• Can't decide (aka "Just give me EFD")

Votes: 33 12.5%

• Total voters

Perseverance

Guardian
Society
Skillin' Villains
Sange Perseverance Yasha
I know a lot of people say that they had more fun when it was Project Entropia, but what I wonder now is, if you had to choose between Project Entropia as it was or Entropia Universe as it is right now, which one would you choose?

The one you pick would not get updated at all and only one could exist (so you can't go back to EU if you picked PE).

So, simply put: Which version would you prefer playing today?

P.S. I know there's a similar poll (https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...117316-project-entropia-sourcecode-found.html) but it's not the same :)

That is a difficult question I would not even be able to answer.

First my thought was to choose Project Entropia from old days with good old ped in lootwindow and lots of items... The game in itself was primitive, compared to the new cryengine - but the looks is not all.

Back in the old time I just had more fun playing than now - which is more filled with frustration! BUT also my mind around EU is developed so comparing the two would not be fair.

If PE would not change, then there would be no new things, no upgrades - no new experiences. Which I like.

After getting more RAM in my pc I must admit it's much more enjoyable playing the new VU. I'm a sucker for new things to explore - which then fits me fine. There's still bugs (but there was also bugs in PE) - so only thing is, that loot is much more horrible than before and I'm loosing my butt off - but when thinking about it, I'm not sure that changed either ...

Difficult choise :scratch2:

EU hands down..

Sure PE was fun, but it really HAS come a long way.

If they were to change the loot system back to the way it was before though, I'd be DOWN for that.

Project entropua any day. Pref before the ui modernifying :p

I still remember how I would depo by sending real cash in the URL mail and have it ingame some week later. The simpler an mmo looks the more I fall in love with them xP

And I miss how squarey the armor used to be on my red totally red skinned guy with hair shaped as horns.. And globaling in mining under water, killing snables and alike in camp Phoenix around the shipwreck and how some people trapped corns to sweat..

And the first time going to hadesheim all deserted but still awesome...

Or the little ledge to have mobs stand againts beeing unable to attack sweaters just outside pa..

Ahh the memories.

If it were only me I would change it back.. But thinking of an future going bac yields little

Now it's glorified and gloomy, IMO it has lost it's charm,

PE had its advantages and disadvantages
EU as it is today has its advantages and disadvantages

If I could choose a particular time frame, I would have to say I would want the EU that we will have 6 months from now.

Last edited:
dunno, havent tried the new eu yet

First of all, to me it is and always will remain PROJECT Entropia. It's a longterm Project and the playerbase does the Beta testing time after time after time. So I always had and probably will have the feeling that I am in a project rather then in a finished product :laugh:.

It was a very smart move though to rename Project Entropia to Entropia Universe, to get rid of the "project" tag. Since EU, the name at least SOUNDS more like a finished product :rolleyes:.

I thought EU would be the name for the future and MA actually kinda surprised me by re-addressing that name to their technology, the platform, and giving their final end product a new name once again.
To me it's kinda strange that I am now playing "Planet Calypso" even though I always refer to it as Project Entropia when talking about it.

That brings me to my vote. I voted for Project Entropia, because at this time I am still rather confused about the game and the direction it is going. The transfer from PE to EU was not much more then a name change, so I adapted, but from EU to PC it has brought a new Engine, a rather new world, my trusted hunting areas are gone, new planets are coming, the economy is in a severe slowdown etc..

I am confused :silly2:.
But serious, since to me it always will be Project Entropia, I rather just play in the future of the current Entropia Universe, whether on Planet Calypso or other planets.

Hmm, think I need a shrink :laugh:

If they were to change the loot system back to the way it was before though, I'd be DOWN for that.

I was not around in the days of PE so I did not vote... However the above quote made me think...

If loot and the loot system was as good as PE players say it was back in the old days AND MindArk didn't go broke servicing that loot system, then why can't we go back to that way of loot?

MA must have made a profit when the old loot system was in place, even with less players than they have now, otherwise MA wouldn't be around today...

(these are imaginary numbers so all you flamers just relax)
So if they made a profit taking 20% off 2,000 players in PE why do they need to take 50% off 10,000 players in todays EU?:scratch2:

Last edited:
EU wins, but just barely :D PE had it's charm, but new graphics and gameplay and such wins :)

EDIT: Would also like to point out that while I liked to get PED in loot window, I really don't think that there is such a big difference in average loot...

not long term player so i cant choose :confused:

PE. For the simple fact that 100$ took you way longer than now, doing same activity.

A second reason is that graphic wise, it had personality.

And again, MA were not as greedy as now.

For me it still is and alway's will be Project Entropia.

Even if I talk to people in RL about it.

It's a ongoing project about a world that keeps evolving, just like RL.
Personaly I even think that you cant ask that question to be honest.
Compare it to this:
Do you like your kid better now when she/he is 16 or did you like her/him better when she/he was 1 jear old?

Your kid is changed over the years, being it good or bad, but its still your kid. :D

Kind regards.
Ion

Last edited:
That is a difficult question I would not even be able to answer.

First my thought was to choose Project Entropia from old days with good old ped in lootwindow and lots of items... The game in itself was primitive, compared to the new cryengine - but the looks is not all.

Back in the old time I just had more fun playing than now - which is more filled with frustration! BUT also my mind around EU is developed so comparing the two would not be fair.

If PE would not change, then there would be no new things, no upgrades - no new experiences. Which I like.

After getting more RAM in my pc I must admit it's much more enjoyable playing the new VU. I'm a sucker for new things to explore - which then fits me fine. There's still bugs (but there was also bugs in PE) - so only thing is, that loot is much more horrible than before and I'm loosing my butt off - but when thinking about it, I'm not sure that changed either ...

Difficult choise :scratch2:
I just use Lykkes text to explain my thoughts. Change RAM to a new Graphic card.
Did not vote.

I think I have vote for PE

If I want graphics, I can play crysis and such without any additional payment above the purchase price.

Because of the RCE, EU can really only be judge on one factor:

Ammount of Fun / US Dollar = Game Amiability

I agree that EU can be free via sweating, but for me persoanlly, the ammount of fun value will be pretty much zero.

Obviously, memories evolve to how the holder wants them to be, BUT, I truely think I had more fun, for less dollar when it was PE. MA's overheads were far less, which mean't that more player deposits were given as loot to players.

I believe the game has evolved too quickly and the reason is MA have looked at deposited ammounts rather than active user to access how BIG EU had gone. The pronblem with using this evaluation is that CND brought with it, alot of players with big credit cards, hence the hyper inlation that soon followed. I don't think the CE2 release will do the same.

The success of MA now lies with the other planets, not EU (FPC)

Neither.

PE as it was would now be far too bad looking and not meet any important gaming standards.

EU as it is now is in a transition stage in which I would not join and stay.

BUT the way EU is being changed looks quite promising and I can very well see me in here the next 5 years and more to come!

PE. For the simple fact that 100$ took you way longer than now, doing same activity.

A second reason is that graphic wise, it had personality.

And again, MA were not as greedy as now.

this is why adaptation is so important in pe/eu.. if you dont wanna pay 100$ for a hunt then dont, play for less and if you dont wanna pay less (boring) then maybe eu is not for you anymore...

I would spend those money eather way on something fun.. I do think eu is fun but not the only thing thats fun.. eather way Im down 100$ so why not give it to MA...

Definitely Project Entropia ... graphics and fancy features are fine, but game-play and bang for the buck to me is far more important. I too have Crysis and other games where I can enjoy amazing graphics and unique features for a one-time charge, or a low monthly fee to play. I was excited about having my own personal road map, and skill goals planned out, but then came the proverbial brick wall that ended it all.

Even though ... it's nice to learn more from behind the scenes with the latest interviews published on the front page, and knowing that there are even more unique things to come, I have to agree with a comment one person made in the last interview ... (in so many words) ... graphics and unique features are nice to learn about, as well as other things in the pipeline, but putting a mask on a real issue (cost vs. play value) has not been addressed, and until it is, nothing of importance to some will have changed accept the aesthetics.

I started to play PE since 2004,and i liked a lot.;)

PE as it was would now be far too bad looking and not meet any important gaming standards.

Can you point me to those succesful good looking MMORPG on the market?

The most popular out there with its mammooth player base, respectively WoW looks like characters are cut with scissors from paper and their avatar creation still has a limited number of faces where you can select from and that's it. Low polygon count on mobs, on characters, in fact low polygon counts on anything.

The only two MMOS who looked very good are Age of Conan (great graphics, dead game) and Aion (kinda new to say too much about it). Age of Conan, again very limited options in creating avatar, but great landscapes, mobs and item graphics and also weather cycles. But f'ed up gameplay.

Other games with huge succes still have worse graphics than Project Entropia vu 8.0, with much less detail, with much more limited modularity of avatars, and so on and so forth.

What makes a game great is game design & development, looks are somehow secondary, especially in MMO market.

I choose Project Entropia... Any time pre-VU 9.0 is good for me :cool:

" ... Other games with huge succes still have worse graphics than Project Entropia vu 8.0, with much less detail, with much more limited modularity of avatars, and so on and so forth.

What makes a game great is game design & development, looks are somehow secondary, especially in MMO market."

I could not agree more ... while the graphics in a couple of other games that I play are certainly not the caliber of EU, it's the game-play and the developer interaction with both that keep me coming back ... not to mention the bang for the buck feature. I truly love the EU environment and the magic of it all, as well as the fact that FPC is working toward better communication, but ... I do not like being stuck in the middle, and not being able to advance without a heavy investment. This (and a few other reasons) is why my presence in EU has been reduced to less than 5% of what it used to be.

I find Planet Calypso (because I understand this is the name of this game for the next few months) simply annoying. Yesterday I did my last low level mining and hunting fithin few months (as I won't be able to play Entropia for quite a while now) and it was ok, return of 90%. But since VU 10.0 I find it difficult to log in. Bugs are still there and annoying, howling of my GFX when I start playing is annoying, various graphical or animation features are annoying (altough graphics looks quite ok). And when I go out and come back and I know there is no other possibility but to get back with nothing or a hof and nice surplus, I find it also annoying. For me it would be the best if they have kept the previous version, smoothened textures and models and left it be while they work on Crytopia in the background. But since they are small company and short on people, they probably couldn't do this.

I wasn't entirely happy with EU before 10.0 anyway, but for me the best time in Entropia was before 9.0. Maybe after that I just had to many expectations and ambitious plans. It's possible that I can blame only myself as no game developer would provide environment to fulfill them.
As for old PE, with peds in loot, I still remember it. I was a noob back then, so never actually looted anything to show. I knew nothing about the game back then, so I don't want to say it was better or worse. I'm aware of the fact that many people look at old times through the same rose glasses and with sentiment I have for these days. I don't miss peds in loot, as I couldn't sell them with markup. But still, if I could go back to these starting days, with crappy graphics (but zero lag) and start from a scratch in old Entropia 2005/2006, I wouldn't think twice. I would do it for sure.

Neither.

EU as it is now is in a transition stage in which I would not join and stay.

BUT the way EU is being changed looks quite promising and I can very well see me in here the next 5 years and more to come!

Can you point me to those succesful good looking MMORPG on the market?

You quite misunderstood what I meant.
What I mean is that now I would not play PE as it was back when I joined.

Also I never played WoW, no matter how any MMORPG would look you won't see me coming near a subscription based game ever.

What I am talking about is that what I expect from a game would not be met.
This in no way means that a game that would meet my expectations would be automatically successful, quite the contrary would probably be the case.

You mix my personal opinion with a general point of view... its not meant that way.

On that note let me say that I do admire the simple fact that MA still is in business and seems to have managed this transition to the new engine.
The gaming business is one of the toughest markets on this planet and if anybody looks through that market that well that one could predict what a game exactly needs to have success then this person should start up an own gaming company and fast at that!

I would never dare say what is generally good or bad... I just say what I like or not like ;)

To list the games I do like is not allowed by forum rules sadly.

Project Entropia OVER Entropia Universe 100 %.
Entriopia Universe is more like a "Donate your money to Mindark"
While Project Entropia was "Have fun and play, and not so much Greed"

Back