• No

Votes: 86 61.0%

• Total voters

N. Radioactive

Prowler
Society
Alluvial Peace Alliance
Nicolas Radioactive d'Entremont
Well an other MMORPG who shall remain nameless released a security system much like our Goldcards except it's an app for Ipods/Iphone. So I was thinking that EU could do the same. Maybe even have an app for Android. It wouldn't really be that hard, and would solve the broken/lost GC problem. Anyone like?

idk since these devices either have internet connection or connect to a device with intenret connection couldnt it get compramised?

idk since these devices either have internet connection or connect to a device with intenret connection couldnt it get compramised?

It could be a possibility. I'm not sure how the other MMO's app works. I'll have to look into it more.

if its possible it could get compramised ill stick to my gold card as it is, not voted yet tho...

id most likely vote no on this, rather go with a few weeks to a few month of no EU than to compromise my account but ill wait till bit more info is added before i acctualy vote ;)

What on earth makes you people think that a mobile gcard-app would mean a hacked account?

i have no idea what MMO you refer to, but is this a game that doesnt have any other similar protection to the GC? if so, is this an addition to their normal, basic password security?

the best solution to lost or broken GC is not to lose or break it. transfering anything to another device create additional complexity, potential securty flaws and can be lost or broken too. its not a bad idea, just a bit redundant.

What on earth makes you people think that a mobile gcard-app would mean a hacked account?

when theres a will, theres a way.

unless its 100% certan that it cant be compramised, id rather stick to my gold card, and keep it completely disconnected from the rest of the world.

Still waiting on more info before voting

Since I don't use Ipods/Iphone's , I voted No.

Gold cards are the one thing in EU that most agree isn't broke, so no need to fix. :D

Reactions: Wed
I own an iphone but dont see this so necessary

But on the other hand it would be useful if you want to play from somewhere else and dont have GC with you so I voted yes :)

I'll stick with the old card and reader. I like the fact that they are not connected directly to the web. Also, if I want to hide my card I can.

This is great idea as an additional to a goldcard and or a FREE alternative to a goldcard.

my bank system uses text messages with a code each time no need even for an app, but this will make GC's obsolete and MA cant get 200 ped out of someone with this idea haha

i voted yes

but what about blackberry, last i checked its the only true smartphone, god i hate iphones id take an old ass motorolla over iphone,

BLACKBERRY FOR PRES :D

Imight be stupid or have some kind of other GC but aint it the same sizes as a credit card and the reader you can attach to our keys ?

Thus making it very mobile ??? Dunno bit pointless to invest in a Iphoney app which only a few uses beause ppldont want to be attached to iphone or android

P.S Nokia N900 Now thats a REAAALLL smartphone ... wait it aint a phone itś a portable laptop with phone function .. srry mymistake

Cheaper possibility without batteries, etc: Just a sheet of paper with some numbers on it...

23 287352
42 245113
666 234412

Then just the text: "Please insert #666" or whatever. Problem is: Data must be in a database (like with the gold card, but maybe there the numbers don't stand one after another, but will be created with a "key". Don't know how to explain it now, I'll try it later - 32+ celsius here, I can see the sun, I die xD)...

To many hacking problems on the net...

Bsides They cant seem to get one VU right without a shit load of bugs...Dont think I want em messin with security software just yet.

To many hacking problems on the net...

Bsides They cant seem to get one VU right without a shit load of bugs...Dont think I want em messin with security software just yet.

Thing is there`s lots of open source code out there they can easily use to make such application. Something which is very easy to build upon or replicate.

Yes, theoretically it`s not as safe as a gold card, the exact equivalent in terms of security but adds an extra layer of protection for those who need it which can be easily made available for free.

p.s: The chance for someone to hack both your ingame pass and iphone/android phone program are very very low. It would easily reduce hacking by over 90%.

Mindark could use a system similar to which is used by paypal. which it doesnt' have a card, only a "reader", and the "reader" has already the "card" already inside. (i.e., it's a little device with a screen that displays a code and a button)

You can search for yourself this security device.

(at least is not about a MMORPG :laugh: )

The potential outcome

Here it goes, leave the GC alone

[YOUTUBE]uA0LPVVLhnE[/YOUTUBE]

Easy log in but do you want it to expand to this:D :(

I voted yes since I do have a iphone that I carry 99% of the time, but I do have concerns of wheter it will be as secure as the current gold card.

Not knowing if more secure or not (major factor) some of the benefits I can currently think of.

My Iphone is always charged and at my sidee

one less thing to carry with me when I travel

Current gold card has broke on me before

Yes I guess the iphone could have a mis hape but I can get anothr faster then a gold card and the aplication should be backed up to my main computers so I could be up and running in less then a day if the iphone was to break or get lost; instead of a week or a few with MA having to replace the card.

But even with all this , if the aplication is not as secure or better then the current gold card I would decline it.

Mindark could use a system similar to which is used by paypal. which it doesnt' have a card, only a "reader", and the "reader" has already the "card" already inside. (i.e., it's a little device with a screen that displays a code and a button)

You can search for yourself this security device.

(at least is not about a MMORPG :laugh: )

My sisters work used to have a card like this, infact it was even better then the current gold card because the code it gave you was good for 1 or 2 mins (guess it was time based). Unlike the current gold card code that is good until the next time you log on (if you don't use the code it will not expire)

Well I looked into it, and it works pretty much the same as a GC. It generates 1 time use codes that you need to log in. They also have a device like our GC's except no card. You press a button and it generates a code. As for being hacked... The app itself wouldn't be sending any data over the net would it? So how would someone hack it? Plus the codes on the Iphone continously change every 10 seconds so you would need a really fast hacker to get into it if it would be possible.

Altho theres a virus going around that can still hack accounts from this unnamed game that I am takling about. It takes the password/code that you put in and sends the wrong one to the game server so the player gets a wrong password error then it sends the right one to the hackers where they can log into the victim account. SO it's not the GC app getting hacked it's the victim's computer. Something like that could still work with EU's current GC system. Witch is a kinda scary thought.

I would watch carefully to see that a virus like this doesn't get into the EU community. It could be way worse that in the other game.

...As for being hacked... The app itself wouldn't be sending any data over the net would it? So how would someone hack it?

the Iphone/Android etc has an internet connection. anything with an internet connection has an exposure to being hacked.

... SO it's not the GC app getting hacked it's the victim's computer. Something like that could still work with EU's current GC system. Witch is a kinda scary thought.

and such an attack could compromise any mobile phone based app too. unless you are sending a direct code through a SSH session, but you said the app doesnt make a connection itself.

Very good idea.

I already use VIP Access for Mobile on some other occasions and it works just great.

token_signin.gif

Last edited:
Maybe a solution like my internet bank.
The bank sents a pin as text message, when I make a transfer.
This pin is only valid for a couple of minutes.

Simple but secure I think.

lol I should read the whole thread not only the beginning... ;)

Last edited:
On another note, one reason for MA to stick to physically shipping readers may be the address verification. ;)

Back