World Cup 2010 thread

Good prediction. :)

Darn, I had Nani in my Sun Dream Team but I think he's out for the rest of the World Cup?

http://www.dreamteamfc.com/worldcup/

Still, got Fabiano also and he looks a good buy.

When the transfer window opens which of the Portuguese goal scorers should I pick to replace Nani please?

(this question is mainly aimed at Portuguese members of EF) :)
Nani got out before the world cup start due to an injured clavicle.
Goal scorers? Not sure which will score more as there's noone that will play for sure every match. And there is another thing. Generally, our middlefield players have the good habit to score. Example: Tiago is a middlefield and scored 2 goals today. Same with Meireles.
If you want a striker, then Liedson or Hugo Almeida.

If you want a good replacement for Nani, go for Tiago. Or Meireles.

All your World Cup are belong to us! :lift:

... for great Justice!

OXO the famous stock cube maker has designed a cube to support England, it's white with a red cross on it, it's called the LAUGHING STOCK!

Seems the next England game is to be shown on the Gay TV channel :( apparently the sight of 11 assholes being pounded for 90 mins is too much for terrestrial TV :(

If you want a good replacement for Nani, go for Tiago. Or Meireles.

Thanks for the info Naifas...yes, watched the match and remember those names...I'll post who I went for. :)

Edit: hmmm...I could get Gonzalo Higuain of Argentina for the money I get from selling Nani...not sure now.

Edit 2: brought in a different Argentina striker for Nani, can't remember his name, and swapped Villas for Ronaldo .

Last edited:
Some pretty awesome soccer so far (have the portuguese fans sobered up yet :D ? )

Today, as a nation, SA is praying for a miracle..... we need a swing of 5 in the goal difference IF Mexico and Uruguay do NOT draw. Pretty bleak prospect, but hope springs eternal (and dies last).

I trust my fellow Calypsans who are over here for the cup are having a great time, regardless. :wtg:

Still sober.. :( i had to work right after the match and today started early. But my throat is sour from all the yelling! :yay: I'm basically aphonic today.

Still sober.. :( i had to work right after the match and today started early. But my throat is sour from all the yelling! :yay: I'm basically aphonic today.

:cool: I'm halfway there myself right now.... obrigado Uruguay :yay: Now if we hit 2 more ourselves, bye-bye lungs :D

:cool: I'm halfway there myself right now.... obrigado Uruguay :yay: Now if we hit 2 more ourselves, bye-bye lungs :D

That was close! Sorry to see SA go, but hey, they were almost qualified! And there were not the last of the group, well above france.

And what was up with France's coach, who refused a handshake of SA coach at the end of SA-France match? :confused: What a shamefull behavior.

And what was up with France's coach, who refused a handshake of SA coach at the end of SA-France match? :confused: What a shamefull behavior.

Especially when considering SA is hosting the whole thing... :eek:

Half time England 1 - 0 Slovenia

C'MON ENGLAND!! Hold that thought! :yay:

EDIT: YAY England are through!!!

Last edited:
Half time England 1 - 0 Slovenia

C'MON ENGLAND!! Hold that thought! :yay:

EDIT: YAY England are through!!!

Much better England! :yay:

Who will they play next though...Germany?

Penalties? :eek:

My frayed nerves won't stand it! :laugh:

Better, but I wouldn't say much better. We'll need to improve again to beat the likes of Germany, Argentina etc.

I just wanna say GRATZ to the US team, they fought for it pretty hard and deserved to go through to the 1/8 finals.

Tomorrow Holland against Cameroon, which only is for the winner in the group. The Dutch team will keep a few players in the dugout who have some yellow cards already, but probably 9 of them are the same as the first 2 matches. Maybe even Robben gets a chance to play a few minutes. Before the game starts the Dutch already know who they will lay against when they are 1st or 2nd in the group, so they might influence the game a bit, although I don't hope it will, I really hope they play to win and become first in the group and I really hope they show better and more attractive football then the first 2 matches.

Gz to England and USA! Wow, that USA qualification was soooo sweated! But very well deserved! :yay:

Half-time in Ghana-Germany and Serbia-Australia. All nill.
If Ghana wins, Serbia only needs a tie to go through. Hell, Australia can pass if they win against Serbia :D.

hope Australia get up there in the second and score(at least once, if thats all they need) :D

Weee now if Ghana can go up and beat Germany too ;)

:cheer::yay::cheer::yay::cheer:

Last edited:
Tomorrow Holland against Cameroon, which only is for the winner in the group.

Yes, as Cameroon are the first and, other than North Korea, only team that have to play again knowing they cannot progress any further it could mean one of two things.

1. They will play lacklustre, as whatever happens they are already out of the competion.

2. They will play very hard in order to try and restore some pride from previous game losses, in particular as this is there home continent. (I've noticed ALL African supporters of other teams backing Ghana as holding the flag for Africa as a whole now. That would never happen in Europe or even Asia.)

Either way, the Dutch know they are through, but I don't think that will make them relax any less.

The real fight is Japan and Denmark, and I'm backing Japan on this one.

I've noticed ALL African supporters of other teams backing Ghana as holding the flag for Africa as a whole now. That would never happen in Europe or even Asia.

LOL, u are sooo right :D.

Brazil - Portugal approaching :). It's a game between brother nations. Good thing is they will play relaxed, non-violently (no need to hurt players at this stage), so expect a very open game, with lots of action... well, i hope so :).

The weird thing about Portugal is: we don't really feel European (we didn't before entering EU, i'm sure of it). We're Atlantic. It's not that we're continentals.. we're oceanic :D. So for many centuries we felt actually closer to americas, africas and even india than europe, lol. Yeah, i know.. i'm drunk :D. It's St John's day, wine is flowing lol. And sardines. Come little fishies!

Last edited:
That was close! Sorry to see SA go, but hey, they were almost qualified! And there were not the last of the group, well above france.

It was a heart-thumper till the last whistle. We actually did okay for a team so poorly ranked, so we can't be too unhappy with the result. Now we bust a lung for Ghana, and keep enjoying a great tournament. Big grats to all those who progress, thanks for showing us your beautiful game. :)

SLOVAKIA-ITALY 3:2 :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

GO SLOVAKIA

Never thouht I'd live to see the day when both the World Champions and Runners up both finish last in there respective groups.

Never thouht I'd live to see the day when both the World Champions and Runners up both finish last in there respective groups.

this brings some... variety :scratch2:

:D

To be honest, the way the French behaved they do not deserve to be in the 1/8 finals and Italy just thought they would walk over Slovakia and they clearly didn't. I'm all for surprises in the World Cup, but I am very happy the Dutch are still in the game and playing Slovakia on Monday. The Dutch haven't played very well the last 3 matches, but I guess Slovakia isn't a big problem, but we must not underestimate them for sure. But with Robben now almost ready to play (he played about 20 minutes today) we should be OK.

Great game by the Japanese tonight, Denmark weren't on form admittedly but they could well cause some of the bigger sides trouble later on in the tournament if they continue to play positively.

Italy is out. Better so (well i m sad about but...), italian have now more time to think about economic crisys and the many other issues raising in the last 10 years without waste time with the soccer oppium.

An Italian

France didn't even deserve to be in South Africa. They qualified with a very irregular goal. Ask Irish. So, justice was made in a very poetic way.
Italy is out too, which is not that bad afterall. Except for that last goal of them, they did not add any kind of spice to this world cup. Italy's style was never of my liking anyway. All too much defensive, faulty and scoring goals in counter-attacks. And when defense fails, well, they get what happened yesterday with Slovakia. 3 in the back of the net. Good job, SLK! Oh, and the Italy team really needs to think about getting some new players, and i mean younger.

Japan, whoa, they are very efficient with those free kicks, they really know how to kick the ball! Very good game against Denmark, which was top of the group during the european qualifyings, ahead of Portugal. This group was for sure the one that yielded the most surprise.

I guess Slovakia isn't a big problem, but we must not underestimate them for sure.

Italy also thought that its a sure win against our team :) But I was sure that we would show a great game against them... not so sure we can do the same against your team... I just hope we wont lose like 4-0 ... I can live with 2-0. Its our first WC, and getting there was a huge success, getting through the Group stage is just spectacular for us :)

I hope it will be a good game :)
Even if we lose, we are already winners :)

Italy also thought that its a sure win against our team :) But I was sure that we would show a great game against them... not so sure we can do the same against your team... I just hope we wont lose like 4-0 ... I can live with 2-0. Its our first WC, and getting there was a huge success, getting through the Group stage is just spectacular for us :)

I hope it will be a good game :)
Even if we lose, we are already winners :)
I guess your soccer team are very alike to your ice hockey team always underestimated, well played against Italy :)

And wow first game I saw with Japan, but if they continue who knows what will happen....
Sorry danish brothers and sisters :(

Back