The Battle For Power - Longu Edition (January)

Oleg

Mutated
Oleg Oleg McMullery
Entropian Events and Qetesh present

The Battle for Power:
Longu Edition

It's a new month and time to continue the Battle for Power!
Carry on reading to find out how YOU can become a land-owner by playing!​

The event takes place on Outback Area 29, Longu Kingdom. This area is west of New Oxford TP or south of Emerald Lakes. The mobs spawning here are mid-level Longus (mainly Guardian-Alpha).

vu10.0_bfp_map.jpg

This Month's Government

Magistrate
Yay spreadit Monk

Knights
Petrus PM Molinos
Moraine Lynn Troskald

Council Members
Cedrick Lem Wales
Hedores Hedaya Cassapaya
Devon Deeveon Knight
We Are Having FUN Now
givendale chevrons skelton
PopFuzz Poppy Fuzzy
Dorlune Dor Themage
Perry foShizzle Elroy
Cozmoz CD Deluex
Lisa Liz Castillo

Next month's government will be chosen at the end of January. The government will from that day on receive 33% of the total profit from this land area to be split between them!

How is the Tax Divided?

The government consists of a Magistrate, two Knights and ten Council Members.

The Magistrate will automatically get a fixed 8% of the total profit. The Knights will get 2.5% each. The Council Members will get a minimum of 1% each. The remaining 10% will then be split amongst all the members of the government in portions equal to their point portion of the government. For instance, if the members of the government have 1000 points in total and you have 200 points, you would get 20% of the 10%, so 2% (in addition to the minimum) of the total profit per day.

For the purposes of calculating the additional tax share, all globals count towards your score, not just the Top 8.

Government Titles to Claim

• Magistrate (1) - 8% share
  • Knights (2) - 2.5% share
  • Council Members (10) - 1% share

How to Gain Power

You must prove yourself worthy of the 'honorary titles' for this land by submitting your globals and HoFs in this thread. Only your 8 highest globals/hofs will count!

The players with the highest total scores at the end of each month are 'honored' with their deserved titles and tax rewards. Each PED of your global scores a point, so a 50 PED global is worth 50 Points. There is a 400 point limit on all HoFs, so if you HoF for 2000 PEDs you will still only score 400 Points.

Mining

It is also possible to score from mining! Up to 4 of your top 8 globals can be from mining. Each mining global or HoF will be capped at 300 PED, similar to the 400 PED hunting HoF limit.

At the start of each month everyone's score is reset to zero!

Teams

Teams are very welcome to take part. Your team must have the same name throughout the entire event and screenshots must be posted by the same person every time, without exception. You can play as a solo competitor and also host or be part of a team but your solo and team scores will be separate and cant be added to make a single larger total. You are free to change the other members of your team but you always have to be the one posting and you always have to be in the team. There is also a 400 point limit on all HoFs for teams.

Bonus Points

Should you happen to meet a player on this land area with a government status higher than yours, you can gain 2 bonus points by typing in the chat box "Hail, Your Greatness!", clearly identifying the person, and taking a screenshot. The recipient will gain 1 point for allowing you to speak to them :silly2:

You can only get these extra points once every 24 hours for each person of superior rank that you hail.

:)

Additional Prizes

Each week we award a 50 PED prize to the competitor with the most points scored during that week (Top 8 globals plus bonus points). The dates for this will be:

• January 1st - 10th
  • January 11th - 17th
  • January 18th - 24th
  • January 25th - 31st

Screenshots

All screenshots should be clear and easy to read and must include your position, time and global message in the chat window. All screenshots must be submitted to this thread within 48 hours after the global or HoF.

During the last 24 hours of the month, no globals older than 2 hours will be accepted.

Please don't edit your old posts. If you have to change or add a screenshot, make a new post.

Payment Times

Anyone owed prizes from prior months can collect their share from Qetesh at Nea's Place TP at the following meetings:

• Friday 8 January, 1900
  • Friday 8 January, 2300

This list will be updated with details of future meetings.

I hope we will see some worthy contestants fighting over the titles this month. If there are not enough people to claim all the titles, then these positions will stand empty and their portions of the tax will be split amongst the other members of the government.

Best of luck to all that participate!

Last month's competition: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/events/172152-battle-power-longu-edition-december.html

See also: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/events/175569-battle-power-armax-edition-january.html

Last edited:
Happy New Year everybody.
My start this year:

58 Oil mining
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

56 ped

70ped

thats:
58+56+70= 184

-Monk

Having 4 people on this months government that got their by hail points alone just doesn't seem right to me at all. Therefore, I wish to propose a change to the rules.

I believe hail points should only count if you first qualify by getting at least 1 global. Getting on the government through hail points alone should not be allowed. The whole purpose of the event is to generate revenue and hailing alone doesn't do that.

Instead, in months when participation is low, the % that would normally go to unfilled council seats should be divided equally amongst those that earned their seat through at least one qualifying global. One global in an entire month is not that hard to get with a little effort. 2 hail points only requires a government member on your FL & 2 minutes time.

What do we need to do to get the rule changed?

Thanks for posting your suggestion Deeveon. I'd be interested to hear views from others, and if the government decide on a rule change then perhaps we can do something :)

As I said to you in PM, the present rules clearly don't prohibit someone from being a member of the government through hail points only, so the question is not whether the current government is valid or correct, but whether a rule should be added or changed in the future.

My view is, if you don't like people getting into the government through hail points, then it's easy to beat them by getting a global. Tell your friends to come along and fill those empty places, or make a team to try for some points. As a member of the government, and holder of a tax share, it's in your interest to be doing that anyway - a busy competition is good for all of you :)

The people who got onto the government through hail points only did so because there weren't enough hunters - if we had more hunters, this wouldn't be an issue.

What do we need to do to get the rule changed?

Come on Deeveon, you have known the rules for a LONGU time. So all I have to say is if you dont like the rules dont play the game.

I spent many hours trying to global solo, Over 2K ped in ammo and had no luck last month. Got 2 globals when we teamed up on last day. My Wife, Moraine, had much better luck last month. Many menbers of the goverment have been there thru a hail over the run of this event.

In the word of the legendary band the Eagles, GET OVER IT. ;)

Happy New Year everybody.
My start this year:

58 Oil mining

-Monk

Grats for the great start, and on your first mining global :wtg:

Thanx Dorlune for the gratz, I am a real mining noob and I am very happy to get my first mining global:yay:

-Monk

Thanks for posting your suggestion Deeveon. I'd be interested to hear views from others, and if the government decide on a rule change then perhaps we can do something :)

As I said to you in PM, the present rules clearly don't prohibit someone from being a member of the government through hail points only, so the question is not whether the current government is valid or correct, but whether a rule should be added or changed in the future.

My view is, if you don't like people getting into the government through hail points, then it's easy to beat them by getting a global. Tell your friends to come along and fill those empty places, or make a team to try for some points. As a member of the government, and holder of a tax share, it's in your interest to be doing that anyway - a busy competition is good for all of you :)

The people who got onto the government through hail points only did so because there weren't enough hunters - if we had more hunters, this wouldn't be an issue.

As a true Magistrate:) I will give my view on the reply from Deeveon. I must say that I agree with Deeveon that last months results are a bit unbalanced. Between 4th place (353 points, several globals) and last 4 places ( 2 points, 1 hail) is only 1% difference in tax reward. The hailing rule seems to give room at the moment to get some friends an easy ped in.

I am always for shearing the peds, so I don't have any problem for last months results. But I say -make it a bit harder to earn those easy peds-. Why not change the rule so that someone has to hail 2 different people ( time can be between them) to earn those 2-3 points. This will probably solve the amoung friends hailing.

Come on Deeveon, you have known the rules for a LONGU time. So all I have to say is if you dont like the rules dont play the game.
Lol Dorlune, rules are there only to be bent or broken:)

-Monk

Last edited:
The hail point system has been debated on here before. I could just hail Moraine everday and still get 1% for 60 hail points. A person could hang out a revival and hail people when they show up, thus getting different people.

As a member of the councel I can only hail 3 people but I can get everone to hail me at the revival. As I have stated before, there has been many members of the goverment thru a single hail. The system does work, and has worked for a longu while.

Cozmoz CD got in on a hail last month and now he is hunting longu. Same for Lisa Liz (just no globals yet :/)

And as Oleg said, if you dont want people in the goverment thru hails, get your friends to come join the fun. If your not worried they will beat you lol.

I don't see where a rule was broken, and if it is not broke you don't have to fix it.

For what it's worth...My 2 cents :)

I can verify that Dor spent many hours & alot of ped hunting longu with no results....So Deeveon how many hours did you hunt to get your 1 global.....are you saying you are more deserving to be on the government than Dor just because you got lucky with less than 5 min to go for the month?....You should just be happy that you got a global.....and you knocked out Alex....who would have made it into the government if you hadn't gotten lucky...

I would also like to add that Cozmoz ..who made it into the government by hailing Dor last month.....got the very first global for this year & month....Seems to me that if there are empty slots to be filled in the government then filling them is a good idea...how else do you build interest.

Dor & I love these two competitions....I'm an extremely competitive person...I welcome the challange but also understand there is a luck factor as well....hailing isn't luck...it's taking action.

I challenge everyone involved to tell others about these competitions & get more people involved.

I also want to say that what drew me to compete the very first time in the Longu competition was the fact that a couple people got on the government with only hail points.....& I thought to myself...."that can be me if I just get 1 global"....& now I am a real competitor..winning Armax for the month & 3rd place for longu.....I also picked up 4 weekly prizes of 50 ped each.....so bring on the competition & make it harder for me....lol

GL ALL!!!

Wow 1 hail causes a giant debate like this lol, cool. Well I have already got 1 global of 60 ped and have lost way more than 400 ped trying for a second one so it seems to me that if i keep up at this rate i will have added a whole lot of ped to everyone elses global pool and also way way way earned my 1% commisiion and its ony the 3rd day. Also I would like to add unless I am extremely lucky i am not much of a threat to anyone in the higher positions and that luck has not been there. TY dor for talking me into this and well said on your post. Now all Lets hunt some longu!!!!

And just because people get in by a hail doesn't mean that we didnt spend any ped out there hunting or mining. When i went out i was mining in the LA and i killed a few of the mobs that was there. Next time would you like me to take screeenshots of every attempt? for proof?

Hailing

Hi guys,

first of all I have to say I´m sorry... seems like I started it all (again).
But I think it would be better to get more people in and try to fight for power than to restrict participation.

More posts, more bumps, more attention... the rest is up to the community.

I remember the June Edition of the Battle For Power, where I wasn´t able to get onto the gouvernment with 333 points on my name (https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-power-longu-edition-june-17.html#post1948850).

Cheers,

Perry

Last edited:
OK I think I have been hunting Longu too long....having bad dreams....& took screenshots to show.....for the fun......

Longu floating in the air where I can't shoot them & visions of loot that i can't retrieve.....LOL

and the battle heats up........:wtg:

89 ped & 227 ped

3 hails for me... since 1 hail didnt get me in last month's i might get in with 3 lol

these might help 2 lol

Well it was fun tonight, lots of action and globals. Gratz everybody, thanx for the nice hails too:laugh:

My global:56

Total:
58+56+70+56= 240

-Monk

First off, I didn't say anyone did anything wrong last month. What I think is happening is that the rules are contributing to the lack of hunting. It seems that people (myself included lately) are doing the bare minimum to get on the government.

If you want to get me re-energized in the monthly event, then increase the payout to those that put in the most effort. In fact, I want to change my suggestion. Instead of distributing the unfilled seat % to all qualifying council members equally, distribute it 1/2 to the magistrate and 1/4 each to the knights instead. Increase the prize pool for the top 3 spots and then the top 3 spots become more worth fighting for.

Besides, it seems only logical that when participation is low that we should cut back the number of council seats. Make the prizes worth fighting for and the hunters will come, just like they do any other event. When participation is low, the current rules encourage doing the minimum and so I think a change is needed to turn things around.

And to put my money where my mouth is, I'll kick-in my 1.6% for January to the prize pool for January's winner (February's magistrate).

If you want to get me re-energized in the monthly event, then increase the payout to those that put in the most effort. In fact, I want to change my suggestion. Instead of distributing the unfilled seat % to all qualifying council members equally, distribute it 1/2 to the magistrate and 1/4 each to the knights instead. Increase the prize pool for the top 3 spots and then the top 3 spots become more worth fighting for.

This is an interesting idea but I don't see how it relates to the original suggestion. If anything it would surely reduce the likelihood of the government places being filled, because it would be in the interest of some competitors for that not to happen.

Deeveon;2241454]

If you want to get me re-energized in the monthly event, then increase the payout to those that put in the most effort.

Simple question.....how do you decide who puts in the most effort? You CANNOT base that on globals & HOFS.....

My 89 ped global was hit on the 3rd longu that I shot for the month. That is luck not effort. When I hit for the 227 ped global the same night I hadn't even gone thru 100 ped worth of ammo yet...so again more good fortune....but not really a whole lot of effort.

Monk has hit 4 globals so far and I believe he has probably put more effort into this month than I have.....yet his 4 = 240 ped....my 3 = 500 ped....

The REAL EFFORT
involved is keeping yourself from crying when you have spent 3-5 hours & lots & lots of ped with nothing to show for it....watching person after person hit for globals while you are out there.

Also, since the prizes are based on percentages then obviously the more people hunting means greater payout for the top 3......so point that out to your friends....and get them into the competition....if 100 people were competing then 1st place would be worth quite a bit.....and the little bit given to 10th-13th places wouldn't make much difference except to keep it interesting.

Happy Hunting All :)

my third for the month :) 184 ped (this one took a little more effort, lol)

This is an interesting idea but I don't see how it relates to the original suggestion.

I'm not sure you quite understood, so let me say what the new suggestion is in its entirety:

The new rule should be that you need at least 1 global to qualify for a seat. For any seats that go unfilled, the combined percentage of the unfilled seats is distributed to the magistrate and the 2 knights in the following ratio:

Magistrate - 50%
Knights - 25% each

So, in the case of this month, 4 seats would have gone unfilled equalling 4%. The magistrate (monk) would receive an extra 2% and the knights (PM & Morgaine) would each get an extra 1% from January's revenue.

This way the goverment expands & contracts automatically in proportion to the number of participants each month and helps keep the payouts more attractive to would-be participants who will battle it out for the top 3 spots. And let's face it, most months it's the top 3 that, combined, turn-over more PED than the other 10 combined. So, why shouldn't the top 3 get more compensation in the months when participation is low?

The months I was battling it out with angelo, dorlune, sherwood, etc., we were battling for 500-1000 PED revenue for top spot each month and one month I posted 58 globals. What's top spot been paying lately...200 PED? The revenue is spread too thin to be attractive anymore.

If anything it would surely reduce the likelihood of the government places being filled, because it would be in the interest of some competitors for that not to happen.

As for seats getting filled, how does it decrease the chances that they fill up? It's not like the top 3 can prevent people from participating. If anything it increase the likelihood they get filled because it provides reassurance to the participants that in months when participation is low, the unclaimed revenue will go to those that put in the most effort. It also provides incentive to be one of the top 3 thereby contributing to the "battle for power" theme. The more people battle it out for the top 3 spots, the more peds get turned over, the higher the revenue for everyone. I think it's win-win all the way. Or am I overlooking something?

How is it spread any thinner than it was before? It has the same exact setup! The difference in the pay is the # of people participating. Why isn't Angelo hunting longu anymore? He knows better than anyone how much 1st place can be worth. In my early months of competing in this competition there was no way i could have come in the top 3 even with alot of luck...I was not skilled enough....& didn't have the ped. What kept me competing was 4th thru 13th places, mostly hoping I could atleast secure a spot for myself. If this competition was set up to only pay the top 3 then I never would have gotten involved.

I believe the real reason there aren't as many people competing is because alot of people stopped playing period. Our society was growing rapidly before MA changed everything. Now over half of our members that were regularly playing no longer are (basically because their computers won't let them). Dor , Alex & I all used to play at the same time..now we have to share 1 really good computer & 1 that is so-so. We can no longer all get together and hunt at the same time.

If we all just spread the word about this competition then I believe it can be better than ever. You should be telling your society mates & friends that "hey for very little effort you could possibly be in this government and if you want to make some pretty decent ped then compete hard to win the weekly prize & a higher seats". Everyone loves free ped....& that is how I look at my weekly & monthly winnings...as free ped. I'm going to hunt no matter what. So I might as well hunt where I can get more for my buck.

Basically this is what I'm saying: The system is great the way it is!!!! It just needs more people added to make it even better!!!!

Basically this is what I'm saying: The system is great the way it is!!!! It just needs more people added to make it even better!!!!

In that case, when can I meet you in the LA so I can get 2 hail points for January? And then I'll take my chances as to whether those 2 points are good enough to land me a spot on the government.

In that case, when can I meet you in the LA so I can get 2 hail points for January? And then I'll take my chances as to whether those 2 points are good enough to land me a spot on the government.

Glad you finally came around. Now we can end this and get back to hunting.

As for seats getting filled, how does it decrease the chances that they fill up? It's not like the top 3 can prevent people from participating. If anything it increase the likelihood they get filled because it provides reassurance to the participants that in months when participation is low, the unclaimed revenue will go to those that put in the most effort. It also provides incentive to be one of the top 3 thereby contributing to the "battle for power" theme. The more people battle it out for the top 3 spots, the more peds get turned over, the higher the revenue for everyone. I think it's win-win all the way. Or am I overlooking something?

The difference is that, at present, if there are, say, 3 unfilled government places with 2 days to go, the participants can encourage their friends to fill those places, which boosts the total tax revenue, so it is an advantage to them if they are also a member of the government.

With your suggestion, it would be better for the current participants to keep quiet about it, keep the government places unfilled, and therefore get more taxes for themself.

There is already a substantial high-weighting in the prizes. The Magistrate gets 8 times the base taxes that a Council Member does. The incentive you are looking for already exists.

Back