Mindbank

come on Bertha :)

Note as David keeps adding more links I aint going to copy / paste them all to below is text from the first link:

from www.marketwire.com/press-release/Entropia-Universe-962987.html

Virtual World Developer MindArk Granted Real World Banking License
GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN--(Marketwire - March 18, 2009) - The Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority (Finansinspektionen) has granted a license to conduct banking activities to virtual universe developer MindArk PE AB's wholly owned subsidiary Mind Bank AB. The unique step of integrating MindArk's virtual universe Entropia Universe with the real world will allow Mind Bank AB to function as a central bank for all virtual worlds within the Entropia Universe.

MindArk CEO Jan Welter Timkrans comments, "This is an exciting and important development for the future of all virtual worlds being built, using the Entropia Platform. Together with our partner planet owner companies we will be in a position to offer real bank services to the inhabitants of our virtual universe." This will take the integration between real life and virtual life to a whole new level.

Mind Bank AB will be the first bank that fully incorporates real money transactions with activities in a virtual world. Millions of transactions can be processed by the bank for further transfer to MindArk and the virtual universe. Mind Bank will also offer selected bank services to customers on the conventional market.

About MindArk and Entropia Universe

Entropia Universe is an expanding entity of interoperable 3D virtual worlds based on the proprietary Entropia Platform. Each virtual world takes the form of a planet(s) within the virtual Entropia Universe.

The Entropia Platform contains full support for secure micro-transactions in real-time, rich media viewing, transactions with real and virtual items, MMOG entertainment and social interaction between global participants. Its virtual currency, the PED, has a fixed exchange rate of 10:1 with the US dollar.

The Entropia Platform has been developed for over 10 years at a cost of over $40m. Commercially launched in 2003, MindArk's Planet Calypso has been generating profit since 2004 and has served as a vehicle for fine tuning the platform's business model and functionality. It has today over 820,000 registered accounts from over 200 territories. User to user transactions within Entropia Universe exceeded USD $420m during 2008.

Last edited:
Thanks...interesting!

Regards,
RiRa

go Mindark!

David, maybe you can tell me this.
I was thinking about this and what it would matter for us players and one thing I could come up with is this.

---forget this question------
In Holland the government gives out guaranties for all your savings up until 100.000 euro's. This mean if a bank goes bankrupt I get my money back from the government. Will this also go for the MindBank if for some reason MindArk goes bankrupt (I hope you guys won't of course) and will this be for the TT value of things or for the Markup value?
---forget this question------

And do we get a savings report each year that tells us how much PED's we have? And does this mean we have to pay taxes now over our earnings?

Just a few things that come to mind.

edit:
And what interest do we got on our PED's?
And will this bank be better than IceSave?

Last edited:
David, maybe you can tell me this.
I was thinking about this and what it would matter for us players and one thing I could come up with is this. In Holland the government gives out guaranties for all your savings up until 100.000 euro's. This mean if a bank goes bankrupt I get my money back from the government. Will this also go for the MindBank if for some reason MindArk goes bankrupt (OK, this is in the text, sorry)(I hope you guys won't of course) and will this be for the TT value of things or for the Markup value? And do we get a savings report each year that tells us how much PED's we have? And does this mean we have to pay taxes now over our earnings?

Just a few things that come to mind.

edit:
And what interest do we got on our PED's?
And will this bank be better than IceSave?

If i got it right, thats exactly what it means. wich is very very good job by MA ;)

We prolly wont start getting interest though, thats where Mind Ark makes their money... :D

Virtual world news article

MindArk Brings Real Banking Into Entropia Universe

Today MindArk PE AB, operators of the Entropia Universe virtual worlds, announced that the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority had granted MindArk's subsidiary Mind Bank AB a license to conduct legal banking activities. This allows MindArk to operate Mind Bank AB as a fully functioning bank within the Entropia Universe, providing real world banking functions to all virtual worlds running on the Entropia Universe platform. Mind Bank AB will be the first bank that fully incorporates real money transactions with activities within a virtual world.

“This is an exciting and important development for the future of all virtual worlds being built, using the Entropia Platform. Together with our partner planet owner companies we will be in a position to offer real bank services to the inhabitants of our virtual universe,” said Jan Welter Timkrans, CEO of MindArk.

Entropia Universe has always pushed its true cash economy as a unique benefit for the virtual world. The in-game currency, the PED, has its value tied to the value of the US dollar at the rate of 10 PED to 1 USD. Users are free to "cash out" their PED into real money at any time. According to Timkrans, this creates a situation where in-world banking can add greater security and convenience to Entropia Universe's transactions.

"When deposits are made into Entropia they will actually be made directly into our own bank, which will follow the strict European banking regulations. The bank will be continuously monitored and audited by the financial authorities. This will provide added security for both planet partners and users. Like all banks in Sweden, our bank will enter the government guarantee program, which will ultimately guarantee users' and partners' funds by the national government," said Timkrans. "We will also be able to issue cards directly to our customers thereby reducing user fees to a minimum."

MindArk also wants to bring banking to Entropia Universe so it can help regulate the game's virtual economy. Inflation is a serious problem in most virtual economies, even ones that do not allow RMT, when there are not enough controls to keep users from generating essentially infinite amounts of cash through various methods or sinks to remove cash from the economy.

"We have seen this happen to all virtual game economies and irresponsible real-world countries like, for example, Zimbabwe where inflation last year was about a trillion percent," said Timkrans. "In the Entropia Universe, inflation is kept under control. Some hard to obtain items, as in real life, rise in value to incredible levels but the basic consumer items follow a pretty stable pricing, and in real life inflation is measured on basic consumer products and not on for example the price increase on paintings by Andy Warhol."

Timkrans promises that Mind Bank AB will have a virtual presence on each planet in the Entropia Universe platform. The bank will function like an Internet bank and be able to provide users with every basic banking service offered by real-world banks, including loans, savings accounts, and checking accounts. Mind Bank AB will also be able to provide these services for conventional markets (i.e., the real world) which in theory would allow Entropia Universe users to do most of their banking through the virtual world.

"MindArk's gain is twofold: we will raise the confidence level for the entire system for our clients, and the bank will profit chiefly from providing loans just like any bank does," said Timkrans.

As far as offering services specific to a virtual world, Timkrans states that Mind Bank AB will go beyond the services provided by real world banks in some respects. Through Mind Bank AB, Timkrnas hopes to guarantee the Trade Terminal (or "TT") value of every virtual item owned by clients and Planet partners who participate in the virtual world. This is the value at which MindArk "buys back" virtual goods from Entropia Universe users who choose to sell their virtual possessions back to the company rather than trying to find another user interested in buying it.

For a comparison of other virtual worlds, look at Second Life, where last year Linden Lab banned all banks without governmental regulation. As virtual worlds attract older, richer users who participate more strongly in the economy, the real value of goods and currencies becomes more important. Integrating a more traditional bank isn't the only solution, but it's certainly one worth watching for the ways it affects business, perception of the world, and economic activity.

http://www.virtualworldsnews.com/2009/03/mindark-brings-real-banking-into-entropia-universe.html - MindArk also wants to bring banking to Entropia Universe so it can help regulate the game's virtual economy. Inflation is a serious problem in most virtual economies, even ones that do not allow RMT, when there are not enough controls to keep users from generating essentially infinite amounts of cash through various methods or sinks to remove cash from the economy.

I wonder if MindArk will limit how much a given user can deposit? Or will they just tweak loot?

yeah... but i guess we wont from the money on our ped cards and the tt of all our items, just as it is now.

(i'de rather see ma taking that money then nerfing loot anyway... ;) )

Way to go :wtg:
RL n VL intergration at the financial lvl. No more problems with deposits transactions?
Thats must be the main concern of MA.

yeah... but i guess we wont from the money on our ped cards and the tt of all our items, just as it is now.

(i'de rather see ma taking that money then nerfing loot anyway... ;) )

As I see it, the money on our PED card is the money we have on MindBank's checking account, so there probably won't be any interest for that. For the saving accounts there would be interest (why else make that difference).

On a bit of a side note

Was getting the bank setup a necessity for doing business with the new planets?

A gaurentee of some description?

Regards

Ace

couple of questions to David|mindark:

when are we likly to see actual deployment of the bank facilities. give us a rough Quarter.

It says above that when we deposit it will go to the bank. will we transfer between bank "account" and the in game PED card or will they be exactly the same? if the same, how does the Bank reconcile with the EULA that limits Mindark liability to past 6months deposit, when Banks provide an indefinite guarantee?

Last edited:
couple of questions to David|mindark:

when are we likly to see actual deployment of the bank facilities. give us a rough Quarter.

It says above that when we deposit it will go to the bank. will we transfer between bank "account" and the in game PED card or will they be exactly the same? if the same, how does the Bank reconcile with the EULA that limits Mindark liability to past 6months deposit, when Banks provide indefinite liability?

I think bank funds and in game funds will be seperate. Can you imagine a bank transaction every time you do something that changes the balance on your ped card?

So if MindBank is a virtual bank, what is the so called "banks" ingame? Will they now be renamed to "pawn shops" as they should have been from the beginning?

Does that mean we'll get the cash cards working anytime soon? :eek:

Does that mean we'll get the cash cards working anytime soon? :eek:

If you replace "anytime" with "sometime" and cut the "soon" ... answer will be yes :laugh:

Entropia Universe is getting more and more away from a gaming experience everyday.... I think Mindark focus their stupid heads at the wrong stuff.

I pay u guys money every month and u hire ppl who sits and discuss and open banks?

The line is hair fine of staying and leaving entropia evereyday and u open a bank instead of taking on issues about loot and stuff who is important to 90% of the player base.... Good work! whats MA cooking tomorrow? Car brands and Atom Bomb manufacturing? :D

// Suli

Will it be cheaper to deposit as MA has no need to pay fees to third parties then? I mean when I deposit 100 USD by credit card - I will have 1000 PEDs on may ingame account? Same with withdrawals - hope it will be instant then :)

Entropia Universe is getting more and more away from a gaming experience everyday.... I think Mindark focus their stupid heads at the wrong stuff.

I pay u guys money every month and u hire ppl who sits and discuss and open banks?

The line is hair fine of staying and leaving entropia evereyday and u open a bank instead of taking on issues about loot and stuff who is important to 90% of the player base.... Good work! whats MA cooking tomorrow? Car brands and Atom Bomb manufacturing? :D

// Suli

I second that.

When? If I'm not mistaken, from Moogle's breaking story, the bank must begin operations within a year or have it's licensed revoked.
Also, does this mean the current ingame bank licenses will NOT be renewed?

// Suli

Actually this isn't uncommon for many companies to setup these "industrial banks" to help facilitate the transfer of funds. A perfect example is Target (A US retail chain similiar to Walmart) that has its own bank. It isn't a move away from focusing on gameplay as actually allows MA to focus on gameplay and stop having to waste time dealing with cash cards, deposit disruptions and money laundering issues

This type of gurantee and regulation will bring some reassurances to the "investing" players out there. Besides since the collapse of so many banks you can bet governments will be auditing all banks far more frequently than they do now.

This is huge for MA.

Timkrans promises that Mind Bank AB will have a virtual presence on each planet in the Entropia Universe platform.

Do I have to download seperate clients to acces MindBanks on other planets ? :p

Last edited:
Mindbank :confused: They should focus on the Cry Engine instead of this :scratch2:

cool , so it wouldent be silly to assume that the cash card will be making a speedy re-appearence now

gratz MA

"When deposits are made into Entropia they will actually be made directly into our own bank, which will follow the strict European banking regulations. The bank will be continuously monitored and audited by the financial authorities. This will provide added security for both planet partners and users. Like all banks in Sweden, our bank will enter the government guarantee program, which will ultimately guarantee users' and partners' funds by the national government," said Timkrans.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this does in no way mean that out current Entropia accounts will be turned into bank accounts.

Also for those that do not know, the state-provided deposit insurance that is mentioned is for a maximum of 500 000 SEK per person and bank (so it's not a million just because you had two accounts) and is covered to 100%. 500 000 SEK is just under 60 000 USD at the moment.

As far as offering services specific to a virtual world, Timkrans states that Mind Bank AB will go beyond the services provided by real world banks in some respects. Through Mind Bank AB, Timkrnas hopes to guarantee the Trade Terminal (or "TT") value of every virtual item owned by clients and Planet partners who participate in the virtual world. This is the value at which MindArk "buys back" virtual goods from Entropia Universe users who choose to sell their virtual possessions back to the company rather than trying to find another user interested in buying it.

EXCUSE me, but I thought that was already the guaranteed value.

In fact, the only way I see him making it guaranteed in the way I think he means, is for it to be a part of the state-provided deposit insurance mentioned above - but that would require that our Entropia accounts are turned into bank accounts, no?

Even if Mindark thought this was a brilliant idea (to magic bank accounts out of thin air); I'll be the first one to say it - Entropia is, in no way, secure enough for that. There are a lot of bugs ingame, some more harmful then others, and the history has showed us that some bugs are.. very.. bad.. (and that's all I'm going to say on That matter.) Making a direct link of IRL money and a virtual world where it can be created, is dangerous. There has to be a bridge "Entropia to Bank."

So if MindBank is a virtual bank, what is the so called "banks" ingame? Will they now be renamed to "pawn shops" as they should have been from the beginning?

I hope so.

I do not see it as a diversion from EU. MA is making it easier to move funds into and out of the game. Cutting down the 3rd party banks from 2 to 1.

The interesting thing to me is that, if the Mindbank is the way to move funds between worlds in EU, that means those worlds will not be able to transfer money from one planet to the other. Does this imply avatars (and their equipment) cannot travel to the new planets? If I get on a ship and travel from Calypso to world #2, I should still have my PEDs on my card i.e. the money goes with the avatar. Ditto for my gear (has TT value).

This is implying I need to transfer my PEDs to Mindbank to Second_planet_company. Which means going to second_planet (or third or fourth) is not going to be as easy as jumping on a spaceship.

Or am I reading too much into this?:scratch2:

Actually this isn't uncommon for many companies to setup these "industrial banks" to help facilitate the transfer of funds. A perfect example is Target (A US retail chain similiar to Walmart) that has its own bank. It isn't a move away from focusing on gameplay as actually allows MA to focus on gameplay and stop having to waste time dealing with cash cards, deposit disruptions and money laundering issues

This type of gurantee and regulation will bring some reassurances to the "investing" players out there. Besides since the collapse of so many banks you can bet governments will be auditing all banks far more frequently than they do now.

This is huge for MA.

Well said. This is actually a good thing for the player base and for Mindark, it's a shame many players don't get it...

Back