Woot telephone scam!!!

Nor Alien

Elite
Society
The Gathering
Nor Alien Euqcab
OMG I love it. Im not the end all and be all of computers but I know hell of a lot about them, so getting a phone call from an unknown long distance number I tend to be on my guard. Particularly since there has been a rash of people getting scammed by callers claiming to be from Microsoft. I have always wished I could get one of these calls and today my dream came true. LOL

Scam- "Hi sir my name is Tom Wilson, I am from Microsoft tech support and I am calling you on behalf of our support department. We have been getting higher then normal error messages from your windows computer that there is a leak or open port in your system."

Quick note= He could barely speak english and his name definitely didn't match the accent!!! :laugh: Not that this matters but if you are calling from Microsoft you would have someone who speaks fluent english to help.!! :silly2:

Me- "Oh my apologies, can you help me fix this?"
Scam- "Yes this is why I am calling." "Could you please go to your computer and turn it on."
Me- "Ok its on."
Scam- "Ok on explorer there will be a bar on the top of your screen. This bar is an address bar. Type in the following address" (www .support. me) *** I put the spaces in there so no-one clicks on it accidentally. ;)***
Me- "In explorer?"
Scam- "Yes"
Me- "My Mac book does not have explorer!!"
Scam- "Oh you do not have a windows computer?"
Me- "No sorry I do not"
Scam- "Oh then just one second as I get my supervisor"
Scam2- "Hi sir how are you today?" **same bad english as before.. lol**
Me- "Good thank you" **better now that I am talking to you! :laugh:**
Scam2- "Ok sir is your mac computer turned on?"
Me- "Yes" **I wonder what computer I turned on in the first place?? :dunce:**
Scam2- "Good please open up Safari and there will be a bar on the top of your screen. This bar is an address bar. Type in the following address" **same as before** ** so strange that they use this address bar from where ever they are from!! :newbie:**
Me- "Can I use Firefox?" **For those that know me I hate firefox with a passion but my Wife loves it and is the only one she uses on her mac-book!! lol**
Scam2- "No sir it must be Safari" **Damn my wife is never going to let this one go!! :ahh:**
Me- "Ok I have entered the address"
Scam2- "Please hit enter"
Me- "Yep I did" **No I did not! lol**
Scam2- "Ok there is a box on the screen, please type in this 6 digit number"
Me- "I don't see this box"
Scam2- "What address did you type it?"
Me- **repeated the address he gave me... :rolleyes:**
Scam2- "Did you put it in the address bar at the top of the screen?"
Me- trying not to laugh "Yes that empty bar at the top?"
Scam2- "Yes, this bar is called the address bar" "Try entering it again"
Me- "Ok I did and it came up with a screen that says... there has been a security error and has this big long number with numbers and letters in it.. Did you want me to tell you the numbers?"
Scam2- "No that is not needed, please hold the line while I get my supervisor" **Hmm I could have sworn he was the supervisor!! lol It's too bad he didn't want the number, cause it started with ( EA TM E) Would have been a great laugh!! I guess he must have heard this one before!! :yup:**
Scam3- "Hi my name is..." **At this point I really didn't care. They didn't fall for my damn number joke so I was a bit upset they were not following my preset line of fun!! Bastards!!** :laugh: **A bit better accent and female to boot!!** :girl:
Me- "Hi"
Scam3- "Ok at the top of your screen there is an empty space that has your home page listed on it" **LOL seems this one is a bit smarter then the other two!! :yay:
Me- "Yes the address bar at the top where you put in the address to what ever website you wish to visit"
Scam3- "Yes, please enter the following address." **same as before**
Me- "Ok I did"
Scam3- "Please hit enter"
Me- "Ok I did"
Scam3- "Ok in the box on the screen please enter this 6 digit number"
Me- "I don't see this box" **Most likely because I didn't bother to even type this in my ... whats that called again?? oh yeah address bar!! ** :tongue2:
Scam3- "One second please" **In the background I could hear them talking. I couldn't understand anything they where saying but what I gleamed from it was this....

**Is our computer working, is the website down? No it is working. Is he connected to the site? No.. She says something that I couldn't understand and I hear the guy in the background say something and it sounded like he was extremely worried.. Next thing you know, she hangs up!! ** :yay:

BTW, did anyone catch the their mistake at the beginning? Like the one where they say there is a problem from your windows computer? lol :hammer:

I called my local police department. I got the same cut and paste answers as I would if I was on MA support!! :eyecrazy: lol must be a hand book out there that explains how to handle support problems. :laugh: Needless to say they didn't have anything to say other then you did the right thing!! :yup:

Very nice.

When I am bored, I can talk to a telemarketer for an HOUR! LOL

They really never give up.

:laugh:

Lol Too funny.:laugh:

Did you record it? Maybe someone here can translate the background conversation. Did any of them claim to be a Nigerian prince?

Very nice.

When I am bored, I can talk to a telemarketer for an HOUR! LOL

They really never give up.

:laugh:

LOL something else to look forward to!! :D

Did you record it? Maybe someone here can translate the background conversation. Did any of them claim to be a Nigerian prince?

No I was caught off guard besides I'm still learning what the address bar is. ;) I wish it was the Nigerian prince. I would have asked if he is looking to adopt a new son!! :laugh:

They do it to many people, just google support.me and you'll even find videos such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hxXu0qD9Nc

LOL yeah the police officer I talked to said he has had this same phone call happen to him 3 times.. persistent bunch!! :yup:

This is funny LOL

These boneheads call every few days in my area for over a year now...when i'm looking for some fun I like to string em along and make fun of them...other times just yell the most obscene thing i can think of before I hang up. :p

The calls seem to come through Skype usually. :)

Anyway, +rep for THE BEST response i've seen posted online to these clowns yet. :D

I really did LOL...

maybe I will answer next time they call. :laugh:

I just tell them I don't have a computer. Confuses them no end. :girl:

(If they're willing to lie to me, why should I be honest back ?)

These boneheads call every few days in my area for over a year now...when i'm looking for some fun I like to string em along and make fun of them...other times just yell the most obscene thing i can think of before I hang up. :p

The calls seem to come through Skype usually. :)

Anyway, +rep for THE BEST response i've seen posted online to these clowns yet. :D

I really did LOL...

maybe I will answer next time they call. :laugh:

Ty!! :beerchug:
You should answer. It's a great way to get a laugh in!! :laugh:

I just tell them I don't have a computer. Confuses them no end. :girl:

(If they're willing to lie to me, why should I be honest back ?)

LOL very good reasoning!! :laugh:

Haha! I absolutely enjoy keeping them on the phone, you know make THEM pay...but I suppose they started off by hacking phones then got into the computer industry???

Even salespeople drive me nuts though!

Funny story:
An ISP called one day trying to get us to switch to their service, we were going to get all the bells and whistles they said. This day I was in a bad mood :mad: so I cut her off and and asked what EXACTLY she was trying to sell me. I hung up before she replied and couple of minutes went by before the phone rang again.
I answered the phone : I don't want to buy your stupid package!
The reply came: Sorry this is Mrs Conway, your daughters kindy teacher :ahh:

I couldn't really look her in the eye for quite a few weeks!

Hahah I got this, but i got

Hello we are calling from windows. I was like right ok and? We are the company windows who make windows 7.
I was like do you not mean microsoft ? hannggg up

Haha! I absolutely enjoy keeping them on the phone, you know make THEM pay...but I suppose they started off by hacking phones then got into the computer industry???

Even salespeople drive me nuts though!

Funny story:
An ISP called one day trying to get us to switch to their service, we were going to get all the bells and whistles they said. This day I was in a bad mood :mad: so I cut her off and and asked what EXACTLY she was trying to sell me. I hung up before she replied and couple of minutes went by before the phone rang again.
I answered the phone : I don't want to buy your stupid package!
The reply came: Sorry this is Mrs Conway, your daughters kindy teacher :ahh:

I couldn't really look her in the eye for quite a few weeks!

LOL I would have a hard time after that as well!! :eyecrazy: Hopefully you scared her enough to ensure an A!! ;)

Hahah I got this, but i got

Hello we are calling from windows. I was like right ok and? We are the company windows who make windows 7.
I was like do you not mean microsoft ? hannggg up

LOL they need a better script then that!! Thats too funny. I think they pray on people who still have no clue what a computer does!! :laugh:

Last edited:
Second attempt!!

LOL second phone call...

Scam: Hello Mr... there?
Me: Yes

Scam: Hi yes we are calling about your windows computer.
Me: What?

Scam: We are calling about your windooooows C O M P U T E R!!
Me: Im not deaf I just can't understand you!!

Scam: What windows are you running?
Me: If your from windows wouldn't you know already?

Scam: You may be running more then one type of windows.
Me: I see... Well I just got new windows installed in my house so I don't need new ones thank you..

Scam: No Im asking about your computer windows.. What version are you running, Xp, Vista, Windows 7?
Me: oh... Windows 8

Scam: Windows 8?
Me: Correct..

Scam: Is this on a desk top?
Me: umm sure...

Scam: ok well good bye..
Me: What?

Scam: I said good bye?
Me: I'm sorry I can't hear you?

Scam: I SAID GOOD BYE?
Me: Oh.. thank you for staying on the phone for that extra 2 seconds it took me to track you!!

Scam: *click*

Me: LOLLOLOOLOLOLOLO :yay:

Lol some people just dont learn :p

-Bemo-

i donb't get it. How is it a scam? they ask you to visit a web address then type a number in ...surely that doesn't do any harm ? :scratch2:

:)

i donb't get it. How is it a scam? they ask you to visit a web address then type a number in ...surely that doesn't do any harm ? :scratch2:

Happened to me to in sort of the same way. It's not really a scam, they only just want remote access of your computer. The web address he wanted me to type was for remote access software (http://www.logmein.com)

I just went along with it to for 30 minutes to:
a) See his level of technical expertise (pathetic)
b) His skills communicating to persons in foreign countries (pathetic)
c) Waste his time (success)
d) Get him angry (success - he hung up)

I'm surprised you've not heard of it. This scam has been around for a few years now, and pretty much everybody I know has had at least one call.

There's even an official Microsoft warning about it: Avoid tech support phone scams, as well as various newpaper articles, like this one on the Guardian: Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India There are forum threads on Whirlpool, Australia's broadband site, like this one: Beware: Telephone Support Scams that make interesting reading too.

The scam has had minor changes over the years, or possibly different scammers use different variants of it. The version I've mostly heard of here is essentially:
1. They tell you that they have detected a possible error with your Windows OS.
2. They ask you to log in to a website that will 'check' it for you.
3. The website then (unsurprisingly) detects a problem, and they tell you that you need to download a patch to fix it. For a small fee ofc ... which you can pay by credit card over the net on their 'secure' site.

If you fall for this scam, you have not only given them your credit card details, but you've paid for the privilege of downloading a keylogger (the 'patch').

Other variants include allowing the caller remote access to your computer (eeek!)

Weirdly I have had a genuine call like this from Symantec :laugh:

I knew they would be calling but if I hadn't been in the office I have a horrible feeling one or two would have let anyone in.

The number of times I've had 'is this a scam?' with a forwarded email attached.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you've not heard of it. This scam has been around for a few years now, and pretty much everybody I know has had at least one call.

There's even an official Microsoft warning about it: Avoid tech support phone scams, as well as various newpaper articles, like this one on the Guardian: Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India There are forum threads on Whirlpool, Australia's broadband site, like this one: Beware: Telephone Support Scams that make interesting reading too.

The scam has had minor changes over the years, or possibly different scammers use different variants of it. The version I've mostly heard of here is essentially:
1. They tell you that they have detected a possible error with your Windows OS.
2. They ask you to log in to a website that will 'check' it for you.
3. The website then (unsurprisingly) detects a problem, and they tell you that you need to download a patch to fix it. For a small fee ofc ... which you can pay by credit card over the net on their 'secure' site.

If you fall for this scam, you have not only given them your credit card details, but you've paid for the privilege of downloading a keylogger (the 'patch').

Other variants include allowing the caller remote access to your computer (eeek!)

Thanks for clarifying. Not heard of it before :)

If this scam scheme wouldn't work it wouldn't be used so widely.
Oh it works, works like a charm. Must be hundreds, maybe even thousands of successful scams a day...
Why shouldn't it work - you don't need no skills, no education, no initial capital and there's endless amount of potential victims. The gravy train!

Same reason why e-mail spam has grown into huge multi million dollar business - whole army of brainless clueless zombies that keeps feeding it...

This growing number of zombies makes me worried.
Gotta fly to Rocktropia soon, do some crowd control. :yup: :girl:

Lol , priceless

If this scam scheme wouldn't work it wouldn't be used so widely.

like the webpage saying you've got a virus, I know people who've paid to have their machine scanned.

Mind you these are also the the same people who have 10-15 browser tool bars installed and wonder why their machine is slow to load webpages. Or have three anti virus programs running at the same time.

like the webpage saying you've got a virus, I know people who've paid to have their machine scanned.Mind you these are also the the same people who have 10-15 browser tool bars installed and wonder why their machine is slow to load webpages. Or have three anti virus programs running at the same time.
Lol yep I have fixed many a slow computer by simply uninstalling loads of crap that people think they need or have no clue what they were installing in the fist place.. That will be 50 bucks for 10 to 20 mins of work!! :D I'd only ask for money if it's a repeat offender!! ;) lol

Yep ... Had the same call ... And yes ... I played along as they asked me to go to the registry and check how many errors I have ... Which included ( canceling processes, program freezes etc etc ) and they made it sound like a virus is creating those errors lol ... But I knew better lol ... Had them talking to me for an hour and a half as I had my six pack beside me on a sunday afternoon while playing online slots ... The poor guy couldn't be happier when I put the phone down lol...

On another note .... I got nothing against the actual callers as these are people mostly coming from very low economic backgrounds that are hired by scammers to make the calls ... If I was in Africa, India , Vietnam etc and my family couldn't get 1 meal a day I couldn't give a shit about what I am asked to do as long as I get paid :) ... That's why, doesn't matter how much I hate those calls I understand they are just reading the script they are given.

I had one of those calls a couple of weeks ago.

At work as I was though and not even close to "my" computer there, I asked for an URL, so I could try it in a "sandbox" and see what would happen and maybe run wget to check what would be downloaded, but the person on the other end didn't want to give me the URL, he insisted I'd be on my computer before giving me the URL.

Kind'a odd he "knew" I had a virus on my computer but that he didn't know the windows version so he could give me the URL.

As for within Sweden, telemarketing feels like the modern and corporized version of begging. On one hand, it's young people who got a chance of job and they probably get some extra cash income from each accepted offer. On the other hand, I hate getting offers when I don't have all facts, and that they often can't take "no" for an answer, and that they often only tell half the truth. "Are you selling a subscription?" "No" "No?" "It's no subscription because you can cancel" (doh). or "You are a valuable customer of ours, I see you have xx". "No I don't have the xx I have the yy package". "Ah sorry I misread in our papers". Or "What is my customer number with you?" "I don't have your customer number". Or, <asking a question about the pricing> "Sorry I'm knew at the job" (Well if you can't tell me the pricing why do you try to call me?).

I only want to order something I want. I don't want to order something because I feel pity for the poor student on the other side of the telephone line. Maybe it would be more honest that insteaf of selling stuff they called and said they are student and they need more money, and ask if I would like to give them 100 SEK (ped) without any more obligations - no lottery ticket subscription for Miljonlotteriet, no subscription to "PPM Advisoring", no 12 months additional tieing-up of cellphone subscription. Instead sending giving the money and maybe be mentioned as a minor sponsor in that student's CV.

Last edited:
Back