Lootable PvP, Damage Enhancers, Teaming and YOU!

Hijacker27

Marauder
Society
Crimson Devils
hijacker Hijacker27 inferno
The Backstory

So there I was, blowing up drones for my skill testing thread, when I saw a 3.1K PED blaus hof scroll by on chat. I looked at the name (akishaz aki fiolog), and said to my self (and society), "I bet that's in PvP4". So I finished up my run, quickly wrote up my blog, and headed to akmuul.

Donning my armour (a rag tag mix of martial, lich, infiltrator and sala SGA), I grabbed some bombs, probes, and ammo and tp'd into PvP4 in search of this claim (and some of my own along the way). As I pressed the teleport button the second time to continue my search, I noticed a green dot appear as I left (so I teleported back and killed it), and noticed this green dot was in the same society as akishaz. Chances were, the gd was on its way to help akishaz get his claim out, so I noted where he was, and made a mental note of his trajectory. I then made a quick sweep around the area (and found nothing), so I tp'd a few more times around PVP4, looking elsewhere. My searches turned up nothing, so I headed back to where I initially thought the claim would be. My prediction turned out correct, as I teleported almost directly onto the claim.

Unfortunaly, the claim was being guarded by Karlos (I believe of Warning to Society) so aki must have gotten away while I repeatedly shot Karlos in the back. I then left and checked my FL to see who would be interested in helping steal the claim. Only Pupa was online, so I sent him a PM asking if he'd like to do some PKing (he said yes) and we headed back to the claim. Unfortunately, nobody was there, so he went back to killing Mulaak'f. However, on my next sweep by the area, I noticed there were additional dots guarding the claim. Since I'm not exactly an uber, I decided to call up Pupa again, and we went to the claim. We fought bravely, but there were 4 of them, and only 2 of us (and we weren't exactly organised), so we ended up back at the revive terminal a couple times (and only taking a few of them with us). Pupa then had to go, and I was back to running around the zone by myself again.

A few minutes later, I checked my FL again, and saw that Joker Poker Uber Smoker was online, so I called him up and asked him if he wanted an attempt at the claim. Same thing happened, we weren't as organised, and were outgunned; making the return trip to the revive terminal. Since we were outnumbered, Joker got the idea to even up the odds and invited some of his friends to the hunt. We sent them to the revival terminal a couple times, but they then called in Foudil. We then got more reinforcements (and pupa logged back in), but they then added more of their own. Long story short, it ended up being a miniature land grab (claim grab), in the north-west region of PvP4.

Each team had their fair share of firepower (sets of eon, ML-45s, lr66s, al29s, tons of damage enhancers, etc), however the other team always seemed to one up us. A few dozen toxic shots later, our team decided we had had enough, and went our own ways. In the end, I don't think anybody actually managed to get any blaus off of akishaz, but it was a ton of fun, and I believe everybody had a wonderful time.

What I learned

Although I've spent my fair share of time in PVP4, this is the first time in VU10 that I've experienced a war that has included upwards of 20 people at once. From this experience, I've had the opportunity to decide some things about the recent changes in PVP.

Damage Enhancers

With the enhancer system, along came a new dynamic to player vs player combat. Previously, if you owned a decent set of armour (eon, infiltrator, hermes, etc) and a nice enough FAP (at least ur125), you were nearly invincible to anybody that couldn't use an LR65 or larger. While I've nearly got the LR65 maxed, I decided to use a tiered up LR53 instead ('only' tier 6). With this gun I made many a kill against players with this kind of set-up, sometimes doing 100+ damage through plated eon with such a 'mild' PK weaponry. I'm sure Foudil wasn't too happy about being killed by such a weapon, the few times I got a kill shot in. The days of pea shooters versus tanks are long gone, and many a time, it's whomever got the first shot in, that got the last shot in as well.

Rocket Launchers

These weapons are difficult to use, as unlike every other weapon in the game, they move slowly and are easy to dodge (The AoE is really small now, and I believe they pass through people, meaning you have to hit their feet to do full damage). However, when you DO hit, they are definitely deadly (pending you can use anything higher than V-rex 1000), and the smoke they kick up when they explode adds a new level to combat, making it difficult to see (and therefore hit your target). There were times where each team was firing barrages of rockets at each other, and it felt like a real war zone, it was chaos.

The Terrain

For the most part, I HATE the way Mindark/FPC has designed PvP4 in VU10. It's covered in ridiculous hills, making it almost impossible to move around, for miners, hunters, and pk'ers alike (possibly one of the reasons there's hardly anybody in the zone any more). However, the area we were in had a nice layout for large PvP battles. We found that the best tactic for winning was using the hills as cover, and dragging our foes towards us, because they couldn't hit us from a distance. We would then ambush them as a group as they came over the hill, temporarily evening out the odds. The team that had the higher ground definitely had the advantage, and planning our path of attack was essential in inflicting casualties upon the enemy.

In Closing

Many people have stated that VU10 negatively affected PVP combat, and that it was no longer any fun to fight it out in PvP4. However, I must say that it has changed from whomever has the bigger gun, to whomever has the better team, and takes advantage of what resources they have available to them. I know I had a blast (even though I probably spent 300 PED and didn't get any sleep).

Thanks again to all that showed up to fight it out, I hope you all had as much fun as I did.

Was fun to eat some PK decay again ...... (PK still not the same as in vu9)

Damn, I missed all the fun. :(
I started PvP after VU10 so I can't say much about pre VU10 was but I think you have VU10 spot on.

Now it's harder to reach a god like status in pvp.

Everybody can tier up a lr59-66, slap a pk amp higher then shear pro 600 and kill easily someone in medium pk armor.

Nice story Hijacker :) to bad I missed the fun :(

PS: I saw once a lr59, tiered up to lvl 9, with dmg enhancers on it. Man that biatch stings :laugh:

ya sounded like a blast :sniper::rocket:

Yeah nice story Hijacker and im sure it was fun for every1:). Im glad it wasn't me who hit that 3k blaus in pvp. Not sure if any1 could help me to pull it out :)

great story

Thanks for sharing, it was a great story. I wish I had 300 ped like you might to spend on that kinda thing! I have really been wanting to get into that zone more. It doesn't entice as much now that attackers can be found elsewhere, and I don't mine too much because I do feel so vulnerable. It is good to hear that I have some hope of doing something there though.
What I have done is what you said... I pay attention to my surroundings, keeping large hills and stuff near me. I try not go out in the open or where I can't run to a hill quickly. Hopefully that can give me enough time to jump away, which may or may not help at all.
It's funny cause all I wanna do is survive, I have no plan to be a killer anytime soon. Leave that to the ubers or those are able to spend some Ks of ped.:eek:

was good even managed to get a PVP global off Foudil when we killed their team... i think we swept their team a few times... without foudil would have been a lot easier... i did notice however... the cb28 someone was using was doing a great deal of dmg... either because a fat amp or lots of enhancers... (since i had big blp protection in my armour i noticed this)

I have that h36 sau thing that does a nice amount of dmg ( 240dmg x 51 shots a min) but not enough range to get to most when u got 4 people shooting at ya :)

was a lot of fun for all...

i see 1 huge problem though...

MA has outpaced gun dmg... with avatar grwoth... guns are far to powerful now...
With uber amps 50+ dmg and a tier 10 weapon someone can do almost 400 dmg a shot... which is pretty insane... and there is no one that can outlast this type of dmg... even in the most uber armour and fap...

was good even managed to get a PVP global off Foudil when we killed their team... i think we swept their team a few times... without foudil would have been a lot easier... i did notice however... the cb28 someone was using was doing a great deal of dmg... either because a fat amp or lots of enhancers... (since i had big blp protection in my armour i noticed this)

I have that h36 sau thing that does a nice amount of dmg ( 240dmg x 51 shots a min) but not enough range to get to most when u got 4 people shooting at ya :)

was a lot of fun for all...

i see 1 huge problem though...

MA has outpaced gun dmg... with avatar grwoth... guns are far to powerful now...
With uber amps 50+ dmg and a tier 10 weapon someone can do almost 400 dmg a shot... which is pretty insane... and there is no one that can outlast this type of dmg... even in the most uber armour and fap...

Maybe it balances out with the armor enhancers? which seldom people will attempt to get as getting an eon to tier 10 will hurt... at least more likely to hurt :p

Yeah, this is one of the few problems I see with the current system. Everybody will eventually have high-tiered guns stocked full of damage enhancers, and hp/armour and faps will become useless for PvP.. UNLESS Mindark introduces more (and easier) ways to gain a significant amount of HP, or increases the effect of armour defence and medical tool heal enhancers.

Either reduce the effect of damage enhancers from 10% to something more reasonable, such as 5%, or increase the effect of armour defense and heal enhancers from 5% to 10%..

sweet story, too bad I missed the fight, Woulda been fun. :D

I enjoy the new pk system , With high tier rockets/lrs none goes safe that pretty cool :p

Now it's harder to reach a god like status in pvp.

Everybody can tier up a lr59-66, slap a pk amp higher then shear pro 600 and kill easily someone in medium pk armor.

Nice story Hijacker :) to bad I missed the fun :(

PS: I saw once a lr59, tiered up to lvl 9, with dmg enhancers on it. Man that biatch stings :laugh:

mine is at tier 7 atm , with tier numbers that will make it reach 10 with more than 100 ped tt left on it.

tiering has for sure changed pk.

But i have the following wishes for pk.

1. Make radar jammed also in lootable pvp areas. ( not only at rig )

2. Make real aiming skills count , remove "hit everytime" thing....

3. Black out all HP bars in radar jammed pvp area. ( pvp4 also )

cheers

ermik

Good story :) Sounds like and awsome claim-grab! would have been nervouse as hell if it was my claim thou :laugh:

mine is at tier 7 atm , with tier numbers that will make it reach 10 with more than 100 ped tt left on it.

tiering has for sure changed pk.

But i have the following wishes for pk.

1. Make radar jammed also in lootable pvp areas. ( not only at rig )

2. Make real aiming skills count , remove "hit everytime" thing....

3. Black out all HP bars in radar jammed pvp area. ( pvp4 also )

cheers

ermik

I agree with you, pvp4 would become much more interesting :)

kick ass story HJ :))

lol sounds like a blast, and a learning experience, very nice.

Yes, I was on my way to help Aki :) Nice shooting lol

Great story!

And about Pvp! Seems like MA/FPC don't like how the last LG was ended up. Maybe that's why they introduce enhancers so the LG grabs will take longer time and more ammo will be spend!? To make it easier for the big mass to have a chance to fight over the LA:s!

Now Warants can get some allies to, just some low skilled players with alot of enhancers that can easily do alot of help! :)

And any comment from claim owner, did they scared you? :))

Peace and gl

Back