Parkour!

Dalas

Prowler
Society
Death Unlimited
Luke Dalas Cambridge
So, I've never posted in the Wishlist before but since I'm being a bit more active than usual in the forum these days and MA are looking for new ideas, I'll give it a go as something has come to mind!

PARKOUR

So, Parkour I hear you ask? What is that? Looks a bit French doesn't it? It is!

Quote Wikipedia:

"Parkour (sometimes also abbreviated to PK) or l'art du déplacement [1] (English: the art of moving) is a physical discipline of French origin in which participants run along a route, attempting to negotiate obstacles in the most efficient way possible, as if moving in an emergency situation, using skills such as jumping and climbing, or the more specific parkour moves. The obstacles can be anything in one's environment, but parkour is often seen practiced in urban areas because of many suitable public structures that are accessible to most people, such as buildings and rails." (Bolded by me). Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour

Having seen various chitchat about people wanting to be able to move in different ways, and MA having said that such things as crouching and prone position will come, how about adding more movements? Especially now that we run slower than before, how about making some of it back up with highly efficient parkour moves?

If you've never seen Parkour in action, here is my favourite video at the moment...

Being a fledgling practitioner of this discipline, I would really love to see even just a few new moves added to our repertoire in EU. This has already been done before in virtual reality, in various games (not to name any).

Imagine PvP if you could do that stuff! It is a bit Matrixey, but it is an entirely realistic proposition because Parkour is actually a REAL discipline which is practiced throughout the world, so perhaps not massive jumps between buildings, but at least sprinting, some kind of climbing, vaulting walls, diving into water etc... Could be awesome!

What do you think?

Last edited:
The new MA Creative Director worked at Dice EA (Mirror's Edge creators). Maybe we can expect some new moves, but I feel that my avatar is too slow for this xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Luke, long time m8 :silly2:

Pretty great idea, especially since we have some cool terrain now. Only thing missing is a vast urban landscape.

Hey Luke, long time m8 :silly2:

Pretty great idea, especially since we have some cool terrain now. Only thing missing is a vast urban landscape.

Maybe we will get Hadesheim 2.0 in a future VU? :D

man that would be awesome :D they can perhaps look into "prototype" for ideas

Last edited by a moderator:
i have to add that i would try it i didn't get arrested :D... who i'm i kidding i'll do it sometime anyway ;D

Hey Quick, saw you globalling recently, give me a PM sometime.

...a vast urban landscape.

Not necessary, Parkour can be done just as well in the natural environment too, so although an urban environment is ideal due to the architecture, MA could make trees and stuff accessible? Would bring a whole new dimension to EU.

I was thinking, maybe there could be related skills or even Mindforce chips. Then we could have Parkour training areas where new moves could be unlocked for those who wished to further their physical abilities. Attributes could also link in with it because as you train Parkour, you become stronger mentally as well as physically. This could also link in with the unused Stamina attribute.

Last edited:
Funny, when I was younger, it was just called "playing around" :D

As for tree climbing and all that, the main problem is always considering the issue of exploiters.

Back when we had the "flying bug", a few folks figured out how to use it to get high enough so they could shoot mobs, but never get attacked.

And even before that, folks used a "climbing bug" to scale a tower back at camp phoenix so they could sweat and kill without ever being hit.

Though we've always been able to scale certain buildings and locations, I fear the same type of exploit is exactly why highly-advanced climbing (leading to the cool jumps, etc.) will never be seen here. :(

However, I would love to see an advanced action movement available ingame that would allow parkour-like movement, just to keep thing fun :D

Funny, when I was younger, it was just called "playing around" :D

Haha, very funny ;)

... But just incase, Parkour is a lot more than "playing around", it is training to be useful in any (emergency) situation which may arise in life. The philosophy is "Etre fort pour etre utile" or "Be strong to be useful". Strong meaning able to deal with the unexpected, hence this physical training discipline which is twinned with the mental fortitude side of things... Just incase that was unclear to anyone. :scratch:

I remember the bugs you mentioned rather well, having been a pro building climber and even having flown above the desert tower which was south of Pandora, and one of those sweaters at Phoenix. These days I'm not sure things like that are possible? Most of the time the mob would become trapped and unable to take damage these days I think?

Last edited:
Theirs this gang of teens who do that near the government buildings where i live. It's really quite fun to watch.

It would be pretty cool to see that in EU. Would it ever get implemented? My guess is no, but it would be amazing! Who knows, maybe 10-15 years down the road, we could be jumping off buildings and breaking our legs in EU :).

...maybe 10-15 years down the road, we could be jumping off buildings and breaking our legs in EU :).

After VU10 have you had a rocket shot directly at you? What happens? You do some kind of Matrix looking dodge move and the rocket somehow bends around you and carries on leaving you unscathed. I believe MA already have the ability to make these fancy moves a reality, it's just a case of being sensible about it. So perhaps forget 10 -15 years :D

Broken legs, haha. It can be done perfectly safely without leaving the ground too :)

Parkour is pretty sweet to watch. Fun to play out in video games too. I always thought the Prince of Persia series was pretty good at this kind of stuff. I really liked the sands trilogy.

As far as it getting implemented in the game though... I would love to see it, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Unless you can find a way for MA/FPC to make money off it, they wont spend any time designing it...

Unless you can find a way for MA/FPC to make money off it, they wont spend any time designing it...

Err, imagine how much harder people would be to shoot in PvP ;) More dodging moves, more decay and ammo spent?

[YOUTUBE]RUlyqnmU0N0[/YOUTUBE]

:)

Err, imagine how much harder people would be to shoot in PvP ;) More dodging moves, more decay and ammo spent?

I would like that aswell, new jump moves so you can get forward faster (not tp chip) and a few more dodging moves. Somersault, rolling on the ground etc etc. Something that makes it harder to kill each others.

First make running look like something else than crippled crack whore doing riverdance :laugh:

This would be a true gem in PvP for players (and for MA). Although, it does seem like MA don't care too much about character physics; we walk, run and jump real weird-like. While I doubt an overhaul of the movement system is in the works, integrating parkour (or something like it) when the time comes for a change would be awesome ;)

Hey I've done some parkour before, I was actually planning on getting my old crew back together again :p Anyways, that would be sweet. TP running would be a breeze, and PVP might actually require actual skill and not just stats. Anyways I doubt that they would add something like that, but you never know right? :p

So now we have falling damage. There are a lot of threads about it, mostly very negative.

I am for the falling damage, with a but...

One very important thing to learn when you practice Parkour is to roll when you fall from a height.

There are two ways I can see for FPC to change (decrease the impact of) falling damage using this roll technique:

1. Auto-roll. This would be a roll that happens automatically when you fall from a height. The exact height could be predetermined by the system to save us being damaged from a fall of say 2 metres.

2. Manual roll. This roll could have a key binding and we would have to press our Roll key at the crucial moment when landing from a high (2 - 3m) fall. This would be harder to master but would add some quick-thinking and exciting gameplay for those who wished for it.

I think it could work best if both were implemented and Auto-roll could be selected in Options, but if you chose the Manual roll, you could make it from a bigger height since it would actually take some effort to get used to and figure out. The bigger height could act as a bonus/reward for getting it right manually.

Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: Adding this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgPd29MlHpg - Parkour Roll Tutorial.

Last edited:
So now we have falling damage. There are a lot of threads about it, mostly very negative.

I am for the falling damage, with a but...

One very important thing to learn when you practice Parkour is to roll when you fall from a height.

There are two ways I can see for FPC to change (decrease the impact of) falling damage using this roll technique:

1. Auto-roll. This would be a roll that happens automatically when you fall from a height. The exact height could be predetermined by the system to save us being damaged from a fall of say 2 metres.

2. Manual roll. This roll could have a key binding and we would have to press our Roll key at the crucial moment when landing from a high (2 - 3m) fall. This would be harder to master but would add some quick-thinking and exciting gameplay for those who wished for it.

I think it could work best if both were implemented and Auto-roll could be selected in Options, but if you chose the Manual roll, you could make it from a bigger height since it would actually take some effort to get used to and figure out. The bigger height could act as a bonus/reward for getting it right manually.

Any thoughts on this?

regarding my keyboard coordination i'd rather have a fatman suit and roll down :D

I just asked about the Movement system in the Q&A Thread by Marco. I'll be sure to post the answer (if I get one) in here when it comes. Very exciting!

Here's some cool stuff I found recently for your enjoyment!

Keep moving!

Dalas.

i think it was said somewhere that Planet Michael is going to incorporate some dance moves as part of the gameplay. perhaps it will be up to the new planets and their design teams to add these things and make them functional?

(or maybe my overwhelming desire to virtually moonwalk caused me to misunderstand what was written.)

In the mean time... there is a lot of cool climbing challenges in the game... especially now we have fall damage.

For example, can you leap from the top of the skyscraper in PA, land half way down and survive? There used to be a way (not tried in a while).

I keep meaning to start a thread of mini climbing challenges.

Wistrel

In the mean time... there is a lot of cool climbing challenges in the game... especially now we have fall damage.

For example, can you leap from the top of the skyscraper in PA, land half way down and survive? There used to be a way (not tried in a while).

I keep meaning to start a thread of mini climbing challenges.

Wistrel

It's funny but over at my shop I jump off of the cliff near the stairs instead of taking the stairs almost every day to get down to the auction house, and make it a point to try to get the most amount of damage from one spot. Highest I've gotten near the stair well is like 15 points of damage I think. It's funny but sometimes the smallest nudge on a cliff can do more damage then a 20 foot tall drop

More inspiration and big hope for EU: Check this out!

Back