WOW!!! Legends' Armor Shops are INCREDIBLE!! Go and take a look!! Twin Peaks Mall - Floor 2

MsPudding

Elite
Rachel MsPudding Hawkins
Disclaimer:
Alright, alright... I am definitely biased as the owner of Twin Peaks Mall writing this review of Legend's new "makeover" he recently did with his shops on the 2nd floor of the Twin Peaks Mall. BUT, that does not change the fact that his shops are completely awesome, incredibly user friendly, and packed with useful information! Just walking around in them for 10 seconds, right away you notice that he put a TON of work into these shops. Also, he's not asking me, nor does he know I'm writing this review. I chatted with him in game about the new signs, info, and "remodel" he recently did, and wanted to give him a shout out for all of his hard work and dedication he's put in to making these shops as badass as they are.

-Electric Armor Shop
-Mutant Armor Shop
-Robot Armor Shop
-Animal Armor Shop

Review:
After getting off the televator on the 2nd floor of the Twin Peaks Mall, you see two shops next to each other, one is an Electric Armor Shop and the other is a Mutant Armor Shop. Being the "freak" that I am, I stepped into, you guessed it, the Mutant Shop first

index.php

Armors for every and any Mutant occasion! My jaw bout' hit the floor after all the signs loaded in. You see these big beautiful signs with the name of the mob you want to hunt, locations it spawns in, and what armor is recommended for which maturities, with the armor conveniently below. This guy has gone and done the work for you!! He's taken every tidbit of useful information off the EntropiaWiki and served it up on a gorgeous, elegant, and easy to understand plate. I was impressed, to say the least

index.php

If I'm feeling like some Prots, Rextelum, or Feffox, I can quickly see what maturity I intend on hunting and pair it with the right armor

index.php

He's got notes on everything, folks! If you're feeling lazy because minimizing the game and doing a search on the wiki makes you sweat a little, this is the shop for you!

My next stop was down the hall on the far end away from the televator on the left side, his Animal Armor Shop. I'm glad I checked it out, because it was just as impressive as the Mutant Shop

index.php

Inside, it was the same type of layout with amazing signage and information, broken down in an easily digestible manner

index.php

You can quickly reference all of the Imp/Cut/Stab mobs and their % breakdown, minimum HP, you name it, he's got it!

index.php

So, after picking my jaw up off the floor, seriously, I am so damn impressed with the organization and beautiful display of creativity and utility that Legends' packed into these shops; I decided to "price check" his armor options with what I could buy off of the auction and see what most of this stuff was selling for on a 'Monthly Basis', just to get my bearings

I randomly selected some armor items to see if his prices were competitive. Here's what I found:

Legends' ( Perseus Harness (M,L) @ 145.97% ) versus Auction House Monthly ( Perseus Harness (M,L) @ 147.88% )
Legends' ( Male Ghost Thighs @ tt+26.98 ) versus Auction House ( Male Ghost Thighs @ tt+24.01 )
Legends' ( Male Gremlin Harness @ tt+25.98 ) versus Auction House ( Male Ghost Thighs @ tt+23.64 )
Legends' ( Mayhem Harness (F,L) @ 169.98% ) versus Auction House ( Mayhem Harness (F,L) @ 171.89% )
Legends' ( Polaris Harness (F,L) @ 104.98% ) versus Auction House ( Polaris Harness (F,L) @ 101.07% )

Turns out that the items he was selling were on par with what the auction price trends were, in some cases much lower, and in other cases higher. I will mention that a few of the items I checked weren't even available on the auction house, but I could find them in Legends' Shops. Legends' prices seemed very fair, but I admit, I did not price check everything.
Final Impression:
I loved the layout, the user friendly signs and useful information. I'm a visual person, so seeing the mob and the damage types right there next to the armor was very helpful. I liked that Legends' had gone to the work to help point me in the direction of where to hunt these mobs, how to equip myself, and conveniently supplied everything w/ competitive pricing.

This was probably one of the best player owned shops I have ever been in. Legends' has clearly spent hours upon hours taking all of the crucial and important info from the Entopia Wiki and converting it into the game via signs. When I had a question I sent him a PM and he instantly replied, cheerful and willing to help.

I just wanna say to Legends, you're an asset to the mall, hunting community, and the amount of work you put into these shops is nothing short of impressive. Very cool, Legends, very cool indeed :cool:

If you need a place to suit up before your hunt, you know where to go :handgun:

Cheers,
Pudding

I will definitely be checking this out when I get home. It looks awesome and I love the idea of all the additional hunting information.

Big up to Legends and to MsPudding for bringing my attention to it. Only yesterday I was looking for a mid level robot (L) armor so I will have a trip there later

Wow I was not expecting to wake up to this awesome review from Pudding! Thanks so much! And thanks to all who so far have also expressed appreciation for my efforts; your kind words makes this all worthwhile :)

Lately I have been thinking about typing up my story, how I started on this path and the trials and tribulations along the way. I think some of you would probably quite enjoy reading about my journey, my line of thought for each stage of growth; why I did what I did, all the successes and failures I had... And honestly, I think it would probably be very insightful for many if they bothered to read it, mostly just how much work, money and time it really takes to even get noticed as a shop owner in this game, it's really quite baffling. But it can also be very rewarding, actually in my opinion, the most rewarding activity in the game if you value helping people and making friends everywhere.

⭐ The Evolution of a Shop idea - Part 1 ⭐

Discovering Entropia (2006):
Back in 2006 all I had was an old power pc macintosh computer which limited me a lot in terms of what I could do on the internet. I had a big interest in computer games so I did find that I could play most browser based games that were available at the time and did have quite a bit of fun with some of them but that had sort of run its course for me and I wanted to find better, more immersive games to play. At some point my roommate left town for a job and told me I could use his computer while he was gone so I went exploring. I had already done a 30 day trial of WoW previously and though it was pretty good, I was more into sci-fi stuff so that's what I looked for. One member from my alliance in Hyperiums, the main browser-based game I used to play had told me about EVE Online and so I created an account to take advantage of their free trial and started playing it. When the free trial expired I went looking again, hoping to find something I could play for free like Hyperiums but better and found Entropia. One review I read said something along the lines of "If you are patient and don't mind standing with your back up against a wall for hours you can sell stuff and make money in the game..." I remember thinking Hell yeah I could do that!

As soon as I got off the arrival ship in Port Atlantis I just went straight to sweating Exas. I spent hours every day sweating. When I had accumulated a few thousand bottles of sweat I would go and hang out in the square at PA and advertise my sweat for sale (who's old enough and remembers the yellow square walls at PA!?). After a while I had heard that Fort Troy had some really good sweating but it was very far and getting there would be quite a feat at my level (no vehicles at the time). Still I was pretty dedicated so I traded in some sweat for armor and decided I would go for it. It took me a few days but I did eventually make it to Fort Troy where I found a large spawn of Daikibas all around the Fort. I would sweat-hunt these guys all day long and eventually started organizing and running swunting teams that would work the spawn all the way through from one end of it to the other (you had to move for this back then, you couldn't just stand still like they do now at Boreas). I had a lot of fun with this at the time, I have fond memories of those days when I look back.

New city and new career (2007):
In the middle of 2007 I moved to a new city and started a new career. Whereas previously I had a lot of free time but no money, things suddenly changed and I had money but no time because I was too busy with work. I had a few weeks off of work at the end of the year and made some deposits for the first time. I used the money to speculate on Calypso apartments and spent quite a bit of time hunting Atrax north of Jason Center. I was also browsing the auction quite a bit looking for armor parts I needed in order to complete my collection which I was hanging up on the walls of one of my apartments in TI City (there was a trick you could do back then, if you clicked quickly enough after getting the error message saying 'you can't place this item on the wall', it would actually work the 2nd time).

Another thing I was spending a lot of time on was furnishing apartments. I had this idea early on that maybe I could furnish some apartments, make them look super cool and maybe I could rent them out or sell them fully furnished and decorated for a profit. I really had no idea where I was headed with it but I was enjoying coloring things and decorating/furnishing apartments. I spent about 800 ped on Colorer skills and was trying to skill that up but it was just super slow. I secured a domain name for myself in case I wanted to create my own website eventually called EntropiaSuites.com. None of this ever did amount to anything, it was just something I played around with at the time. But back then I did however buy almost 40 apartments for something like 300 to 350 ped each and that did eventually pay off as they went up in price over the years.

index.php

It took a few tries over a period of several days to finally get this wood floor just right. Sadly the migration to the
CryEngine destroyed all of the work I had put in to decorating several of my apartments.

Sizable investment (2010):
Was it 2010 or 2011? I can't remember now... Anyway. I read about the new Calypso Land Deeds that MindArk had released into the auction. At the time I had some money I wanted to invest so I decided to depo 11k usd I think it was. It took about 4 or 5 days for the wire transfer to go through and once the money landed on my ped card, it was too late to buy any CLDs on auction, they had all gone already. I found someone selling some on this forum and connected with them in game. I ended up paying 1100 ped each for my CLDs at the time, so I spent all my ped and bought 100 of them. Then I logged out for over 5 years.

My return to Entropia (2015):
After having parked my Avatar for over 5 years, I found that I had almost 70k ped just sitting there in dividend payments (I actually had to contact support to find it cause I didn't know about the PED Flow Center yet, it was new since the CLDs had come out lol). I wasn't really sure what to do with all the ped but since the investment had been so successful, I knew I wanted to reinvest the money into the game, except this time, I wanted to play a more active role in Entropia, I wanted to do something that contributes to it and actively earns ped as opposed to passively earning it. Land Plots were just being introduced and I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity so I paid around 460% for the Composite Planks on the auction (crazy right?) and secured a Medium Land Plot at Livas Heights. This, by far, is the one purchase I regret the most in Entropia today, it never occurred to me at the time that 6 freakin' years later, I'd still be sitting here begging MindArk to develop them further...

The activity that attracted me the most was to have a shop, to be a shop owner. The first thought I had was to use the Land Plot at Livas to make a shop. I started thinking about what sort of shop I could do. I noticed that all around Livas Heights was Allo/Estos. I researched what were some of the best armors to use for them and found out that Orca was the most efficient (economical) armor to use there (back then, prior to the changes introduced with loot 2.0). This I believe was the very first time I ever thought about actually creating an Armor shop in Entropia. I began checking the auction routinely for Orca blueprints and materials and collected plenty of stuff over a period of many months to make lots of it but never did end up making any at the time. Instead I bought some shop keepers and created a furniture shop at Livas where I sold random stuff like leather chairs, lights, paintings and other furniture since I had so much of it from before. If I recall, I had a thread on this forum to let people know about it and where to find it (can't seem to find this thread now but I could have sworn I used to have one).

Humble beginnings as a shop owner (2017):
While I was having some fun with the shop keepers at Livas I continued to look on this forum for an actual shop to buy somewhere. One day in January 2017 I saw this post from @morey and what I saw in the screenshots interested me immediately. I contacted morey and he met with me there and told me about the places of interest on Rocktropia, how to join the various chat channels, etc... The place was busy, there were people talking in chat, people at Lagoon crafting and trading, I liked it. I traded a few CLDs for his shopping booth at the landing spot without even doing any research at all into what it was actually worth, looking back I'm glad I was dealing with someone that was honest and fair. I experimented with selling different things there, At first I put a bunch of furniture up for sale there cause that's what I had a lot of in storage lol. Wow to look back how I started, so funny. morey had offered to sell me all of his shop inventory really cheap but I had declined at first. After the first week and not selling anything, I contacted morey and asked him if he still had that shop inventory and bought it all from him (mostly just hunting gear). I think I spent about 6k ped in all, back then I thought that was a lot of ped but I wanted to learn to make shops work so I splurged.

The 2nd shop I bought was at Tangerine from a guy named @swampymonster. This one had a lot more item points in it. Wasn't really sure what to do with it at first but one day I had a revelation: All these years I had been collecting armors (really since 2007), it was the one thing I really enjoyed doing, so I thought "well hey, I'm already collecting all sorts of armors without any reason to do so really, so if I was to create an armor shop, I could continue to shop for and buy armors and actually have somewhere to put them" And that's how my very first Armor shop was born, on RT of all places. I remember I put some Disco and Orca in there I had made and mostly some other looted armors I had collected over time. I had all the blueprints for Zombie also but didn't have the skills to craft that one yet. I heard about mothership repair runs and ended up spending a few days on Yoshi's ship to get my Armor Engineer up to where I could make Zombie and then add it to the shop.

After a few months had gone by and I had somewhat of an idea of what I can expect in terms of sales and how much profit can be made from shops, I did a quick analysis to see if it was worth doing or if I should have just kept the CLDs instead. What I found is that it was much more profitable. Seeing that reinforced my desire to own and manage shops even more and now I had absolutely no reason to hold back, it was a no brainer; I had to expand my business and get more shops.

Early expansion (early/mid 2017):
Out of the blue one day, @Fyrs, the owner of the other shopping booth at the RT landing spot, contacts me and asks if I want to buy his booth. I was surprised to hear he was selling it because just a few weeks before I had asked if he would ever consider selling it and he had told me it would probably never be up for sale, citing he had overpaid for it. So I asked him what changed his mind and he told me the owner of the Tangerine Shop (the biggest shop in game with 1k item points) had finally replied to his pms and that he had made a deal with him to purchase the shop. I negotiated a price on the shopping booth in front of CND with him and bought it. Now I had both shopping booths at the landing spot on RT! This was something I had hoped I would be able to accomplish somehow in the future and couldn't believe my luck that it happened so fast! And yet I still had a lot of CLDs left and was looking for more shops to buy still.

One day I was punching different things into the search bar on youtube and came across this video by Mikaile Thereader where she was showing off her shop on Monria. I remember my first impression was I thought it was really cool that her shop was on 2 levels and I thought the look and feel over there was pretty slick. I decided to keep my eyes and ears open in case there was a shop for sale there as I figured it might be a good place to expand my business to next.

Soon after that I noticed @Leland was spamming the trade channels trying to sell his shop on Monria so I went to have a look. When I got there I went hunting in the caves and really enjoyed it. I checked out the shop and thought it was pretty cool, I thought I definitely could have some fun making a really cool shop here. Another thing I had noticed was that the damage types for the 4 mobs on Monria were not all known in the wiki, so I could already see myself figuring that out and making a shop that was specifically geared for those mobs. Only thing I wasn't sure about was the price of the shop. I asked another shop owner his opinion on value and realized this guy was asking way too much. So in my mind I came up with what I thought would be a fair price and made an offer which was I think about 4k ped less then what he was asking. I thought he was probably going to turn it down and I was prepared to walk away from it if he did but he accepted. So I flew back to Monria, exchanged a few CLDs for his shop and got to work.

The Monria Armor shop is born (summer 2017):
I figured out the damage types for the other 2 mobs on Monria (Yogs and Shubs) and created signs that told you what the exact damage was for each mob (except the shoggoth cause most people just hunted it naked or with noob armor anyway). At first I just stocked it with whatever I could get my hands on that would be suitable for any of the mobs there so for example Angel, Shadow and Rutuba for Shubs, Moonshine and Tiger for Cultists, Bear, Boar, Ozpyn Beetle and ARC Patrol/Inaugurates for Yogs. Then over the next couple of months I figured out what all the best armors and plates were for hunting Shubs and created a thread in the Monria forum that listed these. I did the same thing for Yogs but never did get around to doing one for Cultists though I did have a room in the Monria Armor shop that was dedicated to armors and plates for hunting them.

I worked really hard over the next couple of years to source all the best stuff for these mobs as per those threads so I could have it on offer at the shop. I travelled to every planet and visited every shop. I browsed the auction every day. I even pm'ed @Auktuma to ask if he would be able to supply me with some of these items I wanted to have in stock at the Monria Armor shop, like for example Pulsar plates, Perseus armor, Serum armor etc... One day in my travels I stumbled on @SoReal who struck up a conversation with me and informed me that he had just completed collecting the blueprints for Aquila and told me he also had all the BPs for Cetus, Ursa, Hydra and some Pulsar plates. He said if I needed some of these he could craft it for me. I asked him to come up with a price and a few days later he did and I placed my very first order of crafted armors ever. SoReal became a reliable supplier of a select number of Arkadia crafted armors for a little while, and I was happy as I now could offer Aquila in the shop, which I knew was the best armor in the game for the Cultists on Monria. No luck though on finding a supplier for Perseus, which was the best choice so far as the Shubs were concerned, so I had to focus on looted armor options.

That first summer when I got the Monria armor shop I was playing off of a laptop computer. I would sit there all day long, head leaning forward, terrible chair and terrible posture. I had the summer off and I really wanted to get all my shops perfect and not miss any opportunities to find good deals for things I needed for my shops. After a few weeks working off of this laptop, pain began to develop in the back of my neck. I pushed through and tried to ignore it. It just kept getting worse, but I thought I was still relatively young and my body would be able to recover no matter what so I just tried to ignore it. When I went back to work in September, I noticed it wasn't going away. Later in the Fall I noticed it was still there so I began to see a Chiropractor. More than 3 years later, after seeing 3 different Chiros and getting more than 60 adjustments in all, lots of massages and physio at home, it's still not completely resolved. I'm not looking for sympathy or anything, the reason I am telling you about this is because I think it's important to remind people to listen to their body if they are in pain, and it's important to have a good computer station setup and not work from a laptop computer for extended periods as this is the worst thing you could do for your spine. If telling you all about my experience with this can convince one person to change a bad habit before it's too late, it will have been worth it. Anyway, early in 2018 I bought a desktop computer and a better chair, of course it was much better but for me it was too late as the damage had already been done.

index.php

A collage of screenshots I took back in 2017 once I got my Monria Armor shop looking pretty good not too long after I bought it. Top left shows the Shub room where you can see a sign showing damage types for Shubs and suitable armors to hunt them. Top right shows a table with a selection of weapons consisting mostly of Adapted Isis guns initially. In the background of the top-right screenshot you can see the sign that tells you the damage types for Cultists. Bottom left shows a sign telling people what the damage types for Yogs are and suitable armors to hunt them, as well as some pets I had on sale. Bottom right shows the room dedicated to suitable armor protection for hunting Cultists.

1st solution to skilling Armor Engineering:
Of course in the long-term I also wanted to craft my own armors and become more vertically integrated, so one of the things I found which could help me skill up Manufacture Armor was that all the more useful armor plates for hunting on Monria were crafted Rocktropia dragon plates. For example for the Cultist, the absolute most useful plate were the Joplin Dragon plates. The Hendrix dragon plates were also very useful. For Shubs, the absolute best plates were the Neverdie dragon plates. So I started buying blueprints to make these whenever they popped up on the auction and kept looking everywhere for the mats to make them. I asked around in trading channels, checked the Rocktropia auction often for them, but to no avail. To make matters worse at the time, the loot on RT was all messed up and dozens upon dozens of items were no longer dropping since loot 2.0 had been released and that included a lot of dragon parts.

I did eventually find some small quantities of mats, and I also found someone that had some left over since before Loot 2.0 that was willing to craft some plates for me. So for a while I did have those plates in stock at the shop and I'm pretty sure that in all of EU, this was indeed the only place you could buy Joplin plates, but my plan to skill up my Manufacture Armor with these fell through, there just weren't any materials around that would allow me to make decent quantities of these for Monria.

The Merry Mayhem Armor shop is born (Nov 2017):
I was already travelling to Calypso on a pretty regular basis in order to pick-up all of the auctions I had won and craft certain things so I could restock my shops on Monria and RT so I wanted to see if maybe I could get some sales going over there as well. I didn't have an actual shop on Calypso so for this I decided to try to use the Land Plot at Livas Heights. Since I needed quite a few shop keepers to make this work I knew I was going to have to rob my other shops for them, and if I was going to do that, then I had to make sure it would be worth it otherwise this would just end up hurting my sales. What I had noticed the year before is that during Merry Mayhem, activity usually drops off a bit on RT so what made the most sense was to just set up a shop on Caly for that time and try to drum up some business for myself over there during that time. Since this shop was going to be put in place only for the duration of Merry Mayhem, it made sense to have that as part of the name and since I was in the Armor business and planned on selling mostly armors there, I settled on a pretty straight-forward name and just called it the 'Merry Mayhem Armor shop'.

8 shop keepers would only allow me 160 item points so it was difficult to pick what to put on offer there but I had to make it worth people's time to actually come visit so I figured I'd have to put some other cool things in there as well such as pets, Deeds and UL weapons. I didn't really have too many of these but I did rob my Monria shop and RT booths of all the best stuff and brought it all to Caly for Merry Mayhem. And as far as Armor was concerned, I wanted to put on offer some hard to find uber stuff like Rutuba and Shadow, even though it doesn't have any cold and isn't really appropriate for Merry Mayhem so I also brought those along with me. I advertised this shop like crazy in game and on PCF (original shop thread here) during that time to see if I could generate a decent amount of sales. In the end, it wasn't great, but I was expecting that since it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere and was completely unknown. But I did get some sales and was beginning to think I should really consider finding a good location on Caly where I could open an actual shop.

index.php

A collage of screenshots showing the original Merry Mayhem Armor shop setup at Livas Heights #10. Top left shows what it looked like from outside.
The rest of the screenshots just show some of the shop keepers inside and their contents at the time.

Abysmal St-Patrick's Day sales (March 2018):
Every year on Monria they have a massive St-Patrick's Day event and this is something I had been looking forward to since I had bought the shop. I was curious to see how the event would impact sales and had expected, cautiously, that sales would most likely reflect the level of activity in some way. In anticipation of all the foot traffic in my shop, prior to the start of the event, I spent over 5k ped to make a bunch of ArMatrix rifles for the shop and brought in additional shop keepers from other shops for the extra stock. Yes I was offering mainly Armors but since Armors were closely tied to hunting activities, I also offered weapons, focusing primarily on high-efficiency options like Adapted Isis and ArMatrix. I advertised in the #monriachat every once in a while even though DME often warned people to use the trade channel, I felt it was better to ask for forgiveness than permission on that one lol, but in the end sales were just terrible. Just looking at sales and nothing else you would have thought this was an ordinary week-end with no event or anything special happening on Monria at all. I was so upset; all this work I had done over the last 6 months to get my shop just absolutely perfect, then the big event finally comes where lots of people are finally going to see all this good stuff, and then ...nothing... This little voice inside my head kept saying 'Nobody cares... Nobody gives a shit about your stupid shop and your stupid armors dude... Nobody gives a flying f*ck, you're doing all this for nothing...'

This experience just strengthened my desire to open up a shop on Calypso even more. I thought: I bet if I was on Calypso I'd have so much more exposure that everything would just be a lot easier. I was also beginning to realize that most people who travel to Monria with a plan to hunt any particular mob are already bringing the armor they need with them, they're not relying on anything being available locally. And the persistent Monria community is actually very small, I think my biggest customer in all my time on Monria was actually DME, the community manager (hard to be sure cause you actually can't see who bought what in your sales notifications over there, some bug with it that MA still hasn't gotten around to fixing after all these years). So the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me that I had to be on Calypso.

Last edited:
Wow I was not expecting to wake up to this awesome review from Pudding! Thanks so much! And thanks to all who so far have also expressed appreciation for my efforts; your kind words makes this all worthwhile :)

Lately I have been thinking about typing up my story, how I started on this path and the trials and tribulations along the way. I think some of you would probably quite enjoy reading about my journey, my line of thought for each stage of growth; why I did what I did, all the successes and failures I had... And honestly, I think it would probably be very insightful for many if they bothered to read it, mostly just how much work, money and time it really takes to even get noticed as a shop owner in this game, it's really quite baffling. But it can also be very rewarding, actually in my opinion, the most rewarding activity in the game if you value helping people and making friends everywhere.

(Note that I will abstain from airing out any dirty laundry in here. Of course there were confrontations and threats and other things, and although that could be very interesting to read about for some people, it wouldn't be fair to the ones mentioned as it would only be my side of the story, not the full story. So instead I will indeed do my best to provide interesting details about how things went for me, without speaking derogatorily of anyone.)

Was it 2010 or 2011? I can't remember now... Anyway. I read about the new Calypso Land Deeds that MindArk had released into the auction. At the time I had some money I wanted to invest so I decided to depo 11k usd I think it was. Once the money landed on my ped card, it was too late to buy any CLDs on auction, they had all gone already. I found someone selling some on this forum and connected with them in game. I ended up paying 1100 ped each for my CLDs at the time, so I spent all my ped and bought 100 of them. Then I logged out for over 5 years (of course I logged in every few months to keep my account alive, but didn't play Entropia at all).

After having parked my Avatar for over 5 years, I found that I had almost 70k ped just sitting there in dividend payments (I actually had to contact support to find it cause I didn't know about the PED Flow Center at the time, it was new since the CLDs had come out lol). I wasn't really sure what to do with all the ped but since the investment had been so successful, I knew I wanted to reinvest the money into the game, except this time, I wanted to play a more active role in the game, do something that contributes to it and actively earn ped as opposed to passively earning it. At the time, Land Plots were just being introduced and I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity so I paid almost 500% for the Composite Planks on the auction (crazy right?) and secured a Medium Land Plot at Livas Heights. This, by far, is the one purchase I regret the most in Entropia today, I didn't realize back then that 6 freakin' years later, I'd still be sitting here begging MindArk to develop them further... Oh right, I promised I wasn't going to speak derogatorily of anyone, ooops.

The first shop I bought was from @morey in January of 2017. He was advertising it on this forum and it's what got me to actually travel to RT for the first time ever. morey met with me there and told me about the places of interest on Rocktropia, how to join the various chat channels, etc... The place was busy, there were people talking in chat, people at Lagoon crafting and trading, I liked it. I traded a few CLDs for his shopping booth at the landing spot without even doing any research at all into what it's actually worth, looking back I'm glad I was dealing with someone that was honest and fair. I experimented with selling different things there, At first I put a bunch of furniture in there cause that's what I had a lot of in storage lol. Wow to look back how I started, so funny. morey had offered to sell me all of his shop inventory really cheap but I had declined at first. After the first week and not selling anything, I contacted morey and asked him if he still had that shop inventory and bought it all from him (mostly just hunting gear). I think I spent about 6k ped in all, back then I thought that was a lot of ped but I wanted to learn to make shops work so I splurged.

The 2nd shop I bought was at Tangerine (a guy named Swampy_monster I think...). This one had a lot more item points in it. Wasn't really sure what to do with it at first but one day I had a revelation: All these years I had been collecting armors (really since 2007), it was the one thing I really enjoyed doing, so I thought "well hey, I'm already passionate about armors, why not bring this passion into my shops, why not create an awesome armor shop!" And that's how my very first Armor shop was born, on RT of all places.

One day, also in 2017, some people on RT had been talking about Monria and one guy was trying to sell his shop there so I went to have a look. When I got there I went hunting in the caves and really enjoyed it. I checked out this guy's shop (@Leland). The shop itself was pretty cool, they are on 2 levels over there and have these huge windows, I thought I definitely could have some fun making a really cool shop there. Another thing I had noticed was that the damage types for the 4 mobs on Monria were not all known in the wiki, so I could already see myself figuring that out and making a shop that was specifically geared for those mobs. Only thing I wasn't sure about was the price of the shop. I asked another shop owner his opinion on value and realized this guy was asking way too much. So in my mind I came up with what I thought would be a fair price and made an offer which was I think about 4k ped less then what he was asking. I thought he was probably going to turn it down and was prepared to walk away from it but he accepted. So I flew back to Monria, bought the shop and got to work.

I figured out the damage types for the other 2 mobs on Monria (there and there) and created signs that told you what the exact damage was for each mob (except the shoggoth cause most people just hunted it naked or with noob armor anyway). Spent quite a bit of time researching all the armors and plates that would be the most helpful and found that all the more useful armor plates were RT dragon plates. For example for the Cultist, the absolute most useful plate was the Joplin Dragon plate. The Hendrix dragon plate was also very useful. For Shubs, the absolute best plate was the Neverdie dragon plate. So I kept looking on the auction for mats to make them and kept asking around if anyone had any dragon parts but to no avail. To make matters worse at the time, the loot on RT was all messed up and dozens upon dozens of items were no longer dropping since loot 2.0 had been released and that included a lot of dragon parts. Long story short I did find some small quantities of mats, and I also found someone that had some left over that was willing to craft some plates for me. So for a while I did have those plates in stock at the shop and I'm pretty sure that in all of EU, this was indeed the only place you could buy Joplin plates. So anyway at some point I had all these awesome plates, I had Joplin plates and Neverdie plates in the shop but sales were very rare. Every once in a while someone would say something about prices being too high or something, so the plates just sat there, no takers. I reviewed my prices and lowered them a bit, hoping that someone would recognize the value in those plates. Then one day, someone came and bought the set of Joplin plates and re-listed them on the Caly auction for about 30% more markup... This was really heart-breaking; all this time and effort spent to try to be of service only to see your hard work go completely unappreciated and wasted frankly.

Around that time I began to think about moving my operation to Calypso. I thought: I bet if I was on Calypso I'd have more exposure and my efforts would end up being appreciated more. I was also beginning to realize that most people who go to Monria with a plan to hunt any particular mob is already bringing the armor they need with them, they're not relying on anything being available locally. And the persistent Monria community is actually very small, I think my biggest customer in all my time on Monria was actually DME, the community manager (hard to be sure cause you actually can't see who bought what in your sales notifications over there, some bug with it that MA still hasn't gotten around to fixing after all these years... ooops did it again.. Sorry!). So it became more and more clear that if I wanted to succeed long-term, I had to be on Calypso.

Merry Mayhem was coming up so I decided I would test the waters. I used my Medium Land Plot at Livas heights that has 2 snugs on it and placed 4 shop keepers full of armors in each snug. I had to pretty much rob my RT and Monria shops of shop keepers and all the best armors for this but I had to make this worthwhile so I did. I advertised it like crazy in game during that time to see if I could generate a decent amount of sales. In the end, it wasn't great, but it was better then all the sales on Monria and RT combined so I decided I had to have my main operation on Caly.

Twin Peaks mall (Spring 2018):
I was really getting tired of these shops that were hard to find and that I had to do a ton of promotion in order to even get anybody to come visit so from that point forward, I had decided the only shops I ever want to own are shops that are in the most desirable places, that have the bonus of being randomly visited, I wanted to free up all this advertising time to focus on other things like getting new inventory, crafting, making improvements, etc... So the first thing that came to mind was Twin Peaks mall, it was the obvious choice.

I bought my first shop at Twin Peaks mall in the Spring of 2018 which was the one where the Robot Armor shop currently is. I bought it from a guy in the UK that was selling out. Then only a couple of months later I secured a deal on the large enhancer shop that used to be where the Mutant Armor shop is. Both of these I bought with CLDs and some ped to make up the difference. Around that time I sold my shop at Tangerine but I wasn't ready to give up on Monria yet after all the time and effort I had invested into it.

For a while I just had 2 shops at Twin Peaks mall. They both only had 150 item points indoor at the time and 10 points in the display areas. It was really difficult to decide what to offer in each shop. The best thing I could figure out to do was to have a rotating stock in one of them and keep the other one as the Robot Armor shop. So depending on the time of year the large shop closest to the Televator would either be called the Mayhem Armor shop, or the Migration Armor shop and be stocked accordingly with suitable armors and plates. But that meant I had to strip everything down 4 times a year and re-stock it completely with different armors and plates. It was very time consuming but this was a stage at which I was struggling so I felt that time was one of the commodities which I had and could leverage, so I just went along with that plan for a while. If you go back through my early posts in my Animal Armor shop thread for example you can see that I was calling it the Migration Armor shop back then. So I had 3 shop threads: Robot, Mayhem and Migration, but only 2 shops.

Another interesting aspect of this that should be noted here is that at the time, my Manufacture armor skills were pretty low, I couldn't even craft Zombie armor. When I first started creating armor shops, the Tech Gizmos didn't exist so the only way to skill up Armor Crafting was by making actual armors. I had often felt overwhelmed with this whole scheme I had, I felt it would just never be possible for me to catch up on that and be able to craft the uber armors since it was extremely difficult to sell the lower level armors with the recent changes MA had made to how armors decay in loot 2.0 (basically no penalty anymore for being protected inadequately so most hunters just used Perseus for everything, which I couldn't make). Things were not looking great for me and what I was trying to accomplish, sometimes I felt like I was probably just wasting my time since there was just no way I could ever compete with better established armor providers.. I'm not going to say I felt despair, but I definitely felt overwhelmed and felt like the odds were just not stacked in my favor at all. When Tech Gizmos came out in the Fall of 2017, I experimented with it a bit but the losses were just so large that I couldn't see it as a sensible means of skilling up at the time.

The competition with Genesis begins (Fall 2018):
Obviously lol, the elephant in the room that no-one is talking about... It's so funny that to this day people contact me sometimes and pretend like I don't know that Genesis exists. Of course I know it's there, I discovered @Drakil's operation back in 2017 when I just opened my first armor shop in Tangerine. When I opened my Armor shop on Monria I even messaged @Auktuma hoping he could help supply me with some crafted armor plates. In the end that never happened but I was in awe of what they had over there and in some way was thinking to myself: Yep, that's the sort of operation I could see myself creating in the long-run.

One quick side note about Genesis, which I think might be somewhat insightful for people and help you understand what formed the concept for my Armor shops early on: Auktuma makes all of these armors for the Genesis armor shop, he is the uber Armor crafter in the game and this operation at Genesis is in my opinion primarily aimed at selling crafted armors. I don't think this is a secret, in fact, on the first post of his shop thread I think Drakil says specifically that he is working with Auktuma. So anyways there's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's very much needed and very much appreciated by the community. However, I think that this Armor shop concept is going to be a bit conflicted internally. What I mean by this is that for example, it serves them to only have a few parts of Rutuba on hand; why would anyone buy the Rutuba if there's only 3 parts available at 160% when next door you have a full set of Perseus at 145%? So I thought this internal conflict between looted and crafted armors is not likely to go away anytime soon and I felt like that was something that could play in my favor because in contrast, my aim was just to be able to offer all the best stuff, whether it's looted, crafted, upgraded, mined, limited, unlimited, I don't care. So instead of just throwing in the towel before even getting started, I realized I can cut myself a portion of the market, it's possible to compete and I can succeed with this. The key is just to have no bias, period, or, have the purest of bias; a bias towards the best armor options and nothing else. That would be the one thing I have that they don't have over there and which they might find hard to have even in the future (note that a lot has changed at Genesis since then and I will get into that later but that was my line of thinking back in 2018. Also note that the goal here is not to speak derogatorily of anyone or their shops, I just wish to convey to you what was going through my head at the time, that's all. They obviously have an amazing shop which to this day I still struggle to compete with).

But anyways, the one very obvious aspect which I had difficulty competing with at the very beginning was item points. If there ever was one thing that Genesis was doing that basically no one else could do was the shear volume; the abundance of the offering. Just overwhelming. I think at the time they had something like 70 shop keepers there, so that's 70 x 20 = 1400 item points of armors and armor plates. Now granted, in the looted armor room those shop keepers were not full, but still, what the heck was I supposed to do with just 320 item points? It was pretty obvious to me I was going to have to invest in more shops and more item points.

Back then, ped was a bit tight, shop keepers were only going up in price so I didn't really want to buy more of them... But one day I had an idea. I noticed that on the 2nd floor of Twin Peaks mall, @Buzz Lightyear and @Kikki Jikki both had large shops. I also knew that both of these guys also had an Armor shop somewhere else; Buzz had an Armor shop on the 3rd floor and Kikki Jikki had an Armor shop at Emerald Lakes mall. So I thought if I can get these guys to move both their Armor shops here to the 2nd floor, maybe together we can compete with Genesis because together we could get closer to 1k item points. At that stage, the 2nd floor would become a much more interesting place to visit if you're looking for Armor. Was even pondering catchy names to call the 2nd floor of Twin Peaks mall like for example: Armor Alley or Armor Row...

I sent both of those guys private messages in game telling them about my idea, asking them if they could move their Armor shops to the 2nd floor, even promised them to do free advertising for all 3 of us if they did. Buzz said he would think about it but he never did move his shops around. I think in the end it's just a huge endeavor and I think he probably just didn't think it would be worth doing. Kikki Jikki declined, said he was trying to sell out and so in the end I made an offer on his shop and he accepted, which effectively added some 200 more item points to my operation.

Growth, growth and more growth (early 2019):
I spent about a week figuring out what to do with this new shop and what to call it. In the end I just stayed with the Migration Armor shop name since I already had a thread here on PCF and a concept. I loaded it with some armors and plates I already had. It looked terrible at first; was just a couple of Tron displays in the middle with a bunch of armor hanging from them. Sales were very poor; really few sales. One day I decided it just didn't make sense to call it the Migration Armor shop since migration only lasts a couple months each year, so I messaged a moderator on PCF and asked to have the thread name changed to Animal Armor shop (this was before they updated the forum, now I can just change the thread title myself but back then you couldn't). It made sense, after all, I already had a shop called the Robot Armor shop which was doing pretty well right across from it, so I thought for those that don't hunt bots, here's an Animal Armor shop. So now I kind of had a theme going, I had a Robot armor shop for Burn/Pen, an Animal armor shop for Imp/Cut/Stb and a Mayhem armor shop for rotating stock depending on what's going on at the time. My operation was now beginning to really take shape.

Right in front of the Robot Armor shop there was a small shop for sale, I had noticed the deed was in a shopkeeper with a price on it. One day, when I kind of had all my shops how I wanted them to be, I started to think about how best to grow further and started to think about buying this small one, I thought maybe I could use it to put Electric protection in there, would make sense since it's right in front of the Robot Armor shop and some robots do Electric damage. I was slowly building up my ped card that week to buy it and was thinking;: in a few days I think I'll be able to buy it. One day I noticed someone lurking around, checking it out, going into the shop next door where the deed was... I thought; Oh crap, he's thinking about buying it, I better do this now.. I quickly went to the TT and sold about 2k ped worth of Polaris armor and a couple thousand ped of oils or something, then went back to buy the Deed and it was gone! Gahhhh! The guy had bought it and was already setting it up! I was so pissed! I just missed it by like 1 minute!!!

So anyway since I had all this ped now I decided to go ahead and buy additional item points for the 3 large shops I did have. If I recall, I believe I spent 8k ped to add 80 item points to my shops which brought my overall capacity to 600 item points...

There is still so much to tell but I've been working on this for several hours now and I don't even know if anyone cares really.. So let me all know if you want to hear the rest of the story and I'll gladly tell it :geek:

As a sneak peek into the conclusion, here's some chapter titles:

My love-hate relationship with Perseus (2019):

The competition with Genesis heats up (late 2019):

Large-scale overhauling of the 3 shops +new signs for damage types (end 2019):

And then.... After all this time, I finally get noticed (early 2020):

The 4th shop on the 2nd floor (early 2020):

Armor Tech Gizmos to the rescue (mid 2020):

Re-inventing the Mayhem Armor shop (mid 2020):

My 2nd largest purchase ever in Entropia (early 2021):

The future (2021 and beyond):

Let me know if you want me to continue the story!!!

Cheers,
Legends
Damn this needs its own thread, epic post Legends

(Note that I will abstain from airing out any dirty laundry in here. Of course there were confrontations and threats and other things, and although that could be very interesting to read about for some people, it wouldn't be fair to the ones mentioned as it would only be my side of the story, not the full story. So instead I will indeed do my best to provide interesting details about how things went for me, without speaking derogatorily of anyone.)

Was it 2010 or 2011? I can't remember now... Anyway. I read about the new Calypso Land Deeds that MindArk had released into the auction. At the time I had some money I wanted to invest so I decided to depo 11k usd I think it was. Once the money landed on my ped card, it was too late to buy any CLDs on auction, they had all gone already. I found someone selling some on this forum and connected with them in game. I ended up paying 1100 ped each for my CLDs at the time, so I spent all my ped and bought 100 of them. Then I logged out for over 5 years (of course I logged in every few months to keep my account alive, but didn't play Entropia at all).

After having parked my Avatar for over 5 years, I found that I had almost 70k ped just sitting there in dividend payments (I actually had to contact support to find it cause I didn't know about the PED Flow Center at the time, it was new since the CLDs had come out lol). I wasn't really sure what to do with all the ped but since the investment had been so successful, I knew I wanted to reinvest the money into the game, except this time, I wanted to play a more active role in the game, do something that contributes to it and actively earn ped as opposed to passively earning it. At the time, Land Plots were just being introduced and I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity so I paid almost 500% for the Composite Planks on the auction (crazy right?) and secured a Medium Land Plot at Livas Heights. This, by far, is the one purchase I regret the most in Entropia today, I didn't realize back then that 6 freakin' years later, I'd still be sitting here begging MindArk to develop them further... Oh right, I promised I wasn't going to speak derogatorily of anyone, ooops.

The first shop I bought was from @morey in January of 2017. He was advertising it on this forum and it's what got me to actually travel to RT for the first time ever. morey met with me there and told me about the places of interest on Rocktropia, how to join the various chat channels, etc... The place was busy, there were people talking in chat, people at Lagoon crafting and trading, I liked it. I traded a few CLDs for his shopping booth at the landing spot without even doing any research at all into what it's actually worth, looking back I'm glad I was dealing with someone that was honest and fair. I experimented with selling different things there, At first I put a bunch of furniture in there cause that's what I had a lot of in storage lol. Wow to look back how I started, so funny. morey had offered to sell me all of his shop inventory really cheap but I had declined at first. After the first week and not selling anything, I contacted morey and asked him if he still had that shop inventory and bought it all from him (mostly just hunting gear). I think I spent about 6k ped in all, back then I thought that was a lot of ped but I wanted to learn to make shops work so I splurged.

The 2nd shop I bought was at Tangerine (a guy named Swampy_monster I think...). This one had a lot more item points in it. Wasn't really sure what to do with it at first but one day I had a revelation: All these years I had been collecting armors (really since 2007), it was the one thing I really enjoyed doing, so I thought "well hey, I'm already passionate about armors, why not bring this passion into my shops, why not create an awesome armor shop!" And that's how my very first Armor shop was born, on RT of all places.

One day, also in 2017, some people on RT had been talking about Monria and one guy was trying to sell his shop there so I went to have a look. When I got there I went hunting in the caves and really enjoyed it. I checked out this guy's shop (@Leland). The shop itself was pretty cool, they are on 2 levels over there and have these huge windows, I thought I definitely could have some fun making a really cool shop there. Another thing I had noticed was that the damage types for the 4 mobs on Monria were not all known in the wiki, so I could already see myself figuring that out and making a shop that was specifically geared for those mobs. Only thing I wasn't sure about was the price of the shop. I asked another shop owner his opinion on value and realized this guy was asking way too much. So in my mind I came up with what I thought would be a fair price and made an offer which was I think about 4k ped less then what he was asking. I thought he was probably going to turn it down and was prepared to walk away from it but he accepted. So I flew back to Monria, bought the shop and got to work.

I figured out the damage types for the other 2 mobs on Monria (there and there) and created signs that told you what the exact damage was for each mob (except the shoggoth cause most people just hunted it naked or with noob armor anyway). Spent quite a bit of time researching all the armors and plates that would be the most helpful and found that all the more useful armor plates were RT dragon plates. For example for the Cultist, the absolute most useful plate was the Joplin Dragon plate. The Hendrix dragon plate was also very useful. For Shubs, the absolute best plate was the Neverdie dragon plate. So I kept looking on the auction for mats to make them and kept asking around if anyone had any dragon parts but to no avail. To make matters worse at the time, the loot on RT was all messed up and dozens upon dozens of items were no longer dropping since loot 2.0 had been released and that included a lot of dragon parts. Long story short I did find some small quantities of mats, and I also found someone that had some left over that was willing to craft some plates for me. So for a while I did have those plates in stock at the shop and I'm pretty sure that in all of EU, this was indeed the only place you could buy Joplin plates. So anyway at some point I had all these awesome plates, I had Joplin plates and Neverdie plates in the shop but sales were very rare. Every once in a while someone would say something about prices being too high or something, so the plates just sat there, no takers. I reviewed my prices and lowered them a bit, hoping that someone would recognize the value in those plates. Then one day, someone came and bought the set of Joplin plates and re-listed them on the Caly auction for about 30% more markup... This was really heart-breaking; all this time and effort spent to try to be of service only to see your hard work go completely unappreciated and wasted frankly.

Around that time I began to think about moving my operation to Calypso. I thought: I bet if I was on Calypso I'd have more exposure and my efforts would end up being appreciated more. I was also beginning to realize that most people who go to Monria with a plan to hunt any particular mob is already bringing the armor they need with them, they're not relying on anything being available locally. And the persistent Monria community is actually very small, I think my biggest customer in all my time on Monria was actually DME, the community manager (hard to be sure cause you actually can't see who bought what in your sales notifications over there, some bug with it that MA still hasn't gotten around to fixing after all these years... ooops did it again.. Sorry!). So it became more and more clear that if I wanted to succeed long-term, I had to be on Calypso.

Merry Mayhem was coming up so I decided I would test the waters. I used my Medium Land Plot at Livas heights that has 2 snugs on it and placed 4 shop keepers full of armors in each snug. I had to pretty much rob my RT and Monria shops of shop keepers and all the best armors for this but I had to make this worthwhile so I did. I advertised it like crazy in game during that time to see if I could generate a decent amount of sales. In the end, it wasn't great, but it was better then all the sales on Monria and RT combined so I decided I had to have my main operation on Caly.

Twin Peaks mall (Spring 2018):
I was really getting tired of these shops that were hard to find and that I had to do a ton of promotion in order to even get anybody to come visit so from that point forward, I had decided the only shops I ever want to own are shops that are in the most desirable places, that have the bonus of being randomly visited, I wanted to free up all this advertising time to focus on other things like getting new inventory, crafting, making improvements, etc... So the first thing that came to mind was Twin Peaks mall, it was the obvious choice.

I bought my first shop at Twin Peaks mall in the Spring of 2018 which was the one where the Robot Armor shop currently is. I bought it from a guy in the UK that was selling out. Then only a couple of months later I secured a deal on the large enhancer shop that used to be where the Mutant Armor shop is. Both of these I bought with CLDs and some ped to make up the difference. Around that time I sold my shop at Tangerine but I wasn't ready to give up on Monria yet after all the time and effort I had invested into it.

For a while I just had 2 shops at Twin Peaks mall. They both only had 150 item points indoor at the time and 10 points in the display areas. It was really difficult to decide what to offer in each shop. The best thing I could figure out to do was to have a rotating stock in one of them and keep the other one as the Robot Armor shop. So depending on the time of year the large shop closest to the Televator would either be called the Mayhem Armor shop, or the Migration Armor shop and be stocked accordingly with suitable armors and plates. But that meant I had to strip everything down 4 times a year and re-stock it completely with different armors and plates. It was very time consuming but this was a stage at which I was struggling so I felt that time was one of the commodities which I had and could leverage, so I just went along with that plan for a while. If you go back through my early posts in my Animal Armor shop thread for example you can see that I was calling it the Migration Armor shop back then. So I had 3 shop threads: Robot, Mayhem and Migration, but only 2 shops.

Another interesting aspect of this that should be noted here is that at the time, my Manufacture armor skills were pretty low, I couldn't even craft Zombie armor. When I first started creating armor shops, the Tech Gizmos didn't exist so the only way to skill up Armor Crafting was by making actual armors. I had often felt overwhelmed with this whole scheme I had, I felt it would just never be possible for me to catch up on that and be able to craft the uber armors since it was extremely difficult to sell the lower level armors with the recent changes MA had made to how armors decay in loot 2.0 (basically no penalty anymore for being protected inadequately so most hunters just used Perseus for everything, which I couldn't make). Things were not looking great for me and what I was trying to accomplish, sometimes I felt like I was probably just wasting my time since there was just no way I could ever compete with better established armor providers.. I'm not going to say I felt despair, but I definitely felt overwhelmed and felt like the odds were just not stacked in my favor at all. When Tech Gizmos came out in the Fall of 2017, I experimented with it a bit but the losses were just so large that I couldn't see it as a sensible means of skilling up at the time.

The competition with Genesis begins (Fall 2018):
Obviously lol, the elephant in the room that no-one is talking about... It's so funny that to this day people contact me sometimes and pretend like I don't know that Genesis exists. Of course I know it's there, I discovered @Drakil's operation back in 2017 when I just opened my first armor shop in Tangerine. When I opened my Armor shop on Monria I even messaged @Auktuma hoping he could help supply me with some crafted armor plates. In the end that never happened but I was in awe of what they had over there and in some way was thinking to myself: Yep, that's the sort of operation I could see myself creating in the long-run.

One quick side note about Genesis, which I think might be somewhat insightful for people and help you understand what formed the concept for my Armor shops early on: Auktuma makes all of these armors for the Genesis armor shop, he is the uber Armor crafter in the game and this operation at Genesis is in my opinion primarily aimed at selling crafted armors. I don't think this is a secret, in fact, on the first post of his shop thread I think Drakil says specifically that he is working with Auktuma. So anyways there's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's very much needed and very much appreciated by the community. However, I think that this Armor shop concept is going to be a bit conflicted internally. What I mean by this is that for example, it serves them to only have a few parts of Rutuba on hand; why would anyone buy the Rutuba if there's only 3 parts available at 160% when next door you have a full set of Perseus at 145%? So I thought this internal conflict between looted and crafted armors is not likely to go away anytime soon and I felt like that was something that could play in my favor because in contrast, my aim was just to be able to offer all the best stuff, whether it's looted, crafted, upgraded, mined, limited, unlimited, I don't care. So instead of just throwing in the towel before even getting started, I realized I can cut myself a portion of the market, it's possible to compete and I can succeed with this. The key is just to have no bias, period, or, have the purest of bias; a bias towards the best armor options and nothing else. That would be the one thing I have that they don't have over there and which they might find hard to have even in the future (note that a lot has changed at Genesis since then and I will get into that later but that was my line of thinking back in 2018. Also note that the goal here is not to speak derogatorily of anyone or their shops, I just wish to convey to you what was going through my head at the time, that's all. They obviously have an amazing shop which to this day I still struggle to compete with).

But anyways, the one very obvious aspect which I had difficulty competing with at the very beginning was item points. If there ever was one thing that Genesis was doing that basically no one else could do was the shear volume; the abundance of the offering. Just overwhelming. I think at the time they had something like 70 shop keepers there, so that's 70 x 20 = 1400 item points of armors and armor plates. Now granted, in the looted armor room those shop keepers were not full, but still, what the heck was I supposed to do with just 320 item points? It was pretty obvious to me I was going to have to invest in more shops and more item points.

Back then, ped was a bit tight, shop keepers were only going up in price so I didn't really want to buy more of them... But one day I had an idea. I noticed that on the 2nd floor of Twin Peaks mall, @Buzz Lightyear and @Kikki Jikki both had large shops. I also knew that both of these guys also had an Armor shop somewhere else; Buzz had an Armor shop on the 3rd floor and Kikki Jikki had an Armor shop at Emerald Lakes mall. So I thought if I can get these guys to move both their Armor shops here to the 2nd floor, maybe together we can compete with Genesis because together we could get closer to 1k item points. At that stage, the 2nd floor would become a much more interesting place to visit if you're looking for Armor. Was even pondering catchy names to call the 2nd floor of Twin Peaks mall like for example: Armor Alley or Armor Row...

I sent both of those guys private messages in game telling them about my idea, asking them if they could move their Armor shops to the 2nd floor, even promised them to do free advertising for all 3 of us if they did. Buzz said he would think about it but he never did move his shops around. I think in the end it's just a huge endeavor and I think he probably just didn't think it would be worth doing. Kikki Jikki declined, said he was trying to sell out and so in the end I made an offer on his shop and he accepted, which effectively added some 200 more item points to my operation.

Growth, growth and more growth (early 2019):
I spent about a week figuring out what to do with this new shop and what to call it. In the end I just stayed with the Migration Armor shop name since I already had a thread here on PCF and a concept. I loaded it with some armors and plates I already had. It looked terrible at first; was just a couple of Tron displays in the middle with a bunch of armor hanging from them. Sales were very poor; really few sales. One day I decided it just didn't make sense to call it the Migration Armor shop since migration only lasts a couple months each year, so I messaged a moderator on PCF and asked to have the thread name changed to Animal Armor shop (this was before they updated the forum, now I can just change the thread title myself but back then you couldn't). It made sense, after all, I already had a shop called the Robot Armor shop which was doing pretty well right across from it, so I thought for those that don't hunt bots, here's an Animal Armor shop. So now I kind of had a theme going, I had a Robot armor shop for Burn/Pen, an Animal armor shop for Imp/Cut/Stb and a Mayhem armor shop for rotating stock depending on what's going on at the time. My operation was now beginning to really take shape.

Right in front of the Robot Armor shop there was a small shop for sale, I had noticed the deed was in a shopkeeper with a price on it. One day, when I kind of had all my shops how I wanted them to be, I started to think about how best to grow further and started to think about buying this small one, I thought maybe I could use it to put Electric protection in there, would make sense since it's right in front of the Robot Armor shop and some robots do Electric damage. I was slowly building up my ped card that week to buy it and was thinking;: in a few days I think I'll be able to buy it. One day I noticed someone lurking around, checking it out, going into the shop next door where the deed was... I thought; Oh crap, he's thinking about buying it, I better do this now.. I quickly went to the TT and sold about 2k ped worth of Polaris armor and a couple thousand ped of oils or something, then went back to buy the Deed and it was gone! Gahhhh! The guy had bought it and was already setting it up! I was so pissed! I just missed it by like 1 minute!!!

So anyway since I had all this ped now I decided to go ahead and buy additional item points for the 3 large shops I did have. If I recall, I believe I spent 8k ped to add 80 item points to my shops which brought my overall capacity to 600 item points...

There is still so much to tell but I've been working on this for several hours now and I don't even know if anyone cares really.. So let me all know if you want to hear the rest of the story and I'll gladly tell it :geek:

As a sneak peek into the conclusion, here's some chapter titles:

My love-hate relationship with Perseus (2019):

The competition with Genesis heats up (late 2019):

Large-scale overhauling of the 3 shops +new signs for damage types (end 2019):

And then.... After all this time, I finally get noticed (early 2020):

The 4th shop on the 2nd floor (early 2020):

Armor Tech Gizmos to the rescue (mid 2020):

Re-inventing the Mayhem Armor shop (mid 2020):

My 2nd largest purchase ever in Entropia (early 2021):

The future (2021 and beyond):

Let me know if you want me to continue the story!!!

Cheers,
Legends

Your shops and your story are 'legendary! Give us the rest!! Love it! ?

Legendary!

This awesome and very well written. Please give us more !!!! :)
Love this, please post the rest?
Your shops and your story are 'legendary! Give us the rest!! Love it! ?
Legendary!

I really appreciate you all indulging me with this little pleasure of telling this story :shower:

I've been busy these last couple of days but I will definitely be working on it this week-end!

Cheers,
Legends

Remembering all of the little details like for example when I bought things, who sold it to me and what I was thinking at the time and so on and so forth, is not always that easy at first. Over the week-end, as I was re-reading Part 1 above, more and more came to me and so I felt I had to go back and re-write entire sections, put certain things back into the correct sequence or add entire events which I had originally omitted.

Since it has become a lot longer than it was originally, I decided to split it up into various parts so I have called that one Part 1 now. You may wish to re-read it even if you had read the original one previously as I have added a lot more interesting details, for example how I actually discovered Entropia in 2006 and how the Mayhem Armor shop actually was born.

I also spent a bit of time thinking about this:

I wondered if I should just start a new thread for this, and if I did, which forum would I put it in and what would I call it...?

If I was to put it in Achievements, which might be the most logical place to put it, what would the actual Achievement be? What have I actually achieved? I don't think there's anything I can claim to have fully achieved yet. My goal over the last couple of years has been to create the #1 Armor shop in the game but I think it's too early for that still, I think more than a few people would rush to protest that claim if I was to make it right now. The only thing I could claim is that I'm the first one to ever even come close to actually being able to compete with Genesis, but that's just an abstract concept, not an actual accomplishment.

Trading >> Shops wouldn't really be the right place I don't think

Property >> Estates kinda makes sense but we already have this thread...

So I guess I'll just continue here in this thread for now. I'll put links eventually so that people finding this for the first time can just jump from Part 1 to Part 2 and Part 3, etc... without having to search for these or read the entire thread. I think it'll be fine. (Here's a link back to Part 1 in case you haven't read it yet.)

Speaking of which I have Part 2 almost ready, one of the things I'm trying to do right now is find some old screenshots I can add to show some of the things I'm talking about in the story. That would help make the story a bit easier to follow as I find it to be quite a dry read atm.

Anyway I should have Part 2 posted in a day or 2 so keep an eye out for that :)

Cheers,
Legends

⏮ Go Read Part 1

⭐ The Evolution of a Shop idea - Part 2 ⭐

Twin Peaks mall (early 2018):
By now I was really getting tired of these shops that were hard to find and that I had to do a ton of advertising for in order to even get anybody to come visit, so all of my experience so far as a shop owner told me the only shops I ever want to own from now on are shops that are in the most desirable places which have the bonus of being randomly visited by players. This not only would ensure I got maximum exposure at all times, but it would also free up some of the time that was tied up into advertising my shops, which would mean I would be able to focus more on other things like getting new inventory, crafting, making improvements, etc... So the first thing that came to mind was Twin Peaks mall, it was the obvious first choice. Around that time I sold my shop at Tangerine but I wasn't ready to give up on Monria yet after all the time and effort I had invested into it.

While visiting the shops at Twin Peaks mall previously I had noticed this one shop on the 2nd floor that was completely empty except for one small sign that read: "This shop is for sale". So now that I was ready to actually buy a shop on Calypso, I messaged the owner but didn't hear from him for a while. Finally, a few weeks later I got a message back where he told me that yes it was for sale, told me how much he paid for it and asked me to make an offer. I asked him if he would accept the same amount he paid and he replied that, like any other normal human being, was hoping to make a profit from the sale. I answered back offering to pay 2k more ped for it than he had and he accepted.

I was out of town on a job back then and didn’t have much time for Entropia so initially I just filled it up with some armor I had in my carried inventory. Pretty quickly I had the concept to create a shop that would focus on Burn/Pen armors for hunting robots, but I needed to take a good look at all of the armors in the game and figure out what all of the best ones for Burn/Pen protection were. I had some downtime at some point that winter and started working on a spreadsheet that would plot all of the armors in game on a grid and show me visually how all of the armors in the game compared to one another. I put Burn on one side and Penetration on the other and just started populating the grid. It took a long time to go through every single armor but at the end of the week I had finished 2 of these grids and was beginning to have a very clear picture of the scope of armors in Entropia.

The Robot Armor shop is born (Spring 2018):
When my contract ended at the end of May, I finally had more free time so when I got home I got to work on this new Robot Armor shop. My first instinct was that I should upload this new grid I had made into a Gigantum sign and have it displayed in the shop so people could consult it. Since I wanted my shop to be more than just a place where someone could buy armor, I thought this would be a great way to make people’s visit worthwhile and memorable.

Unfortunately I searched and searched but could not find any Gigantum Sign (PC) anywhere. I had the idea to just split the grid into 2 and use 2 MegaView Signs (PC) since I did have some of those. If I remember correctly, I’m pretty sure I just used the windows ‘Snipping Tool’ to capture a portion of the screen and then edited the resulting image in either Paint or Gimp for correct dimensions. The first one I uploaded worked but the second one was in the wrong orientation somehow. I was so pissed. I had just paid over 100 ped to upload it and it was unusable. I put in a support case asking MA to help me with this. A few minutes later I took another look at the image file on my computer to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. I rotated the image 90 degrees and decided to try again, maybe I’ll get lucky and it’ll actually work this time. Nope.. Another 100 ped wasted! I was so damn pissed, I went and updated the support case I had just created. I was hoping MA would either help with this or at least refund me the ped I had spent for these failed uploads. I never heard back from them. To this day I believe the support case is still open. Anyway I didn’t want to waste anymore ped on this so I just gave up on the idea, the resolution of the final image was not as good as I had expected for a 2048x4096 pixels image and that made some of the smaller text in the grid a bit hard to decipher. This was my first time experimenting with Participant Content and I was very disappointed to say the least.

index.php

I took this screenshot at the time to send to MindArk with the support case I had submitted. You can see that the left side
isn't showing up in the correct orientation on the MegaView which causes it to become all squished and unreadable.

Around the same time as I was working on making my Robot Armor shop as nice as I possibly could, I secured a deal on the large enhancer shop that was near the Televator, also on the 2nd floor of Twin Peaks mall.

The Migration Armor shop is born (May 2018):
In the immediate, what was going on in EU was Migration, so I decided to call my 2nd shop at Twin Peaks mall the Migration Armor shop. I created a shop thread on PCF called 'Migration Armor shop' where I put a bunch of screenshots of it and listed all that was for sale there so people could see whether it was worth it for them to actually visit or not. In an effort to somehow create even more exposure for my Migration Armor shop, I created this guide to show people all of the possible armor setups for hunting Eomon and Longtooth. The first list I posted was pretty short and I got crucified for it. If you scroll down and read some of the comments, Wizz and NPV in particular really beat up on me saying my recommendations were crap and my thread was useless... Of course it hurt my feelings, I was investing a lot of time making it and the goal was to help people and create a bit more exposure for my Migration Armor shop but now it seemed like the opposite is what might end up happening. Still, I persevered and continued improving the list of possible armor setups. The list became massive, I color-coded the recommendations based on whether they were 'under-protecting', 'balanced' or 'over-protecting'. Eventually the criticism stopped. In the end I have no idea if anyone ever found out about my Migration Armor shop that way, I don't remember the sales having increased so it's possible that very few did.

In the final analysis though, this was a very important exercise for me to actually do as it forced me to look at the defense stats of every single armor and armor plate in the game, again, and start to play around with various combinations to see what was achievable. This showed me what armor setups actually made sense to use for Longtooth and Eomon and in turn, that told me what I should try to have in stock at the shop.

index.php

The front of the Migration Armor shop when I first opened it in mid-2018

Early concept for 2nd floor (May 2018):
One of the things I was acutely aware of was the fact that a lot of shops in the malls had gone completely inactive over the years. Most of them had been neglected and had very few or no items on offer inside of them. The perception in the community was that mall shops were a waste of time to visit.

Now that I had just gotten these 2 large shops I wanted to hit the ground running so I brainstormed to try to come up with a strategy to drum up some foot traffic. I was also very much aware of the fact that from this point forward I was now going to be in direct competition with the armor shop at Genesis so I had to be clever. I only had 320 item points to work with while they had something like 1400 (they had I think like 70 shop keepers in all at the time).

Unfortunately ped was a bit tight, shop keepers were only going up in price so I didn't really want to buy more of them... But one day I had an idea. I noticed that on the 2nd floor of Twin Peaks mall, @Buzz Erik Lightyear and @Kikki Jikki both had large shops. I also knew that both of these guys also had an Armor shop somewhere else; Buzz had an Armor shop on the 3rd floor and Kikki Jikki had an Armor shop at Emerald Lakes mall. So I thought if I can get these guys to move both their Armor shops here to the 2nd floor, maybe together we can compete with Genesis because together we could get closer to 1k item points. At that stage, the 2nd floor would become a much more interesting place to visit if you're looking for Armor. Was even pondering catchy names to call the 2nd floor of Twin Peaks mall like for example: Armor Alley or Armor Row…

I sent both of those guys private messages in game telling them about my idea, asking them if they could move their Armor shops to the 2nd floor, even promised them to do free advertising for all 3 of us if they did. Buzz said he would think about it but he never did move his shops around. I think in the end it's just a huge endeavor and he probably didn't think it would be worth doing, and Kikki Jikki never replied back, so I was on my own.

My love-hate relationship with Perseus (summer 2018):
One thing that became very clear from making the thread of recommended armor setups for Migration was that I could not call my shop the Migration Armor shop and not have Perseus there, as this was the strongest armor in the game against Eomon. Obviously, I didn’t have those blueprints, and even if I did have them, I wouldn’t be able to craft it because my Armor Engineer profession level was still way too low. Auktuma had already declined previously to supply me with anything crafted when I had contacted him after opening my Monria Armor shop, SoReal didn’t have the Perseus blueprints and I didn’t really know any other armor crafters in the game so I did the only thing I could think of and went to the auction to see who was listing Perseus. I contacted 1 of those people asking if they would be open to supplying me with Perseus and we came to an arrangement. For a while I would buy 3 or 4 sets of Perseus at a time from this person and would be able to offer it in the shop at pretty much the same price that Genesis did and make a couple percent profit on it still.

But by this time I'm also beginning to realize what all the Loot 2.0 armor changes actually mean for me and the growth of my armor business. Since hunters weren't paying extra anymore for being inadequately protected, a lot of them just turned to uber armors like Perseus for all their hunting. Lower level armors that used to have a reason to exist such as Orca and Serum no longer had any appeal; why would anyone buy a set of low level or specialized armor like Orca, Serum or even eMINE for around 145% when for the same markup they can buy a set of Perseus and hunt almost any mob in the game with it? And if I can’t move (sell) those lower level armors, how in the hell was I going to skill up my Armor Engineer profession? Often I felt overwhelmed with this whole vision I had, what I wanted to create long-term; I felt it would just never be possible for me to catch up on that end of it and for me to be able to craft the uber armors one day. Things were not looking great for me and what I was trying to accomplish, sometimes I felt like I was probably just wasting my time since there was just no way I could ever compete with better established armor providers.. I'm not going to say I felt despair, but I definitely felt overwhelmed and felt like the odds were just not stacked in my favor at all.

So for the time being, I decided the only thing I could do was to let the crafters craft it and supply me with the crafted armors I needed. I thought that made sense and maybe that had been what MA had intended all along, i.e. everyone has their role and that’s the way it should be. I was a shop owner and my role was to create an outlet where those items would be made available to the players that needed them, so that’s what I did. In other words I decided to forget about crafting my own armor and accepted the fact that I was going to have to just rely on crafters for it.

The switch from Migration to Mayhem Armor shop (Sept 2018):
When Migration was over it no longer made any sense to call that 2nd shop the Migration Armor shop so I decided to bring back the Merry Mayhem Armor shop. What was coming up was Halloween Mayhem so I did some research on that and did the best I could to stock the shop with armors and plates that made sense for it. I was going to revive my old Merry Mayhem Armor shop thread in PCF but it had ‘Livas #10’ in the title and upon reflection, I had decided to drop the ‘Merry’ out so I wouldn’t have to change the name before every Mayhem event.

For a while I just had those 2 shops at Twin Peaks mall. They both only had 150 item points indoor at the time and 10 points in the display areas. It was really difficult to decide what to offer in each shop. The best thing I could figure out to do was to have a rotating stock in one of them and keep the other one as the Robot Armor shop. So the plan was to have the large shop closest to the Televator would either be called the Mayhem Armor shop, or the Migration Armor shop and be stocked accordingly with suitable protection. But that meant I had to strip everything down 4 times a year and re-stock it completely with different armors and plates. It was very time consuming but this was a stage at which I was struggling so I felt that time was one of the commodities which I had and could leverage, so I just went along with that plan for a while.

By that time I've got a bit of a network of shops and find myself continuously travelling between Calypso >> Monria >> Rocktropia and then back to Calypso. This is happening every week at least, most of the time, about twice per week and sometimes more. I always just flew in my Quad for this, I felt I had to save the funds for growth. Shops at the RT landing spot were particularly good at the time since RT had a pretty decent persistent community and the location of my booths was ideal.

The competition with Genesis (2018-2019):
The very first time I discovered @Drakil's operation was back in 2017 when I had just opened my first armor shop in Tangerine. I have to admit, I was very impressed, the sheer volume, the abundance of Armor was something to behold. Seeing as I was mainly focusing on offering looted Armor options at the time at my shop, naturally I compared his prices on looted armor parts with mine. The first thing that struck me was that for most of these, you just couldn’t buy a full set because he was missing several parts. Even worse, for the more desirable armors only 2 or 3 parts were available. I thought I definitely could do better than that and realized at that moment that this was how I had to distinguish myself from him; by striving to always have full sets available. You can see this if you go back to the screenshots of the original Merry Mayhem armor shop for example, all those sets are full sets; both the male and female Rutuba are full sets, the Shadow, even the Moonshine (not an easy one to find), so I’m not just saying this, I really worked hard on this, still to this day I think this played an important role in getting people to visit my shop as well when looking for armor, not just Genesis.

Another thing that I should probably note here in passing is that when I left Genesis after that first visit in 2017, I was not discouraged at all. Another person could have just simply given up on creating an armor business right there after seeing this, not me. The more I browsed and the more I realized that all of the crafted stuff was very well stocked but the looted stuff, not so much. I remembered that in his shop thread, Drakil had stated that he was working with @Auktuma, the uber Armor crafter in the game, and that’s when I realized that this operation at Genesis was primarily aimed at selling people crafted armors. Which is fine, there's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's very much needed and very much appreciated by the community. However this bias they naturally had towards the crafted options was a weakness that perhaps could end up working in my favor.

What I mean is for example, it serves them to only have a few parts of Rutuba on hand; why would anyone buy the Rutuba if there's only 3 parts available at 160% when next door you have a full set of Perseus at 145%? So I thought this conflict of interest between looted and crafted armors is not likely to go away anytime soon. My aim had to be, right from day one, to just have on offer all the best stuff, whether it's looted, crafted, upgraded, mined, limited, unlimited, I don't care. So instead of just throwing in the towel before even getting started, I realized I actually can cut myself a portion of the market, it is possible to compete and I can succeed with this. The key is just to have no bias, period.

I’m not just saying this here to try and put down my competitor, those that have been around long enough know that what I’m saying is true. The biggest testament to this is that even though Auk always had all the blueprints for unlimited Ghost, Phantom and Ghoul, for several years these were not being offered at Genesis. Why not?

When I showed up at Twin Peaks mall in 2018, it wasn’t long before I started offering some of the best unlimited armor options like for example, Mah’ketta, Adjusted Vigilante and Adjusted Nemesis for robots, as well as Ghost and Gremlin for other mobs, whenever I could get my hands on it. I tried to find other ways to distinguish myself from Genesis like for example by offering armors which they just didn't have there like Moonshine and Jarhead. I kept my nose to the grindstone, spent 4k ped to add 40 item points for my 2 large shops, making my total 360 and just kept doing what I was doing.

It wasn’t until I started undercutting them slightly (~1%) on the high-end crafted armors like Pegasus and Perseus that they got crossed with me. I don’t wish to make this all about them but I think it’s an important part of the story. I learned at that time that if you’re going to step on some toes, you better get yourself a good pair of steel toe boots cause they’re going to stomp back hard on yours. When Drakil saw this he suddenly dropped his prices on Pegasus by about 12%, and his prices on Perseus by at least 5%. They were now selling both of these for less than what I was paying for them. I guess the good thing that came out of this is that the community could now buy these armors at Genesis cheaper than ever before, thanks to the pressure I was putting on them at the time (you’re welcome btw). But things only got worse for me when suddenly my Perseus supplier disappeared entirely (and was gone for well over a year altogether).

The Animal Armor shop is born (March 2019):
In March of 2019, a lucky break: Kikki Jikki posted a sales thread on PCF advertising that he is putting up his entire armor crafting and selling business for sale. The main thing I was interested in of course was his large shop on the 2nd floor of Twin Peaks mall (if he’d had a set of Perseus blueprints I would’ve made an offer on that too but sadly he did not). I contacted him in game and made an offer on the shop, which he outright accepted without any negotiations. We met on Calypso some days later and made the trade.

My initial instinct was to just revive the Migration Armor shop name since I already had a thread here on PCF and a concept. I loaded up the new shop with a bunch of Impact/Cut/Stab armor and armor plates I already had in my carried inventory. It looked terrible at first; was just a couple of Tron displays in the middle with a bunch of armor hanging from them. Sales were very poor; really few sales at first. One day I decided it just didn't make sense to call it the Migration Armor shop since migration only lasts a couple months each year and newer players wouldn't know what that is, so I messaged a moderator on PCF and asked to have the thread name changed to Animal Armor shop (in the old forum you couldn’t edit a thread title yourself). This made more sense, after all, I already had a shop called the Robot Armor shop which was doing pretty well right across from it, so I thought for those that don't hunt bots, here's an Animal Armor shop. So now I kind of had a theme going, I had a Robot armor shop for Burn/Pen, an Animal armor shop for Imp/Cut/Stb and a Mayhem armor shop for rotating stock depending on what's going on in Entropia at that time. I now had a total of 560 item points (+shop keepers) at my disposal and my operation was beginning to really take shape at this point.

To be continued...
⏮ Go back to Part 1

Last edited:
Great Part 2 of the Story Legends, waiting on the next instalment :)

Legends, I think you NEED to make those posts in an individual thread :)
:popcorn:
Yes! Absolutely! Just read part II tonight, and waiting on III! Sounds like quite the journey and determination to make your goals come to life. Love stuff like that.

Admin should make this a sticky thread like they did with Messi's story. This information is valuable to new and old players alike

These conversations really put a smile on my face at the time. There were many more than just these 3 but these are the only ones I actually have screenshots for:

index.php

index.php

index.php

If it wasn't for the random words of kindness from some of my customers/visitors, I'm not sure any of this would really be worth it, so thanks for taking some time out of your busy day to give me your positive feedback and for your words of encouragement, it means a lot to me :)

Cheers,
Legends

Prices in the first post are outdated now but I'm still getting a lot of positive feedback on my Armor shops at Twin Peaks mall, 2nd floor :)

A reseller. He is not looting such huge number of armors. There is full set of Vigi and Nemesis in his shop which is looted not crafted.

Back