Question: New Graphics Card or more CPU Power?

Cheap and good quality here is a correct motherboard. Asus P5QPL-VM EPU

Thank you mate. Looks quite nice. :)

I'll have to see what my local store can offer it to me for. :silly2:

Get 4770 if you want a good card for decent price. This uses new tech of the newer gen 5xxx(ddr5, low voltage) and you don`t need expensive power supply for it. Has same performance as 4850 card, cheaper and it`s at least 2x better than the 9600gt you`re considering. This card is more than enough to run entropia on max settings.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14137368

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

I think I'll turn over this this card instead if I can find one. The price is nice, sounds like it can do everything I need for my gaming needs. :)

3 Questions:
Will I still need to go up from 450 PSU?

Will I have to get a bigger Case for my computer?

Will it need a CPU Power upgrade to work properly?

Thanks. :)

I think I'll turn over this this card instead if I can find one. The price is nice, sounds like it can do everything I need for my gaming needs. :)

3 Questions:

I edited my previous post:D. Ho and dont go "local store" they are always more expensive than internet. At least, around me, they are all scammers professionals.

I edited my previous post:D. Ho and dont go "local store" they are always more expensive than internet. At least, around me, they are all scammers professionals.

I was like "omfg I love this!" when I saw the Case and all the awesomness. :laugh:

Although I think I'll stick to a PSU from somewhere a little more local. :silly2:

Once again, thank you for your advice, input & information everyone! :yay:

3 Questions:

Dunno how your PC looks like exactly eg how many optical drives, hard drives, bonus pci cards etc. But if you have standard PC 1 Hdd, 1 optical drive etc, 450PSU should work with this card. No need for better. Ofc some PSUs are not real power and rip offs but think you`ll be fine. Worst case scenario: you can always buy a PSU if needs be. Don`t think would be needed however. I`ve recently built up a PC with AMD Phenom2+this card and using an old PSU 400 or 450W and all works fine with 2 hard drives and 1 optical drive.

You say you have dual core CPU already so no need for upgrade there. Entropia is highly GPU dependent as it is atm.

Dunno how your PC looks like exactly eg how many optical drives, hard drives, bonus pci cards etc. But if you have standard PC 1 Hdd, 1 optical drive etc, 450PSU should work with this card. No need for better. Ofc some PSUs are not real power and rip offs but think you`ll be fine. Worst case scenario: you can always buy a PSU if needs be. Don`t think would be needed however. I`ve recently built up a PC with AMD Phenom2+this card and using an old PSU 400 or 450W and all works fine with 2 hard drives and 1 optical drive.

You say you have dual core CPU already so no need for upgrade there. Entropia is highly GPU dependent as it is atm.

Thank you. I feel like I'm getting all the best info to build a economic computer up from scratch, which is good mind you, lets me know where the good and the bad is with doing this kind of stuff. :)

I'd whack the new Gfx card in your existing machine before anything else. After all, what is being suggested is pretty much a whole new system. But then I'm a cheapskate. :laugh:

I'd whack the new Gfx card in your existing machine before anything else. After all, what is being suggested is pretty much a whole new system. But then I'm a cheapskate. :laugh:

Amen! :laugh:

I am prefering just a new Card but if I ever need a new system or a friend does, I cna use this thread as reference.

If anyone has anything to add (if possible) then please do so. This thread is very informative and helpful to people other than myself aswell it would seem. :)

got alot of good ideas from your posts guys ;)

Thanks.

After crimbo i think i might make some additions to my current system ;~0 or build a new one entirely lol.

C

I couldn't find the actual size of the 4870 so is anyone here able to tell me how big it is so I know if I need to do something? Thanks. :)

My 4870 link had the size of the card under "Specification" ;)

I do recommend the 650W PSU for 2 reasons,

1) I tried the 3850 with a 450W and it didnt switch on.
2) 650W has a measure of future proofing so when you upgrade the 4870 to a 58XX card in a couple of years - it'll still work.

Recommended:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514

My 4870 link had the size of the card under "Specification" ;)

I do recommend the 650W PSU for 2 reasons,

1) I tried the 3850 with a 450W and it didnt switch on.
2) 650W has a measure of future proofing so when you upgrade the 4870 to a 58XX card in a couple of years - it'll still work.

Recommended:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514

Thanks mate. I'll be sure to buy one when I can. :)
Especially if my computer wont turn on. :laugh:

Hey,

Thanks for all the input. I haven't been able to login with my Win2k, 512 MB Ram pc since the VU so it's time to spring for a new system.

I don't have the bucks to spend on a $1200 pc so the input here is great. Thanks everyone!

Strangelove

Hey,

Thanks for all the input. I haven't been able to login with my Win2k, 512 MB Ram pc since the VU so it's time to spring for a new system.

I don't have the bucks to spend on a $1200 pc so the input here is great. Thanks everyone!

Strangelove

Which is why I love this thread atm, it's helping many other people. :)

Be careful when buying a PSU, some motherboards have a 20 pin connector and some a 24 pin connector - I found this out the hard way and had to send one PSU back.

Some PSU's like the one I linked to above have :

20+4pin power connector - so they work with both older and newer motherboard designs.

:)

Ok everyone here is my final decision to make.
I can post all the specs of my computer if need be.

Ok, the people who built my computer say that a ATI Radeon 4850 is unstable with the hardware. Their recommendation is a Nvidia GTS 250.

Should the 250 be the way to go or take a chance and go for the 4850 and see if my computer likes it?

Thank you everyone, once again. :)

Both.............word is born!

Jamhot

Ok everyone here is my final decision to make.
I can post all the specs of my computer if need be.

Ok, the people who built my computer say that a ATI Radeon 4850 is unstable with the hardware. Their recommendation is a Nvidia GTS 250.

Should the 250 be the way to go or take a chance and go for the 4850 and see if my computer likes it?

Thank you everyone, once again. :)

By all means post the specs.

I'd imagine they are on some sort of commission if they recommend Nvidia over ATI with the excuse that ATI is "unstable". ;)

I've only used ATI and recommend that purely because I'm familiar with it - if both cards are similarly powerful for about the same money - the choice will be yours. :)

Ok, I'm back and I have myself a Nvidia GTS 250 and it looks absolutely awesome. :D

I can play Entropia smoothly and high + a few V. High. :)

Thank you everyone for your help and input would have been harder to choose without you all! :)

Ok, I'm back and I have myself a Nvidia GTS 250 and it looks absolutely awesome. :D

I can play Entropia smoothly and high + a few V. High. :)

Thank you everyone for your help and input would have been harder to choose without you all! :)

Fantastic news - enjoy the eye candy! :wtg:

Back