So here I am

Doer

Marauder
Society
Rangers
David "Doer" Falkayn
Back in 2005 when i came to Calypso, i didn't expect to get to 2012 and still be a noob. The major skill nerf a couple years later and life conspired a bit, and I didn't really "seize the moment" when it came to PE opportunities, keeping a long view without concern over the shorter-term setbacks or opportunity costs that approach caused. (Remember when my imp FAP was worth more than twice what i paid? My imk2, too? Who's the stubborn, pig-headed one who didn't sell them and give up on EU uber aspirations? That's right, almost everyone :silly2:, but me too...)

Anyway, I've been away or only sporadically involved for some time, and it's weird to see the remnants of my generation have become ubers and almost-ubers, and that EU in many ways reverted to an unknown (and me to a know-nothing noob again) due to changes. I didn't log in for a year until last month, and life has had some unexpected turns. In just a few years, my thesis advisor and PI became terminally ill, passed away, my thesis had to be defended, the father of a dear friend was kidnapped and seriously wrapped up into issues not of his making while abroad, a firesale was held of the imp FAP and some investments as a result, and i also moved out of state, leaving behind my EU-capable PC in the process, and have also strangely gone through a period of what could technically be considered homelessness. It's ironic, but I think EU represents now a relatively static element in what has been a very dynamic few years. And that's without even talking about my personal life...

So, I ended up with a lot of free time on my hands last month, and drove my ancient laptop into the ground as i revisited EU. I put together a budget PC and have done some of the most intensive grinding over the last month of my EU career. It was all a bit of a homecoming or reunion party, and now it's time to be more cautious and not blow the PEDs i left when i sold out much of the gear. In light of that, I've been considering my original EU aspirations and goals. If i'm going to be here, i might as well pick up where i left off until life takes me off in some other direction again.

The goals are the same, because it's what motivates me: efficiency and economizing. "Beat" the game through efficiency and considered actions. Reach zero net deposits and then use winnings to live large, at least virtually. Be a hero in the storyline, if it ever gets pulled out of the rubbish heap where it sits jumbled with the rusting hulks of mechas and ships from the first war that used to be an unforgettable reminder around the Calypso landscape of the looming robot menace.

Of course things are more difficult now. Even a noob with an imk2 had a pretty good chance of coming out okay at CP back when it was untaxed and many people were still using non-SIBs, and the best SIBs were weak. Now, everyone who wants to can hunt at 2.85+ economy almost anywhere on the dps scale. That's a considerable shift in average economy, and the result is that, not too surprisingly, i'm not having the same results at 2.94 dpp that i was before the extended vacation.

This should be a challenge.

Keep at it buddy! You'll unlock commando and continue on to "UBER" in no time!! :)

It takes determination to finish rippersnappers... had I not finished them in the increased spawn I probably would not have gone to PA to finish them like you did ;)

~Danimal

Welcome back! Very nice post - it shows how much RL puts EU in perspective, which in more ordinary times one can lose sight of, aand also how well EU can be a refuge and release from RL. Best of luck to you.

From one noob to another...welcome! I've heard from others how this game as evolved into something almost unrecognizable by older players but whatever it has become it is still entertaining and fun and for some and a refuge from RL for others.

I wish you all the luck in EU and hope it works out for you...

Zhaal

Thanks for the words of encouragement! One thing EU has always had is some great people (and some nuts, and they're not always different people). :lolup:

Cheers

Back