Planet Calypso VU 10.0 has entered Test phase

Status
wonder how big the update will be and how long it will take. my broadband speed is slooowww.

wonder how big the update will be and how long it will take. my broadband speed is slooowww.

well hopefully the MA server has the speed to keep it up. or els hopefully MA release a torrent for it ...

When Planet Calypso comes alive in VU10.0 you can expect some additional changes, besides the huge graphical update, concerning how Calypso looks and feel. The continents of Eudoria and Amethera will resemble the old and known, but yet will be different. The veterans of before will need to explore the lands again to not lose knowledge to the young and hungry ones. Many of these changes are in line with FPC’s long-term commitment to keep and develop a storyline that follows suit with the development.

Well this made me believe it isn't just a simple conversion to a new engine. ;)

Im no programmer but i bet MA got a conversion tool from nvidia.

Browse - open - convert - wait - success!

And all this talk about developing and testing.. blah... just a conspiracy to fool us :)

Do you know if they already got the conversion tool for mac? :D

Well this made me believe it isn't just a simple conversion to a new engine. ;)

Gameplay system-wise it is very much a conversion. The look-n-feel of it, the exploration side of Calypso, will be very different.

Gameplay system-wise it is very much a conversion. The look-n-feel of it, the exploration side of Calypso, will be very different.

I know you don't have much to do with it, but this our/my chance of communicating with officials, so here's my question:

The look-n-feel of the lootwindow, of the TT & repair terminal after the hunting/mining/crafting terminal, in what direction will that go? Investment, roulette, who-looses-his-minds-first etc.? Or, with all due respect, will you (where you is balancing team or whoever has the ropes) give us a break for that matter?

Will most of the physics of CryEngine2 be implemented at once so to speak ? I mean with destructable environments, weather systems, fog, transparent lighting etc etc. If so I very much look forward to exploring a "new born" planet. I remember the excitement back in 2003 when I first ran around Hadesheim City and finally met and NPC. I chatted with him for 1 minute before I realized it was just an NPC :) Another fun episode is my first visit to a town, I didnt dare to enter cause I though the turret would take me out, so I sneaked around to find a safe way in.

I know you don't have much to do with it, but this our/my chance of communicating with officials, so here's my question:

The look-n-feel of the lootwindow, of the TT & repair terminal after the hunting/mining/crafting terminal, in what direction will that go? Investment, roulette, who-looses-his-minds-first etc.? Or, with all due respect, will you (where you is balancing team or whoever has the ropes) give us a break for that matter?

FPC will have several tasks, one is to re-evalute all systems and, in time, enhance or completely re-do the systems. I have no further info as to order of change or any deadlines as of yet. Some of these changes will also be brought to the community for them to put priority as they see fit.

back in 2003 when I first ran around Hadesheim City and finally met and NPC. I chatted with him for 1 minute before I realized it was just an NPC :)

Hadesheim Tailor: Hello
Mice: Hi how's it going?
Mice: You been playing long?

:scratch2: :laugh:

Marco, will you please comment on why a complete redesign (rather than a conversion) of Eudoria was undertaken, when so many other tasks need resources?

Mice: Hi how's it going?
Mice: You been playing long?

:scratch2: :laugh:

Marco, will you please comment on why a complete redesign (rather than a conversion) of Eudoria was undertaken, when so many other tasks need resources?

To facilitate a sense of a fresh start for everyone. In a dream scenario all gameplay systems would have been overhauled as well together with 10.0 but that would have been a collossal task resource- and test-wise which wasn't in the mix at this point.

The diplomat has spoken...

:yay:

Nice to see you Marco..

And what we have to expect in 1 or 2 weeks ? :O

The Ithaca with snow pic ? :p

Teasers ? Trailers ? Roadmap ?

Yes ? :S

Ahhh yes, thanks :)

Really fits its description "“quick-n-dirty” very short" and way too dark. -_-

Are those realtime shadows on the trees ?

I re-uploaded it, full light, zoomed in here and there and slowed it down. Result, a 40 second clip, that at least shows a bump mapped ground...also keep an eye to the "tree" to the right (especially at the end)...hmmm.

Teaser1 Right Click & Save As (6 megabyte)

Ahhh yes, thanks :)

Really fits its description "“quick-n-dirty” very short" and way too dark. -_-

Are those realtime shadows on the trees ?

I re-uploaded it, full light, zoomed in here and there and slowed it down. Result, a 40 second clip, that at least shows a bump mapped ground...also keep an eye to the "tree" to the right (especially at the end)...hmmm.

Teaser1 Right Click & Save As (6 megabyte)

little too bright , maby try tuning the gamma up... ?

little too bright , maby try tuning the gamma up... ?

Yes, my 1st "lighten up" was done minutes before leaving for work.
Enjoy this one :p

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Final Result here : (3 megabyte wmv video)

Teaser 2 Right Click & Save As

*Link fixed*

Last edited:
After this test phase they will go into the "fix-all-the-bugs-we-found-phase" and then "retesting-everything-again-phase".
Timeframe: a few more months?
Anyway, nice to see some progress.

Hmm is it just me or is a beta test normally public? I thought private testing was referred to as "alpha". :laugh:

Anyways if we can't have a taste before its done please take the time to let us see a little of what your doing. Hell we don't need Production Ready pictures. Most of us would probably love to see a little bit of "For Dev's Eyes Only" in our pics. (even if its just a mob ID or something) :D

If anything this will just create some more lore for us or something new to debate while you get your testing out of the way.

Also I would like it if you could possibly let us get some insight into the testing process. Maybe release a couple lists of Bug Fixes or maybe make a thread with your to do list so we can follow along as you cross things off.

Also if you have the opportunity to make improvements it would be interesting to have the voting terminals re-enabled so we can truly feel like its going to be the "Second Golden Age of Entropia".

That's all for now I suppose. Thanks for the Update!
/Napo

Counter-strike testing in Alpha stages took us months, beta took everyone years. I expect VU10 to be the real beta, current testing the Alpha. As EU is an ever evolving VR platform, I'd hate to think it would ever leave Beta phase, because if it did, it would mean EU has stopped growing.

I simply hope the fundamentals have taken priority over the cosmetics in this testing phase - Reload glitches over clipping issues, client-server latency comms over animations etc etc...

It'll be interesting to see the imaginations at MA/FPC in action over the next few years. I hope to see Avatar companies in action, businesses, conglomerate partnerships (etc etc..) evolve. I hope that features continue to develop in order to allow diversity and expand upon the un-involved style of gameplay that the 3 main professions are currently stuck in.
EU really could be a massive impact on the world IRL, if it's taken down the right path and I very much look forward to the trip...
... "Are we there yet!?" ;)

Thats what I thought, thanks for explaining. ;)

I cannot belive I forgot to put this in my first post, so here goes:

"Screenshots or it isn't happening!"

Sorry to be a doubter, but you said internal testing would begin in May, and while it is still technically May (though very late) just saying you are doing it to meet a milestone doesn't PROVE you are doing it.

Sorry...been here a long time...been burned a few times.:(

Screenshots aren't that hard. Push a button. Upload. Done. We don't care if it's not polished, I just want proof you are meeting the milestones you have set for yourself, especially since you are telling us you have...

All right, all right. I apologise.

I'm really sorry. I apologise unreservedly.

I offer a complete retraction.

The imputation was totally without basis in fact,
and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice.
I deeply regret any distress my comments may have caused you or your family.

And I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future. (Well...maybe a little ;) )

I doubted and asked for screenshots. I called them out and they came out with a vengeance. Marco did me one better and started posting mini-videos which are *great*! At least as I'm losing my ass I'll look really good doing it!

Credit where credit is due. Kudos to you MA, Marco, FPC and anyone else who has helped get the game looking like that...and that is high praise coming from one of your biggest critics.:laugh:

Credit where credit is due. Kudos to you MA, Marco, FPC and anyone else who has helped get the game looking like that...and that is high praise coming from one of your biggest critics.:laugh:

You are welcome. =)

You didnt really think they would actually release a follow up on time did you :rolleyes:

Just looked at McCormicks vids and I sincerely hope they have changed the view distance settings or that view distance was set low on the testers machine, there really is no excuse for pop up like you can see on the tree anymore.

Fingers are crossed in hope that its a little glitch or a setting. Taking bets on how much longer it will be before we get an update on progress. :wtg:

Aha... the Egg . . .

HAVEADEPOSIT!!!

They'll be handing out Santa hats and Christmas mittens before they offer any 'real' info on how they are progressing with VU10...

Don't hold ya breath... Ma operated this way... FPC operates this way and Marco 'alledgedly' in the seat of power makes not one gram of difference...

Same shit... Different day...

Ahh the egg...

Ahh the CE2...

Ahhh what a load of bollocks...:D

Quick update on this. Test is progressing. Most systems are up and running, but there are still bugs and polishing to be made. During the summer we will release screens and some movies from the test environment. The next public announcement will be made beginning of August and it will be meatier.

Status
Back