Skills vs Professions

Svenn

Alpha
Society
Seeds of War
Svenn Svenn Ethir
I know what a skill is and I know what a profession is. I realize that professions are based off of skills. However, which ones are used for what? Do skills do anything at all other than determine your professions levels?

Example:
Say I have level 3 Laser Sniper (Hit). Would it matter if I had a really high Aim or a really high Laser Weaponry Tech? Would having a really high Aim increase my chances to hit more, or does that not matter?

And here you can get details on what skills affect what profession and in what amount: http://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php

Exactly how it affect you is impossible to say, but the _visible_ effects points to that its the professions that matter, and that skills just adds up to the professions.

(for example the hit/crit numbers, CoS in crafting, efficiency of tools etc)

Thanks guys. As I said, I know all about the what a skill is, what a profession is, and how skills affect professions. It just wasn't clear what either one really did. I've been using entropedia to look up which skills affect which professions, and assuming that skills themselves did nothing except determine profession levels.

Thanks guys. As I said, I know all about the what a skill is, what a profession is, and how skills affect professions. It just wasn't clear what either one really did. I've been using entropedia to look up which skills affect which professions, and assuming that skills themselves did nothing except determine profession levels.

Yep and give hp.

Yep and give hp.

Ah yes, there is that also, good point. So, determine professions and HP, but the individual skill values don't seem to matter beyond that. The professions determine hit/crit/damage/mining/SIB/whatever else.

It just wasn't clear what either one really did. I've been using entropedia to look up which skills affect which professions, and assuming that skills themselves did nothing except determine profession levels.

what you will find in entropedia, or in the chipping optimizer, is all the public info that the community has figured out so far.

but there are rumors, urban legends and such saying that individual skills or attributes do have their own effect.

i've heard people claiming that 2 avas with similar evader level, but 1 of them with extremely higher agility, don't perform equally evading attacks (the one with higher agility evades better).

is that true? no idea. definitely, there are no tests backing up those claims.

is that true? no idea. definitely, there are no tests backing up those claims.

As Richard Dawkins says in The Enemies of Reason,

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

I do find it amusing that the people who claim these things never log weapon expenditure, collateral expenses, skill gains, or anything else for that matter. :scratch2: In fact, asking them to provide any hard evidence (which is easier than ever before with automated chat logging) seems to be completely ignored.

Back