You CANNOT say Droid!!!

DrGirlfriend

Prowler
Banned
Sheila Dr Girlfriend
You guys are going to get sued!!!

You cannot use the word "Droid" That is owned by Lucas Arts (Disney) and they HAVE and WILL sue over the use of the word droid.

bOT8zx5.png

Please change this description asap...

Good catch

But did they…
Presumably. It would be really dumb considering that both MA and Ferrari are partners of Creative Kingdom. Creative Kingdom is a large company with a legal team.

Although they did change it a lot, it only very marginally resembles the Ferrari logo so who knows. Regardless Lucas Arts has a legal team looking for this shit (use of the term droid) and I just made it searchable on google... so it needs fixing now.

Last edited:
From https://www.quora.com/Is-the-word-Droid-copyrighted-by-Disney?share=1

Words cannot be copyrighted. If they could, it would be illegal to use that word in your question without permission of the copyright owner.

Words can be trademarked, which means that it is being used to identify your company or its products, in which case a competitor cannot use it to identify theirs.

Several companies have currently registered the word “Droid” as their trademark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Crossfade Design, LLC for air filtration and disinfection systems

Lucas Entertainment Company, for interactive entertainment software, toy action figures, and games

Lucasfilm Ltd. for audiovisual entertainment in the field of edutainment and entertainment via global computer networks, and for providing news and information programming in the field of edutainment and entertainment relating to motion picture films.

Lucasfilm Licensing for interactive entertainment software and CD-ROMs featuring science fiction.

Note that The Walt Disney Company itself (beyond its Lucasfilm subsidiary) does not own a trademark on the word “Droid”.
Edit: For some reason, the forum doesn't show the entire quote as entered, see the link for the list of companies involved.

Last edited:
It's not just the word, this is a droid in concept as well.

Also see this:

In the letter, Lucasfilm’s lawyers argued that Cooper’s use of “Addroid” would “dilute [Lucasfilm’s] famous DROID marks, resulting in their loss of fame and distinctiveness.”

Cooper was not convinced.

“I wrote back and said, ‘Dude, my only intention is to use this strictly for digital advertising,’” he recalls. “I sat down with my lawyer and wrote down every single word ever associated with digital advertising on piece of paper, then said, ‘This is the full scope of what I want to use these five letters for.”

Ultimately, the cease and desist letter was an effort on Lucasfilm’s part to avoid consumer confusion — the possibility that a Star Wars fan would stumble across Cooper’s domain and believe that he was in some sort of Lucas-related portal. But Cooper insisted that his company was not consumer-facing, nor had any intention to dupe people into purchasing Star Wars paraphernalia.

“My average customer is not going to be buying a $9 plastic lightsaber from me,” he retorted. “The idea that your Star Wars customers are going to get confused and are going to stumble upon my site, build a banner, and deploy it is ridiculous.”

The plea worked. Lucasfilm’s lawyers responded, offering a compromise: Cooper signed a “little piece of paper” agreeing not to make a video game, or anything else consumer-facing, and in return, he didn’t have to rename his company.

In retrospect, Cooper considers himself lucky. After all, he not only escaped the legal threats of Lucasfilm, but also those of tech behemoth Google, which has owned the trademark to the word “Android” since 2007, a few years after purchasing Palo Alto-based Android Inc. “Google probably would’ve had a case against me,” admits Cooper, “but I was lucky.” At the time, Google was embroiled in another trademark lawsuit: a Texan named Eric Specht, who had previously owned the Android trademark but lost it due to inactivity, had brought the company to court over its use. Specht eventually lost.

It is this very inactivity that Lucasfilms has tried to avoid, reiterates Cooper. “If you’re a hammer, everything looks like a nail,” he says. “If you’re George Lucas’ lawyer, you’re like, ‘Dude, I don’t care what’s in front of droid in your brand name. You can say whatever the hell you want, but that’s mine. I own those 5 letters.’”

Last I checked, this droid is a DROID as in robot, and is in a video game, and is SCIFI.

This is copyright breach in every sense of it

Even your quote says so sans:

- Lucas Entertainment Company, for interactive entertainment software, toy action figures, and games
- Lucasfilm Ltd. for audiovisual entertainment in the field of edutainment and entertainment via global computer networks, and for providing news and information programming in the field of edutainment and entertainment relating to motion picture films.

I am sure MA wants to avoid future copyright lawsuits after just finishing one...

Remove the use of the word droid, that smuggler droid isn't even an android... Just call it a robot.

and i though there was enough spam topics on forum this morning xD
It is a mad, mad world. A warning too many probably doesn't hurt. 'Spam' is a trademark, by the way.

So my an(droid) Phone is owned by Lucas arts ?
Then they own the greek Word too .. since the origin of droid comes from Android->androīdēs->ἀνδρος that actualy Translate into "man/ manlike"

Since "second entity" is the name of the Android (short droid) i see no Issue @ all
Mindark does not use droids they use Robots

But yes its a typo and makes stuff for shure easyer when they fix the typo from droid into AnDroid

Then they own the greek Word too .. since the origin of droid comes from Android->androīdēs->ἀνδρος that actualy Translate into "man/ manlike"

Since "second entity" is the name of the Android (short droid) i see no Issue @ all

But yes its a typo and makes stuff for shure easyer when they fix the typo from droid into AnDroid
They pay a license fee to use that name actually yes.

Android is not trademarked by Lucas Arts but "Droid" is. It's really silly but it's best to just avoid using that word.

The Smuggler stuff is Arkadia Studios, not MA. Whether anyone in development up to final approval for release into the game was aware of this is another question, but Ark would be responsible for changing it if really needed. If you want to alert the company of possible issues, you need to direct it to the respective planet partner. Or file a support case, they will forward it. Better than spreading panic on forums anyway, unless it's something that was reported previously but to no avail.

Does this mean Google needs to pay Disney for its operating system, An-droid?

Like I said, they do in fact pay them a license fee to use the name droid if you look it up, or at least did when they were called droid before they changed to android.

How does that work? wiki says [the term droid] was coined by the American science fiction author Mari Wolf (born 1927) in the story “Robots of the World! Arise!” (1952). Seems weird someone can claim ownership to a word used as shorthand of androids. It's not like it's a brand name Lucas Arts came up with.

In September 2008 — nearly 31 years after the premier of Star Wars — George Lucas’ parent company, Lucasfilm, trademarked the word “droid”. The filing, shown above, was granted in May of 2009, and claimed exclusive use of the term for the following applications:

“Wireless communications devices, including, mobile phones, cell phones, hand-held devices and personal digital assistants, accessories and parts therefor, and related computer software and wireless telecommunications programs; mobile digital electronic devices for the sending and receiving of telephone calls, electronic mail, and other digital data, for use as a digital format audio player, and for use as a handheld computer, electronic organizer, electronic notepad, and digital camera; downloadable ringtones and screensavers; cameras, pagers & calling cards.”

DisneyLAnd

nice catch gf

No, two different trademarks:

You guys are going to get sued!!!

You cannot use the word "Droid" That is owned by Lucas Arts (Disney) and they HAVE and WILL sue over the use of the word droid.

Please change this description asap...

I just wanted to say there is an other game i play and it uses the name of "droid" for robots, and some of them even looks like R2-D2, but than i realized its the Star Wars Old Republic, so maybe not a good example.

Individual words are not protected by copyright. Writing that person X is being chased by “droids” would be copyright infringement only if it seemed that those droids were specific Star Wars characters (BB-8, C-3PO, R2-D2, etc.)

Individual words are not protected by copyright. Writing that person X is being chased by “droids” would be copyright infringement only if it seemed that those droids were specific Star Wars characters (BB-8, C-3PO, R2-D2, etc.)
There’s more than a word in use here, it’s a word describing a robot in a sci-fi video game, and that is protected

There’s more than a word in use here, it’s a word describing a robot in a sci-fi video game, and that is protected
But it’s not tho IF the likeness of R2-D2 or one of the Lukas art “droids” was in the game it would be a different story but they are not

Back