WTF MA?! Names similar but you cant tell me which one?

True Juan

Marauder
Society
Cz-Sk Crows
True TJ Juan
I persuaded my brother to start playing EU. It took me some time so he started creating his avatar and when he wanted to give it a name THIS is what came up:

wtf.JPG

I was like. Oook. So we changed the name many times in each and every line and it was STILL similar. It took my brother a while to come up with the name that would suit him and he cant have it. Now he's just pissed and quit and just wont make an avie until he comes up with another name and gives it another try.
He wanted his name to be Tanya Exed Da Exorcist. I think if MA can tell whether a name is similar or not then they should also be able to point out WHICH one of the lines is the one we need to change cause its really a pain in the ass to change all 3 and get that damn message over and over again.

I think that this is a way to loose a lot of newcomers and MA should at least make the change I mentioned.

Any of you have similar experiences? :scratch2:

TJ :bandit:

er...you can have at least ONE name that is the same as other avatars so my guess is that the WHOLE name was too similar?

5 Years playing and I never seen or heard of this problem before :confused:

In general, I agree and it's really sad if people loose their patience and quit before they've even started.
But I personally never encountered a site on the Internet where you actually get to know what names that are similar - and you most surely can see the security reasons for this. The only thing I've encountered is that you're given automated generated alternatives of the name - but I doubt that would have been sufficient for your brother anyhow.

I can imagine it must have been annoying for him, it has happened on a few occasions myself - have you ever signed up to ebay? But to quit because he hasnt got the patience to create a name is astonishing by anyones standards. How long do you think he will last in EU if he cant even complete the signup process in one sitting?

5 Years playing and I never seen or heard of this problem before :confused:

That's 'cos you made your avatar 5 years ago :D

MA had to add security on name creation due to the ol' similarly named avatar scams that were taking place. Auktuma being one of the targets.

The name system needs a few improvements..no mention of how the name is similar, yet they allowed my name to have the word 'F*ck':D

Yup, I never heard of it. In a way this is good because high profile people could have imitations of them with similar names and etc, which could damage their reputation.

Kinda like ma have done this, 1 or 2 too many DJ's running about!

Although I guess it will prove a right pain in the a$$ for people signing up, do they mean exactly, or just 'similar'?

Guess people need to be more imaginative on finding a unique name.

:cool:

It seems the name you chose has "Da" in it. That is the name of a certain prominent oft-ubering avatar. One might say he is a real MindArk Darling. :laugh:

Although I guess it will prove a right pain in the a$$ for people signing up, do they mean exactly, or just 'similar'?

It means 'similar' although the definition of similar is a little fuzzy. I'm not sure how the comparison engine works, whether it understands things like replacing 'L' with the number 1 etc and throwing in white space (blank spaces) here and there.

Remembering, again, particularly the Auktuma clone where the clone's name was "Augis Auktuma Tumas_" where "_" was a space.

Kinda like ma have done this, 1 or 2 too many DJ's running about!

:cool:

Ey, don't knock 2 many DJ's...;)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0bc1aqi8F4[/YOUTUBE]

Reactions: dj.
The name system needs a few improvements..no mention of how the name is similar, yet they allowed my name to have the word 'F*ck'

lol, and my wife got locked and forced to change 'harry butt crack' lol...

anyhow there must have been more than just one similarity besides 'da' because i see lots of axe's and lots of butchers. would be nice if they stated what needed to change though.

I am with DJ on this - once i was the only Pinky (as far as I know), now i know of at least two others...(both of whom joined after me 2 years ago)

It's ironic that a while back people used to moan that MA shouldnt allow similar names as imposters were assuming name likes and scamming people. Now they fixed it and people moan about it... :D

I am with DJ on this - once i was the only Pinky (as far as I know), now i know of at least two others...(both of whom joined after me 2 years ago)

It's ironic that a while back people used to moan that MA shouldnt allow similar names as imposters were assuming name likes and scamming people. Now they fixed it and people moan about it... :D

Lol and I have seen Nighthawk with a big H (NightHawk), The Nighthawk, and stuff like that :rolleyes: but I think I'm the first Nighthawk? (signed up a loooong time ago lol) :D

I never really figured the idea of 3 names in the first place... why not just have one name? There are enough names in the world I imagine. most often the other two names are just a joke anyway.

When I tried to join over 2 years ago it took me ages to solve the exact same problem.

I agree, it would have helped if the system had actually told me which part of the name I was trying to use was at fault.

As it stands you just get an "error" message, with no indication as to where the error lies.

it would help if it was more specific.

Im not moaning about the fact that it wont let me, I'm talking about only using an ERROR message telling me to change it cause is is SIMILAR. I have no idea which part to change :scratch2: They should give me more clues not just CHANGE IT or go f**k yourself :laugh:

When I tried to join over 2 years ago it took me ages to solve the exact same problem.

I agree, it would have helped if the system had actually told me which part of the name I was trying to use was at fault.

As it stands you just get an "error" message, with no indication as to where the error lies.

it would help if it was more specific.

EXACTLY, what I'm talking about. ;)

Damn! My second Av was gonna be Harvest Deluxe :laugh: just kidding guys dont shoot me :( i would never make a second av either.

I seen another Harvest once and it scared me, basicly cause my name is almost unique and my fear was what if this guy sucks?!?! Every one will hate me! But luckly, to my knowledge, he never started sucking.
Im kinda split on this function, I mean really how does it work. I know some ppl play with their spouse or childeren and would seem a bit unfair if their names couldnt be a bit simular.

most often the other two names are just a joke anyway.

I like that part of it though, people come up with things like 'molton cauldron lava'/'Drop Kick Combo Hit Twelve --> or summat like that, word play, rhymes, similar meanings of each word/name., a sentence read, a quote heard (egg roll - $1, could have been 'bacon roll-£2')

ratae, returns again to attack enemy (cant even remember why i remember that, maybe i dreamt it lol) :laugh:

Seen lots of clever/funny/imaginative names, I find it interesting.

Sad bitch that I am, I used to keep a little book with my favourate names :laugh:

Lost it now however.

Although, because people do use just about every word in the dictionary to come up with a name (not all at once lol) it is going to be quite a challenge to find one that isnt 'similar'

and as a name nerd, I cant wait to see what people come up with.

:)

Im not moaning about the fact that it wont let me, I'm talking about only using an ERROR message telling me to change it cause is is SIMILAR. I have no idea which part to change :scratch2: They should give me more clues not just CHANGE IT or go f**k yourself :laugh

Sorry, perhaps "moaning" was too strong a word... I see what you mean about which part to change - yes, fraustrating, but i still prefer that to dozens of Pinky's! :D

I'm happy with my name; it's unique enough that anybody who would actually choose it would almost certainly be attempting to impersonate me. :)

Sorry, perhaps "moaning" was too strong a word... I see what you mean about which part to change - yes, fraustrating, but i still prefer that to dozens of Pinky's! :D

Well with a common word as pink i am not suprised than more use it.
I guess MA change to show all three names was to make it easier to make all avantars names more uniqe. A good solution would be to allove one of three names to be same, but not two of three.

but they allowed Jon Jacobs Alwaysdie, nothing similar to anything :D

Back