Yubikey x = 2fa hw-based successor of GC?

IvoL

Dominant
Society
Natural Born Killers
Peregrine IvoL Falcon
Having been inspired by Atrax's very good post explaining that Google (and perhaps also other) 3rd-party authenticator-apps work and are fully compatible with PE, I immediately became curious after reading somewhere about the Ubikey.
It comes in various flavours & shapes, and offer several industry-standard types of 2fa.

If google (and other) 2fa-apps work with PE, could that mean that a Ubikey (or similar) may also work?
MA will probably never realease a statement on this since they want us to use their awesome authenticator app of course.

A quick search on PCF only yielded a few mentions of Ubikeys in the GC-Announcement-thread, but I did not find anyone that posted their experience trying to set up a Ubikey-type product as authenticator-token.
Does anybody have any experience with Ubikey or similar in combination with PE?

It could potentially offer a number of advantages / remove the objections against an android (or ios) app by MA:
  • not on an easily hackable device like a smartphone
  • does not run out of battery as fast
  • not depending on MAs app-coding
  • completely not-recognisable as PE-related, it could be for many things

To be honest, it has a lot in common with the GC ;)
Although in particular the last option is not offered by the GC, that might even be considered an additional advantage...
Also compared to the folks that are running a windows-based-emulator on which the MA-app is running I think this would be a step up in security as well as user-friendly-ness.

For the record, for me this whole 2fa-app thing is rubbish, I've been a happy GC-user for close to 14 years (my GC card number has only got 3 digits!) - I did replace the battery in the reader once or twice but apart from that it always worked like a charm.

Please post your experience with Ubikey or similar product in combination with PE!

Ouch though;

https://www.yubico.com/store/

Hardware 2fa IS better. If someone has this, or a compliant device it would be cool to be able to use it. I didn't explore the programmability of these but you might be able to use it already.

I'm still reading just came to share the price page lol.

EDIT:

Yubikey says :

• Strong authentication with support for multiple protocols (Yubico OTP, OATH HOTP, OATH TOTP, U2F, PIV, and Open PGP), and FIDO2 the new standard enabling the replacement of weak password-based authentication.

While Google says:

• Google Authenticator is a software token that implements two-step verification services using the Time-based One-time Password Algorithm (TOTP) and HMAC-based One-time Password Algorithm (HOTP), for authenticating users of mobile applications by Google.

There's no software though the app has to know to look for the authenticator. I think that means work for MA.

I did a quick search (I'm a complete n00b in this area, bear with me if I'm speaking nonsense!) and found there to be TOTP-compatible hardware tokens offered by various parties, prices are ranging from 15-ish to 50-ish euro.
With so many out there I'm hoping at least someone to have one and be able to share experiences with us.

Here's what I've found so far:

Back