I need your help for SXSW 2010!

JohnBates

Former Entropia Universe Evangelist
I would love your thoughts on this. AND, once we submit some topics I would love your help voting on them and getting us on the program!
Read the post below and then give me your feedback on what you think would be the most interesting topics we could propose! If I use your topic I will get you some kind of cool prize. JKB
Got a Panel Idea for 2010: Proposals Accepted Beginning June 1
Do you have an idea for a great panel or presentation for the 2010 SXSW Interactive Festival? If so, then we want to hear from you (as the bulk of programming for next year's event will come from ideas generated by smart and creative people such as yourself). The submission process for next year's event opens on Monday, June 1 and closes on Friday, July 10. All proposals will be posted to the Panel Picker where they will evaluated by the online community and analyzed by the Advisory Board and the SXSW staff. Also, if you need more inspiration for 2010 panel ideas, then browse our extensive collection of podcasts from this year's event.

I am looking forward to hearing what ya'll have to say! I think we have a few exciting things going on that are panel worthy, don't we? JKB :wtg:

Forgive me for not understanding completely,
but by "panel" you mean what exactly? A group of people discussing a topic? And you're asking us for a good topic?

Or?

Guess that what he is saying is that he would like all of us to give some cool event program for year 2010...right JKB?

do you mean with panel a word fused from plate, portfolio and scedule or something?

Um, just show all the seriously cool videos everyone made for the Let It Rock contest? :dunno:

Yea I checked the SXSW website but it didnt really enlight me much more.

Wikipedia said:
During the conference a group of British web developers occupied a conference room and held their own panel "Not Another Social Media Panel" in reaction to the perceived homogeneity and lack of dissent of some of the other panels[

So.... Im guessing this is some sort of discussion panel then?

Very poor choice of timing to ask for help from the players :laugh:

Uh-oh! I love brainstorming sessions! Do we also get candy?

"Taking creativity a step further"

*Content from "Participant Art Exhibition" can be used
*Art made my RL painters that was already sold as virtual paintings

....more ideeas to come!

Last moment ideea

*Topic about ingame advertising (show player`s adverts for shops and not only)...maybe it will encourage some company to colaborate with FPC?

Please someone properly explain what is meant by a Panel. I can't be alone in wanting to help but not knowing wtf is required:)

Hurrikane

:scratch:

I'm confused - which in and of itself isn't all that shocking - but I wanna know what it means, too ! :yay:

Please someone properly explain what is meant by a Panel. I can't be alone in wanting to help but not knowing wtf is required:)

Hurrikane

Not sure, but, i suppose theirs no harm in throwing some ideas until this is clarified by Mr. Bates.

Topics:

The positive and negative impacts of playing in a virtual universe.

The impact of a real life economic crisis on virtual universes (more specifically RCE).

Positive and negative impacts of social networking in virtual universes.

Dear JBK,

You ask us to give you ideas for a panel debate that connects to Entropia Universe. Since we for long now have waited for the graphical and mechanical update of this Universe, a Universe that we are told will change drastically this summer, we find it hard to come up with ideas regarding this matter. If you could be so nice to come back with this question after you have released booth the CE2 update of our beloved planet Calypso and released means to travel to the new planets in the hopefully new universe I think we would be able to give you a better feedback. Now it's like asking us how the new chrimp/vanilla yoghurt will taste before we even have milked the cow or gathered the needed chrimps.
Today the only ideas we could give you is "Is it wise to release information about a new feature/idea before it's realized?(especially when it takes years to realize)", "How long can you use one spacestation sale as the best marketing idea?", "How many times can we nerf our platform without loosing income?", "How to use the world 'dynamic' as answer to all questions and complians a user might have!", etc

Best regards,

Nirfu

If you are asking us to come up with things you can present in a discussion panel about Entropia Universe where u compet against other games, i would say the two main things you can present is; Art and creation options ingame and that RL artist can use ingame to spread their work all accros the world easily and fairly cheap.
and the entrepenourship going on ingame such as RL Item shops, renting services, banks, simply the options to earn money by offering people what they want ingame.

If this is not what u ment i apologise for the confusion, but... this is what i understood from your post that u were looking for ._.

Or reuse some of your old topics;

Harnessing social networks, virtual worlds and MMOs to create community

What is the future of proprietary and non proprietary virtual worlds?

What is the future of proprietary and non proprietary
virtual worlds?

• What plans do the major players have for the next 12 months?
• How many proprietary virtual worlds can coexist?
• There is a gap in the market that needs filling – will existing players reinvent what they do?
• How might emerging markets start to be served by localised (or generic) virtual worlds?

Entropia Universe – From Online Game to Global Virtual World Platform

I got nothing for ya John..... problem is.... in the period of time that I was blown away by all that I believed EU had to offer.... I made some really good friends here.... and... well... EU/Planet Calypso for me is kind of like bowling. I pay for something I really don't like to do in the name of spending some time with good friends.

Hmm.... actually..... you could discuss how EU is like going insane.... I mean... they do say that the first sign of insanity is doing the same thing over, and over again and expecting a different result.... Much like the game play here....

Copy Pasted from an article linked HERE.
"
Panel Submission Process for SXSW 2010 Begins on June 1

We hope you are enjoying all the amazing audio content from the 2009 SXSW Interactive Festival. If the podcasts of these panels inspire a great idea for 2010 programming, then we want to hear from you.

The panel submission process for next year's SXSW Interactive Festival will commence on Monday, June 1 (and close on Friday, July 10). All submissions will be posted on the SXSW Panel Picker, where they will be voted on by the online community as well as the Advisory Board and SXSW staff.

More details on how this process works will be posted on this website in mid-May, so please stay tuned for complete information!"

Frequently Asked Questions about Panel Picker
(FAQ) HERE!

EDIT: I want to add this email that is listed on the page for anyone wanting to pursue this further. :)
interpanels@sxsw.com
hopefully it isnt breaking any forum rules :ahh:

Last edited:
thanks fo that ebo...and +rep.

Clarifies the issues a little

I would love your thoughts on this. AND, once we submit some topics I would love your help voting on them and getting us on the program!
Read the post below and then give me your feedback on what you think would be the most interesting topics we could propose! If I use your topic I will get you some kind of cool prize. JKB
Got a Panel Idea for 2010: Proposals Accepted Beginning June 1
Do you have an idea for a great panel or presentation for the 2010 SXSW Interactive Festival? If so, then we want to hear from you (as the bulk of programming for next year's event will come from ideas generated by smart and creative people such as yourself). The submission process for next year's event opens on Monday, June 1 and closes on Friday, July 10. All proposals will be posted to the Panel Picker where they will evaluated by the online community and analyzed by the Advisory Board and the SXSW staff. Also, if you need more inspiration for 2010 panel ideas, then browse our extensive collection of podcasts from this year's event.

I am looking forward to hearing what ya'll have to say! I think we have a few exciting things going on that are panel worthy, don't we? JKB :wtg:

Hi Mr Bates,

How about try this;

1 Please refer to this section of the forum WISH LIST

2 Set aside the money you would use for your current proposal.

3 Use that money to impliment just 1 of the thousands of ideas your loyal customers have already submited :)

I particularly like the one Etopia submited years ago about putting saddle bags on the tamed beasts. I'll bet if you did that, it would be worth 10x more to MA than what you have proposed.

BTW I don't agree with your signiture

"There will come a time when you
believe everything is finished...
That will be the beginning."

I started playing EU a bit before it became EU. I thought it was not finished but "completed", ready for release. Now 3 years latter... I find it wasn't completed.

In January 2009, MindArk created a wholly owned subsidiary called First Planet Company (“FPC”) to develop and market Planet Calypso - the first and the oldest planet in Entropia Universe. Separating this group from the platform developers allowed them to define their own goal of providing a top class MMO, and shed its role as a “test bed” of sorts for the development of the Entropia platform.

There are some things that need to be finished... then you start something new.

Just what I think.

For those of you asking what a panel is. It is usually a small group of experts discussing a topic in front of an audience.

They may all be in favor of a topic and explain whey they agree with it or opossed and explain why they are opposed. In some settings it is set up like a debate with panalists on each side of the issue debating their viewpoint.

As for a topic how about:

Why it is important to give a new player of less than 3 weeks an ATH of 53K, which he immediately plans to withdraw from the universe, while providing below average returns for most of the participants who have played for 3+ years?

I would be interested in watching the FPC and MA panalists discuss this one.

You should discuss the future prospects of merging mainstream ecommerce applications with a 3D interactive universe.

Can somebody please explain to me what makes me an "ass." for making this statement?

nope, can't see anything wrong in that statement! it's along the same type as nirfu's where he explaisn why timing is bad.

conclusion:
so whoever called u an ass for saying that may have an ass fetish :)

Hi Mr Bates,

How about try this;

1. Please refer to this section of the forum WISH LIST

2. Set aside the money you would use for your current proposal.

3. Use that money to impliment just 1 of the thousands of ideas your loyal customers have already submited :)

4. PROFIT!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyways, I think it would be a great idea to do this, taking a player idea from the wishlist. But my idea would be to improve mindforce/increase drops of chips so that more player can play with a few of the bigger chips. Then, play the presentation on the expanded mindforce, as I think it could be the coolest feature in the game if you guys would put some work in to it.

Even better, make a presentation on the importance of an interesting storyline to any world (virtual or real ;)) and how, in the lack of one, players will lose interest in the world and turn to another. That presentation seems a bit strange (borderline depressing)... but original, and would look to viewers like it was an actual scientific talk, sponsored by EU. And use specific examples from EU, such as seeing an increase in overall player activity during storyline-based events (robot wars; in-game company events, like the one Genesis Star is "hosting" now; etc.)

Oh, and I may just have to attend SXSW this year (usually get as far away from town as I can to avoid traffic :))

Last edited:
Can somebody please explain to me what makes me an "ass." for making this statement?

Nothing wrong with it that I can see

What Biizle said. And also:

Wait for Cry2 to settle into existence, then pay Woodger to host a party. That would leverage the best that EU has to offer in a way that would appeal to the masses.

Even better, make the rooftop on which said party is hosted a pvp zone - but fix pvp first to give it more mass appeal before you go showing it off (ricochets would be a nice start).

My topic would be this:

How can a developer manage the virtual economy better to allow a steady increase of profitability while working around the peaks and valleys of a real life economy.

Is this attainable?? Should there be something to leverage to value of virtual dollars with each burst or recession of the actual economy?

Back