WoF Best Moments... and next year

1. What were your favourite Moblists/Stages?

No special moblist, but first 2 stages were my favorites....

2. What Mob did you learn to hate?

Can u hate a mob? PK'er

3. Did you learn anything new from the WoF?

Not exactly...

4. Has your Friend List increased?:)

Yes.

5. Has anyone done really well from the WoF?

Me :D Well, not really well but no big losses (if u don't count those 3-4 rounds) :silly2:

6. Did you dislike any of the Rules?

Yes. Didn't like unlimited support, too small main teams, didn't like PvP mobs, didn't like space round (though I missed it)

7. How do you think it was managed?

Very well I think. Only thing was the timetable ie. lot's of ppl waiting one hunter to arrive. The starts should have been as scheduled....

I have loads more questions, just say what you thought of the WoF:)

Excellent event again but last years WoF was better IMHO...

Couldn't pin down one, adapted each time...

Bristles probably, but only because I hunted them at least 6 hours a weekend 3 times and despite the globals never got the ruddy gremlin feet I still want.

How the smallest of things gone wrong can have a huge effect on a gameplan.

4. Has your Friend List increased?

Sort of, but had to delete them all again after WoF to make room for the soc again..

Financially, of course not. :D But the experience was rich.

Unlimited support - I know you said you did this so that anyone can join, but if someone wants to join and the country they want to represent is full then they can always just make another team....next year there will be new planets and continents and if people want they should create "Team Eudoria/Amethera" likenesses. (Tho why people chose not to support there own country this year is beyond me....)

Given the volume, very well indeed. I know it must be hard when the people you relie on to help you are away half the time on the playing field, but I thought you did great.

I've been hearing all about your adventures in search of points; so I'd like to properly ask....

I was not participating as a hunter, but the display in the Daspletor Dome was a sight to see!

Bristlehog and Hiryuu

Bristlehogs drop Kross400 more than Feffs do :laugh:

Yes, it did... but I doubt I will get any PMs until next WOF. Sad but true...

Well... I did not do bad.

The only one that bothered me was that support was not tied to a "home country" for the duration. Made being a mercenary a profession.

Managed great. Something to consider would be a penalty for not responding to time requests for matches. There were a few times that match times were not agreed upon until the day prior. That can impose great difficulties in getting the word out to the teams.

Hurrikane

Since you mentioned it... I always thought it was strange that in the Finals, there are 3 teams all competing at once... please see the picture below for a possible change in the last few matches.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

A twist that would keep all teams playing (remove the bye)... the top 8 teams would advance instead of 6 allowing for a balanced match bracket. Still seeding the teams 1-8 and the higher the seed means the lower seeded opponent.

1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

Just a suggestion, but I am curious what everyone (especially YOU) think about it.

Last edited:
I thought the 3-way final was fun :)

I quite like the traditional three-way WoF final too.

Gotta agree there.....something that makes WoF unique from all other knock-outs is the 3-way final...

Rayne, you explained it yourself on your pic:

"there is no precedent in the world of sporting competition for this"

...that's why we have a 3-way Final:)

Thanks as always for the input though:)

Hurrikane

Fair enough!

Rule I disliked:

People can hunt for countries they are not part of at all. It should be limited to something like "Born in the country, or currently living in the country".

The random countries that were created with members that clearly were not born/from that country, let alone ever actually been there seriously undermines WoF. Next year more people will just form a group and choose a random warzone or uninhabited island to represent.

Rule I disliked:

People can hunt for countries they are not part of at all. It should be limited to something like "Born in the country, or currently living in the country".

The random countries that were created with members that clearly were not born/from that country, let alone ever actually been there seriously undermines WoF. Next year more people will just form a group and choose a random warzone or uninhabited island to represent.

Yeah agreed, there's a bit of a danger it ends up becoming a soc-tournament instead. Its tricky though as there's no immediately obvious way that Hurrikane can verify each avatar's nationality/location. I guess some sort of IP test could be set up to do it, I don't know.

I think just having Eudoria and Amethera for tradition's sake is OK and keeps the option open for some people who don't want to represent their country for whatever reason, to be able to play without representing someone else. But I think that's enough, too many and the tournament would lose some of the national rivalries which added to the atmosphere of the tournament (OK, excluding the little falling out France and England had perhaps :D).

Rule I disliked:

Yeah I didn't like this either...especially when I saw how bloody good Tibet were! :laugh:

I had some great fun throughout each stage, the funniest moment for me and i really cracked up when it happened, was in stage two when our team were hunting the all elusive goki, it was so frustrating being swarmed by traxies all the time without a goki to be found, we couldnt find the buggers anywhere then Jimmy thought the red dot at the top of a huge hill was one lone goki so he spent like forever getting up there just to suddenly materialise in front of that elusive red dot - an araneatrox :laugh:

I think my fav moment had to be getting the trooper hof, i felt so bad not getting any globals after 2 .5 hrs hunting them it was such a huge releif to both walk away with a nice stack of ped and to give the team those points.

Rule I disliked:

I think this would be impossible to police.

what i do think however is once you 'sign' for a team you shouldnt be able to play for any other, support included.

The final.

Can't remember the name but it was on an early round support list. They flew and were located near Oshiri.

New locations for a few mobs.

4. Has your Friend List increased?
Most definitely.

Not financially, no. But soc mates did take to calling me "Champion" for my role with the England support team, so in that sense maybe I have!

As others have said, there was a danger of it becoming a society or friendlist event rather than a nations event.

Very well. The only gripe for me was the repeated late starts for matches.

LOL Theren, he kept that one quiet :laugh:

Dusk, Im thinking Tsk :)

LOL Theren, he kept that one quiet :laugh:

Yeah I forgot that Tere but you're right it was a hilarious moment. We needed a few of them that day too, that was one seriously frustrating hunt we had. A bit later I also had an episode where I kept tp'ing on top of the damn things, seem to remember causing Arto to die from one of them too.

And yeah that HoF was pretty sweet. First week we got Bobby's 4k Hiryuu, second week you got the 4k Trooper for the same team, would have been awesome to clean up with a 4k Globster in the final week!

I think this would be impossible to police.

what i do think however is once you 'sign' for a team you shouldnt be able to play for any other, support included.

I believe that, depending on the level of MA's involvement on this when they become an official sponsor, they may be able to police it themselves...after all they have everyone's address.

But I do agree there is a very real danger of a bunch of "Ubers" getting together, calling themselves after a little known country just for the sake of winning, and thus ruining what is supposed to be an international touranment.

I still really really wanna know why anyone would actively decide that they DONT wanna support there own country....I honestly can see no reason why someone would be ashamed of fighting for that. I would love to hear a reason from anyone that joined the 4 fake teams this year, or joined a country that wasn't there own while there's was still recruiting.

I still really really wanna know why anyone would actively decide that they DONT wanna support there own country....I honestly can see no reason why someone would be ashamed of fighting for that. I would love to hear a reason from anyone that joined the 4 fake teams this year, or joined a country that wasn't there own while there's was still recruiting.

Well, in the final there were avatars from England pk'ing the England support teams hunting Mulmun in the final hehe. The patriotism thing isn't for everyone I guess. But it is part of the WoF so I would like to see some way of limiting the made-up teams.

Well, in the final there were avatars from England pk'ing the England support teams hunting Mulmun in the final hehe. The patriotism thing isn't for everyone I guess. But it is part of the WoF so I would like to see some way of limiting the made-up teams.

Not everyone likes their country of birth; some even hate the way their countries are run. I hate the way most countries are run:) The only one that truly seemed above the crap was Tibet, and now they've been annexed:(

I think as long as there are governments that make decisions we hate, there will be a need to support others in order to feel proud of your involvement. Those who love their country should surely outweigh such non-patriots, especially if your country is one of the "good" ones, yes? If not, that's a reflection of the trust your players have in their rulers, and perhaps even reason to doubt your own loyalties if the majority says no to the call of your flag?

I saw Tibet racing towards the Final and did think it amazing that a team with no real patriotic support to call on did so well; although the well-oiled pack of Ubers at the fore had much to do with this:)

I predict next year will be won by a real team from a real country. One year might see a non-resident team win, maybe it'll happen more than once; but national pride's a bigger draw than most things, so really the patriots of the WoF should be in the Final most years.

Hurrikane

Not everyone likes their country of birth; some even hate the way their countries are run. I hate the way most countries are run:) The only one that truly seemed above the crap was Tibet, and now they've been annexed:(

I think as long as there are governments that make decisions we hate, there will be a need to support others in order to feel proud of your involvement. Those who love their country should surely outweigh such non-patriots, especially if your country is one of the "good" ones, yes? If not, that's a reflection of the trust your players have in their rulers, and perhaps even reason to doubt your own loyalties if the majority says no to the call of your flag?

I saw Tibet racing towards the Final and did think it amazing that a team with no real patriotic support to call on did so well; although the well-oiled pack of Ubers at the fore had much to do with this:)

I predict next year will be won by a real team from a real country. One year might see a non-resident team win, maybe it'll happen more than once; but national pride's a bigger draw than most things, so really the patriots of the WoF should be in the Final most years.

Hurrikane

I don't see supporting my country in a sporting event as anything to do with whether or not I like how the country is run to be honest.

Like you say though, yes, as long as support and squad size remains a significant factor in WoF it'll always be difficult for a made-up team to win.

I don't see supporting my country in a sporting event as anything to do with whether or not I like how the country is run to be honest.

Nope, for many it's not even an issue, but for some it is. And patriotism isn't automatic; to want to support your countrymen suggests at least that you are happy to be known by your nationality. I've experienced the exact opposite of that as a non-football fan in Holland when Chelsea played a Dutch team; I've rarely had to become Welsh so quickly. I do love England btw, it is my home and offers more than most other places. I just see that some people, in our anonymous virtual world, would prefer to be loyal to a virtual cause they have set up themselves, not a to country they know too much about:) To make everyone play for where they came from (which would be nigh-impossible to police) would be a breach of human rights almost; or at least a crime against free-thinking.

That said, we're only playing.... and most teams are here for their Flag. If the non-resident teams worry you, beat them:)

Hurrikane

That said, we're only playing.... and most teams are here for their Flag. If the non-resident teams worry you, beat them:)

OK, we will, unless Romania beat us to it. :D

Not sure I agree with the breach of human rights business but I see your point. Thanks for sharing your perspective on it.

OK, we will, unless Romania beat us to it. :D

Not sure I agree with the breach of human rights business but I see your point. Thanks for sharing your perspective on it.

I see his point too.. but the problem will start when there will be more non-patriots than patriots.. in time, some ppl will get sick of playing for their own country and always get beaten by made-up countries or for v big external support. As I said.. it was ok this year. I even liked Tibet, but it might get out of hand in few years.

I most liked the Bristlehogs and later the Kingfishers.

Caudatergus - aaaaaaaaaaargh!

Yes - first comes that I did not know how patriotic I really am, that surprised myself totally.
Secondly I pushed my limits on the mobs a lot and am happy with what I am able to hunt by now.

It was nearly full before and now is constantly on the maximum limit.

No one I know...

I am not totally sure about the "bonus" rules, but I don't really dislike them and have no suggestion how to change them.

It was a marvellous job, if only always a judge for every team would have been there it would have been perfect.

In terms of events one of the greatest things in any online game I've seen.
It should get more publicity and I really hope that the cooperation with Neverdie will make it bigger next time.
A running radio commentary would be ultimately cool :D

Back