

23 Teams so far :yay:
(32 Last Year)

Amethera
Australia/New Zealand
Canada
China
England
Estonia
Eudoria
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Italy
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Scotland
Slovenia
Sweden
Tibet
USA
Wales

Last edited:
So no qualifiers?

Still lots of time... hopefully we can get more. However, the absence of 24+ teams would indeed change how the Stages were done in the past. Adjusting fire is not as difficult as one may think.

Team Brazil is coming back this year, so we only need one more to justify the qaulifiers.

Team Brazil is coming back this year, so we only need one more to justify the qaulifiers.

But unfortunately I'm afraid we will not have a Team Germany this year ***grummel grummel***

I wanna start a debate here......:rolleyes:

How do we help the nations that can`t organize their national team?
There is atleast 4-5 ppl who wanna represent their country and I can name atleast 5 countries that has this kind of situation, and they can`t participate the wof until they have 12 member teams:(

Now...this is all up to nations that can`t gather members for the forthcoming wof (I`m just making a suggestion)

Should they make some coalitions and connect 2-3 countries into 1 team or maybe insert some more virtual world teams like amethera and eudoria ?

I wanna help them and see them ALL in this year wof :yay:
It`s not all about wining or losing. It`s about YOU represent your country, to fight under your national flag. TO PLAY FOR YOUR COUNTRY !!!!

I wanna start a debate here......:rolleyes:

How do we help the nations that can`t organize their national team?
There is atleast 4-5 ppl who wanna represent their country and I can name atleast 5 countries that has this kind of situation, and they can`t participate the wof until they have 12 member teams:(

Now...this is all up to nations that can`t gather members for the forthcoming wof (I`m just making a suggestion)

Should they make some coalitions and connect 2-3 countries into 1 team or maybe insert some more virtual world teams like amethera and eudoria ?

I wanna help them and see them ALL in this year wof :yay:
It`s not all about wining or losing. It`s about YOU represent your country, to fight under your national flag. TO PLAY FOR YOUR COUNTRY !!!!

afaik, country that wanna compete in WoF only need atleast one member to be able to compete and not 12. it will prolly be tough tho :)

afaik, country that wanna compete in WoF only need atleast one member to be able to compete and not 12. it will prolly be tough tho :)

U can add a nation with 1 member :confused: since when ?

The stuff that Max-a pulled out was when there was more members signed for wof Serbia but only him showed up in that mentioned round ;)

Yes, you only need have one member for the main team.

Up to a maximum of 12 for the main team.

Yes, you only need have one member for the main team.

Up to a maximum of 12 for the main team.

I lived in lie then :ahh: :D

Indeed, last year there were about 5 teams with only 9 members total.

Well, until the semis you can run a Team with 4 members and only lose out on support. I imagine if Da, Rei, Neomaven and Star break off from Team USA and form Team Hawaii they'd probably get a fair way through the tournament ;)

Back