Worst EU review ever

lilac

Stalker
Society
Rapture of Rebellion
Dagny Lilac Lane
http://www.outpostgamez.com/outpostgamez/top-stories/558-next-island-opg-review.html

Ok, so this is technically a NI review... but it basically more reviews the EU concept than the actual NI planet...

I know we're not typically the "darling" of reviewers... some of whom hit upon some very legitimate criticisms, but this has to be written by the most impatient gamer ever!

Edit: after hearing so many of us bash the original review, the guy edited it.... some of the comments below won't make sense

Last edited:
http://www.outpostgamez.com/outpostgamez/top-stories/558-next-island-opg-review.html

Ok, so this is technically a NI review... but it basically more reviews the EU concept than the actual NI planet...

I know we're not typically the "darling" of reviewers... some of whom hit upon some very legitimate criticisms, but this has to be written by the most impatient gamer ever!

Ya that guy got some nasty backlash on the NI facebook page before private wall posts where disabled. Some from people who don't even like NI :)

Ya that guy got some nasty backlash on the NI facebook page before private wall posts where disabled. Some from people who don't even like NI :)

saw it there... even bashed it myself:)

The EU community is a funny thing; we're ok with each other bashing some aspects of the game, but when some impatient n00b comes in and writes a review which clearly shows he/she knows nothing, we band as one and fight back :)

Go community go! :wtg:

I don't entirely disagree with it.

Some research into how PED works first might have helped - or maybe this should be obvious upon sign up.

I agree the graphics aren't thaaaat great. Not sure about the missions on NI, but if it's like on the rest of the planets...

The EU community is a funny thing; we're ok with each other bashing some aspects of the game, but when some impatient n00b comes in and writes a review which clearly shows he/she knows nothing, we band as one and fight back :)

Go community go! :wtg:

Yreah but sadly I STILL cant reccomend it to my RL friends....Frenimies .. hehe in a heart beat.

Well next island is a piece of shit, so I don't blame him for not liking it.. I've been playing EU for 8 years and I couldn't stand being there for more than a day.

unfortunately, a lot of new folks walking in the front door have the same ideas... and something should probably be done about it... There's rookie mining gear, and rookie kiwio, but where is the rookie sword?

Putting things in to a little perspective... embra c1 had a markup value of like +1.5k about a year ago. Nowadays it's going for tt+100. I am darn glad I didn't buy mine back then, but you gotta wonder why it's like that?!?... My thought is it's got to do with supply/demand. People don't go in to melee much til later on most of the time. They just grab opalo and head out skilling, never looking to other areas of expertise til later on. If there was cheaper entry fee for swordsman there might be more folks taking it as the main profession?

in effect get some ped after completing a quest could be a nice inputs for all players at all levels...............

oooops i forget that MA don t care about people's opinions !!!!

unfortunately, a lot of new folks walking in the front door have the same ideas... and something should probably be done about it... There's rookie mining gear, and rookie kiwio, but where is the rookie sword?
Well, ya see, it would be broken after 2 swings...:rolleyes:

Well next island is a piece of shit, so I don't blame him for not liking it.. I've been playing EU for 8 years and I couldn't stand being there for more than a day.

You didn't read the review. It was based of NI but the parts it insulted are same on all planets. For example, "Too much avatar customization" I mean come on, really? Is the guy writing the article stuck back in the world of 8bit games?

What's wrong with this review?

If you know nothing about EU, thinking it's just another "free to play" MMORPG and you just log in after seeing some ad of a poorly made custom island, that's pretty much what your experience would be.

I'm amazed the guy went so far, he actually completed some quest.

It would be probably different, if the guy went through "the main gate": first found out about EU, read (alot of) forums and then went to Calypso, but now with all those custom planets, you never know...

(Not to mention any inside details like that crappy textures are the merit of "the indie company" and "cool water animations" is a well known feature of CE)

If you know nothing about EU, thinking it's just another "free to play" MMORPG and you just log in after seeing some ad of a poorly made custom island, that's pretty much what your experience would be.

It would be probably different, if the guy went through "the main gate": first found out about EU, read (alot of) forums and then went to Calypso, but now with all those custom planets, you never know...

(Not to mention any inside details like that crappy textures are the merit of "the indie company" and "cool water animations" is a well known feature of CE)

I'm going to take a guess that you also did not read the article, just skimed over it maybe. This article insults all of EU and really sounds like the guy spent ten minutes playing before he decided to attack the avatar customization and graphics.
He could have said the same thing about the starter quests on Calypso.
If you think this guy would give a better review if he visited Calypso then I invite you to get him to try.
The writer is an idiot and the article sounds like something a newb who never left PA would write.

well.. this wasn't "anyone"... he was a reviewer...

I'm pretty sure the calypso tutorial is better... but is a LITTLE background research too much to ask after a 6 gig DL?

a google of Entropia Universe, perhaps? A basic understanding of RCE?

you say the word "custom planet" as if planets are something someone throw together in GIMP for second life...

the 7$ for a basic weapon is just flat out false and will be a needless deterrent... the guy obviously can speak english, and might have uttered the phrase... "where can i buy a starter weapon?"

whine whine... i can't kill things with my fist! I didn't get hunting skills while running and delivering letters! (he did... just as attributes!) and you don't NEED hunting skills to hunt!

Even if you don't like NI, or even if you're pissed at EU... this is sloppy.

I don't entirely disagree with it.

Some research into how PED works first might have helped - or maybe this should be obvious upon sign up.

I agree the graphics aren't thaaaat great. Not sure about the missions on NI, but if it's like on the rest of the planets...

I don't entirely disagree with it either... if he had simply said... sweating is boring... 3 ped I earned didn't last long and took me 4 hours to gather and sell... game seems like a ripoff...would be a different story

Last edited:
Even tho this writer is worse then me, when it comes to compiling a reveiw. How he sets up his article he writes just as much about the avatar creation, as he does the entire game play. This shows he is a bad writer indeed.

But the key points that he writes about the story line is spot on. Its the same problems I hit when I try to recruit people to the game.

Graphics never make a game . Look at Minecraft, playability and old school graphics .still a great game

TAC
Ice Cold

But the key points that he writes about the story line is spot on. Its the same problems I hit when I try to recruit people to the game.

You still try to recruit people to the game? I'm embarrassed to tell me friends I still play EU. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I dont quit because I'm addicted.

And as far as the review goes. I havn't read it.

It isnt the worst review.
I remember a review writen just right after VU10 was released.
That review was much detailed with screenshots of unfriendly players and graphic buggs.
When it was out, someone mobilsed a lot of people on entropiaforum
and everyone went to that review and posted alot of comments under the review.
and the writer got flamed big time.

I actually think his review mirrors what many feel about this game when they join, and even after being here for over 3 years I feel the same.

Lets be honest folks the whole "free2play" thing isn't really true and it plants false hopes. Honestly back when it was only mindark running this thing, they always said "free to download", "no subscription fees", however naturally as humans that reads are "FREE GAME". In reality it never was. I am curious if the words "free2play" are on NI websites anywhere. I know on Rocktropia stuff the word "free" was kinda removed other than them stating "free chat". To sum it up if NI is saying "Free2play" its false advertising, albeit not far from being misleading from "no subscription fee" verbiage.

He clearly states he likes the character creation process, and goes on to write about customisation:

'I think Next Island does go a bit too far; however it’s always nice to have that level of customization available.'

That is a like not a dislike.

The reviewer (I think) has a grudge either against NDS or against MA because of the remark about the developer of NI being a small indie company and insinuating this in a bad way, but he makes no distinction between MA and the PP's. However, considering he likes the MA attributed parts and dislikes the PP ones:

He likes the character creation, character customisation, avatar control, keymapping ability, RCE
He dislikes the storyline, the quests, the graphics, NI and the company that developed it

I'd say he dislikes NDS and as such this review is biased bs and should be discarded.

However he has some valid points.

I've done my best to review the review at the site. do hope you like it :D

100% of progamers agree with this statement.

That is a faulty statement as I am in fact a programmer and do not agree.

Granted, I've never been to Next Island, but agreeing would be just as bad as disagreeing and you need me to agree to make your statement true ;)

Granted, I've never been to Next Island, but agreeing would be just as bad as disagreeing and you need me to agree to make your statement true ;)

Go to Next Island. If you like it, I'll eat my hat, my SGA rocket, Kimmi's dog, and a snablesnot.

There's nothing to like there.

I think the comments on his review are more valuable than the review itself.

Go to Next Island. If you like it, I'll eat my hat, my SGA rocket, Kimmi's dog, and a snablesnot.

There's nothing to like there.

I liked some aspects of it... but I won't go back until most of the loot actually has a use (and a value) so that I won't get my PED card drained so quickly from not being able to sell anything :dunno:

I did not say programmer

This was a good review. It was a review in which a new player compares what he sees to every other game he's ever played.

He's spot on about the graphics. They have been done in a hurry with a lot of repetition. Cryengine 2 is capable of soo much more then the simple designs of the huts. The same goes for the lack of mobs. Monkey here monkey there with the odd pig here and there.
He's spot on about the weapons costing 70 ped too. Where would a noob go, if they wanted a weapon.. to the shop.
and there he found a weapon costs way too much, which is spot on as well.

Next island lacks the gateway, and it lacks a new arrivals port, which planet calypso both has. SO a new player doesn't learn what a trade terminal is, it even isn't a trade terminal, it's a trade papoo.

Reactions: Cly
wait...I did that mission while I took a small "vacation" in game so I traveled to NI and the mission wasnt hard at all. Quite funny that I should see this thread today cause just yesterday there was an impatient noob expecting magical loot as soon as they landed in PA.

Back